About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOT Application for Texas Tech, UTMB & UTHSCSA

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by fruityloops, Oct 23, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. fruityloops

fruityloops

Pre-Rehab Sci [AuD/DPT/OTD]

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hello, I applied for Texas Tech and they sent me an email that says that they would contact me if I was selected for an interview. So far I haven't heard anything from them but could it be that my GPA would affect me? Is there a possibility that any program would even consider me? I'm in a panic mode! It is the first time I apply to Texas Tech and UTHSCSA. It is my second time I apply to UTMB(first choice). Oh by the way my GPA is a 3.0. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks :scared:
  2. Houston6000

Houston6000

What is your major in, and where did you attend for your undergraduate studies?
  3. CCTXgirl

CCTXgirl

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You have a shot if your if your pre-req GPA is high. I think most schools will also look at your GPA for your last 60 hours. How many observation hours do you have?
  4. fruityloops

fruityloops

I got my bachelor in Psychology at UTBrownsville
  5. fruityloops

fruityloops

Well actually my gpa for pre-requisites was exactly a 3.08 and I've done around 60 to 70 observation hours on Pedi unit.
  6. Houston6000

Houston6000

I also majored in Pschology. OT is very competitive as you already know, with those numbers it would be best to have high GRE scores to help off set the 3.08. The average pre req GPA from forums I've read and school websites I seen is about 3.5. Don't give up, you may want to retake some classes or go OTA route first. Personally I have a 3.45 and I will be going OTA route if I don't make it into any OT schools I applied for this cycle. I applied to UTMB, UTHSCSA, and Texas Tech.
  7. Houston6000

Houston6000

I received an invite for interview from UTMB by email today.
  8. fruityloops

fruityloops

Congratulions! I hope it goes good for you! Did you apply for the early acceptance? I am applying for the late one. I thought I was not going to get the chance to even apply for this year but I am glad I have some time. Last year I applied to the early one and got the interview invite around this time too. And I thought about OTA before but I am still iffy about it but maybe I will consider it! Thank you so much for your advice!
  9. Sharealynn

Sharealynn

Hi Houston 6000,

I was wondering when you applied to UTMB? I'm still waiting to hear from them. I applied around the end of September. Oh and congrats!
  10. advoc82OT

advoc82OT

I applied to UTMB and TWU. I submitted my UTMB application around the end of August/beg. of September. I received an interview invite from UTMB on Oct. 15. I know TWU will send out invites in November.
  11. Houston6000

Houston6000

Thank you. I turned things in piece by piece, everything was finally in the week of the deadline.
  12. nijagirl

nijagirl

Other Health Professions Student
    Congrats, am still hoping to get an invite from UTMB though i already have an interview with texas tech for the 9th of nov.
  13. nijagirl

nijagirl

Just got my utmb interview invite for nov 30th.:)
  14. Houston6000

Houston6000

Congrats, I'm nervous about tomorrow.
  15. corgi13

corgi13

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm so excited to interview at UTMB! It's my dream school. I was wondering if they go ahead and interview everyone that applied for the early acceptance? It seems like they are interviewing a ton! Also, does anyone know what the class size is going to look like? Good luck to everyone! :luck:
  16. Houston6000

Houston6000

Congrats Corgi 13. What gives you the impression that everyone is getting interviewed that applied for Early Acceptance? I can't find many boards that are from this cycle.
  17. corgi13

corgi13

From others that I have talked to I get his impression, but I could be completely wrong! For the Nov 30/ Dec 7 cycle they are interviewing over 100 applicants which leads me to believe they are interviewing a ton! I was just curious if anyone knew. :)
  18. Houston6000

Houston6000

Well there were 48 ppl today (Nov.9) and I was told there were 35 in the first group in October.
  19. corgi13

corgi13

Did it go well for you?! Is this a top choice?
  20. Houston6000

Houston6000

It was very nerve racking, however the whole process wasn't bad. I would love to get admitted there, however I have applied to others as well.
  21. nijagirl

nijagirl

could u tell us wat the essay was about?
  22. Houston6000

Houston6000

It is an open discussion really. I was told the essay changes constantly.
  23. HopeToBeAnOT

HopeToBeAnOT

Hi! I was in the first batch of interviews for UTMB, but now am getting really nervous because it really does seem like they are interviewing everyone who applied :( I also applied to TWU and Texas Tech, but I'm pretty sure I did not get an interview for TWU. I can't say for sure because they have been really rude to me when I called/emailed about it, which makes me not want to go to their school anyway. I haven't heard back from Tech yet, so does anyone know if Tech will be having any other interviews for their other early decision applicants? Or was the November 9 date the only one?
  24. corgi13

corgi13

Yeah, UTMB interviews many more than the other schools which could be a good or a bad thing :\
  25. nijagirl

nijagirl

HOPETOBEANOT,

Yes, Texas Tech is still interviewing by phone and onsite. I have a phone interview on the 16th. I also have UTMB on dec 7th. How did ur UTMB interview go? wat was the writing essay about? any other infor will be appreciated.
  26. Bio79

Bio79

Has anyone heard from UTHSCSA? I'm not sure when they are sending out interview invites.
  27. advoc82OT

advoc82OT

Has anyone heard from UTMB?
  28. corgi13

corgi13

They said we would hear December 21st - UTMB
  29. Houston6000

Houston6000

Hey, I applied to both programs. I have not heard from UTHSCA. However, I recieved an email stating that I had everything turned in. I interviewed with UTMB and have not heard anything. While at UTMB we were told that we would hear something before the Christmas Break. I'm getting very restless, though.
  30. lgarci23

lgarci23

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    Has anyone heard from UTMB?
  31. longhorn90

longhorn90

Hi,

I just got my invite to interview on Friday, Jan 25 at 9:30am for UTHSCSA. I hope I get in cuz this has been my only invite so far :/

You should be getting something in the mail soon,

Good luck
  32. blancob1

blancob1

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far! I've been waitlisted for TWU and UTMB. :( The only other interview I have left is Texas Tech. Still waiting on UTSA. The only other option would be the OTA route. But I'm really hoping I can get into the MOT program. Can anyone who has already interviewed for Texas Tech give me an insight on the interview? I'm doing an onsite interview. What questions do they ask? is there an essay? What are they looking for in a potential candidate? Thanks guys! Good luck in your future education! :thumbup: :)
  33. advoc82OT

advoc82OT

Hi Blancob1,

Did they tell you that you were waitlisted for UTMB? I was not completely rejected, but was told it depended how I fell in the Spring applicant pool---I can either be accepted or waitlisted at that point but wouldn't find out until April. Praying they will contact me!
  34. blancob1

blancob1

Hi advoc82OT,

Yes they told me something like that. I was put in an applicant pool and I would have to wait till late registration interviews are done and then they would put our pool with the other pool and then make a decision. Seems like a long shot, but I'm praying and believing that it can happen. Did you apply anywhere else?
  35. advoc82OT

advoc82OT

Yes, at TWU but I did not receive an invite to interview. I knew someone who was placed on the waitlist for TWU and they called her 2 months later, so don't lose hope!
  36. longhorn90

longhorn90

Has anyone gotten an interview for UTHSCSA ? Do you know if they interview a lot of applicants?? I am nervous on how to prepare and is there an essay?
  37. pherrera

pherrera

Psychology Student
    Hi Blancob1!!
    I read that you were waitlisted for UTMB. I don't think you stats are posted anywhere. Would you mind sharing your stats? I would really appreciate it. I am a prospective OT student and I am trying to get a feel of where I should be standing on all aspects. :)
  38. Bio79

Bio79

I haven't heard anything back from UTHSCSA yet, did you receive an email invite or a letter in the mail?
  39. longhorn90

longhorn90

I received a letter in the mail asking for me to participate in the interview phase of the application.
  40. fruityloops

fruityloops

Hello! So I got a letter from UTHSCSA today scheduled for an interview on Feb 1st. Since I never heard anything regarding some issues I had with my application, I thought they had considered it incomplete so I had lost my hopes. It did shock me to see the letter. Now I'm nervous, excited, worried, etc...it's a whole mixture of emotions. :scared: Does anybody now if all who apply get invited to interview? What are the chances? I mean my first choice is UTMB but ofcourse I don't want to let this opportunity go! Any feedback is appreciated ;)
  41. OTtoBe

OTtoBe

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I was invited to interview on jan 11. I applied last year and did not get an interview. They do not interview everyone who applies. Last year they had over 300 applicants.
  42. longhorn90

longhorn90

43. longhorn90

longhorn90

Do you have any idea how many people are accepted into this program??? Thanks
  44. OTtoBe

OTtoBe

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I can't remember, but I want to say around 35. It is nice to think we could be classmates! Good luck to both of you
  45. fruityloops

fruityloops

Oh my goodness that is one good thing to know :D, good luck to you both OTtoBe and longhorn90! But ofcourse that is only the interview, we just got to keep it positive :)
  46. OTtoBe

OTtoBe

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just letting you guys know I had my interview today at UTHSCSA. There are 70 applicants chosen to interview and this year they expanded the class size to 40! The last set of interviews are Feb 1 I believe and we should hear back at the end of February. Good luck!
  47. longhorn90

longhorn90

Is it 70 applicants for just today or in total? I have my interview on jan 25 so I'm a bit nervous! 40 is a good number :)Thank you for the update, best of luck to you too!!
  48. OTtoBe

OTtoBe

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    70 applicants will be interviewed over the course of about 4 weeks or so. From that 40 are chosen for the class:)
  49. longhorn90

longhorn90

Oh ok thank you! Was it a group interview and an individual one? Essay?
  50. OTtoBe

OTtoBe

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Actually there was a short essay this time. You go around individually and speak with 5 different faculty members. Each has their own question. Two had different scenarios to read and one had just a short answer question. Then at the very end you and 4 other people will go to a room and have a group discussion and someone is in there just listening. It wasn't too bad. The main way to prepare is just understanding what OT is and why you want to do it. Just be yourself:)