Most unpleasant aspects of your job as a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAtoPharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PA anesthetist student who is strongly considering withdrawing from my program to attend pharmacy school (I am aware of the oversupply issues; I live in an undesirable area of the southeast where there are only a few pharmacy schools within a 2-3 hr radius). I have posted the link to a thread I made on the Pre-Pharmacy program in which I explain why I want to make this career switch.

Having said that, before I make any definitive decisions, I'd like to ask you guys -- what are the most unpleasant, day-to-day aspects of being a pharmacist? In other words, even if you enjoy your job overall, what are the elements of the job that every pharmacist has to deal with that you wish didn't exist?

I also had a couple other brief questions. As a retail pharmacist working for Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, etc., is your work day primarily spent filling prescription after prescription? When the work becomes stressful, what's the actual cause of the stress -- too many prescriptions to fill, whiny patients, monotony/boredom associated with doing the same thing over and over again, etc.? Or is there some other source of stress associated with being a retail pharmacist that I'm not familiar with?

Also, does anyone happen to know how to go about shadowing a pharmacist? Can someone actually shadow a retail pharmacist working, for example, at Walgreens?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help answer my questions....

Original thread on Pre-Pharm forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-considering-pharmacy-school-instead.1163937/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's inpatient pharmacy, amb care, long-term care pharmacy, independent, etc. Why retail pharmacy?

I'm currently living out-of-state since I'm still enrolled in my PA program while I try to figure out just what, exactly, I want to do career-wise; I'm not really familiar with the area (including the local pharmacies), but there are at least several retail pharmacies near where I live.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't stand the lack of adequate tech help and having to deal with absolute chaos in the day wondering why Walmart wont pay 50 more dollars to have a cashier all day to make the day infinitely better.

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely feel that I wasn't prepared for the "people issues", like HR-related stuff. Addressing your partner pharmacist when they suck or are doing something incorrectly, trying to cover vacations, dealing with attitudes of technicians, writing them up for calling off and dealing with being short staffed when they do or watching them being rude to customers and having to address those issues with them. I didn't realize how much your team behind the counter can impact your job satisfaction and the customers perception of you and your pharmacy.

As far as day to day activities, filling Rx's does obviously take the largest amount of the day but you would not believe how many phone calls and walk-ins you get just asking about drug interactions, recommendations, your advice on what their dr told them, etc. that's my favorite part. Giving immunizations is also kind of nice because it gives you a chance to talk to your customers in a semi-private area, usually they like to talk about other medical issues they're having while you're giving the shot. And if your chain offers clinical services like Outcomes or something you get even more of that

Of course you have rude and inconsiderate customers all the time who can ruin your day if you let them but if you actually try to have a good attitude while working I think the nice ones will overpower how the mean ones make you feel. A lot more people than I realized value pharmacists and honestly do trust us to guide them. I really do like retail pharmacy and I think dealing with the day to day aggravation yet getting to go home without work following you home or being "on call" or something is well worth the pay

Also, it should be easy to shadow a retail pharmacist. Some companies may require you to do some HIPAA training before you do but I know I was able to shadow at CVS, Rite Aid, and an independent before I went to pharmacy school just by calling the pharmacy and asking.

There are no negatives in retail.

Everyone who complains here doesn't have a well trained/hard working staff which probably includes themselves.

I'm a PA anesthetist student who is strongly considering withdrawing from my program to attend pharmacy school (I am aware of the oversupply issues; I live in an undesirable area of the southeast where there are only a few pharmacy schools within a 2-3 hr radius). I have posted the link to a thread I made on the Pre-Pharmacy program in which I explain why I want to make this career switch.

Having said that, before I make any definitive decisions, I'd like to ask you guys -- what are the most unpleasant, day-to-day aspects of being a pharmacist? In other words, even if you enjoy your job overall, what are the elements of the job that every pharmacist has to deal with that you wish didn't exist?

I also had a couple other brief questions. As a retail pharmacist working for Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, etc., is your work day primarily spent filling prescription after prescription? When the work becomes stressful, what's the actual cause of the stress -- too many prescriptions to fill, whiny patients, monotony/boredom associated with doing the same thing over and over again, etc.? Or is there some other source of stress associated with being a retail pharmacist that I'm not familiar with?

Also, does anyone happen to know how to go about shadowing a pharmacist? Can someone actually shadow a retail pharmacist working, for example, at Walgreens?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-considering-pharmacy-school-instead.1163937/

It looks like you already made up your mind and want to go into pharmacy and you are trying to get people to talk you into it. Realize that by dropping out of PA school and entering pharmacy, you basically wasted a PA spot that could have been well used by a motivated applicant.

I find the work as a pharmacist is be simple. You don't need to be smart or even highly motivated to succeed. This means you can keep on working until you are in your 50s, even 60s if you are lucky.

The hard part is finding work that is in a good location and doesn't require you to provide customer service. If you have those two down, things are actually pretty good compared to other professions.

- high salary
- good benefits
- reasonable hours for a healthcare professional

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the responses that have been posted so far! I'll definitely take all the advice/information everyone has posted so far into consideration when it comes to making my decision.

@Amicable Angora -- actually, my motivation for making this post was the opposite of me trying to get folks to talk me into pursuing pharmacy; rather, I decided to ask about the unpleasant aspects because I actually wanted to make sure that I was 100% aware of what I was getting myself into.

I'm happy to hear that most chain pharmacies will allow someone to shadow in their pharmacy department; I'll definitely see about arranging to do that within the next week or so.

Just out of curiosity, what makes some retail pharmacists very negative, bitter, and curmudgeonly after 15-20 years of working as one? The reason I ask is because there's a pharmacist who's been working for 12+ years at a local chain grocery store, and this guy is insanely rude and unpleasant towards basically everyone. It's like it pains him to ask, ".... can I HELP you......" if he happens to be in the position of having to greet a customer at the pick-up/drop-off window because the tech is busy doing something else. Honestly, I've probably never encountered such a rude-acting professional in ANY other setting.

So are you thinking about dropping out of your pa program to do pharmd?

If your pa program is a 2 year program, you might as well just complete it. There are two dual pharmd/pa programs that's I know of. Maybe transfer? I know you'll be losing at least a year before you apply and gain acceptance to pharmacy schools.

Your area may not be saturated now, but I highly doubt that trend will continue. Since you bring up chains. I heard that right now cvs's full time hours are 30 hours. I think the worst part about working for a chain is knowing how easily you can replaced and knowing all the metrics and corporate policies that you have to follow, that are not related to pharmacy work. Being pressured by drug seekers isn't great.

Overall, I think if u want to open a pharmacy or work for hospital, ambcare, managed care, it might be worth doing. But definitely not to be chain Slave

So are you thinking about dropping out of your pa program to do pharmd?

If your pa program is a 2 year program, you might as well just complete it. There are two dual pharmd/pa programs that's I know of. Maybe transfer? I know you'll be losing at least a year before you apply and gain acceptance to pharmacy schools.

Your area may not be saturated now, but I highly doubt that trend will continue. Since you bring up chains. I heard that right now cvs's full time hours are 30 hours. I think the worst part about working for a chain is knowing how easily you can replaced and knowing all the metrics and corporate policies that you have to follow, that are not related to pharmacy work. Being pressured by drug seekers isn't great.

Overall, I think if u want to open a pharmacy or work for hospital, ambcare, managed care, it might be worth doing. But definitely not to be chain Slave

Thanks for responding. So when you say that CVS's full-time hours are only 30/week, does that mean they're paying pharmacists in the range of $70k-$80k/year (I.e., no longer $100k/yr)? Are other chains following suit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses that have been posted so far! I'll definitely take all the advice/information everyone has posted so far into consideration when it comes to making my decision.

@Amicable Angora -- actually, my motivation for making this post was the opposite of me trying to get folks to talk me into pursuing pharmacy; rather, I decided to ask about the unpleasant aspects because I actually wanted to make sure that I was 100% aware of what I was getting myself into.

I'm happy to hear that most chain pharmacies will allow someone to shadow in their pharmacy department; I'll definitely see about arranging to do that within the next week or so.

Just out of curiosity, what makes some retail pharmacists very negative, bitter, and curmudgeonly after 15-20 years of working as one? The reason I ask is because there's a pharmacist who's been working for 12+ years at a local chain grocery store, and this guy is insanely rude and unpleasant towards basically everyone. It's like it pains him to ask, ".... can I HELP you......" if he happens to be in the position of having to greet a customer at the pick-up/drop-off window because the tech is busy doing something else. Honestly, I've probably never encountered such a rude-acting professional in ANY other setting.

Retail does that to many people. There is only so much you can take. In order to deal with it, they just don't care anymore. They do their 8 hour shift and then go home and do it again the next day. They don't care to learn about new drugs or keep their knowledge fresh. They are rude and edgy. Maybe that is just a way people deal with a crappy job.

Seriously, retail is probably one of the worst jobs out there. Money doesn't matter when you need to keep on doing something you hate.

I don't think shadowing is enough. They are not going to let you shadow when it is busy or with a pharmacist who is going to tell you to keep away. You need to actually work in a pharmacy, 40 hours a week during the busy winter season to get an idea.

If you can avoid retail then there are good opportunities. If you are stuck there then you may just regret your decision. Trust me, most retail pharmacists regret their decision.

I've met quite a few pharmacists that hate their jobs. What do they all have in common? Laziness. If you aren't willing to do anything but stand in front of your computer then yes you will hate your job. I know all my regular customers, talk to all of them and really enjoy my job.

In the end if you enjoy fast pace, customer service, and quick days like me then you will love retail. If you are lazy and hate having to get work done, go to hospital.

I've met quite a few pharmacists that hate their jobs. What do they all have in common? Laziness. If you aren't willing to do anything but stand in front of your computer then yes you will hate your job. I know all my regular customers, talk to all of them and really enjoy my job.

In the end if you enjoy fast pace, customer service, and quick days like me then you will love retail. If you are lazy and hate having to get work done, go to hospital.

Are you seriously that simple minded? Pharmacists hate retail because they are being treated like crap not just by the customers but also by corp. It has nothing to do with them being lazy. It has everything to do with them eating **** and coming back for more.

You talked about having a trained staff. That sounds nice and all but when your corp is paying techs just above the minimum wage, why should they stay and be treated like crap all day? They can make more working for McDonald's.

Reactions: 3 users
We aren't treated like crap and when we occasionally are, those customers are asked to leave. Oh and I have complete support to do that too.

It just drives me crazy how everyone is negative on retail. Well ask yourself why does your life suck but mine doesn't? (Obviously not you but to retail pharmacists in general)

I've said this before but when I used to pick up shifts, it amazed me how chaotic so many stores were. A lack of leadership is what causes this. I am not given more hours then other stores, I simply have my staff trained correctly.

Oh and my senior techs make over $15/hour, that's pretty good if you ask me.

We aren't treated like crap and when we occasionally are, those customers are asked to leave. Oh and I have complete support to do that too.

It just drives me crazy how everyone is negative on retail. Well ask yourself why does your life suck but mine doesn't? (Obviously not you but to retail pharmacists in general)

What is going to happen when they changed your DM and your tech hours get cut? Are you going to sing a different tone then?

If you have such a strong leadership, then what the heck are you still working at the store level?

What is going to happen when they changed your DM and your tech hours get cut? Are you going to sing a different tone then?

If you have such a strong leadership, then what the heck are you still working at the store level?

My tech hours are 10% lower then they were last year.

I have no desire of moving up. I am a pharmacist, customers are what keeps me going. My most favorite thing is getting cards/food from my customers telling me how much they love our staff here.

I apologize that there are still pharmacists out there that enjoy what they do at retail.

I have no desire of moving up. I am a pharmacist, customers are what keeps me going. My most favorite thing is getting cards/food from my customers telling me how much they love our staff here.

I apologize that there are still pharmacists out there that enjoy what they do at retail.

Come back to me and they cut another 10%. Let's see how good is your leadership then.

What happens if you just schedule the same as last year? What exactly do they do?

Just let Wagrxm wait until the local hospital has 6 tech openings suddenly come up and they are offering 16 per hour + evening/night diff and his "awesome staff" suddenly gets cut down by 6 because corp won't give them an extra $1/hour that you have been asking for for 2+ years. Now you have all new staff that you have to train and your boss thinks you can use the same amount of tech hours as you did before and still be at 100% productivity (I mean hell, they went thorough the 4 in class trainings right?) Who knows though, maybe he is one of the few lucky rphs who works with customers that are cool with 1+ hour wait times.

Thanks for responding. So when you say that CVS's full-time hours are only 30/week, does that mean they're paying pharmacists in the range of $70k-$80k/year (I.e., no longer $100k/yr)? Are other chains following suit?

I think around the country CVS' wages are 60 to 65 bucks an hour. So you do the math. All chains follow in footsteps of CVS. In CA, Rite aid has been hiring new grads with 24 hr guarantee.

I think around the country CVS' wages are 60 to 65 bucks an hour. So you do the math. All chains follow in footsteps of CVS. In CA, Rite aid has been hiring new grads with 24 hr guarantee.

What part of CA is Rite Aid offering 24hr guarantee?

I enjoyed working retail too...5% of the time when I actually had time to help people. The rest of the time I ran around like crazy trying to help drive-thru, phones, drop-off and pick up with only me and 1 technician in the pharmacy. I am lazy because I can't be in 3 places at once? It sounds like you've got a great staff which is key to running a great pharmacy, but what happens when they leave? Some chains in certain markets can't enough hire enough techs to fill their pathetic tech hour allocation. And you can't make great techs out of lazy people, no matter how good your leadership skills are.

New unpleasantness. Retail floaters that are functionally Inept and can barely manage to dress themselves due to being a dullard or approach the age of the grail knight in the third Indiana jones movie

The hospital here pays 12 to new hires. My top tech is in the 15 -16 range.

Sorry negative people, I just enjoy what I do.

I like how its now turned from retail sucks to oh you like your job what if this and what if that happens. Well what if Walgreens decides it will give more hours. Oh shocking.

You act like I've never had a tech leave. We have people that work part time back here but get a majority of their hours up front. When one person leaves, those people step in.

Last edited:

I like how its now turned from retail sucks to oh you like your job what if this and what if that happens. Well what if Walgreens decides it will give more hours. Oh shocking.

Yeah that makes sense. Walgreens is going to give you more hours while it is cutting $1.5 billion from its budget:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0N017K20150409

I don't think anybody here care whether you like your job or not but calling people lazy because they don't like retail? Come on. You know better

That is the same crap "emerging leaders" like NateRobinson and RxNupe believe. Where are they now?

Reactions: 2 users

I'd suggest reading the archives of this blog: http://drugmonkey.blogspot.com

Just FYI, my alma mater allows alumni to come back for pharmacy school interviews and they are given a grade of either accept, neutral, or reject. I can already tell you that you're 10/10 interview performance wouldn't deter me from giving you a reject. You went to PA school for a reason. Need to stick it out.

I don't think anybody here care whether you like your job or not but calling people lazy because they don't like retail? Come on. You know better

That is the same crap "emerging leaders" like NateRobinson and RxNupe believe. Where are they now?

You think I haven't had pharmacists pick up shifts here? All the negative ones are horrible to work with. You guys continue to bitch about retail and I'll continue to enjoy it.

Just FYI, my alma mater allows alumni to come back for pharmacy school interviews and they are given a grade of either accept, neutral, or reject. I can already tell you that you're 10/10 interview performance wouldn't deter me from giving you a reject. You went to PA school for a reason. Need to stick it out.

Why do you say I should be obligated to stick it out? What's wrong with deciding something isn't for you and realizing that another profession might be a better fit for your personality, interests, etc.?

Why do you say I should be obligated to stick it out? What's wrong with deciding something isn't for you and realizing that another profession might be a better fit for your personality, interests, etc.?

There's nothing wrong with it. I don't know if a pharmacy school is willing to give you a slot out of fear that you may take one away from a student who actually wants to be a pharmacist. It's the classic story of the perfect pharmacy school interview that ends with the question "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and the candidate says medical school. Nothing wrong with going to medical school but don't take away a slot from a student who wants to utilize the degree they're applying for. I say the same to you. You took away a spot from a student who really wanted to be a PA. Who's to say you won't do that again?

There's nothing wrong with it. I don't know if a pharmacy school is willing to give you a slot out of fear that you may take one away from a student who actually wants to be a pharmacist. It's the classic story of the perfect pharmacy school interview that ends with the question "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and the candidate says medical school. Nothing wrong with going to medical school but don't take away a slot from a student who wants to utilize the degree they're applying for. I say the same to you. You took away a spot from a student who really wanted to be a PA. Who's to say you won't do that again?

Those are good points. Obviously, before making any firm, irreversible decisions regarding my career, I would need to spend LOTS of time shadowing pharmacists and probably working as a tech, as others have suggested.

One other question about your post, though... why do you say that pharmacy schools would be hesitant to accept me because they're afraid I'll take a slot from someone who "actually wants" to be a pharmacist? Are you saying that it sounds like I'm not pursuing pharmacy for the so-called "right" reasons?

Those are good points. Obviously, before making any firm, irreversible decisions regarding my career, I would need to spend LOTS of time shadowing pharmacists and probably working as a tech, as others have suggested.

One other question about your post, though... why do you say that pharmacy schools would be hesitant to accept me because they're afraid I'll take a slot from someone who "actually wants" to be a pharmacist? Are you saying that it sounds like I'm not pursuing pharmacy for the so-called "right" reasons?

What were you doing when you went into PA school??? Did you do something different in your research to make you think Pharmacy is better?

What were you doing when you went into PA school??? Did you do something different in your research to make you think Pharmacy is better?

I had actually narrowed my career choices down to pharmacy and anesthesia and had a really hard time making a decision as to which profession I would be better suited for. I'm thinking that I chose to pursue the anesthesia PA route for the wrong reasons (my own parents even thought pharmacy was a better fit). I've got a week-long break coming up soon, so like I said in one of my earlier posts -- I'm definitely going to spend some time shadowing pharmacists before I make any decisions.

You think I haven't had pharmacists pick up shifts here? All the negative ones are horrible to work with. You guys continue to bitch about retail and I'll continue to enjoy it.

How long have you worked as a pharmacist?

If you truly see pharmacy as your dream, do it. One person's opinion does not equal all interviewer.

I had actually narrowed my career choices down to pharmacy and anesthesia and had a really hard time making a decision as to which profession I would be better suited for. I'm thinking that I chose to pursue the anesthesia PA route for the wrong reasons (my own parents even thought pharmacy was a better fit). I've got a week-long break coming up soon, so like I said in one of my earlier posts -- I'm definitely going to spend some time shadowing pharmacists before I make any decisions.

So why did you choose PA? What were these wrong reasons?

You act like I've never had a tech leave. We have people that work part time back here but get a majority of their hours up front. When one person leaves, those people step in.

No, I'm not just being negative. I'm glad you like your job, and now that I'm out of retail I like my job too. OP asked for examples of stress in retail, and 95% of responses have been legitimate concerns over the quality of life in retail pharmacy jobs. Your tribe has spoken.

No, I'm not just being negative. I'm glad you like your job, and now that I'm out of retail I like my job too. OP asked for examples of stress in retail, and 95% of responses have been legitimate concerns over the quality of life in retail pharmacy jobs. Your tribe has spoken.

And I want people to understand that if you are a hard worker, the job will be easy. A lot of what I learn from the staff pharmacist or floaters is from my techs. My techs are amazing so when they tell me they had a bad day and how the pharmacist did, its always the lazy ones that cause it.

It's not about the wrong reasons vs. the right reasons; it's about a track record of not finishing things.

So why did you choose PA? What were these wrong reasons?

A combination of more superficial reasons such as the PA path being shorter/faster and possibly cheaper, and thinking that I'd actually like the type of patient interaction that anesthesia PAs have.

How much longer until you finish PA school?

Also, do you have to work as aan anesthesia PA when done?

I still have 5+ semesters to go in the PA program (just started this summer). To answer your second question -- yes, I would only be able to work as an anesthesiology PA.

I had actually narrowed my career choices down to pharmacy and anesthesia

The profession where you put people to sleep or the one where you just WISH you could put them to "sleep"? Anesthesiology all the way.

Working nights weekends and holidays. The non-traditional work schedule
This is a big one for me as well. I work every other weekend and at least half or more than half of the major holidays (Xmas, Thanksgiving, New Years, Memorial Day, Easter, Labor Day)

Constantly being short staffed and of course clueless management. I work as a inpatient clinical pharmacist but we have to rotate staffing which I don't mind we always rotate into the day staffing shift but its at the point now to where we're short a staff pharmacist (one left) so were having to rotate evening staff shifts, mixed in with morning staff shifts, and of course doing our clinical shifts.

Having to fend off the flu shot Nazis. They expect us to push something for which there is no proven efficacy. Thankfully the public has gotten smarter. Flu shot numbers are significantly down this year. Even there false claims of 40k deaths per year are falling on deaf ears.

Having to fend off the flu shot Nazis. They expect us to push something for which there is no proven efficacy. Thankfully the public has gotten smarter. Flu shot numbers are significantly down this year. Even there false claims of 40k deaths per year are falling on deaf ears.

Aside from all inane babble, pushing flu shots is a good point as well. If I was a customer id complain to cooperate a out the amount of badgering we do trying to push flu shots on people. I think you should get them and you're an idiot if you don't but we shouldn't be pestering people to the point of angry and annoyance