Most important attribute in a personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Most important attribute to mention in a personal statement?

• Smart: scientific, intelligent, analytical, curious, professional

• Motivated: capacity for intense work, why previous career did not work out (if mature applicant).

• Aptitude: natural aptitude for medicine or specialty of interest, informed about medical realities.

• Communication: empathy, leadership, dedication.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paul.Mattheus

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are several attributes you will mention in a personal statement, but which one do you think is most important for being a good doctor? Please mention, if not listed in poll options.

Members don't see this ad.

None of the above. Being honest about yourself, your journey, and why you want to be a doctor. I have gotten positive feedback specifically on my PS from 4 interviewers at different schools with varied missions. In my opinion being honest and speaking with your own voice is the difference maker. If you actually have a passion for what you are trying to do it should shine through.

Reactions: 8 users
The most important thing to do is to answer the question: Why Medicine? What is driving you to become a doctor and what have you done to prepare yourself for pursuing medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The most important thing to do is to answer the question: Why Medicine? What is driving you to become a doctor and what have you done to prepare yourself for pursuing medicine.
Agreed. I have gotten the advice to answer 2 questions with the PS: why medicine, and why are you special.

All the above + your writing abilities.

Make sure to use as many of the following buzz words as possible: medicine, doctor, physician, destiny, life goal, helping others, science, lifelong learning.

Being facetious. Write a personal statement reflective of who you are as a person and your journey to medicine. Make sure to actually answer 'why medicine' and not try to cram as many resume bullets as possible into the character allotment.

Last edited:
Make sure to use as many of the following buzz words as possible: medicine, doctor, physician, destiny, life goal, helping others, science, lifelong learning.

I dunno about "destiny" lol that's getting a little bit deep. I tried write mine in a way that would be unique. My content is not really all that unique, but the way I presented it is. The goal of the personal statement, among other things, is to get the person reading it to say "I'd want to meet this person."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Welcome to SDN. :prof:

See the little magnifying glass at the top right of the page? Click on it. You can search the answer to your question. Seasoned users LizzyM and gyngyn have posted extensively on this topic.

Generally, traditional students should use the PS to answer "Why medicine?" and "Why choose you?" In doing so, illustrate the soft skills/traits that may not come across in your AMCAS activity descriptions (compassion, tact, perseverance, curiosity, whatever).

Non-trads (definitions vary, but I tend to think 5-10+ years out of school) should also answer the questions "Why the switch from your old career?" and "Why now?"

Disclaimer: Not an adcom, not a med student, just a non-trad pre-premed/far-in-advance planner.

There are several attributes you will mention in a personal statement, but which one do you think is most important for being a good doctor? Please mention, if not listed in poll options.
Humility

As soon as I saw this post, without seeing the OP name, I knew he was the surgery shadowing person :p

Everyone (including several interviewers) who has commented on the strength of my personal statement has mentioned that they felt they really knew why I wanted to be a physician. Answer that questions in whatever way is most genuine to you (without being an idiot about it).

Reactions: 1 users
I felt i emphasized empathy and it worked out for me
And yea speak from the heart and show passion

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sexiness.
b45559d8341716d90875d2f8bc0a0fe8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user