most meaningful experiences have to be clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stevvo111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to see my pre-health advisor and she was "concerned" that none of my 3 most meaningful experiences were clinical or medical. I've done some cool things that I think were much more meaningful than hospital volunteering or shadowing (both of which I have done). My top 3 include basic science research, student leadership/volunteering in non-medical organization, and my work experiences from this past year with a doctor (non clinical).

What's the consensus on this? Is it an unwritten rule that any number of the most meaningful experiences should be related to medicine?

Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you find a way to tie them in to medicine it's no big deal, especially if you're unique. Most people seem to have nearly the same three meaningful experiences (sick relative, saving starving african child, working at a clinic). If this is for your personal statement that probably makes for really repetitive reading experiences for adcoms and if I was one I'd end up just jumping to the one that is different.

None of my meaningful experiences were directly medical/clinically related. However, they were related in the sense that they were ECs where I worked very closely and extensively with the communities and related social issues I am interested in serving as a physician (mentoring disadvantaged/first gen college students, president of a cultural organization, peer educator for social justice/disparities and related issues).

As long as it somehow strengthened some core skills or interests and you can relate it to its applicability in the field of medicine, you should be fine. I think it's pointless to force yourself to care about an EC or talk about how "life changing" it was when it wasn't just because that 2 week medical tourism stint or 2 quarter "volunteering in the hospital" (stacking papers and handing people food trays) you did and it looks "better to adcoms" on paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally don't believe this is a big deal. I've creeped on MDapps a few times at successful applicants that didn't go that route. I think if you are passionate about something then it is far more genuine then some blanket statement you think adcoms want to hear. Plus you said your third one was working with a doctor, I'm sure that is somewhat medically related.

Mine weren't and I don't believe they have to be. But like all things in the applying/interviewing game, it depends on who you end up interviewing with. One or two faculty members I interviewed with obviously wanted to hear something medical related, but that was the minority.

I went to see my pre-health advisor and she was "concerned" that none of my 3 most meaningful experiences were clinical or medical. I've done some cool things that I think were much more meaningful than hospital volunteering or shadowing (both of which I have done). My top 3 include basic science research, student leadership/volunteering in non-medical organization, and my work experiences from this past year with a doctor (non clinical).

What's the consensus on this? Is it an unwritten rule that any number of the most meaningful experiences should be related to medicine?

Any help would be appreciated!
I marked two experiences as most meaningful, neither of which were related to clinical experience, research or volunteering. It is fine if yours are not clinical.

My strategy would be to choose the experiences for which you most need the extra space provided to "most meaningful" experiences. As I'm reviewing applications, I'm less concerned with what was "meaningful" and more concerned with the labels on the activities and the descriptions.

I'm planning on focusing on how experiences changed me into someone that would make a better doctor. In other words, I plan to pick my "most meaningful experiences" based on their IMPACT.

Thanks everyone for the help. I felt a little misguided when my pre-health advisor gave me that advice, so it's reassuring my gut feeling has some validity.
No. I'd far rather hear about what truly meant something to you than what someone else tells you I'd like to hear.

I agree with all above (to all future students reading who might have a similar question). I am planning on putting the top 3 that I felt most personally connect to and enjoyed most. Agree with Catalystik! But I have to say, it's difficult not listening to someone after he/she says "yeah, tone down on your research and focus more on clinical experiences because otherwise they [adcoms] will think you are only interested in research" I didn't think having research experience could hurt me (especially if I enjoyed it and didn't do it because it was the pre-med thing to do), but I guess some advisors think otherwise.

My strategy would be to choose the experiences for which you most need the extra space provided to "most meaningful" experiences. As I'm reviewing applications, I'm less concerned with what was "meaningful" and more concerned with the labels on the activities and the descriptions.

Thanks LizzyM for chiming in! Now to just work on "labels" to make sure they can accurately describe the enriching experiences I had in 700 characters (talk about tough! I have multiple anecdotes that "show" how much I enjoyed and learned from each activity...yet I know it will be a challenge to fit these into a non-bland cookie cutter description of any of my unique/non-unique activities)

Good lord I've never heard of this meaningful = clinical experience rule. I only had two meaningful experiences, a job and some travel I did. They both were quite extended duration (5+ years) and a far better indicator of who I was than my more recent clinical experiences. I still got in.

I did hit upon my clinical experience in my PS, because it was that clinical experience that convinced me that I ought to become a physician next.