Mount Sinai vs. FIU (Full Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djamzdaddy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just admitted to Florida International University (FIU) with 100% scholarship and have also been admitted to Mount Sinai for medical school. I am from Miami, FL and ultimately plan to practice in Miami once I have completed my residency. As you know Mount Sinai is a highly ranked school, but the idea of going to FIU for free and not incurring all that debt from the loans I would need to get at Mount Sinai is enticing. Please advise as to your opinions on this situation. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the full ride. You're planning on practicing in Florida anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Going to school in Florida, and incurring NO debt? Sounds like a dream.

It only covers tuition, but I will not have to find a place to live, as I will just live with my family in Miami during medical school if I decide to go to FIU.

If you want to be in Florida in the end and u have a full scholarship, this is a no brainer. Go to FIU and not regret anything. That is a dream come true.

Reactions: 1 user
NO DEBT!!!!!

This isn't law school and going to a higher ranked school won't impact your chances at the residency you want or your life down the road the way having a couple hundred K in loans can. Either way you're going to med school.

Plus if you want to go to a residency in FL anyway, FIU probably has better FL connections than Mt Sinai does anyway. SDN is the only place where people care about where a med school in ranked. Do NOT take on a ton of debt just for that extra self-satisfaction (and potentially a marginally better 4 year experience)

I was just admitted to Florida International University (FIU) with 100% scholarship and have also been admitted to Mount Sinai for medical school. I am from Miami, FL and ultimately plan to practice in Miami once I have completed my residency. As you know Mount Sinai is a highly ranked school, but the idea of going to FIU for free and not incurring all that debt from the loans I would need to get at Mount Sinai is enticing. Please advise as to your opinions on this situation. Thank you.

You plan on staying in FL? Then take the scholarship and laugh all the way to the bank.

Is Mt Sinai giving you anything? I don't know anything about Florida, but I'm familiar with Sinai. And I've met a few med students and residents that have come here to NYC with initial plans to return home, but have changed their mind. Some stayed in NYC, while others went elsewhere (although not back to their home state). The Sinai students and residents I've met have given nothing but excellent feedback about the school. On the other hand, if you don't feel much of a pull to NYC, then stay in Fl.
And congrats on the acceptances!

Go to Florida! You have your family and friends, impeccable weather and lifestyle, and free med school at a location you want to practice.

I like Mt. Sinai I really do, but to be in FL on a full ride. Factor the tuition + living expenses @ ~8% interest = the mortgage of your first house