Most comfortable work shoes??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeenyFee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi vet peeps! I just got a job as a vet assistant (yay, finally!) and my first shift will be 7:30-6:00ish and I'm so excited! My part time job now as kennel worker is only 4 hours and my feet (mainly heels) and lower back hurt just from that, so I'm pretty nervous about the long hours. I wear some cheap tennis shoes I've had for years so I'm hoping that is the culprit but I'm sure my overweight figure has something to do with it as well ;). I've never invested in good shoes though so I'm prepared to pay a pretty penny if I'm not hurting at the end of the day! :)

What do you guys recommend? So far I've been told to look into NB, Asics and Sketchers Shape Ups

Members don't see this ad.

Danskos. After you break a pair in (takes about two weeks, can be a bit painful due to the rigidity of the material) they're the perfect working shoe, and the only one that doesn't leave me with painful feet or a painful back at the end of the day. Wouldn't recommend if you're dealing with a lot of uneven floors though (bumps, cracks, and the like).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sketchers go walk 3.

I wear them every single day, even 12 hr shifts, as a vet tech. Not horrifically ugly, and super comfy. And not too terribly expensive either.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi vet peeps! I just got a job as a vet assistant (yay, finally!) and my first shift will be 7:30-6:00ish and I'm so excited! My part time job now as kennel worker is only 4 hours and my feet (mainly heels) and lower back hurt just from that, so I'm pretty nervous about the long hours. I wear some cheap tennis shoes I've had for years so I'm hoping that is the culprit but I'm sure my overweight figure has something to do with it as well ;). I've never invested in good shoes though so I'm prepared to pay a pretty penny if I'm not hurting at the end of the day! :)

What do you guys recommend? So far I've been told to look into NB, Asics and Sketchers Shape Ups
I actually had luck with memory foam soles/inserts in my normal tennis shoes. The only problem is that after a while, the memory foam is permanently compressed. I was at the point where my lower back hurt so bad I thought something was seriously wrong, but the memory foam helped!

I actually had luck with memory foam soles/inserts in my normal tennis shoes. The only problem is that after a while, the memory foam is permanently compressed. I was at the point where my lower back hurt so bad I thought something was seriously wrong, but the memory foam helped!
Yes I know what you mean. Once I lay in my bed after a long day there was just no way of getting back up, I would get these shooting sharp pains in my lower back. No fun at all.

Danskos are for masochists, and they're crappy shoes. If you have the coin, get some Mephistos, if you're on a budget, get last years extra cushion model tennis shoes.
Holy ****balls I didn't think shoes could be that expensive :laugh:

Merrell's and Keens. But you should do a search. this has come up many times before :)

Reactions: 1 users
Merrell's and Keens. But you should do a search. this has come up many times before :)

I searched "comfortable shoes" and nothing came up. Is there a thread I'm missing?

I haven't heard of those, thanks!

It's very individual -- I splurged on Mephistos, and couldn't wear them for more than 2 or 3 hours. They're lousy shoes for me, at least, and I never recommend them.

I'm also overweight, if that makes a difference, and my preference is for either Merrels, Clarks, or (for a more traditional "running shoe" look) New Balance.

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US.../Black_Multi+Plaid/Womens+Jennie+Sneaker.aspx

Those are what I wear the majority of the time. If I'm going to be standing still a lot, I do like my Dansko's, but for walking around and getting up and down off the floor, the elevation of those is an issue for my somewhat unstable ankles. The Dr. Scholl's aren't good for standing in one place, but for walking around all day, they work pretty nicely for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US.../Black_Multi+Plaid/Womens+Jennie+Sneaker.aspx

Those are what I wear the majority of the time. If I'm going to be standing still a lot, I do like my Dansko's, but for walking around and getting up and down off the floor, the elevation of those is an issue for my somewhat unstable ankles. The Dr. Scholl's aren't good for standing in one place, but for walking around all day, they work pretty nicely for me.
Thank you! I actually like the style of those too.

I loooooove my Danskos. My aim is to be a surgeon and I spend most of my time scrubbed in so they're perfect for just standing around. People will make fun of you for wearing clogs, unfortunately, but they're so worth it. Just don't wear them to your zoo rotation...

I have had the same Dansko's for almost two years now, and they work great for me. Don't wear thick socks though because it will make the lining dig into your skin. They're easy to clean too. All that poo you step in will rinse right off with a hose! I'm in a small animal setting. Definitely wouldn't recommend them for large animal or zoo. You need some nice steel-toed work boots for that.

My danskos are super comfy for standing but as soon as I move I feel like I'm going to break an ankle.

I wear merrells for small animal. Have a few different styles although now that I'm out of school I primarily wearing their hiking sneaker with "sore dawg" insoles.

The insoles are pricy but worth every penny. I can work for days and not get sore. They last about 2 years before wearing out to the point where my shins hurt a bit, but I just keep buying new pairs!

For equine I have Ariat terrains with the above insoles or a pair of muck boots. Also have Bogs but they make my feet overheat. In the winter I have LLBean boots, but winter apparel is a whole 'nother discussion.

Farm animals I'll just pull tingleys over my merrells most of time. Easy to wear, easy to take off and clean before going from farm to farm.

Crappy shoes will be the death of you in this field! I have been teching in sketchers no slip work shoes for close to two years now. They have memory foam as well. Love them. Not a crazy penny either.

I just wanted to add that Crocs are definitely not the answer you're looking for. I used to swear by the non-slip clog variety but once I started wearing them 30-40 hours a week, a pair would only last me three months and I'd start having chronic foot pain.

Crappy shoes will be the death of you in this field! I have been teching in sketchers no slip work shoes for close to two years now. They have memory foam as well. Love them. Not a crazy penny either.

I worked my first 11 hr shift today..... my feet are paying the price :hungover:

I just wanted to add that Crocs are definitely not the answer you're looking for. I used to swear by the non-slip clog variety but once I started wearing them 30-40 hours a week, a pair would only last me three months and I'd start having chronic foot pain.

Yeah for some reason I never felt that Crocs were comfortable? I tried all different pairs but they just felt hard. I have really bad heel pain.

Danskos are good for being stationary and on your feet. I wore these for 8-10 hour standing bakery shifts and was quite happy.

But if you're moving around much I suggest the Merrells. For me, Danskos suck for moving -especially on uneven surfaces. I looooove my Merrells. I have ordered like 4 pairs over the last few years.

This type is my favorite. Doesn't win any points for style but they have good grip, you can get things splashed on them and they're resistant, and they're slip ons which I love.

I will say my podiatrist (treating my chronically sprained and unstable ankles) is really happy I was already buying Merrells and Keens. I will also use Brooks if I want a true sneaker but they aren't as easy to clean so they get used more for working out and other such activities.

I would vote for Sanita. They're the originally maker of Dansko. I swear by them! Dankso material is cheap and heavy. Try both and see if you feel the different.