motels, hotels, and other cheap accommodations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdub

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

i wanted to know if anybody knows of any accommodations that might have special deals for multiple uses, i am thinking of something like frequent flier miles.

or even better, does anybody have an idea where to find discounts for accommodations, like a certain credit card or club?

i had a few interviews last year, and this year i plan to get quite a few more ;)
and i would not mind being able to find a place and stick with it, like the holiday inn, or something like that, so i could know what to expect and save as much money as possible, that stuff is expensive. :(

also, i have not stayed with a med student, do most schools offer that? is it interesting or uncomfortable? the cheaper the better, that is of course, making sure that i can relax and be ready for an interview?

any ideas for good-and-cheap-accommodations-for-interviews would be cool. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I know that I'm going to be begging to stay with med students. If the schools dont offer any type of student host programs, guess I'll just have to cold call or email people and ask.

AMSA has a list of airlines and hotels and rental cars that offer a discount to their memebers for use during interviewing. I am a pre-med member. It is a lifetime payment of $~50 and you get the New Physican ever month. It is a great magazine. www.amsa.org/premed/

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've never tried priceline.com, I suggest you try--I've got incredible deals.

Hilton hotel, rack rate $249...called and negotiated the best deal I could (got it down to $119), but then got it on priceline a few minutes later for $40. Even the Motel 6 here in Silicon Valley costs over $60/night. Amazing.

Youth Hostels are in about every city, a single private room is generally really cheap, albeit nothing spectacular! You can get a book that lists all of the hostels in the us and abroad from Hosteling international. I stayed in a NYC hostel once which was decent for about $25/night. I had to share a bathroom, but had a private room with a sink. Also the room rate included breakfast! Not bad, considering that the hotel rates I was looking at were ~ 150-200

Just a thought!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hey i'd recommend staying with another med student whenever possible like baylor21 was saying. not only will it save you money but it'll also give you the opportunity to ask your host some questions about the school and the city