Moved to USA from England

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arsenaldoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just moved to Chicago on Sunday and I am very interested in pursuing a career in Dentistry and it would be grateful if you could help me with dental school. I have been lurking around the forum for some time now and understand the requirements for dental school. However, I am not sure whether to attend a community college or a four year college e.g. UIC.

I have done my A-Levels in the England, which from looking at the curriculum for prerequisites are very similar to what I have learnt. I am looking to complete a bachelors degree, however, I do not know where to start really. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For dental school, it is highly advantageous to apply with a degree from a 4 year college over community college. Community colleges in general don't offer bachelors degrees so I would start at looking at different 4 year colleges/universities but community colleges do help you to transfer into a 4 year after 2 years usually.

If you're looking to start school as soon as possible and get some electives out of the way, you should see if you can enroll in an upcoming term for a community college and work from there to transfer.

It will generally take you 4 years to complete a Bachelor's degree in the US. It is totally fine to do 2 years at a community college and then last two years at a university. In fact that is what probably a majority of students in California do, since their universities are so competitive. You can generally start at any term (Fall, Spring, or Summer) and choose any major as long as you complete all science prerequisites (but it is more convenient to major in something like Biology). You will figure things out pretty quickly after you start. I do want to say that Dentistry is not exactly the best career out there (you can read more on that in other threads).

So basically look at what university you would like to attend, and then apply through their website (you'd probably need to take SAT before that too). If you need to save money/establish in-state residency, apply to the community college associated with the university where you'd eventually want to transfer to). Universities are not necessarily always more expensive, as it would depend on the financial aid package they offer. So it makes sense to apply to multiple ones. It does not matter which one you attend, as far as your chances of getting into a dental school go.

Last edited: