Mount Sinai Hospital vs New York Presbyterian Hospital as a Pharmacy Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slayex

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

About 5 months ago, I applied to NYP Hospital (Cornell) and after being interviewed, I unfortunately didn't get accepted. Needless to say, I was very disappointed since NYP was my first preference for working at a hospital as a Pharmacy Intern. So last month I applied to Mount Sinai Hospital (my second preference). I also realized after having my interviews with Mt. Sinai that NYP opened up one more spot, so I applied to them again. Yesterday, I got a call telling me I got accepted to Mt. Sinai. I also received an email from NYP scheduling me for an interview after 2 weeks from today. A friend had told me that if I accept or start training at Mt. Sinai, then I'll look horrible if I were to change my mind and leaving (if I got into NYP and switch there instead). So I'm not sure what to do. Should I stick with Mt. Sinai, or try my chances with NYP and if I make it I switch there instead? Is it worth it?

Pros of NYP: Higher pay, someone told me there is a higher chance of them hiring you after graduation there, and more institutional prestige.

Pros of Mt. Sinai: Scheduling is better for a pharmacy student who's about to start P2, since you work every other week on weekends. For NYP, it's every week and you work an evening weekday and a weekend day.

Commute is pretty much the same to both sites from where I live.

Would appreciate advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Go with Mt.Sinai, you already have that position locked up.

I've heard horror stories from people who were pharmacy interns for NYP.

Apparently, they HAVE to work a weeknight (overnight) which makes no sense for a pharmacy student who would either have classes in the morning or rotations in the morning.

Reactions: 1 user
Go with Mt.Sinai, you already have that position locked up.

I've heard horror stories from people who were pharmacy interns for NYP.

Apparently, they HAVE to work a weeknight (overnight) which makes no sense for a pharmacy student who would either have classes in the morning or rotations in the morning.

Thanks for the reply!

The overnight is actually for their "Part Time" positions. That's where the Intern has to work overnight shifts on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (which I agree is horrible). The position that is being offered is the "Per Diem" shift which is 2 days a week, a weekday and a weekend day, the weekday is an evening shift and the weekend shift is usually morning or evening.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply!

The overnight is actually for their "Part Time" positions. That's where the Intern has to work overnight shifts on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (which I agree is horrible). The position that is being offered is the "Per Diem" shift which is 2 days a week, a weekday and a weekend day, the weekday is an evening shift and the weekend shift is usually morning or evening.

I would check out some SDN threads on NYP. If I remember correctly, there is a thread about pharmacy residency there, and many individuals spoke poorly of the pharmacy department. Sure, you wouldn't be a resident, but with so many bad comments about individuals there and the general culture, I would be a bit hesitant.

Let us know what you decide to do. Congrats on the job offer and the interview offer!

I would check out some SDN threads on NYP. If I remember correctly, there is a thread about pharmacy residency there, and many individuals spoke poorly of the pharmacy department. Sure, you wouldn't be a resident, but with so many bad comments about individuals there and the general culture, I would be a bit hesitant.

Let us know what you decide to do. Congrats on the job offer and the interview offer!

Yeah, the residency director at NYP is a total bitch. The amount of work and pressure put on pharmacy residents there is ridiculous compared to pharmacy residents at Montefiore and NSLIJ.

Now, if you can get a position at NYP Columbia as a staff pharmacist, you're all set. That's a union operation.

NYP Cornell, nope.

I actually was one person who did my rotations at NYP for 7 months during pharmacy school. I hated every minute of it for the clinical part. HOWEVER, I will tell you this, during the hospital staffing rotation, I loved it. NYP is an absolutely wonderful hospital to work for as an intern or as a staff pharmacist, whether you are at Cornell or Columbia. They are both great and have great directors and great people. What I hated about NYP was the fact that when I saw the "clinical" side of pharmacy, I just couldn't stand it. I'm not the type of person who wants to be called "doctor" and act like I am better than everyone else. Sure, the clinical pharmacists are super smart there, and they do great research and help a lot of sick people, but there is just something about them, like they act like they are better than you, which I can't stand. Also, the residents who did a residency at NYP hated it. I felt bad for one kid who did the entire year of residency and at the end of the year NYP decided not to let him "pass" and did not award him a certificate. That's f'cked up.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was hoping I would get some comments about Mount Sinai as well. But I have decided, I'll stick with Mount Sinai. Mount Sinai wants to know my decision by tomorrow morning. They can't wait for another two weeks, which is when my NYP interview was scheduled. So unless I get a call from NYP tomorrow morning telling me I got a position with no interview (which won't happen of course) it'll be too risky. I might end up having no hospital job if I play it risky, because NYP can easily refuse me if I do go on the interview and don't respond to Mount Sinai. So I'll play it safe and accept the lower pay and less "institutional prestige".

Something that worries me though is that I heard that there is a much higher chance of being hired at NYP after graduation if you're an intern there, than at Mount Sinai. If that's the case, I know that NYP will most likely take in house over those who interned at other hospitals. This is the main thing that worries me at this point.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was hoping I would get some comments about Mount Sinai as well. But I have decided, I'll stick with Mount Sinai. Mount Sinai wants to know my decision by tomorrow morning. They can't wait for another two weeks, which is when my NYP interview was scheduled. So unless I get a call from NYP tomorrow morning telling me I got a position with no interview (which won't happen of course) it'll be too risky. I might end up having no hospital job if I play it risky, because NYP can easily refuse me if I do go on the interview and don't respond to Mount Sinai. So I'll play it safe and accept the lower pay and less "institutional prestige".

Something that worries me though is that I heard that there is a much higher chance of being hired at NYP after graduation if you're an intern there, than at Mount Sinai. If that's the case, I know that NYP will most likely take in house over those who interned at other hospitals. This is the main thing that worries me at this point.

Institutional Prestige? You know Mt. Sinai has been expanding right?

Institutional Prestige? You know Mt. Sinai has been expanding right?

Yes I do. But I didn't mean to say it in the sense of implying that Mt. Sinai isn't prestige. More in the sense of comparing Harvard with UPenn in the college admission process. NYP is ranked 7th, and Mount Sinai is ranked 14th if I'm not mistaken. So both are prestigious institutions to work for, but one is higher than the other.

Yes I do. But I didn't mean to say it in the sense of implying that Mt. Sinai isn't prestige. More in the sense of comparing Harvard with UPenn in the college admission process. NYP is ranked 7th, and Mount Sinai is ranked 14th if I'm not mistaken. So both are prestigious institutions to work for, but one is higher than the other.

Those rankings aren't based on employee satisfaction.

I have an interview coming up with NYP hospital. Do you have any tips/advice on how should prepare for it? I am really nervous.
thanks