Most important aspects for MSW application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zarote

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have been reading SDN posts for a short while but this is my first time actually posting a question, so bear with me. I am a junior undergraduate student majoring in Psychology at a large research university. Leading up to this point, I have been planning to apply to PhD programs in clinical and counseling psychology, however, I have recently had an epiphany of sorts and decided that I do not want to go the PhD route and spend the next 5-7 years of my life doing mostly research. I just can't see myself doing that. Because I was prepping for applying to doctoral programs, I have been working in a research lab and taking heavy science and math courses to supplement my application. I have also been volunteering at a shelter and plan on working at a crisis hotline next year, which has kept me extremely busy and a little stressed. I have now decided that I want to strictly apply to MSW programs (with hopes of eventually obtaining my LCSW) and I am not sure what the difference in application criteria is.

Meaning, I want to know if things like lots of research experience and science/math courses still matter for an MSW application, or can I kind of step back from those and take more time to focus on experiential things like volunteering? I have heard that MSW programs are not as difficult to get into as PhD programs, but I would just like to know what sort of things are the most important for an MSW application so I can adjust my schedule/activities for the remainder of my undergraduate career. Any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure that experience/coursework will look good but, for the purposes of applying to an MSW program, it is probably not necessary. MSW programs (masters program in general, really) are considerably less competitive than PhD programs (any), this is true. Experiences such as volunteering or working for a crisis hotline would look great on an application. A good GPA, pertinent work/volunteer experience, solid letters of recommendation; these things will be most important. If you are majoring in psych, and have been prepping for grad school already, chances are you've taken the perquisites most MSW programs will require, however, I would still encourage you to check out programs you're interested in applying to and make sure this is the case. Additionally, and I can't stress this enough, make sure the program will provide the appropriate academic concentration and internship opportunities to prepare you for clinical work in your area of interest. Program emphasis varies from school to school, as do internships, so you want to make sure the schools you apply to will suit your needs. Even if the school lists a "micro" or "clinical" track, double check to make sure this means it will prepare you to do whatever it is you're hoping to do. Things like case management, psychotherapy, and medical social work all fall under this category, so it can be misleading. Hope this helps, If you have anymore questions, I'll be around!

Reactions: 1 users
Basically what Wesleysmith said :) I just wanted to say I basically did what you are planning to do. I wasn't sure what I wanted after grad so I did many things similar to you. The only difference was that I'm a non-traditional student so I had work experience and life-long volunteer experiences. I did not bother to seek out additional volunteer experiences once I had decided to go the MSW route. I was told that my research experiences (honors undergrad thesis and research assistant) did make me stand out amongst other applicants though.

Good luck with your applications :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the helpful replies! I will keep this advice in mind when I start applying.

I got in without any research or clinical volunteer experience, although I did have quite a bit of non-clinical volunteer experience. I commend you for going the research-heavy route, though, because if you ultimately pursue the PhD or PsyD it will certainly help. Good luck!

Yes, research is only the way through which you can achieve your goal.
I actually stated above that getting a PhD is not my ultimate goal anymore. I am simply going to stay in my research lab until graduation to add a good letter of recommendation from the professor that runs the lab. Also, a good question to bring up: would a letter of rec from a social psych PhD be acceptable for applying to MSW programs or not? She knows about my intellect, work ethic, and dedication but not so much anything about my experience in the field like a crisis center volunteer supervisor would.