Most prestigious medical specialty according to ap news...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MOST PRESTIGIOUS SPECIALTY ON THIS LIST

• CARDIOLOGY

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • ONCOLOGY

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • SURGERY

Votes: 82 60.3%

• Total voters

NaughtyGirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Three specialties have been listed as the most prestigious medical specialties according to a gallup poll.

Which of these three specialties do you think is the MOST PRESTIGIOUS?

Members don't see this ad.

Who has the most prestige? a Cardiologist, Oncologist, or Surgeon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally think transplant surgery is pretty badass :)

cardio-surgery.... or cardio-transplant-surgeon :p.... and of course cardiooncology surgeon...

but @ geekchick: DAMN, they friggin' rebuilt portions of the heart from other tissues, lacking a contractile trigger. IS this new?? i never heard this before!

Podiatry. The only problem is that it's pretty tough to get your foot in the door.

I never got the impression that oncology was regarded as a "prestigious" specialty.

clearly.

i'm surprised heart surgeon isn't a choice. seeing as...well. it's heart surgery!

Lol cardiac surgeons... I know i'm going to offend lots of cardiac surgeons for saying this.. but I dont think they're all that impressive.
My ranking for surgeons is as follows:
1. Neuro
2. Vascular
3. Cardio
4. all others =)

Members don't see this ad :)
cardio-surgery.... or cardio-transplant-surgeon :p.... and of course cardiooncology surgeon...

but @ geekchick: DAMN, they friggin' rebuilt portions of the heart from other tissues, lacking a contractile trigger. IS this new?? i never heard this before!

Well, that article is seven years old, but considering the fact that she had a rare form of cancer and, I'm guessing, had an extreme case since the tumors kept returning, I'm thinking this kind of surgery isn't necessary all too often, ya know? I was just trying to find something that combined all three specialties listed in the poll.

And yeah, really, I would say certain subspecialties of surgery are generally considered the most prestigious, or at least the most impressive. Neuro, CV and transplant are all definitely up there. I would say that crazy in-utero fetal surgery is probably pretty up there, too.

Lol cardiac surgeons... I know i'm going to offend lots of cardiac surgeons for saying this.. but I dont think they're all that impressive.
My ranking for surgeons is as follows:
1. Neuro
2. Vascular
3. Cardio
4. all others =)
Don't underestimate the importance/knowledge of your urologist either. ;)

neurosurgery, CTsurgery, Traumasurgery,....

I vote for cardiothoracic medicine and trauma surgery...because those doctors are gods...(look at the video in my sig).

Well, that article is seven years old, but considering the fact that she had a rare form of cancer and, I'm guessing, had an extreme case since the tumors kept returning.

She technically doesn't have cancer, myxomas are benign tumors that can locally recur if you don't get all of it out, but they won't ever metastasize. The reason why she could die from it is because it causes obstructive symptoms, interfering with blood flow.

She technically doesn't have cancer, myxomas are benign tumors that can locally recur if you don't get all of it out, but they won't ever metastasize. The reason why she could die from it is because it causes obstructive symptoms, interfering with blood flow.

Yeah, I got what the problem was from the article. You're right;I shouldn't have said cancer. Point is, regardless, that she had a persistent and very rare form of neoplasm so who knows how often they even need to do a surgery like that.

Three specialties have been listed as the most prestigious medical specialties according to a gallup poll.

Which of these three specialties do you think is the MOST PRESTIGIOUS?

Cardiologists: bristling at the words "interventional radiology."
Oncologists: perpetually glazed over because they just lost another one.
Surgeons: just missed their kid's baseball game for lap chole.

I see these guys in the hospital and none of them are exactly oozing prestige. Want to impress those around you? Pursue the field you like with gusto.

1. An alternative wording for this poll could be, "Most pretentious specialty?" The answer would be the same though.

2. Who the frack cares?

Pediatric-oncologic-neurosurgery.