Most effective way to study for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B-Face

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I'm starting to study for the MCAT and I want to know what you guys have found to be the most effective/prepare you best for the test. I plan on taking the test in 9 months from now(next April) and I would like to hear some of your opinions. I know there are classes and different study guides such as the Princeton Review, practice tests, etc. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track and using my time wisely.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure some people will give you advice here, however i would strongly advise going through the MCAT discussion page and asking questions and reading the posts.

The search function is decent for looking up specific areas. good luck!

Also keep in mind that the MCAT is changing after January 2015 to include more material.

If you plan on taking it in 9 months (April) the issue you will have is that I am under the impression that due to the new test format (includes Physio, Biochem, and Psych/Humanities) the KAPLAN and Princeton Review books won't be available for the new system immediately.

If a friend of yours has a 2013 or 2014 version of the KAPLAN or Princeton Review books then it can't hurt to study up on those, but remember that the new format will not be entirely the stuff you are studying from. So research before you buy any MCAT books!!! You don't want to shell out $200 only to get half the information you need.