most bizarre interview moment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At Yale, they have 2 computers in the MD/PhD office/lobby area. A couple of us were waiting for interviewers to come grab us. I was waiting for the MD/PhD director to come get me. I waited about 15 mins, and still no word, so finally I went over to the computer and got on the internet. Of course, I went to the studentdoctor website and started browsing the forums.

I found a thread about another school at which I had recently interviewed and liked a lot. I was in the process of writing a post about how I liked that school a lot and how the interview there was.

Suddenly I hear the MD/PhD director directly behind me. He said "Gradient Echo, are you ready for me now?"

I froze for a sec and frantically closed the web browser down. I think it was too late though because it felt like he had been standing there for a few seconds before he said anything to me. I dont know for sure if he saw what I was writing, but nevertheless I tried to avoid talking about Yale in particular and luckily he didnt ask me to explain why I liked yale.

I got put on the MD and MD/PhD waitlist, got accepted off the MD waitlist, and then withdrew myself from the MD/PhD waitlist a couple of days later.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by pAkhtmAn
I had a friend who interviewed at the University of Chicago. Before he went into his interview with the dean, he went to use the bathroom. Naturally, while using the bathroom, he threw his tie over his shoulder so things wouldn't get messy. Well, he comes out of the bathroom and goes to the interview, and, during the entire interview, his tie lying on his shoulder. When he walks out, a friend comments "Whow, he must of really blown you away!":laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't happen to me, but before one interview, there was a guy in my group that had his necktie on in strange way.

It wasn't tied in a knot, but kinda hung straight down.

Being an old(er) fart, I figured it was some new kinda fashion thing, and thought nothing of it.

After the interviews, I was talking to the guy, and he looked kinda weirded out, so I asked him what was up. He told me that the interviewer looked at his tie and asked him what was up with the tie, and he answered that he didn't know how to tie it. I think the interview went south after that.

****! I felt so bad. He shoulda said something, I would've tied it for him.

In general, though, you ever notice how loud your stomach rumbles during an interview? Man, it was killing me!

- Tae

When I was asked by my SLU interviewer (a regional interview at a big Seattle hotel) what I would like to change about myself, I couldn't think of what to say, but as I was gazing out the window at the traffic, I suddently blurted "I wish I had a better sense of direction." He burst out laughing. I got in.

This has to be one of the funniest threads I've read on sdn. I've been laughing out loud for the past 4 pages. I can't add since I haven't interviewed yet. But I can't decide if I'm more nervous for the interviews or anticipating them more after reading your stories! It's amazing what kind of people are on some of the adcoms!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Cochira
one of mine talked to me about Vietnamese Spring rolls :confused: .

So yummy, by the way...

-RA

Originally posted by GregiG
Rush -- Explain all of your non-A grades. What a nut. I think he wanted to make sure I am not a crazy grade-driven psycho, so I just said I don't feel I need to explain them, I think my grades are just fine and he dropped it.

That's good. You didn't get on the defensive.

-RA

Originally posted by brickmanli
I was playing pool in the student lounge at Buffalo when the interviewer came to get me. He told me to finish my shot and I managed to sink two at the same time.

I got accepted a few days later.

Wow...best acceptance story ever...

-RA

Members don't see this ad :)
keep those interview stories coming!

beer1.gif

This wasn't really a moment, but a whole interview. My interviewer kept alternating between very laid-back and chatty about mutual interests (mainly music), and very ramrod-stiff/straight and grilling me about my app, ethics, etc. It was very hard to keep making the adjustments gracefully. It didn't help that it was my first interview and the only top 10 school that had shown any interest in me. (I got in).

Originally posted by SMW
This wasn't really a moment, but a whole interview. My interviewer kept alternating between very laid-back and chatty about mutual interests (mainly music), and very ramrod-stiff/straight and grilling me about my app, ethics, etc. It was very hard to keep making the adjustments gracefully. It didn't help that it was my first interview and the only top 10 school that had shown any interest in me. (I got in).

wow - at least u got in!!

At U of Arizona last week...

My interviewer, fortunately, was very easy to talk with - a "real' person (and "only" a PhD to boot! HA!) Anyway, she asked me about my research experience. I've been working with a plastic surgeon on implant migration and skin stretch following breast augmentation. She asked me to explain further, and I, being the gesturing fool that I am, began to touch and point to my breast near the inframammary fold (where the lower part of the breast meets the chest). Mid explanation I realize that I'm at this practically pulling on my breasts to exemplify some of our findings. I stopped, paused talking, and made the joke that this was probably the only time it was acceptable to touch oneself during an interview...
She howled and belly laughed at my joke, and agreed through her roaring snorts and snickers! Whew!

Lesson learned: I'll have to watch my hands in the future! Yikes!

Don't know if I'm in...but let's just say that A) the interview went an hour over schedule and B) SHE GAVE ME A HUGE BEAR HUG AT THE END OF THE INTERVIEW with a resounding "You go girl!"

"Pleasurable" interview, to say the least!

Reactions: 1 users
Originally posted by Pinki
I stopped, paused talking, and made the joke that this was probably the only time it was acceptable to touch oneself during an interview...
She howled and belly laughed at my joke, and agreed through her roaring snorts and snickers! Whew!

Lesson learned: I'll have to watch my hands in the future! Yikes!

Don't know if I'm in...but let's just say that A) the interview went an hour over schedule and B) SHE GAVE ME A HUGE BEAR HUG AT THE END OF THE INTERVIEW with a resounding "You go girl!"

"Pleasurable" interview, to say the least!

Nice! Maybe the guy with the woody (search for "erection") should have tried a similar tactic... ;)

-RA

my weirdest moment was when I got asked at Tulane if I really thought slaves had been used in flood fight protection after they had run out of sandbags during the great flood of 1917 (might be 1918, can't remember). my interviewer and I had both read the same book on the mississippi river which mentioned this technique.

Okay, I thought this was the kind of thing that only happens on sitcoms:

So this past thursday I'm on the plane flying out to Hartford for my Yale interview. When we land, the flight attendant says something about "Enjoy your stay, or welcome home." The man sitting next to me asks if I'm visiting, and I told him that yes, in fact this was my first time in New England at all. He asked what I was out here for, and eventually I explained that I was very excited because I had an interview at YMS.

He asked if they had a good school, and I went on about how well respected they are, and how cool the Yale system is. I said that I was excited because I didn't think I'd even get an interview, and I didn't think I'd get in because it's such a good school and I'm from a state school in the Midwest - mostly I wanted to get a sweatshirt and a picture of myself there to prove to people that I interviewed at Yale! :)
Then he said that after the initial screening the committee doesn't really consider things like undergrad school, and he was sure that I would have an excellent interview. :confused: This was when I asked him how he knew about the admissions process there.

"I'm in the administration at the medical school. I'm the chair of their internal medicine department." :eek: :eek: :eek:

My response - "Are you making this up? Really?" (Very smooth!)

So as we're leaving the plane, he offers to give me a ride down to New Haven (I already had a rental car). Then he introduces me to the head of their transplant unit who was also on our flight. Before he left, he gave me his name and office phone number, in case I had any free time after my interview and wanted to talk some more. He also asked for my name because "I'll be sure to remember it later." AHHHHH! THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE!

So the moral of the story is: Be nice to people sitting next to you on planes/in the airport/at restaurants! You just never know!:)

Originally posted by Woots32
Okay, I thought this was the kind of thing that only happens on sitcoms:

So this past thursday I'm on the plane flying out to Hartford for my Yale interview. When we land, the flight attendant says something about "Enjoy your stay, or welcome home." The man sitting next to me asks if I'm visiting, and I told him that yes, in fact this was my first time in New England at all. He asked what I was out here for, and eventually I explained that I was very excited because I had an interview at YMS.

He asked if they had a good school, and I went on about how well respected they are, and how cool the Yale system is. I said that I was excited because I didn't think I'd even get an interview, and I didn't think I'd get in because it's such a good school and I'm from a state school in the Midwest - mostly I wanted to get a sweatshirt and a picture of myself there to prove to people that I interviewed at Yale! :)
Then he said that after the initial screening the committee doesn't really consider things like undergrad school, and he was sure that I would have an excellent interview. :confused: This was when I asked him how he knew about the admissions process there.

"I'm in the administration at the medical school. I'm the chair of their internal medicine department." :eek: :eek: :eek:

So as we're leaving the plane, he offers to give me a ride down to New Haven (I already had a rental car). Then he introduces me to the head of their transplant unit who was also on our flight. Before he left, he gave me his name and office phone number, in case I had any free time after my interview and wanted to talk some more. He also asked for my name because "I'll be sure to remember it later." AHHHHH! THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE!

So the moral of the story is: Be nice to people sitting next to you on planes/in the airport/at restaurants! You just never know!:)

is this weird?

or just great? good for u!

Maybe not "wierd", but definately surreal! :laugh:

I didn't think I'd get in because it's such a good school and I'm from a state school in the Midwest

Just taking a minute to send a shout out/congrats to a fellow UIUCer :D

:wow:

(was looking through the smilies available, and I really wanted to use this one...figured this might be a good place ;))

Absolutely fantastic story. You were totally natural in your responses to him and handled the situation very well. This is definitely not weird, just a crazy coincidence. I'd bet money you get in.

And the next day just got wierder...

While I was at lunch w/ some of the med students, I was talking to one of the M1 guys (very cute, btw!) about being from Illinois. He asked where, and I told him about my hometown of 15,000 near the Iowa border. He said, "Oh, that name sounds familiar" and takes off across the cafeteria, and comes back w/ another guy. WHO WAS FROM MY HOMETOWN! :eek: (To put this in perspective, my HS class was about 250, and it's a good year if half go on to college, most at a community college.) Turns out his family goes to my church, and his dad and my dad work together!

So this is not exactly a weird "interview" story, but it made my day wierder than it alread was! :laugh:

my favorite interview experience with a fellow applicant had to be at UT Houston. during a Q&A session, a guy asked if the Baylor and Houston students got along. I went up to the guy afterwards and asked him if he was interviewing at Baylor soon since I was going to be there in a week. the guy says to me "I haven't even filled out my secondary yet (it is VERY easy BTW) but I am an excellent applicant and should have no problem." I was thinking, dang, it is already the end of September, you must be pretty sure of yourself. He sat around looking smug all day. Good luck I guess to Mr. Smug!

And the next day just got wierder...

While I was at lunch w/ some of the med students, I was talking to one of the M1 guys (very cute, btw!) about being from Illinois. He asked where, and I told him about my hometown of 15,000 near the Iowa border. He said, "Oh, that name sounds familiar" and takes off across the cafeteria, and comes back w/ another guy. WHO WAS FROM MY HOMETOWN! :eek: (To put this in perspective, my HS class was about 250, and it's a good year if half go on to college, most at a community college.) Turns out his family goes to my church, and his dad and my dad work together!

So this is not exactly a weird "interview" story, but it made my day wierder than it alread was! :laugh:

It is fate. This is where somebody starts a dialog referencing the story of Dune.

-while flying into one city for an interview (nameless school), I sat next to the director of the neuro class for 1st year students at that school. learned quite a bit about that school talking to her for 2+ hours.

-
at one of my interviews in which there was a mixup of my file and i had to go to an alternative interviewer, i get off of the shuttle at the wrong main entrance. (it was blocked off for some reason and there's no one around since its on the same side as the street and no parking lot). (just my luck that i had forgotten to bring my cell phone so i couldn't call to ask for directions....ughhh! [i think murphy's law has some truthfulness to it after this experience]) after walking around in confusion for a few minutes, i run across a patient who had just exited the main entrance (u can exit, but not enter w/o security card) and he generously leads me to the other main entrance where i could enter freely. besides these mixups, my interviewers were great!

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
i think murphy's law has some truthfulness to it after this experience.. after walking around in confusion for a few minutes, i run across a patient who had just exited the main entrance (u can exit, but not enter w/o security card) and he generously leads me to the other main entrance where i could enter freely. besides these mixups, my interviewers were great!

I know how you felt! When I was trying to get to my Yale interview, the main door was locked. I was starting to run late, so I began frantically running around the builidng (in heels!) trying to find a way in. Finally I saw some delivery trucks pulled up to a service/docking area next to the kitchen. I climbed up the 4-ft. concrete ledge and started wandering around - looked like the cafeteria was planning on serving salmon. :) Then I took a service elevator up to the first floor, and eventually made it to the admin office. So together w/ my other wierd Yale stories, I think this was officially one of the strangest days of my life.

On an embarrasing side note... Last week I had an interview at Iowa, where one of my best friends from high school is a undergrad. I hadn't seen her for 6 months, so naturally we wanted to go out - and ended up closing the bars. The next morning at my interview I went to shake hands w/ the receptionist and realized that I still had the gigantic bar stamp across the back of my hand. While I'm in the ladies' room frantically scrubbing away, a woman gives me a knowing look, laughs at me and asks if I had a rough night. So imagine my horror when she later comes into the conference room and introduces herself as their assistant admissions director, especially since she kept catching me rubbing my eyes, trying to make my hangover go away. :oops:

So the moral of the story - If you're going to celebrate an interview, do it the night after, not the night before. ;)

On an embarrasing side note... Last week I had an interview at Iowa, where one of my best friends from high school is a undergrad. I hadn't seen her for 6 months, so naturally we wanted to go out - and ended up closing the bars. The next morning at my interview I went to shake hands w/ the receptionist and realized that I still had the gigantic bar stamp across the back of my hand. While I'm in the ladies' room frantically scrubbing away, a woman gives me a knowing look, laughs at me and asks if I had a rough night. So imagine my horror when she later comes into the conference room and introduces herself as their assistant admissions director, especially since she kept catching me rubbing my eyes, trying to make my hangover go away. :oops:

So the moral of the story - If you're going to celebrate an interview, do it the night after, not the night before. ;)

That's so funny. :)

Interview advice from Woots!:
If you're going to celebrate, wash your hands and bring the visine. :)

Originally posted by spacecadet
Mine aren't that good, but here goes...

At UTMB, I asked my interviewer if he was an MD. He said, no he's a PhD. I then said "oh, only a PhD", then immediately tried to cover my tracks with how great it is to have PhD and I didn't mean that. Ugh! That interview didn't go well...

i can't believe that you said that. i would walk right out or kill myself at scene.

Originally posted by Adcadet
Two years ago I interviewed at the University of Minnesota. I got the info on who I'd be interviewed by, and got his basic info. A radiologist, older (~70 years old), did his undergrad, med school, and residency at the U of MN. I had friends who had interviewed at the U of MN, and all said that it was pretty laid back.

So, after the basic questions about my research and volunteer stuff, he asked if I had any questions.

Me: "I noticed from your website that you did most of your training at U of MN, and you've come back to be on the faculty...why did you go to MN and why did you stay?"

Him: "because it is here"

Me: blank look

Him: blank look

Me: how has the program changed since you were a student? Do you think it's better, worse, or just different

Him: I don't know.

Now, at the time I was in a serious relationship and almost ready to propose (I later did - we're getting married in May of this year). So I had some questions about family life and all...changing gears a bit

Me: "I noticed the ring on your finger...are you married?"

Him: no

Me: I'm going to be marrying my girlfriend in the next few years...I know that medical school is challenging and requires a lot of time...how do people balance their academic and professional obligations with their personal life?

Him: I don't know

Me: blank look....

Him: well, is there anything else?

Me: not that I can think of

Him: well, I really have nothing to do with your admission. I just fill out these forms. I really have no idea what your chances are, but I wish you the best of luck.
</interview>
AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
I interivewed late in the season (I took the August MCAT), and I interviewed in January. The U of MN was very late processing my app (the interviewer was slow getting my info back to the admissions office), and then they put me on "hold" for a month and then finally rejected me. Since them I found out that they had a really good reason for rejecting me (let's just say MAKE SURE YOU AKS FOR GOOD LORS...PM me if you have questions), and perhaps the interviewer knew that I was DOA to begin with.

a 70 years old radiologist with a ring... if i were you, i will suspect that he must have an unhappy story about his past relationship, perhaps a broken family, perhaps his wife left her for being malpracticing or negligence or over-devotion into materialism such as money... whatever it is, for such an old hopeless rude man, i will be bold to dig it out. i will ask him why are you wearing a ring? u ever married? how come she left u? what happened? how come u seem unhappy?
i will give him a stress interview. most importantly, perhaps he needs someone to revive him by confrontation.
hope this makes u feel better. i just think that there are way too many old physician out there who lost the joy of life and have really no passion whatsoever in their career and their pathetic ill-managed life from the ever-so-stressful and hard-to-understand community.
quoted from atul gawande, " doctor belong to an insular world- one of hemorrhages and lab tests and people sliced open. we are for the moment the healthy few who live among the sick. and it is easy to become alien to the experiences and sometimes the values of the rest of civilization. ours is a world even our families do not grasp. this is, in certain respects, the experience of athletes and soldiers and professional musicians. unlike them, however, we are not only removed, we are also alone. once residency is over and you've settled in Sleepy Eye or the northern peninsula of Michigan, or for that matter, Manhattan, the slew of patients and isolation of practice take you away from anyone who really knows what it is like to cut a stomach cancer from a patient or lose her to a pneumonia afterward or answer the family's accusing questions or fight with insurers to get paid."

at one of my recent interviews i had a classic. i got thru the "tell me about yourself" question and the next one was: "do you know what the main antigen presenting cell in the epidermis is?" :eek: my stupid mistake, i did know the answer. (should have right there gone with "uh, antigen presenting cell?? huh?) this interview was closed-file and i never mentioned that i had a decent immuno background, so the guy fired this out of the thin air. after that question, i got all sorts of cytokine activation questions (which cytokine is the primary activator of Th1 cells in the epidermis?) and APC-Tcell interaction questions (now i know that psoriasis and other skin rashes are caused when tcells accidentally get into the epidermis and are mistakenly activated by APCs). good GAWD. my guess is this guy was an immunologist who studied the skin. b/c uh yeah, my knowledge of langerhaans cells really *does* have a bearing of whether i'd do well at their med school... :rolleyes: (come to think of it, i believe he related my german last name w/that of langerhaans....)

after that grilling, he got mad at me b/c i told him i wasn't the biggest fan of mozart's solo piano works. now, i'm not just making these opinions up, i've played piano for over 20 years now and i'm familiar w/a lot of mozart. he starts going off about how if i had *ever* read lizst's biography of mozart, i would better understand the "pain behind the music." etc etc etc. ok, i know these things, i'm just not the biggest fan of his solo piano works! i also, when asked my opinion, said i wasn't big on mahler either. he got mad at me for that. :rolleyes:

the weirdest part of this interview is that when it was all over (thank heavens), he told me i was a "joy to talk to" and he showed me his little paper he had been taking notes on and he had literally written "excellent excellent excellent excellent." after that guy, i got a cognitive psychiatrist who didn't let me do ANY talking and proceeded to analyze my posture and my gestures. thruout the entire day, i was sitting there going "omg, i'm THAT girl. the one who gets the psychotic interviewers!"

London girl here. I'm applying to med school next year so don't have any stories myself, but a friend of mine made what he thought was a big mistake in the interview:

Interviewer: You've indicated you want to go into Primary Care. What is the reason for that?

Mate: Well I don't really like hospitals......

He was accepted into the school a few weeks later!

Our UK admissions guides say that good interviews (i.e. where you just chat generally and don't get asked really tough questions) mean they will reject you.

It's the people who manage to survive bad interviews that get in because it proves you're good under pressure.

And just in case you're wondering, my mate got out of the above mistake by saying that although hospitals provided a challenging environment, he would prefer to treat people closer to home.
Must have worked!

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
the weirdest part of this interview is that when it was all over (thank heavens), he told me i was a "joy to talk to" and he showed me his little paper he had been taking notes on and he had literally written "excellent excellent excellent excellent." after that guy, i got a cognitive psychiatrist who didn't let me do ANY talking and proceeded to analyze my posture and my gestures. thruout the entire day, i was sitting there going "omg, i'm THAT girl. the one who gets the psychotic interviewers!"

Wow. They should really have a screening process for interviewers, instead of, "hi Dr. ~, we need someone to fill in..." or whatever their current procedure is.

i thot i would share my entertaining interview story. :)
firstly, i live about an hour and half away from the interview....so i thot i could drive there this morning with no problem. of course i get stuck in morning traffic....combined with getting slightly lost....i manage to get there about 15 mins late. i kinda felt bad, until i realized i really wasnt all that late compared to another student. he went to the med schools undergrad....and aparently had to much to drink the nite before. he showed up two hours late and obviously hung over. it was quite intertaining for the rest of us. especially when he tried to blame it on his alarm clock...and the fact that his watch was set on eastern time. combine that with the recent time change....and technically he should have been two hours early. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
poor dude....i felt sorry for him. but u gotta love it....

Ok, this is not a personal story, but it's hilarious. I got this from a meeting about doing interviews. One of the WashU admit people was telling us about how to dress and how not to for interviews. Out of nowhere she starts giggling and finally says," I"m sorry, I was just thinking of this kid that came in with the tags hanging off his suit!" The whole room was howling cause she could not stop laughing.
She admitted him without even reading his stats a second time.
:laugh:

The day before my Cornell interview I decided to tag along with my student host to his small group section. While in there, the physician in charge of the group decided to ask me questions about "african sleeping sickness", effects of anemia on malaria, and a few other things.

To his surprise I nailed every question. I later heard from my student host that the entire group of students was talking me up after I left.

The next morning I walked in to have my interview, and to my amazement it was the same physician who was running the small group section. After he saw me, he grabbed my file, ran up and said "Dr UCLA2k" it's your turn.

Here's another story.

At my UCSD interview Dr. Resnick (the dean of admissions) gave the same bullsh*t speech that he always gives.

"You'd be an idiot to go out of state if you get accepted to a UC school. You get the same education for a fraction of the price..yada yada yada".

Later that day I discovered that Dr. Resnick was my interviewer. (mind you that by this time I already had an acceptance in my pocket and more on the way).

When the time came for me to ask questions I asked him where he went to med school

Him: I went to CWRU.

Me: oh that's interesting, Why didn't you go to a UC instead?

Him: Well, I got into some UC's, but at that time it wasn't that expensive to go to Private schools....It was only like 3k ( a year or a semester..I don't remember).

Me: Wow it was 3K?..And how much was it to go to a UC school?

Him: (uncomfortable look on his face..shifting in his chair) well...it was free.

Me: Well when you went to school 3k was alot more than it is now, so I have to ask. Why did you choose to pay 3k to go to a private school rather than go to a UC for free, especially since you say that "it's the same education"?

Him: made up some bullsh*t, and ended the interview.

Believe it or not, I was placed on the acceptable list, and was actually accepted a few months later.

Here's my interview story. I was interviewing at a school in New Orleans and my interviewer asked me if I had a chance to get out and see the city at all. I said that I had, as my student host had taken me out the night before and showed me the French Quarter and Bourbon Street. The interviewer then said "So you must have had a pretty good anatomy lesson last night."

Without thinking, I replied "Oh man, yeah, it was great!"

When I realized what I had just said, I tried to catch myself. It was an honest mistake, really, because we had been talking about the city and it's layout and stuff so I thought he meant I must have gotten a good lesson in the anatomy of the city. I said so, in very embarrassed and bumbling words, and I think he believed me. Luckily, when he heard my answer he just burst into huge heaves of laughter. I think the rest of the interview went really well, but for a split second I thought I had completely blown it. I just misunderstood him--honest.

I had an interview at Michigan State that I kinda didn't care about going to... and slept in 'til 9:20. My interview day started at 9:30. So like I go to MSU or whatever, so I was only a few minutes away... but it still blew having to hurry up and get dressed up and race there. Got there a few minutes late... looked like an idiot, but oh well.

I liked the school surprisingly more than I thought I would though (for those interested in MSU). I'm just sick of being here and need something new

Originally posted by kreno
I had an interview at Michigan State that I kinda didn't care about going to... and slept in 'til 9:20. My interview day started at 9:30. So like I go to MSU or whatever, so I was only a few minutes away... but it still blew having to hurry up and get dressed up and race there. Got there a few minutes late... looked like an idiot, but oh well.

I liked the school surprisingly more than I thought I would though (for those interested in MSU). I'm just sick of being here and need something new

Hehe...This happens at Yale, I heard too. They start the interview day at 7:45AM, and the Yale students are the ones they have to wait for. I guess this is more common than I thought. :)

Originally posted by kreno

Then why did you apply?