Most comfortable scrubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What the hell was that movie about anyway?

It's kind of like that movie Monster's Ball, I think. I don't have any frickin' idea what the movie was about but I know it was a great friggin' movie!

If I had to guess, though, I think it was about a pretty girl who enjoyed walking around naked and getting boned by an old, unattractive man while a parakeet watched. Or something to that effect... 'Cause that's about all I saw of the movie. :)

I think it was basically Halle Berry realizing that her acting talents were "skin deep" and had nothing to do with her inherent skill as a thespian...

Members don't see this ad.

I think it was basically Halle Berry realizing that her acting talents were "skin deep" and had nothing to do with her inherent skill as a thespian...

Woah...Halle ain't that bad. She was an excellent crackhead in Jungle fever and she was great in Queen and Monster's Ball. Also, she has excellent taste in award show dresses and her baby's daddy is fine. Nuff' said.

Can we even out things here and talk about MEN again...they don't have to wear football tights. Size 8 or larger biogels are ok also.

I saw her thespians jumble about during that scene with Billy Bob Jimbo!

Excellent movie!

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we even out things here and talk about MEN again...they don't have to wear football tights. Size 8 or larger biogels are ok also.

Sure. I wear 8s. Blade wears 8s. We're probably two of the only Asian guys on the planet who wear 8s. Strange.

Oh, and the football tights are that tight to keep the smell in.

Let's get back to talking about Halle!

I examined a fat chick last night for possible appendicitis and she was wearing a thong. Needless to say that thong was screaming to be freed from the buttcrack of no return, so we took her to the OR and took out her appendix with the Bari pan trocars. I like to call them the Lexington Steele trocars. For no apparent reason. Really.

So you took out the appendix with the bariatric trocars.

What did you use to free that poor, suffering thong? Did you have to use the same bariatric trocars to remove that as well?

Sure. I wear 8s. Blade wears 8s. We're probably two of the only Asian guys on the planet who wear 8s. Strange.

Do you mean Asian as in Oriental? Or Asian as in Orientals and Indians? I've met a few Indian guys who use size 8 biogels. (Well, they might have been 7 and 1/2. Close enough.)

So you took out the appendix with the bariatric trocars.

Exactly.

What did you use to free that poor, suffering thong? Did you have to use the same bariatric trocars to remove that as well?

No. We used a tool we call the "Surgical Intern." They're usually very versatile though not very reliable. You can configure them to hold hook for you to and to always adjust the light just right so you can't see $hit. :)

Do you mean Asian as in Oriental? Or Asian as in Orientals and Indians? I've met a few Indian guys who use size 8 biogels. (Well, they might have been 7 and 1/2. Close enough.)

Asian as in "Oh-li-ental." Yes.

Indians, or "Desi" people, are actually just Caucasian with a wild tan. So they're built a little differently.

Men exaggerating their physical attributes on an anonymous internet forum.
Very strange indeed.:p

Is this what one of the other SDNers referred to as E-balls? :)

Oh... Right. It was Percy who used that.

I had another one, but his weiner was a just a little TOO prominent for SDN professional forums.:p

Oh yeah...cause this conversation is upholding the highest ethical and professional standards of our profession...

In our case, Asian as in Chinese.

And 7 1/2 is NOT the same as 8. :)

I don't know if Castro's lying, but 'round these parts I'm known for my big hands and feet. :thumbup: That, and the fact that there are very few Asians around anyway, makes me stand out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, conversation is just skirting the issue...an actual picture would be a little over the top.

I'm just saying, its not like we've been discussing high minded surgical techniques and physiological conundrums involved in caring for a patient in the SICU and you randomly posted a pic with a very large...um, "member" out of the blue...

I'm just saying, its not like we've been discussing high minded surgical techniques and physiological conundrums involved in caring for a patient in the SICU and you randomly posted a pic with a very large...um, "member" out of the blue...

No, but that's not a bad idea...given all the talk about women in thongs around here!

Something for the ladies! :D

Asian as in "Oh-li-ental." Yes.

Ah. Oh-li-ental like you, Blade, and me?

I was just grateful that none of the patients busted out that tired line about "Well, since you're good with chopsticks, you must have good manual dexterity when it comes to surgery!" (A couple of physicians - a psychiatrist and a pediatrician - have said that to me. Lame.) Trust me, at this stage in my education, you don't want to bet too heavily on that one.

And 7 1/2 is NOT the same as 8. :)

Gosh, Blade, I don't know...it's just half a glove size. You'll have to think of a way to prove to me that it makes a "sizable" difference.... ;)

"Well, since you're good with chopsticks, you must have good manual dexterity when it comes to surgery!" (A couple of physicians - a psychiatrist and a pediatrician - have said that to me. Lame.)
Gosh, Blade, I don't know...it's just half a glove size. You'll have to think of a way to prove to me that it makes a "sizable" difference.... ;)

(1) I've heard a bunch of terrible, racist things down here in the South that I hadn't heard before. But then again, I'd always lived in more ethically diverse, multicultural areas (California and Hawaii).

(2) I don't know - to me, it's like the difference between someone else's size 10 shoe (which seems to be quite common) and my size 12 (which, believe me, isn't that common). Without degenerating into the usual macho bravado, let's just say I've never heard any complaints and leave it at that, shall we? :)

(2) I don't know - to me, it's like the difference between someone else's size 10 shoe (which seems to be quite common) and my size 12 (which, believe me, isn't that common). Without degenerating into the usual macho bravado, let's just say I've never heard any complaints and leave it at that, shall we? :)

:laugh: I applaud your self-discipline!

No, but that's not a bad idea...given all the talk about women in thongs around here!

As always, thanks for representin' for the ladies. And to Dr. Duke.... if you have never heard such similar conversations in an O.R. setting, I will be thoroughly amazed. Oh wait...you are a med student. Have you had your surgery or obgyn clerkship yet?

As always, thanks for representin' for the ladies. And to Dr. Duke.... if you have never heard such similar conversations in an O.R. setting, I will be thoroughly amazed. Oh wait...you are a med student. Have you had your surgery or obgyn clerkship yet?

The conversation wasn't my point (I wouldn't be posting here if it offended me). My point was that WS's comment about her homunculus picture being inappropriate was funny cause the conversation we were having wasn't exactly appropriate...

Boy, you're really going to hate surgery.

To pass the time, the surgeons often gossip, exchange stories about past girlfriends/boyfriends, talk about bodily functions (pooping, peeing, farting), and talk about which supermodel is more attractive. (The PRS guys will sometimes gossip on which celebrities have had some "work" done, and which celebrities SHOULD have some work done...) If conversation is lagging, then somebody will probably start singing along to the iPod.

So I guess if that makes surgeons unprofessional, you're not going to have a good time in the OR.
You're saying all surgeons talk "about bodily functions"? Are you making an assumption of an entire group based on your own experiences? What kind of a doctor are you if you do things like that?

And I have no problem with unprofessionalism, but, really, would you want some provocative skank-surgeon operating on you?

You're saying all surgeons talk "about bodily functions"? Are you making an assumption of an entire group based on your own experiences? What kind of a doctor are you if you do things like that?

And I have no problem with unprofessionalism, but, really, would you want some provocative skank-surgeon operating on you?

Should be fun to sit back and watch the chaos ensue...

We're just saying that the conversation among surgeons is typically light-hearted and even resembles "normal" chit-chat among regular non-medical folk. Couple that with the requisite thick skin needed to survive among the brutal surgery culture, and you'll find most everyone enjoys playful banter.

The key is to not take anything personally.

And yes, by the way, especially in General Surgery, we talk to patients every day about their bodily functions - urinating, defecating, passing gas, burping, coughing, etc. So these are certainly not foreign topics of discussion.

I know a lot of male nurses who do that, especially in the ER. Scrub top and cargo pants, usually with a pair of trauma shears hanging from the belt.

Moral of this story: You dress like a future Murse.
Uh huh. Okay.

Just explain one thing to me...

What's a murse? Oh wait, were you trying to spell "nurse", but failing? I think so. Someone needs to not talk if they can't spell! :laugh:

Uh huh. Okay.

Just explain one thing to me...

What's a murse? Oh wait, were you trying to spell "nurse", but failing? I think so. Someone needs to not talk if they can't spell! :laugh:

Murse = Male nurse.

Murse = Male nurse.
And you know this from experience?

It's okay. It's funny when peds nurses come into the SDN surgery forum and act all badass xD

I apologize to everyone on this forum for actually answering Cheisu's questions...that stops now...someone else can feed him...

Not just based on my own experiences. If you had read this thread carefully, then you would have seen that Winged Scapula, Blade, Castro, njbmd, and nykka all basically agreed with me. We're from totally different parts of the country, and trained in a variety of institutions - and yet we all agree that conversational banter (which may or may not get a little R-rated) is one of the great things about being in the OR.

Murse = "male nurse." Which you would know if you knew how to use google. (http://allnurses.com/forums/f212/male-nurse-murse-150969.html)

Someone needs to not talk if they don't know the slang!

It's okay. It's funny when peds nurses come into the SDN surgery forum and act all badass xD

But not NEARLY as funny as when high school students come into the SDN surgery forum and (unsuccessfully) act all badass.

(Gosh, internal med really does make me grumpy!)

And yes, by the way, especially in General Surgery, we talk to patients every day about their bodily functions - urinating, defecating, passing gas, burping, coughing, etc. So these are certainly not foreign topics of discussion.

We sometimes talk to patients about these bodily functions at 5 AM! :D

And not just in General surgery (although this is the gen surg forum) - in internal medicine, you need to ask patients about urinating (esp. on the renal service) and about diarrhea and vomiting (esp. on the GI service). On ENT, you get to ask people about drool and saliva. If you want to be a doctor (especially if you want to be a surgeon), you have to get used to it.

let's just say I've never heard any complaints and leave it at that, shall we?

I'm not sure your sample size has the power to allow any significant conclusions. :)

I apologize to everyone on this forum for actually answering Cheisu's questions...that stops now...someone else can feed him...

:laugh: Apology accepted.
Murse = "male nurse." Which you would know if you knew how to use google. (http://allnurses.com/forums/f212/male-nurse-murse-150969.html)

It's this whole Gen-ME thing. How many posts on SDN have you seen recently where people are asking questions with answers that can be found by simply taking their question, coping it and pasting it into google? Why bother to try scrolling down the results page when you can simply go to an internet forum and ask your question? What really gets me, though, is how they get snippy when you don't answer their questions. It's like they feel entitled to have you do their leg work for them; as if we, medical students and residents, have much more time than they do in high school. :mad:

P.S. I'm not sure I have ever used as many smileys in a single post before without being sarcastic. ;) :) :D

The conversation wasn't my point (I wouldn't be posting here if it offended me). My point was that WS's comment about her homunculus picture being inappropriate was funny cause the conversation we were having wasn't exactly appropriate...

I think if I had posted the original picture I found, it WOULD be considered inappropriate to some. But I see your point...it does seem a bit hypocritical.

And as you note, me thinks if you were offended easily you wouldn't be posting here (or have that avatar. BTW. What is that? A deer?)

Not just based on my own experiences. If you had read this thread carefully, then you would have seen that Winged Scapula, Blade, Castro, njbmd, and nykka all basically agreed with me. We're from totally different parts of the country, and trained in a variety of institutions - and yet we all agree that conversational banter (which may or may not get a little R-rated) is one of the great things about being in the OR.

Agreed.There is something about "playing in the chitlins" that brings out all sorts of conversations. Just an hour ago, I was in the abdomen (AAA) and talking about sushi. Yestersay, I was in the neck and chatting about nerve sparing prostatectomies. You never know what conversation is going to come up.

Wait a minute... I thought "women aren't visual like that."

I *knew* it.

I don't know if Castro's lying, but 'round these parts I'm known for my big hands and feet. :thumbup: That, and the fact that there are very few Asians around anyway, makes me stand out.

We should have an SDN "conference" somewhere just to settle this. :)

Vegas anybody?

I was just grateful that none of the patients busted out that tired line about "Well, since you're good with chopsticks, you must have good manual dexterity when it comes to surgery!" (A couple of physicians - a psychiatrist and a pediatrician - have said that to me. Lame.) Trust me, at this stage in my education, you don't want to bet too heavily on that one.

That's pretty funny, actually. I said that to one of the other Asian residents in the program while I was talking smack during a lap appendectomy we were doing together. "Why do you suck at laparoscopy? Don't you eat with chopsticks? It's the same friggin' thing!"

Yeah, it really isn't that big of a difference. If I wore 7.5s it's not as if my hand would just bust out of the glove lilke the Incredible Hulk, but it actually tires my hands out, so I'm just more comfortable in 8s.

Uh... What the hell is so ethnically and culturally diverse about Hawaii? Aren't they all just Hawaii-ans? Like that short guy from Fantasy Island?

Yeah but why would your sister complain much? She doesn't know any better. :laugh:

Sorry man...

Yeah, it really isn't that big of a difference. If I wore 7.5s it's not as if my hand would just bust out of the glove lilke the Incredible Hulk, but it actually tires my hands out, so I'm just more comfortable in 8s.

I wear the dreaded 7.75. Sucks because no one makes them. 7.5s are too small, but 8s are not tight enough on a couple of my fingers.
And, for completeness on this thread, I wear a size 12 shoe.

Yeah but why would your sister complain much? She doesn't know any better. :laugh:
:thumbup:
I thought about going there, but decided to tone it down a tad.

:bow: I'm paying homage to your impeccably poor timing and at the inappropriateness of the majority of your comments.

Quite seriously, Cheisu, I'd probably leave you be and allow you to grow up the PITA surgeon you may very well turn out to be at the end of your training. You know, the kind Misterioso always wanted to become. But since you make me crap daily laughing at your shenanigans as a high school student, I'll tell you this much: respect your elders. Smq is a medical student, which means she actually has a Bachelors degree. Only 1/4 of all Americans has such a degree. And she's on her way to earning an M.D., fewer than 2% in this country can claim to be. She's probably even brighter than you. So relax with the holier-than-thou bull$hit you spew about on SDN while your Myspace is still all about being a Wiccan.

I'd rather have a skank-a$$, provocative surgeon operate on me than one who believes in witchcraft and voodoo dolls...

OK... Sorry. I re-read what I wrote. Maybe I was a little harsh. I've been at work since 6AM yesterday and stayed overnight 'cause I did an eight hour aortobifemoral bypass that we finished at 2AM today and, of course, today I'm call covering for trauma. Yay me.

Hey, at least the graft is still up! :)

I wear the dreaded 7.75. Sucks because no one makes them. 7.5s are too small, but 8s are not tight enough on a couple of my fingers.
And, for completeness on this thread, I wear a size 12 shoe.

I've never seen 7.75s. Wow.

:thumbup:
I thought about going there, but decided to tone it down a tad.

I thought about dropping the mom bomb, but I toned it down. You gotta know, it's not as offensive when you talk about their sisters than if you say something about their momma.

:)

We sometimes talk to patients about these bodily functions at 5 AM! :D

Or 4 am.

Or sometimes 2:30 am here. :mad:

It's this whole Gen-ME thing. How many posts on SDN have you seen recently where people are asking questions with answers that can be found by simply taking their question, coping it and pasting it into google? Why bother to try scrolling down the results page when you can simply go to an internet forum and ask your question?

Thank you! You've just identified one of my main SDN pet peeves!

If we're ever at an ACS conference together I'll buy you a beer. :thumbup:

We should have an SDN "conference" somewhere just to settle this. :)

Vegas anybody?

I'm always down to go to Vegas! Hell, last year on my Trauma rotation I was there for a 30-hour trip for my buddy's bachelor party. I only slept on the plane ride back. :)

Uh... What the hell is so ethnically and culturally diverse about Hawaii? Aren't they all just Hawaii-ans?

Uh... Methinks someone needs to go to Hawaii for his future honeymoon then. Get some edumacation. :)

Damn, dude, just because you're bitter about the Yankees sucking. And the whole Mitchell Report thing! :laugh:

Smq is a medical student, which means she actually has a Bachelors degree. Only 1/4 of all Americans has such a degree. And she's on her way to earning an M.D., fewer than 2% in this country can claim to be. She's probably even brighter than you.

Most days I'm sure she's smarter than me as well. :)

Thank you! You've just identified one of my main SDN pet peeves!

It's becoming one of my pet peeves in life, too. One of the people on my rotation today asked me to show her how to use the paging system. Then she asked me to just page the doctor for her, since she was still having trouble with it. Then she asked me to print out a copy of the sign out for her. Then she asked me to show her how to use the fax machine.

Nobody's that technologically challenged. :mad:

Most days I'm sure she's smarter than me as well. :)

I wish I was. :(

Obviously confidence and assertiveness aren't her strengths, though.

Well, maybe they're not. :oops:

;)

During the first surgery with the chairman, he looked down at me, and boomed out, "So, are you a third year med student?"

I found him so intimidating that my answer was, "Uhh...I think I am."

D'oh! :laugh:

Winged Scapula said:
I think if I had posted the original picture I found, it WOULD be considered inappropriate to some. But I see your point...it does seem a bit hypocritical.

...and now this whole thing is blown out of proportion...

And as you note, me thinks if you were offended easily you wouldn't be posting here (or have that avatar. BTW. What is that? A deer?)

Yes, its a deer. Before coming to school this fall I took a week camping trip in Yosemite with my fiance and this sight was what we woke up to the first morning in the backcountry.