Most Important Topics for Last Minute Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aditya N.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say you only have a few days left before the MCAT and you haven't done enough content review. What are the 4-5 most important topics to master? What specific topics (e.g. fluid dynamics, digestion, etc.)have the greatest likelihood of showing up on the test?

Members don't see this ad.

I would look at biochemical pathways, PCR, kidney physiology, a genetic disorder (such as diabetes), fluids (from physics), carbonyl name reactions, electrochemical cells, acid-by-base titration curves (particularly of an amino acid-focusing on pIs and charge at a given pH), and classic social psychology experiments. That should keep you busy for a few days.

I'd start with a blank page for each subject and write down everything I knew, and then I'd review my previous notes and consult my books to add in extra information and especially test-taking tricks. I'm not sure if you have BR books, but a perfect example is the shortcut approach for dealing with buoyancy questions. That is huge and will save you at least 30 seconds per buoyancy question, should you get a few. It's a great last minute review. If you happened to use BR, then I would make a master list (from memory) of all the shortcut math tricks from physics and general chemistry.

Reactions: 1 user
It's also useful to make sure you understand experimental logic and some common lab techniques in organic chemistry, biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology. I'd focus on the difference between different techniques and the optimal time to employ each.

Last edited:
If you have time, you should keep an error log and see what type of errors you're making. No matter what you study, there's no guarantee it will be on the exam. But if you can cut down on careless errors then you'll get a better score.

Last edited:
I would look at biochemical pathways, PCR, kidney physiology, a genetic disorder (such as diabetes), fluids (from physics), carbonyl name reactions, electrochemical cells, acid-by-base titration curves (particularly of an amino acid-focusing on pIs and charge at a given pH), and classic social psychology experiments. That should keep you busy for a few days.

I'd start with a blank page for each subject and write down everything I knew, and then I'd review my previous notes and consult my books to add in extra information and especially test-taking tricks. I'm not sure if you have BR books, but a perfect example is the shortcut approach for dealing with buoyancy questions. That is huge and will save you at least 30 seconds per buoyancy question, should you get a few. It's a great last minute review. If you happened to use BR, then I would make a master list (from memory) of all the shortcut math tricks from physics and general chemistry.

Exactly what I was going to say, with the addition of lab techniques (Restriction enzymes, PCR, Western Blot, etc.)

Reactions: 1 user