Mount Auburn......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mockturtle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know what sort of reputation Mount Auburn Hosp, Cambridge has? It is one of the Harvard-affiliates I know, but does that really carry any sort of standing? It obviously isn't one of the main ones after all.....Help! Can't make up my mind about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed there and I know Massachusetts very well.

Pros:
1. Harvard affiliated (and full access to all Harvard facilities)
2. Fabulous location with gorgeous view of Charles River
3. Solid Bread and Butter Medicine
4. People seemed friendly enough.
5. Some Residents have obtained Fellowships in the Longwood Medical Area in the past (not a striking number, but impressive enough for a Community Hospital).

CONS:
1. Not a procedure-heavy Residency
2. BOSTON/Cambridge = EXPENSIVE
3. Despite what they tell you @ the Interview, the complex cases get shipped off to downtown Boston.

Overall, my gut feeling after walking out of the place was, "I'm not going to rank this program." If you're looking for a Community Hospital in Boston, go for St. Elizabeths (Tufts). St. Elizabeths is more academic, and the Program Director is simply phenomenal.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I only just saw your reply this minute, anyway sort of felt along the same lines that you did. oh btw, good luck with the match!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am having a difficult time deciding how to rank this program because it does have many pros and cons. There is a tremendous amount of elective time, 9 months over the 3 years, which not only means a greater ability to develop your interests in a particular area, but also more free time for studying and other interests, one of the reviewers on scutwork mentioned he was getting training as an acupuncturist and another was working on writing book, and a greater opportunity to do international rotations, which I am very interested in. It would not be as intense as the downtown Harvard programs, but it is fairly easy to set up rotations to do there, so you can get the best of both worlds. There is access to all of the Harvard libraries, which would be very nice as I am an avid reader. Drawbacks are that it doesn't seem to be a very volume-intensive program, so although the residents said that they learned a lot, I just question whether I would get as good training as a university program even though I can do many rotations at other hospitals. The ER was empty on the day that I interviewed. Patient population is not as diverse as other places and possibly they will have less complex cases since there are so many other Boston programs to get those, although they had an interesting list of diagnoses made at their hospital. Fellowship matching seems to be lacking.

What other opinions do people have from interview day?

The ER was empty on the day that I interviewed. Patient population is not as diverse as other places and possibly they will have less complex cases since there are so many other Boston programs to get those, although they had an interesting list of diagnoses made at their hospital. Fellowship matching seems to be lacking.

What other opinions do people have from interview day?

I interviewed here and then revisited as well. I like the program enough, the people are very friendly, and from what I saw on my second visit, the residents get along great and the environment is very cooperative and non-malignant. However, the team I was rounding with had like 8 patients that day, covered by 2 interns. Pretty cush, if I had to base my opinion on that one day. The didactic sessions I attended that day were good, going over ABIM questions with senior residents and going over interesting cases on the floors with the interns and a hospitalist.

Fellowship matching doesn't seem too terribly strong, I noticed that a lot of people were going into primary care/hospitalist track positions. One planning on fellowship was doing a chief year first.

Overall, I think I would do well there and be happy there, but part of me gets this weird feeling from them... like they're in this bubble and think they're the tried and true "Harvard", but in reality some of their cases REALLY need to go to a Harvard University hospital for treatment? I'm not sure if I can explain it well, but that's the vibe I got...

Overall, I think I would do well there and be happy there, but part of me gets this weird feeling from them... like they're in this bubble and think they're the tried and true "Harvard", but in reality some of their cases REALLY need to go to a Harvard University hospital for treatment? I'm not sure if I can explain it well, but that's the vibe I got...

You're saying some of their cases need to get sent other places? Because of incompetence, needing a certain procedure done, or what? Definitely I also got the feeling that it would be more cush than other places, but I was happy to hear one of the interns say that her intern year was difficult, just because it makes me feel that there is at least a baseline of learning there. Do you know if its easy to do multiple rotations at the other Harvard hospitals and how is the critical care at Mount Auburn? I heard there was some change in the system with attendings taking over more of the treatment of critical care patients?

From what I gather, patients get transferred out for procedures they need that cannot be done at Mount Auburn. I'm not sure exactly what these entail, maybe open heart and transplant, because they have a really nice cath lab and I believe they can do interventional cardio. I'm not too sure about the ICU patients and their management being overtaken by attendings, the residents themselves would be good to ask.

One thing I did like from my visit there, despite the vibe I got overall, was that the residents were very honest and open about their program. They didn't sugar-coat things but had a great deal of pride in the program. So if you can contact their chief resident and maybe speak to someone you met on interview day, they can probably give you a better answer.