most bizarre interview moment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It seems like this would violate a fire code or something.

my lab building is like this too. You can get out on the ground floor, but you cant exit the stairwell on any other level and get to the labs without card access

My awkward interview moments that I havent already mentioned earlier in the thread:

• one interviewer asked me if a friend had ever come to me for help, like with a drug problem. He was visibly disappointed when I said that none of my friends had drug problems or had shown signs of having any drug problems, although I keep an eye out for my friends and would gently offer to help them and give them support if they showed a sign of having one. Result: low waitlist that is essentially a rejection

• I asked a student interviewer at USUHS why he had chosen to go to USUHS over Texas Tech after being accepted to both, and he answered that Lubbock was a s***hole and he'd rather commit to the military for 7 years than live there, ever. I tried not to stare. Result: acceptance

• The extra-long nosehair (see a few posts up). Result: post-interview hold, still. Yes, still on hold on May 15.

• A female student interviewer at a top30 school asked me to tell her one of the stories of the Greek myths (I'm a Classical studies minor). Instantaneously, every myth fled from my head except those that involved a god raping a human woman or a god taking the form of an animal or inanimate object and raping a woman (to be fair, that means only like 25% of myths fled from my head). I squirmed the tiniest bit in my seat but skillfully dissembled by commenting that many of the myths had the same theme, which was that the gods have superhuman powers but share common human flaws and thus were the Greek's way of telling themselves stories about themselves--who they themselves were and what they themselves were like. Result: good position on waitlist. But there was definitely a very uncomfortable and awkward moment until I came up with that answer!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Disappointed there aren't more stories this year, I love this thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
I accidentally drank from my interviewers cup of water. When she let me know, I didn't really know what to do so I spit it back into the cup.

While I was interviewing, the lady asked me my favorite book and a book that I recently read. Pretty standard...

The 2 books that popped out of my mouth were Crime and Punishment - a book about a murderous thief - and The Devil in the White City - a book about a murderous physician in Chicago. She nodded her head (somewhat condescendingly) as I tried to justify these choices by explaining the depravity of human behavior.

Result: Accepted :laugh:

I think I've probably posted most of these "adventures" in other threads, but they would fit here too. Note, these were from when I applied in 08.

School A:

-My interview itinerary had more than a few typos on it. Two of the room numbers were off, and I ended up showing up to interview at a computer lab and a cold room. By the time the admissions office cleared things up, I was about 20 minutes late to both interviews.

-One of my interviewers ended up being on shift at the ER during my interview time. She left a note telling me to go to the ER and complete my interview there. She grilled me about my research while stitching up a patient's leg. The patient was laughing the entire time.

-The admissions people left for the day before my interviews were over and my coat was locked in their office overnight. It was snowing.

-I was the only female applicant on my interview day which apparently prompted the dean to make jokes about "picking up and dealing with chicks in medical school" for a prolonged period of time.

Result: Accepted, but did not attend

School B:

-I had an interview on the third floor of a brand new building, and decided to take the stairs rather than the elevator. Apparently, this building had all of the stairways and labs protected by card-readers, and I got my special-self locked in a stairwell. I had to call the admissions office to come and let me out.

Result: Currently attending. My ID card now lets me use this building without fear.

School C:

-The dean of admissions asked me how I felt about the legalization of marijuana. I told him that I didn't see how it warranted different treatment than substances like cigarettes and alcohol, and that if the latter two were legal, marijuana should be legalized too. Granted, any fallout from this question was my fault, but I didn't see the point in lying about my views.

Result: Waitlisted

This could easily be me.......

1. A kid at one of my interviews kept on taking pictures. Like all the time. During presentations. During tours. They had to tell him to knock it out in anatomy lab. Like people would be talking and he'd bust out this camera and take pictures. So weird.
  2. A guy at one of my interviews kept on following like a foot behind me, kept on touching me on my forearm and totally hitting on me the whole time, then asked me if I wanted to get something afterwards. I was flattered, and he was totally hot. Unfortunately, it's an interview and I needed to be professional. Oh, and I'm a guy too. And completely not gay. First time I've been hit on by a gay guy - it feels pretty awesome tbh.

1. a kid at one of my interviews kept on taking pictures. Like all the time. During presentations. During tours. They had to tell him to knock it out in anatomy lab. Like people would be talking and he'd bust out this camera and take pictures. So weird.
  2. a guy at one of my interviews kept on following like a foot behind me, kept on touching me on my forearm and totally hitting on me the whole time, then asked me if i wanted to get something afterwards. I was flattered, and he was totally hot. Unfortunately, it's an interview and i needed to be professional. oh, and i'm a guy too. And completely not gay. First time i've been hit on by a gay guy - it feels pretty awesome tbh.

lol!!

First time I've completely shot down someone who was totally into me. On the one hand, he was a dude. On the other hand, can I really afford to be that picky? He was way hotter than me. I should have said yes just to be flattered some more and possibly get free food.

On a related note, for the gay guys and girls on SDN...this incident has made me a bit curious - how often is your radar completely wrong and what exactly happens in that situation?

I feel so awkward saying stuff like this. I'm not a doctor yet, so talking about the specific clinical manifestations of different diseases comes off to me as trying too hard.

That happened to me too. One of my interviews was with a 4th year med student. Her big question at the middle of the interview was this medical ethics question on how would I handle a patient who needs a treatment but due to her religion she doesn't want it.

I was like "Well I imagine in medical school they will teach us how to deal with that... not to mention in a hospital setting they have specific people trained in this sort of thing. I would approach them or find someone on the medical staff who knows more about their religion to help me with the consult..."

But yea, this interviewer didn't want any of that. "You're avoiding the question!!!:mad::mad:" She loudly protested. I mean what the heck, I don't know how to deal with legal/medical ethics yet, they don't teach us that in Gen Bio and O-Chem. That's what medical school if for, sheesh.

I got denied btw.

Haha someone said I wouldnt make it in med school since I didn't have undergrad bio. I may or may not make it in med school but I know people from my post bac who are doing just fine without undergrad biochem.

One of my interviewers asked for my advice on applying to med school because his daughter is a senior in high school and wants to study medicine. I felt like this dude should already know what is being sought in med school applicants because he is the one interviewing them...

Members don't see this ad :)
I once talked about Transformers 2 with an interviewer (brought up "Transformers" as a topic that I'd engage little kids in conversation about when I was working with them at a children's clinic). He asked me what I thought about the movie- I told him that I felt that Michael Bay certainly delivered a good dose of special effects that made for an action-packed movie that was enjoyable for audiences of all ages. My interviewer replied by stating that he found some of the humor to be a little crude.

My second interviewer asked me what I did in my spare time, so I told him that I enjoyed playing guitar and bass. He lit up and asked me if I "got down" when I played. I was a little surprised by his choice of words, so he repeated himself and did a mix of an air-guitar/guitar-jump gesture.

Waitlisted at that place, but didn't wind up going there anyways.

First time I've completely shot down someone who was totally into me. On the one hand, he was a dude. On the other hand, can I really afford to be that picky? He was way hotter than me. I should have said yes just to be flattered some more and possibly get free food.

On a related note, for the gay guys and girls on SDN...this incident has made me a bit curious - how often is your radar completely wrong and what exactly happens in that situation?

Contemplating about your sexual orientation ;) lol?? I kid

Contemplating if it's worth it for a free meal. I come back with 50/50.

Ah. I should have thought of that when the student interviewer (male) at one school made a pass at me [previously mentioned in the hilarious moments on interview trail thread]. I was super hungry that day too... damn.

IMO there is no such thing as going too far if a free meal is on the line.

This reminds me of that South Park episode where there is this undercover cop posing as a hooker and he goes all the way with a male client to arrest him

This reminds me of that South Park episode where there is this undercover cop posing as a hooker and he goes all the way with a male client to arrest him

lmao is that your fantasy? :laugh:

It's funny, but it's kinda messed up to lead someone on like that. :smuggrin:

IMO there is no such thing as going too far if a free meal is on the line.

Sooo, you'd eat a poop hotdog for a free meal? lol

This thread is by far the funniest s*** I have ever read! :thumbup: I have been at work bored and reading this for the last 3 days and I have finally come to the end. Let's just hope I will think it is worth the laughter when I am out of a job. I can't wait until I can contribute my bizarre/awkward moments.

...I hope my PI doesn't read SDN :D

Oh yeah I just remembered another- actually one of my friends' experiences. A few days before an interview, he suffered a little injury when he crashed his bike and had to be on painkillers. Sat through his interview on Percocet while in a semi-lucid state. Not sure if he remembered everything, but he got an acceptance a few weeks later. That aside, the class notes/doodles he took while he was on painkillers were amusingly indecipherable.

I just read this whole thread, I haven't laughed so hard in a while!!

Congrats to the people who got in despite the hell they were put through and good luck to all of you who haven't interviewed yet but will be in the upcoming months :luck:

There seems to be more than a few interviewers wanting info about your perspective on other medical schools. Stuff like "Any other schools you're interviewing with?" or "Is school X your first choice school?" Is it fine to point out that there are conflict of interest issues in answering and that you'd rather not talk about it?

One of my interviewers asked me to draw a cube on a piece of paper so I drew one of those "3d" cubes.

Rejected.

Wth how are you supposed to draw a cube in 2d? Wouldn't it just be a square...?

I'm picturing this btw

plain_cube.gif

Wth how are you supposed to draw a cube in 2d? Wouldn't it just be a square...?

I'm picturing this btw

plain_cube.gif

:laugh: haha i too have been wondering this. I would have done the same thing are we missing a joke?

:laugh: haha i too have been wondering this. I would have done the same thing are we missing a joke?

I'm guessing it's one of those cubes that all the kids doodle in their notebooks in 3rd grade...you know, draw two interlocking squares then connect the corners.

400px-necker-cube.png

Probably meant the iced-former-rapper-turned-family-comedy-actor kind

I'm guessing it's one of those cubes that all the kids doodle in their notebooks in 3rd grade...you know, draw two interlocking squares then connect the corners.

400px-necker-cube.png

thanks for the stress relief vid on your sig... defintely wasn't expecting that lol

-One of my interviewers ended up being on shift at the ER during my interview time. She left a note telling me to go to the ER and complete my interview there. She grilled me about my research while stitching up a patient's leg. The patient was laughing the entire time.

^ One of my favorites so far

i accidentally drank from my interviewers cup of water. When she let me know, i didn't really know what to do so i spit it back into the cup.

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

I've told this story so many times, and it still makes me laugh. I stood up to shake hands at the end of an interview and passed out. My foot had been hooked around the chair leg, which somehow caused me to sprain my ankle on the way down. I left on crutches.

hahahahaaaa awe this is cute

Interview season's starting up again pretty soon! I look forward to some more quality interview mishaps :)

This is pre-interview got got me kinda scared...the morning of the day I was flying out for my interview I got a call from the school asking if i was still planning on coming. Apparently they received my confirmation but it was never put in the schedule, so they thought I withdrew. To make matters worse, when i called back their office had already been closed. So essentially I flew out to the interview not sure whether I would have an interview or not. Luckily they got my email in time and added me to the schedule. Talk about nervewrecking.

This is pre-interview got got me kinda scared...the morning of the day I was flying out for my interview I got a call from the school asking if i was still planning on coming. Apparently they received my confirmation but it was never put in the schedule, so they thought I withdrew. To make matters worse, when i called back their office had already been closed. So essentially I flew out to the interview not sure whether I would have an interview or not. Luckily they got my email in time and added me to the schedule. Talk about nervewrecking.

Weak.

Edit: At least tell us something bizarre/awkward happened at the interview. I need entertainmenttttt

Last edited: