MOT San Jose State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I focused much of my SOP on my struggles in life and how I overcame them. It was not easy to write but you need to write from your heart, sounds cheesy I know, but write about what drives you and why you chose OT. Keep it professional but add personal stories/ connections that could shine more light on who you are. I did take the GRE but was so stressed out during the test that I did not score as high as I wanted. I wold recommend taking a practice MAT test online and see how you do, I think they are $30 through the official MAT website. As far as which is easiest, that depends on the person. It is only one hour-- compared to nearly 4 for the GRE-- so it is very intense but I loved the analogy type questions, to me the questions made sense and were easy. I scored above the minimum score required by SJSU so I just stuck with the MAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you apply anywhere else? I'm only taking the GRE because it's required by some other schools. But the MAT does look appealing since it's only an hour with no writing.

Hi guys! I am also hoping to apply to the SJSU for the OT program this fall. I was wondering - would you guys recommend waiting until december to apply, after this round of fall classes? I know its rolling applications, but I'd have six out of 8 prereqs completed, and hopefully a more competitive GPA.

Has anybody gotten a positive response from SJSU even after applying well past the application cycle being open?

Members don't see this ad :)
@futureOTsj I only applied to SJSU and because of that I opted for the MAT. What other schools are you applying to? I would recommend taking the GRE if you are applying to others that require it. Good luck!

@otunderdog I would apply as close to the beginning of admissions as possible! I applied right before thanksgiving last year and even then I felt like it was cutting it close. I do believe that this year people were accepted who applied in December/ January but each year is different RE: when they fill the class. If you have at least 4/8 prerequisites completed I would just apply as close to the October 1st start date as possible. Just be sure to include on the application that you are in the process of completing your final classes and a mention of a high mid term grade could be helpful. Best of luck!

@tobyfreedom1 Thank you for your input! I think I will just apply as soon as when SJSU opens up the admission cycle. I'll be sure to post updates on my experience of the application process and SJSU's eventual decision regarding my acceptance/rejection.

@futureOTsj I only applied to SJSU and because of that I opted for the MAT. What other schools are you applying to? I would recommend taking the GRE if you are applying to others that require it. Good luck!

I'm applying to SJSU, Touro Nevada, Midwestern AZ, and University of St. Augustine (SD). I'm hoping to stay local at SJSU since I'm finishing my undergrad there this Fall. I wanted to only take the MAT but with my low GPA I think I have to apply to more than one school to be safe. I took the practice GRE and it was tough.. hoping to take the exam in August.

Thanks for your input! I haven't really started the SOP yet but wanted to see what most people were writing about. Do you mind if I ask what you wrote about? And as for the GRE & MAT requirement.. Have you taken the GRE? and which would you say would be the "easiest" to score higher. Congrats on your acceptance!

I got into the SJSU MOT program for 2014 fall. I was rejected the first time I applied in 2012 for 2013 fall. I completely rewrote my personal statement, and I think that helped.

Here are the list of the major changes I made:

1)Kept it to 1 page (word document) 12 points. I did not take up the whole page on the application (it fits 1.5 pages in word document), even though you are allowed to.
2)Tied everything back to OT. In writing about my work and school experiences the first time around, I got caught up in describing job tasks and skills I developed and just leaving it at that.
3)Chose to talk about things that wasn't elsewhere. For example, since I got LORs from an OT, director of a behavioral intervention program I worked at, and an English Professor. So, I took the opportunity in the statement to talk about my experiences at two previous jobs I was at long term and a school organization I started and led while I was in college. That way, I was "splitting" the work of showing my various experiences between me and the letter writers. I was hoping it would show them I am responsible, etc across many different settings.
4)Show that I understood what OT is and the value of it.
5)Used a lot of words that seem like key words in OT: collaborative, advocacy, empower, independent, etc
6)How my personality fits the field (without stating it outright). For example, i wrote about how I enjoyed teaching, what kind of values/beliefs I have, etc and how it has shown through jobs and personal projects i have picked
7)In the application section under "[What factors make you want to attend MOT program at SJSU]", I wrote about how SJSU program fits my needs.

I hope this helps....paying the forum help I got in each cycle forward :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! I am also hoping to apply to the SJSU for the OT program this fall. I was wondering - would you guys recommend waiting until december to apply, after this round of fall classes? I know its rolling applications, but I'd have six out of 8 prereqs completed, and hopefully a more competitive GPA.

Has anybody gotten a positive response from SJSU even after applying well past the application cycle being open?

The first time I applied, I stressed and rushed to turn it in Oct 21, 2012. And I got rejected. The wait would not have been so bad if they rejected me a month after....but they rejected me all that way in March!

The second time I applied, I nonchalantly turned it in on Jan 4 2014. I was not expecting to get in given how late I turned it in and was mentally prepared for a rejection when I did not hear back after 30 days. So imagine my surprise when I got an acceptance phone call the 2nd week of Feb....I yelled so loud into the phone I hoped afterward that the graduate assistant was not going to flag me as insane :)....

However, I seem to recall that the people who turned it in the second week of Jan were were told spots were already filled up. Im guessing the "too late" point was 2nd week of Jan then....

I got into the SJSU MOT program for 2014 fall. I was rejected the first time I applied in 2012 for 2013 fall. I completely rewrote my personal statement, and I think that helped.

Here are the list of the major changes I made:

1)Kept it to 1 page (word document) 12 points. I did not take up the whole page on the application (it fits 1.5 pages in word document), even though you are allowed to.
2)Tied everything back to OT. In writing about my work and school experiences the first time around, I got caught up in describing job tasks and skills I developed and just leaving it at that.
3)Chose to talk about things that wasn't elsewhere. For example, since I got LORs from an OT, director of a behavioral intervention program I worked at, and an English Professor. So, I took the opportunity in the statement to talk about my experiences at two previous jobs I was at long term and a school organization I started and led while I was in college. That way, I was "splitting" the work of showing my various experiences between me and the letter writers. I was hoping it would show them I am responsible, etc across many different settings.
4)Show that I understood what OT is and the value of it.
5)Used a lot of words that seem like key words in OT: collaborative, advocacy, empower, independent, etc
6)How my personality fits the field (without stating it outright). For example, i wrote about how I enjoyed teaching, what kind of values/beliefs I have, etc and how it has shown through jobs and personal projects i have picked
7)In the application section under "[What factors make you want to attend MOT program at SJSU]", I wrote about how SJSU program fits my needs.

I hope this helps....paying the forum help I got in each cycle forward :)

what were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I have about a 3.2 GPA for last 60 units with a 3.5 GPA for prereqs. So i'm not sure if I'm a competitive enough applicant. Also, I took the MAT and scored below the minimum so I'll have to retake that.. Did you take the MAT also since you only applied to SJSU?

what were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I have about a 3.2 GPA for last 60 units with a 3.5 GPA for prereqs. So i'm not sure if I'm a competitive enough applicant. Also, I took the MAT and scored below the minimum so I'll have to retake that.. Did you take the MAT also since you only applied to SJSU?

These were my stats applying for Fall 2014 :

251 hours of volunteer (hands clinic, pediatrics)

Experience: Worked as a lead counselor for men who are court mandated to receive intervention- 5 years, 1.5 years as an independent living instructor for previously institutionalized individuals, designing and teaching my own classes as an undergrad, led my own student organization, volunteered as a social change coach, worked as a teacher's assistant in a high school at risk night class, worked for a year with autistic children

314 GRE (163 V 151 Q AWA 5)

All prereqs done except for Neuro (All A's and one B+)

Last 60 units a 3.66. I want to point out this is with a "NO CREDIT" grade in a elective class.

4 letters of rec that were great: the volunteer form from hand clinic OT, LOR from pediatrics OT, an LOR from an English professor, and an LOR from my director at a behavioral intervention agency.

Please feel free to ask me any more questions here or email me at [email protected]. I feel so grateful to have gotten in and for all the help forum strangers have given me!

You stats are amazing compared to mine..

Were these the stats the you had when you were rejected previously? Or did you spend the year strengthening your stats.

I'm expecting great LOR and volunteer forms but I only have one setting which I also work at. I'm looking into a hand therapy or SNF right now to be a more rounded applicant rather than having all my hours in peds. Also, why did you rush into applying the first time around?

My personal statement is in it's final stages and is with my uncle who is an English Major so hopefully it will be a strong one. Did you mention an actual patient that you observed? Or did you write about the experiences generally.

Members don't see this ad :)
You stats are amazing compared to mine..

Were these the stats the you had when you were rejected previously? Or did you spend the year strengthening your stats.

I'm expecting great LOR and volunteer forms but I only have one setting which I also work at. I'm looking into a hand therapy or SNF right now to be a more rounded applicant rather than having all my hours in peds. Also, why did you rush into applying the first time around?

My personal statement is in it's final stages and is with my uncle who is an English Major so hopefully it will be a strong one. Did you mention an actual patient that you observed? Or did you write about the experiences generally.

I had most of these stats applying the first time around. Everything except for the LOR from the director and the year long job with autistic children on my resume. I was flat out rejected...not waitlisted or anything the first time. So that makes me think perhaps LOR and personal statement really matter.

People have told me they got in with doing just one setting for volunteering. I would not stress out too much about that part.

In my personal statement, I did not talk about my OT shadowing much, except to write 1-2 sentences on what I learned from the general experience. What I did talk about was my time as an independent living instructor for two elderly ladies with profound disabilities, and I did name them (with " "). I thought would give it a personal, humanizing touch :)

@skyocean25 thanks a bunch for your insight. I've been freaking out and I'm feeling unprepared in general to get everything turned in by oct. 1; I'm hoping that I can turn in everything for both SJSU and USC by Nov. 30 (which is early decision deadline for USC).

@skyocean25 thanks a bunch for your insight. I've been freaking out and I'm feeling unprepared in general to get everything turned in by oct. 1; I'm hoping that I can turn in everything for both SJSU and USC by Nov. 30 (which is early decision deadline for USC).

In my opinion, focus on writing an authentic, clear personal statement for sjsu. Even if it means turning it in somewhat past Nov 30, so be it. From my experience and just reading the forum over the years, people turn it in past Nov 30 and still get in :) Hopefully this can be one less small stress on top of an already stressful process!

In my opinion, focus on writing an authentic, clear personal statement for sjsu. Even if it means turning it in somewhat past Nov 30, so be it. From my experience and just reading the forum over the years, people turn it in past Nov 30 and still get in :) Hopefully this can be one less small stress on top of an already stressful process!

I believe the admissions committee uses the personal statement to gauge an applicant's writing ability, specifically if they can articulate their thoughts and ideas in a clear, flowing, and concise manner... among other things. Writing skill is critical when you enter the workforce as documentation is how we justify the need for our skilled services. I applied a few years ago, submitted my application the last week of January and got accepted on 2/10, my cohort size was 36. Unless things have changed, the admissions committee will hold out for exceptional applications until the very end if they have not received 80 exceptional applications, and then start offering the remaining seats to those applicants who meet the requirements, at least this is what I heard while I was in the program. They already have an idea of what an ideal accepted applicant will look like and they know that they may receive well rounded applicants later in the cycle too. They may also fill the cohort before the deadline too, we just never know. These days I would not risk submitting an application so late in the cycle because they may just fill the class up before they review yours.

I'm applying for OT schools this fall for Fall 2015. I am hoping to submit my application for SJSU on November 1st.
I was a little confused about their requirement for the volunteer form and the LORs. I saw that the volunteer form cannot be filled out by the same people that write your LORs.

So do we submit a volunteer form for each place we have volunteered at? For me I have volunteered 70 hours at Shriners Hospital for OT, 20 hours in private practice OT, 50 hours at a elementary school. However, I wanted to get a letter of rec from my OT at Shriners and from the person at the elementary school (and a professor). So should I just get someone else (like their bosses) to fill out the volunteer form or should I not be getting letter of recs from people at the same place? Hopefully someone can help me figure out what is best! Thank you!

Contact sjsu OT department directly about this just so you get accurate information. They typically get back to you quickly.

I'm applying for OT schools this fall for Fall 2015. I am hoping to submit my application for SJSU on November 1st.
I was a little confused about their requirement for the volunteer form and the LORs. I saw that the volunteer form cannot be filled out by the same people that write your LORs.

So do we submit a volunteer form for each place we have volunteered at? For me I have volunteered 70 hours at Shriners Hospital for OT, 20 hours in private practice OT, 50 hours at a elementary school. However, I wanted to get a letter of rec from my OT at Shriners and from the person at the elementary school (and a professor). So should I just get someone else (like their bosses) to fill out the volunteer form or should I not be getting letter of recs from people at the same place? Hopefully someone can help me figure out what is best! Thank you![/QUOTE

Yes, the OT filling out the volunteer forms must be different from the person writing your letter of recommendation.

So do we submit a volunteer form for each place we have volunteered at? For me I have volunteered 70 hours at Shriners Hospital for OT, 20 hours in private practice OT, 50 hours at a elementary school. However, I wanted to get a letter of rec from my OT at Shriners and from the person at the elementary school (and a professor). So should I just get someone else (like their bosses) to fill out the volunteer form or should I not be getting letter of recs from people at the same place? Hopefully someone can help me figure out what is best! Thank you!

Yes they must be different people so I would strategize who you have fill out the volunteer forms if you want LOR from one of your supervisors. Also, I'm pretty sure they require that you volunteer at least 30 hours at a site in order to use the hours so I would double check that requirement. BTW I also volunteered at Shriners for my hours, such a great department!!

Did they contact you saying that they received everything? And by everything I mean, OTCAS app and the submission of forms to the department?

They didn't contact me, but at the end of September they said they were looking over my app and were missing something that I emailed to them.

Oh I see. I'm a Undegrad student from SJSU so I already know that they're not as strong administrative wise. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Quick question: Do you guys know what is asked on the letter of rec form on otcas? Is it simply a blank page where our letter of rec writer can cut and paste a letter of rec or are there certain questions they need to answer?

Hi! There are certain questions they need to answer and there is a section where they can write more about you. If you look on OTCAS the questions asked are provided for you to see.

For your second question, I'm not too sure about what they will prefer but, I have volunteer forms filled out from each setting. As long as the person writing the volunteer forms isn't the same person writing the LOR you should be fine.

Hi, for those of you who applied for Fall 2015, have you guys heard back yet?

Nope, I'm still waiting to hear from them, and I applied early October.

Hello everyone! I received a letter from SJSU on 12/22/14. It said that I was conditionally accepted--meaning that I'm in the program once I complete neuroanatomy, which I will take during summer 2015 at SJSU. Of course, I have to get a B or better in that class and I have to submit my final grade to SJSU and OTCAS once it's done. When I got my letter, I immediately emailed the MOT chair and officially reserved a seat in the program! So be on the lookout for those letters guys! Good luck and hope to see you in fall 2015!

Hello everyone! I received a letter from SJSU on 12/22/14. It said that I was conditionally accepted--meaning that I'm in the program once I complete neuroanatomy, which I will take during summer 2015 at SJSU. Of course, I have to get a B or better in that class and I have to submit my final grade to SJSU and OTCAS once it's done. When I got my letter, I immediately emailed the MOT chair and officially reserved a seat in the program! So be on the lookout for those letters guys! Good luck and hope to see you in fall 2015!
Great to hear, let us know if you got any questions about the program and welcome to SJSU! :soexcited:

Great to hear, let us know if you got any questions about the program and welcome to SJSU! :soexcited:

Thank you so much! It was pure torture playing the waiting game, but it paid off! :rofl:<-- literally my reaction when I got my letter, and of course the dancing haha!

Thank you so much! It was pure torture playing the waiting game, but it paid off! :rofl:<-- literally my reaction when I got my letter, and of course the dancing haha!

Is this your first year applying? I'm dying over here!

Is this your first year applying? I'm dying over here!

Yep, this is my first time applying. I was so stoked when I got my letter that I cried haha. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll hear from them soon. If you applied when the window first opened and everything was okay, you should be hearing from them soon. That was what I was told anyways back when I visited them early last month. Good luck!

@piper510 Congrats on your acceptance! May I ask what you stats are?

Thanks! Here were my stats when I applied:

Undergrad University: SJSU
Major/minor: Health Science/Child and Adolescent Development
OTCAS GPA: 3.42
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.57
GRE/MAT: GRE- 144 quantitative, 151 verbal, 5.0 analytical writing/MAT- 410
Observation hours: 300+ hours in specialized peds clinic; 40+ hours in peds/adult clinic
Extra: volunteer for a kids' program at a transitional housing shelter
Reference letters: 4 total (2 OT's and 2 professors)

I turned in my application (in person and in OTCAS) on October 1st. For GAPE, my application was cleared about a week after the 1st and then referred to the grad dept. Then my OTCAS application was verified on October 23rd. I finally received my letter on December 22nd, which said I was conditionally accepted.

At first I was worried because I didn't think my GPA and test score would make me a competitive candidate, so then I focused a lot of my time accumulating hours, getting good letters, and writing a strong essay. I think those made me a well-rounded candidate, and I heard SJSU is pretty holistic when it comes to choosing applicants!

Thanks again and good luck to you! Hope to see you in the fall! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your reply @piper510! I know this may seem irrelevant to applying but, how long did it take before SJSU updated MySJSU to say that your degree was completed? Lol, I graduated in December and it still says that I need to finish pending work..

Thanks for your reply @piper510! I know this may seem irrelevant to applying but, how long did it take before SJSU updated MySJSU to say that your degree was completed? Lol, I graduated in December and it still says that I need to finish pending work..

Hi! Honestly, I don't remember. I would say it took me... 3 months max to get my degree in the mail, so I think that at least when you get your degree, there should be changes made. Look up your unofficial transcript on mySJSU because on there, it will post your awarded degree, when you graduated, etc. I think that's how they let you know that you're pretty much official. I had no idea about the changes to the transcript until I had to send them to OTCAS and what not, which was about a year later haha. If anything, call them and ask! They're actually really nice!

Just received my conditional acceptance via email, going to SJSU this fall!

Congrats to the acceptances! For the folks who have been accepted, what was the deadline given to accept? Might give people who are waitlisted an idea of when they could expect at earliest to hear back.

I got a personal e-mail today saying that while I had an excellent application, it was just submitted too late (mid/late-November) to be competitive for this year's class. I'm on the wait list, but not in a position to expect to gain entry to the 2015 cohort. They suggested that I could apply for the next year at the beginning of October, and that I would have an excellent chance for acceptance if I did.

I feel very grateful that I was accepted at my first-choice school, Samuel Merritt, and that I'll be attending there in the fall. But if you're applying for next year's class, my advice is to apply as early as possible! :)