Most important pain conferences to attend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoPain4U

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
He all,

Quick question. I need to plan my CME during fellowship next year. I was wondering which pain conferences are the best for fellows?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

He all,

Quick question. I need to plan my CME during fellowship next year. I was wondering which pain conferences are the best for fellows?

Thanks!
Why do you need to do cme during fellowship? Typically any cme requirement is waived while in residency or a fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ABA gives you credit for 50 hours of CME for your fellowship year. Sure, that's only one week's worth of work, but it's better than nothing!

Dannemiller's Intensive Review of Pain is in Chicago, IL every August. Great board prep, 50 hours of CME. You can get the DVDs and do at home for the same.

ISIS is usually one of the better courses. AAPM and ASRA are fair. No credit for the weekend workshop SCS courses you will be offered by the companies - but fun for sure!

use your CME during fellowship for a primary board certification course, if you are not fully board certified.

cant get Pain certification without the primary one.

I should clarify. I have medical education money provided by my fellowship. So I was wondering what is the best use of that money - conferences, courses, etc. Thanks for the replies folks.

ISIS.

but that honduras conference seems like an excellent way to learn nothing and get Dengue

Reactions: 1 users
I should clarify. I have medical education money provided by my fellowship. So I was wondering what is the best use of that money - conferences, courses, etc. Thanks for the replies folks.
Got it.

I downloaded the danemiller mp3s and listened throughout the year, then again for the boards and it was surprisingly high yield.

I'd still worry bout your primary board certification first.... Take a review course. If you passed writtens..... Orals are very nerve wracking.

Lobel Pain Conference.
July in Key Largo, Caymans, or Cozumel.
Wed night to Sun. 2 dives Thurs/Fri/Sat AM.
Lectures at the restaurant, Sat at the bar.
No CME. Open discussion roundtable.
PADI certified.

He all,

Thanks!
AAPM! (AA Pain medicine, NOT AA pain management - I went this one year...I don't recommend)

ISIS seems to me should be called the conference and philosophy of Bogduk. I guess that is good if you want to go to conference to learn the philosophy of one person.

Nik's role in ISIS as the eloquent paradigm of locution will be missed when he is gone. He certainly is not the only voice in ISIS but does occupy a permanent and persuasive leadership position within the organization. Most pain organizations have a small cadre of principal players that steer their adopted ship and serve as front men for years, unwilling to relinquish power or influence. Certainly ASIPP, WIP, and AAPMedicine have exactly the same issues.

AAPM! (AA Pain medicine, NOT AA pain management - I went this one year...I don't recommend)

but isnt AAPMedicine the organization that includes, among its "honor roll", past presidents such as Fine, Fishman, Haddox, Webster...
should a fellow, "gullible", collude with these honored individuals in Pain Medicine?

fyi, they recently sent a letter to the DEA that essentially opposes rescheduling Hydrocodone to Schedule II. the way it is written states they are not opposing, but the tenor of the note suggests otherwise.
http://www.painmed.org/files/aapm-comments-regarding-hydrocodone-rescheduling.pdf
In a previous statement, AAPM neither supported nor opposed the move, but instead proposed
that any change should be accompanied by policies to meet potential consequences that may
include higher costs for insurers and patients, reduction in patient access to necessary pain
medication, and the possibility that prescribers may resort instead to non-optimal prescription
drug choices, including drugs that may be less effective against pain or that add risk for
respiratory depression.

but isnt AAPMedicine the organization that includes, among its "honor roll", past presidents such as Fine, Fishman, Haddox, Webster...
should a fellow, "gullible", collude with these honored individuals in Pain Medicine?

fyi, they recently sent a letter to the DEA that essentially opposes rescheduling Hydrocodone to Schedule II. the way it is written states they are not opposing, but the tenor of the note suggests otherwise.
http://www.painmed.org/files/aapm-comments-regarding-hydrocodone-rescheduling.pdf

AAPM needs to be hijacked away from those folks. Bad image for the public. Vote 101N for president.

Reactions: 1 user