Most remote, highest paying stints to pull as a new grad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flymolo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just asking a question knowing there may not be an answer forthcoming but here I forward it:

Where would a new pharmacist with no family or obligations go to earn the most amount of money?

Student loans are going to KILL me when i get out in 2018. I project ill be at 170k in debt. I wouldnt mind spending a couple of years in alaska or hell even afganistan if it meant I could really put a dent in them. Anyone have any leads?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
170k is a pretty comfortable amount of debt compared to all these California grads taking out 300-400k in loans.

How about El Paso?

170k is a pretty comfortable amount of debt compared to all these California grads taking out 300-400k in loans.

How about El Paso?
Who in their right mind would take out so much loan for pharmacy???

That's even pushing it as too much for medicine

Reactions: 3 users
ok so you factor that all in and they end up getting paid 18 dollars effectively an hour or something similar. is that enough? I know undergrad interns who make double that. UNDERGRAD INTERNS

Who in their right mind would take out so much loan for pharmacy???

That's even pushing it as too much for medicine

USC College of Pharmacy will cost about 380-400k based on the costs they provide on their website. Go to the USC class threads, they can not be deterred by all the warnings we give them.

USC College of Pharmacy will cost about 380-400k based on the costs they provide on their website. Go to the USC class threads, they can not be deterred by all the warnings we give them.
That is highway robbery and completely criminal

Tbh it's shameful to be associated with a profession like this that is almost all about money now

Last edited:
Military?
military doesnt pay that much. I think army gives you 120,000 when you sign up but you never know it for sure. Pharmacists are treated like sh-it everywhere, even in military. Look at other profession like dental and medicine. military has HPSP and so many other options for helping them. For pharmacy? barely.

If you are not going the PSLF route then consider another alternative to living in remote areas; living in an urban area where there is plenty of float or OT opportunity. You can easily push over 200K in income plus enjoy the benefits/companionship a major city provides.

You seem young and very motivated. Consider working for Walgreens/CVS in a ghetto store where plenty of OT will be available to you. I know people who made $170K+ with OT on one job. And consider working part-time at a grocery chain, big box store or other place that does not conflict with Walgreens/CVS that pay high floater rates. Could be another $90K in part time income. If you live frugally for three to four year you could get that loan paid off.

If you are not going the PSLF route then consider another alternative to living in remote areas; living in an urban area where there is plenty of float or OT opportunity. You can easily push over 200K in income plus enjoy the benefits/companionship a major city provides.

You seem young and very motivated. Consider working for Walgreens/CVS in a ghetto store where plenty of OT will be available to you. I know people who made $170K+ with OT on one job. And consider working part-time at a grocery chain, big box store or other place that does not conflict with Walgreens/CVS that pay high floater rates. Could be another $90K in part time income. If you live frugally for three to four year you could get that loan paid off.

For sure i have been thinking about this. It's sortof a misnomer(?) to call it overtime mabey(?) as most states laws exclude sallaried professionals from getting time and a half pay. I had heard that Walgreens and other chains pay something like time an a quarter IIRC? Definatley an option.

I dont mind pulling long hours especially if I know Im earning $70 to $80 an hour past 40, but I also hear that jobs in cities are going to really going to be feeling some downward pressure as bastards like me are going to start flooding the job market.

There was a guy here who was paid an insane amount of money for doing some contract work at the USPHS hospital in Barrow, Alaska.

USPHS doesn't pay as much as the private sector, but they do have a housing and meal allowance, because they're paramilitary, and may have provisions for loan forgiveness. My experience with them was rotations in 1994, so I'm sure things have changed since then. (My roommate was an optometry student who had over 100K in loans, and seriously considered it but I don't think she did in the end; they would forgive IIRC 30K per year of service, up to 3 years.)

At that time, the H&M allowance was about $1,500 a month for a single person, with about $500 a month added on for each family member, and it was tax-free too. :)

CVS does not offer overtime pay for pharmacists in most states. They just make a few extra dollars per hour. If you are willing to work overnight you will bank.

Don't stress out about student loans. There are income based options with loan forgiveness.

Good luck with school!

Members don't see this ad :)
The ghetto store is the place to be for OT, they rarely find floaters so the OT tends to be yours for the taking.

There was a guy here who was paid an insane amount of money for doing some contract work at the USPHS hospital in Barrow, Alaska.

USPHS doesn't pay as much as the private sector, but they do have a housing and meal allowance, because they're paramilitary, and may have provisions for loan forgiveness. My experience with them was rotations in 1994, so I'm sure things have changed since then. (My roommate was an optometry student who had over 100K in loans, and seriously considered it but I don't think she did in the end; they would forgive IIRC 30K per year of service, up to 3 years.)

At that time, the H&M allowance was about $1,500 a month for a single person, with about $500 a month added on for each family member, and it was tax-free too. :)

With all the bonuses and goodies and things they throw in then yeah, its a substantial amount more than private sector. A google search showed this link... well lemme fix the link but yeah without taxes takehome pay is about 20% better and theres better benifits and retirement options.

How about El Paso?

El Paso pays that much? It's a nice city, so move there then. I know they have very few hospital jobs there now, not sure about retail.

El Paso pays that much? It's a nice city, so move there then. I know they have very few hospital jobs there now, not sure about retail.

"El Paso" and "nice city" don't appear in the same sentence often, unless that sentence is "It would be nice to get the hell out of El Paso and live in a real city."

Reactions: 5 users
"El Paso" and "nice city" don't appear in the same sentence often, unless that sentence is "It would be nice to get the hell out of El Paso and live in a real city."

I mean it's no Philly or SF, but it is a city and really not bad. The downtown area is alright, plus lots of hiking.

Laredo, TX. Had a friend do a temp PIC gig down there at CVS for about 8mo and made a killing. I suggest you start purchasing firearms now as you'll likely need an arsenal.

They are hiring a Medical marijuana pharmacist in Minnesota part time with a $100,000 salary.

This doesn't sound realistic. Their program has not been very successful with low patient enrollment. I saw an ad for the director of the state program from June 2014 for 75 to 100k. Can you post the listing?

I know someone who got offered 132,000 + 15K sign on bonus for rural new Mexico...and I mean... Rural

How about El Paso?

Laredo, TX. Had a friend do a temp PIC gig down there at CVS for about 8mo and made a killing. I suggest you start purchasing firearms now as you'll likely need an arsenal.

Stupid question: Would fluency in Spanish be required/necessary to work in one of these locations?

So which pharmacies offer time and a half for overtime? I'm still a student, but I think Walgreens offers time+$10

Every hospital I've looked into offers time and a half.

For hourly pharmacists. Salary is not time and a half ... I get my hourly rate at my current job, and my previous job it was also your hourly. If you picked up a hard to fill shift or call off it was hourly plus bonus (depending on situation, anywhere from 15-35/hr more). H

I guess I should check into this. My new job is salaried, first time I've ever worked that way. I guess I should brace myself to not get such a nice boost if I pick up other shifts.

I would want to add Barrow, AK isn't just a "rural" area. It is a town of about 4,600 people at the northern tip of Alaska which there are no permanent roads to nearby cities. Everything has to be either shipped (during summer when the Arctic Ocean thaws) or flown in.

Stupid question: Would fluency in Spanish be required/necessary to work in one of these locations?
Definitely required. My buddy said Docs would frequently call in scripts in Spanish.

I know someone who got offered 132,000 + 15K sign on bonus for rural new Mexico...and I mean... Rural

Do you know what town it was in? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

It would be helpful, that's for sure.

When I lost my job in 2010, my sister invited me to live with her in San Diego, which I declined for a number of reasons, that being one of them. A couple years before that, some of us got e-mails from a recruiter to work in a small city in Kansas (IIRC, Dodge City) and they were paying $85 an hour BUT also required fluency in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese. Finding someone fluent in all three would be a very long shot, that's for sure.

I was offered low 140s and a sign on bonus for some mountain towns, might want to look there.

I was offered low 140s and a sign on bonus for some mountain towns, might want to look there.

Which mountain towns? Are we talking about West Virginia or "real" mountain towns in Colorado?

Just asking a question knowing there may not be an answer forthcoming but here I forward it:

Where would a new pharmacist with no family or obligations go to earn the most amount of money?

Student loans are going to KILL me when i get out in 2018. I project ill be at 170k in debt. I wouldnt mind spending a couple of years in alaska or hell even afganistan if it meant I could really put a dent in them. Anyone have any leads?

I've heard good things about North Dakota. The oild field areas are paying McDonalds employees $15+ and Pharm Techs average at least $20+ per hour. I have had some trouble finding pharmacist salaries, but anecdotally, 140-150k seems possible for a new grad.

I also want to add that if you are able to get a job in San Francisco and live in a tiny apartment, you can probably come out ahead. The salaries are higher there and you can get 1.5X pay for overtime.

There is decent pay in west texas (bad parts of El Paso). The murder rate there may surpass Afghanistan in many zipcodes. Try to find a store with bullet proof glass or at least get a good life insurance policy.

Last edited:
There are a number of openings in the north woods of Wisconsin. I get mailings about it every so often.

You can make mad bank on overnights (retail or hospital). The shift differential is sweet, especially if you're working a holiday. :)

I also want to add that if you are able to get a job in San Francisco and live in a tiny apartment, you can probably come out ahead. The salaries are higher there and you can get 1.5X pay for overtime.

Yeah, I heard on NPR people are turning dumpsters into houses out there and it's only like 5k per month.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard good things about North Dakota. The oild field areas are paying McDonalds employees $15+ and Pharm Techs average at least $20+ per hour. I have had some trouble finding pharmacist salaries, but anecdotally, 140-150k seems possible for a new grad.

The oil boom is over, at least for the moment. Thousands were laid off and moved. I have no first-hand knowledge of wages decreasing of those who have stayed, but the state is in a very different place than it was just 1 year ago. I am not in oil country but very close to it.