Motivation KICK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddmbmom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read many of the posts on times when people need a little kick to keep going. I've even responded to some of the posts asking for motivation, at times when I felt I could help that person who took the time to write in, to give her/him a boost. Today, I need some. I am a registered dietitian specializing in medical weight loss and diabetes management and a personal trainer. Ive been doing this for many years. Some life changes prompted me to go back to my initial dream from undergrad, to become an MD. At the time I should have done this (post undergrad) I chose to follow my fiancee now spouse x 23 years in his NHL career in Canada. Long story short. I am running low. I am so close to this yet all of a sudden my drive is hanging on empty. People pay me to motivate, influence, change their behaviors. Convincing takes energy. Its exhausting. These past 5 years I have finally completed the 4 remaining pre-reqs plus a repeat of a few sciences to refresh myself for this MCAT beast. I was going to do PA school but the school in my state requires a MD preceptor who must volunteer 2000 hours to provide the student with a clinical experience and I was unsuccessful in getting an MD to do this for me. In my town, all the MDs are signed on to be NP preceptors, and that only requires 6 weeks of their time, so why on earth would they want to give a student 2000 hours, is what they told me. So after getting that rejection and digging deeper, I refocused my efforts on MD. So I have an online MCAT review course to tap into. I've registered for the MCAT which is 79 days away. It seems as though I've got every resource needed except some actual self discipline. What the heck is going on? Why would I give up now? I've done 25 Ironman competitions and have easily followed 6 month training programs that required 2-4 hour workouts in a day around full time work and young children. Other than work of 4-6 hours a day, the only upcoming scheduling interferences are working at 2 hockey camps (dryland training and sports nutrition workshops) and one hockey tournament (13 year old son) which will take 4 full time days out of my schedule. That's it. I've written out a calendar so I know what needs to be covered in studying and which days to take practice tests and which hours of the day to dedicate to studying around my work schedule. So, I'm asking someone out there, can you just shoot me with some inspiration? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Your problem could stem from anxiety (fear of failure), being fatigued (from working full-time) or something existential (do I really need this career now?) Motivation can dove tail if you think you don't have what it takes (self-esteem problem), or if you are unsure about something (the long commitment, the career itself, family issues). It's hard to say why with little information. But hopefully you can ask yourself some hard questions. You don't have a discipline problem running 25 ironmans.

Also realize that MCAT studying is the worst part of the process for many people.

What helps me is not fixating on how I lack discipline or motivation. I just accept that I will be tired, I take breaks as I need them, and I bargain with myself (just do one more page and you can go sleep, read a book, go for a walk in the sun shine). The second I start assessing myself and how little I've done or how much I've left to do, I become emotionally exhausted, discouraged and it takes longer to be productive again.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Start doing some patient volunteer work. They're the whole reason this profession exists.

I can attest to the volunteer work being a good motivator. I've been feeling really worn down and unmotivated lately. I volunteered for the first time today in an ER and got to follow some nurses around and see a pediatric trauma victim come in; feeling re-energized toward my goals now. I guess the experience kind of reminded me why I am doing this stuff.

Don't be too hard on yourself! I agree here with @puppyofthesea. Many of my friends in medical school they have told me that the MCAT was the most difficult part. Also, find a way to make the process more enjoyable. (for me a cup of hot tea while studying makes all the difference) Also it helps to make small goals and that you can complete in a day while make you feel accomplished rather than discouraged. Just keep going, you got this!

Don't be too hard on yourself! I agree here with @puppyofthesea. Many of my friends in medical school they have told me that the MCAT was the most difficult part. Also, find a way to make the process more enjoyable. (for me a cup of hot tea while studying makes all the difference) Also it helps to make small goals and that you can complete in a day while make you feel accomplished rather than discouraged. Just keep going, you got this!

That reminds me, when I have a really ****ty day I like to remember that Lincoln quote "The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time."