Most Unusual Position for RN / NP / PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FireCloud9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the most unusual or rare job / position / career (that still requires healthcare credentials) that you know or have heard of for a RN / NP or PA? (Doesn't have to be clinical setting)

Members don't see this ad.

know a few nurses that work as RNs for an MLB and NBA team (ALS and BLS protocols...and they also staff rock concerts in same field/arena).
They worked the MLB all star game this summer.

A couple of them also worked a high profile (MLB sponsored) golf tourney over the summer (I guess the MLB lawyers wanted ALS at the event)...

Last edited:
there are pa positions with many federal agencies like nasa, noaa, cia etc doing cool stuff as well as for the state dept at every foreign embassy.
there is a pa in the white house/with the president 24/7 and one with the vp 24/7. these are military pa's and I believe the position rotates between the services every yr. the guy who saved cheney's friend when he shot him hunting was his assigned pa.
pa jobs in antarctica are also very cool.
THESE TOO:
http://www.remotemedical.com/Physicians-Assistant

AND working/volunteering as a clinically practicing hospital director in Kenya or Ethiopia would be quite the experience:
http://www.lalmba.com/volunteer.html see halfway down the page. A pa is currently in this slot. I know a guy who has worked there before and loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
know a few nurses that work as RNs for an MLB and NBA team (ALS and BLS protocols...and they also staff rock concerts in same field/arena).
They worked the MLB all star game this summer.

A couple of them also worked a high profile (MLB sponsored) golf tourney over the summer (I guess the MLB lawyers wanted ALS at the event)...

I staffed rock concerts for awhile. really depends on who the group is as to how enjoyable it is. at pink floyd we had od's left and right and intubated folks. at lollapolooza we had multiple traumas from the mosh pit and stage divers(b/l open femurs...ow).
by comparison at phil collins we treated 1 asthmatic and for billy joel we had 1 anaphylactic reaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine, who is a PA, is working at the hospital at the base of Mount Everest. She is obviously a total badarse! :cool: Still something clinical and very much applicable to being a PA.

There are many....some worked in pharma...

I know of at least 3 that are medical attorneys now...

I also know of one that works with the CMS in fraud enforcement.

I know of 2 at the CDC doing epidemiology.

One, a very close friend, is now a senior fellow/VP level at the Lewin Group as a researcher.

One, another friend, is the COO of Catholic Healthcare West, which is the 8th largest healthcare system in the country.....

Several function as CEO's of hospitals or medical groups....and at least one in California was voted to be the chief of the Medical Staff by the physicians.....

We're evolving as a profession and diversification is a natural by product of that.

Still, the overwhelming majority are working clinically.

This PA is the chief admin officer for the hopkins emergency medicine group:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/emergencymedicine/Faculty/JHH/scheulen.html

James Scheulen is the Chief Administrative Officer for the Johns Hopkins Department of Emergency Medicine and President of Johns Hopkins Emergency Medical Services. He is responsible for the overall coordination and operations of the Johns Hopkins Medicine Emergency Departments, which together manage over 200,000 emergency visits.

Very interesting!

Sports and music venues, business management positions, and government.

Research? Clinical studies? Education?

CDC sounds pretty cool, though not something for me.

I provided med coverage for President Jimmy Carter when he came to Jackson, MS. Funny thing was it came a downpour right before he landed and a secret service guy came and stood next to me. He said he had so much hardware, radios, machine pistol, etc. that he was afraid of getting hit by lightning. I was nurse manager of the ED at that time and was told no matter if we were cracking a chest in the major trauma room and the Pres had a bullet wound to the arm, that patient was getting the heck out! :cool:

Zenman, did you expect otherwise? LOL - It's the President! Being top dog has its privileges.

Yes, but Jimmy!

I provided med coverage for President Jimmy Carter when he came to Jackson, MS. Funny thing was it came a downpour right before he landed and a secret service guy came and stood next to me. He said he had so much hardware, radios, machine pistol, etc. that he was afraid of getting hit by lightning. I was nurse manager of the ED at that time and was told no matter if we were cracking a chest in the major trauma room and the Pres had a bullet wound to the arm, that patient was getting the heck out! :cool:

So you were nurse manager when you were 26, or 30? How much experience did you have? I just know this because you just celebrated your birthday (happy 61!). (I looked online, but couldn't find out when President Carter visited MS.)

I mean, were you vetted before the POTUS arrival? And, if this was a big enough place to have a major trauma room with thoracotomies, were you the wünderkind?

So you were nurse manager when you were 26, or 30? How much experience did you have? I just know this because you just celebrated your birthday (happy 61!). (I looked online, but couldn't find out when President Carter visited MS.)

I mean, were you vetted before the POTUS arrival? And, if this was a big enough place to have a major trauma room with thoracotomies, were you the wünderkind?

Somewhere around 1975-77. Yep, we occasionally cracked the chest of members of the knife and gun club. I've done internal cardiac massage but I'm no wünderkind cause the trauma surgeon told me to squeeze faster! Thanks for the birthday wish!

Just met a FNP this w/e who works for a very large multi-national insurance company. He works in several states mostly, I gather, doing physicals on individuals seeking very large or unusual policies, including those invoked in film and TV productions. This past week he "examined" a hand model because her left hand (she models rings for a diamond company) was going to be insured for millions. I have no idea how much money he earns, but judging by a few clues I picked up on, he either inherited a small fortune or earns one, lol. He got this job by being in the right place at the right time, and performing a random act of kindness for someone whom it turned out was in a position to recommend him for the position just when there was a need. Karma, serendipity, kismet. Call it what you will, he fell into a once in a million lifetimes opportunity. I love my job, but I confess, I was a little envious. Nothing I do in my workaday routine is nearly as cool as possibly getting to do a physical on Brad Pitt. ;)

I suppose that would be a pretty cool gig for many, and pay very well to boot, but it wouldn't be for me.

I'm not a big fan of traveling for work and not into the whole celebrity scene. I wouldn't know who most are anyway. I may recognize a really famous few, but that's about it - ditto for models, singers, actors, etc.

In the interest of fairness, I gather he sees more business executives you never heard of than movie stars you never heard of. ;) He didn't name drop, he just said some actors and directors for stage, movies and tv, and left it at that. I just said Brad Pitt for a giggle. He never said he'd met Brad Pitt in any capacity, lol. Just wanted to clarify.