MPH most liberal school of public health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marykat2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently an undergrad hoping to pursue an MPH in social/behavioral health soon after I graduate. I've been doing some soul searching and I've realized that one of the things that matters most to me is a school's environment and the type of students who go there. Honestly, I'm a raging liberal and I love being around super smart, quirky and offbeat people who are passionate but also weird. I went to New College of Florida (very strange but awesome place) for awhile, but then transferred to a more mainstream school for personal reasons.

I'm now realizing that I miss the energy that comes from being around like-minded people who share my values and interests. I'm a good student (will graduate either magna or summa), will have excellent recs, have research experience at a major university, and internships galore, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get into a top school. What it will really come down to for me is where I can find people I can connect with while doing good work. I'm also passionate about health equity and social justice, so I'd like to be at a school where these issues are emphasized.

Based on all that, I'm thinking Berkeley would be a great fit. I'm also looking at BU and University of Washington. Where else should I be looking?

TL;DR Do any of you have suggestions about where the most liberal, smart, weird people tend to congregate to get their MPH?

Members don't see this ad.

TL;DR Do any of you have suggestions about where the most liberal, smart, weird people tend to congregate to get their MPH?

Liberal smart weirded people tend to do medical diploma, physics,math and engineering degrees rather than mph !!

Congratulations on selecting public health. I am going to start my grad work in social/behavioral health this upcoming Fall and I visited 6 schools before deciding on Columbia. I would say UC Berkeley is by far the most left program there is. IMO, Columbia is the second most left program. CUNY-Hunter is also one of the most progressive programs out there. Look at University of Michigan too.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Liberal smart weirded people tend to do medical diploma, physics,math and engineering degrees rather than mph !!

Good to know. Are there schools with MPH programs that also have lots of quirky/smart/liberal med/engineering/etc. students you know about?

Good to know. Are there schools with MPH programs that also have lots of quirky/smart/liberal med/engineering/etc. students you know about?

I disagree, whole heartedly. My experience is that people who go for a MPH tend to be some of the most liberal, left-leaning folks out there. A lot of public health education is based in the idea of greater health for all, and for the common good--which is a much more social-oriented perspective. This tends to jive with liberal thinking.

Reactions: 1 user
My experience is that people who go for a MPH tend to be some of the most liberal, left-leaning folks out there. A lot of public health education is based in the idea of greater health for all, and for the common good--which is a much more social-oriented perspective. This tends to jive with liberal thinking.

Absolutely! Coming from a die-hard libertarian, colleges of public health are breeding grounds for bleeding-heart liberals who know how to spend my money better than I do :corny:. Went to 2 very conservative schools and this was my experience. You'll have no problem fitting in anywhere you go!

Personally, I hate being in an environment that constantly reinforces my own beliefs, but to each his own...

its not so much that i care about political beliefs as the atmosphere, you know hippies walking around without shoes on, the type of music i like, etc. but thanks for the info everyone!

Have you seen APHA recently? They could hardly get more liberal.

Anyway, everytime I scroll past this thread title, I giggle and shake my head.