Mount Sinai School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information or insights on Mt. Sinai? I'm trying to decide between this and another program for interview. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump for any recent perspectives on the program. Improved since NYEEI acquisition? I'm considering an away here and just wanted to know where the program stands. Thanks.

This is an underrated program and one of my personal favorites. The surgical numbers are good at about 180+ cataracts, solid plastics numbers, though lower on the peds side. I think they have the best numbers in NYC overall (certainly the only program in NY I've seen post their numbers). The real advantage of Sinai over the other NYC programs is the hospitals they get to go to, which includes Mt. Sinai in the upper east side, the Bronx VA, and Elmhurst. Elmhurst is a real plus for them. It's located in Queens and very much a classic NY city hospital where they see all kinds of pathology with super diverse patients. They also rotate with the group at MSKCC for ocular oncology. The chair is James Tsai, who is also chair at NYEEI, and he spoke briefly to the applicants. Under his leadership the program seems to be rapidly growing. They are increasing collaboration between Sinai and NYEEI, which should benefit both programs. He said that there is no intention to combine programs. I really liked the PD and the residents-all very personable. Their match list is very good and geographically varied (Sinai, Wills, San Diego, Yale, Bascom last couple years), which didn't seem common in the Northeast. They offer subsidized housing, which is actually pretty nice, and is located only a few blocks from Central Park near the hospital. They also pay for your taxi for off-hours consults at the VA or Elmhurst. Overall, a very solid program with nice people, good training, and good location (if you like big cities).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Overall I was very impressed by this program and I'd be interested in hearing some other peoples opinions about it.

As mentioned above they have solid surgical numbers (~190 cataracts, ~20 retina/vitreous, handful of globes), especially compared to the other programs in NYC. The fellowship match seems excellent with all the big names accounted for in recent years. The housing is expensive, even subsidized, but spacious and right by central park and the main hospital. Call is split between the 1st and 2nd years and there is somewhat of a commute between the sites (there is a free shuttle and taxis/uber are reimbursed). The residents seemed close knit, sociable and happy.

Anyone have insight into why this program seems to fly under the radar? I didn't see any major red flags.