Most lucrative specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't implying that you were referring to the entire US. I actually thought your post was informative.

I sometimes give examples from my immediate area and I tend to forget that it's vastly different from a lot of places.

I wasn't implying that you were referring to the entire US. I actually thought your post was informative.

I sometimes give examples from my immediate area and I tend to forget that it's vastly different from a lot of places.

Except what I'm saying could be true for any major metropolitan city in the US

Members don't see this ad.

Except what I'm saying could be true for any major metropolitan city in the US
Ok sure. I honestly know very little about the topics discussed on this thread. Although, it wouldn't be a leap to assume that there are more business opportunities in major metropolitan centers.

I think we can all agree that because doctors , on average, have more financial resources than the average Jo/jane, starting a business will be easier for them. But, that doesn't mean it will be easy. And it remains true that the majority of these doctor founded business are still going to fail before turning a profit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Private practice ortho or neurosurgery spine is your best bet. You can pull 1M + even in desirable areas. Prepare to work hard though.

Does anybody know what distinguishes the neurosurgeons making 500-700k and the ones making 1M?

Does anybody know what distinguishes the neurosurgeons making 500-700k and the ones making 1M?
It's not rocket science. Private practice (or productivity based) income depends on 2 things.
Volume.
Payer mix.
That's it. Maybe you can scam some named academic professorship for an extra $100k/yr for being great or the only one in the division, but it's all about volume and payer mix.
Work 3 1/2 days a week in an area/system full of Medicare/Medicaid/self pay/trauma and you're at the bittom, bust your hump in a practice full of insured patients and you're at the top.
Some of these averages you see can exclude call compensation, which for a neurosurgeon can be very high. Split call with 2 other guys at a place offering 2-3k/night and you're looking at an extra 2-400k. But you're on call for trauma 120+ nights a year. Our neurosurgeons all make over $1m, and they work their a$$es off for it. Their first wives are very happy.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.