Movie Discussion: Pixar's Inside Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitlnoize

Rock God
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see who had seen it, and what you all thought.

I thought it was pure genius. A real cultural breakthrough and what I hope will be a turning point for mental illness stigma. Hopefully this new generation, who lovingly recall this movie from their childhood, will be more emotionally intelligent than their parents...

I loved the early depiction of Joy as almost an overzealous CBT therapist: "Make a list of everything that could possibly go wrong at school today", etc.

I loved the depiction of depression symptoms. Not "sadness", but true depression, as the absence of emotion. Riley began to have sleep disturbances, anhedonia (such as when she lost interest in sliding down the stair rails), concentration difficulty (having trouble focusing on tasks like hockey), and especially the irritability you often see in depressed children.

I loved the "moral"; that sadness is necessary and useful. That a healthy person can consolidate all their emotions. That memories can share multiple emotions simultaneously.

It was subtle, but I loved how the depicted different "primary" emotions in different people. Riley's "core emotion" was Joy. Her mother's was Sadness. Her father's was Anger. You could see how, as Riley became more depressed in the absence of Joy, she tried on other emotions in the "leadership role" and eventually nearly settled on Anger in the driver's seat. The popular girl in the credits sequence was driven by fear. The snobby pizza girl was Disgust. The bus driver was Anger. Very nice.

Overall, the way they managed to portray all this, in a manner that almost anyone from ages 5 to 95 can understand, in an entertaining and heartwarming story, was absolutely brilliant, and marks it as one of my favorite movies of all time. And for our field, one of the most important.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I was thinking of taking my son to watch it one of these days. It would be his first movie. He is only 2.5 yrs old. Yay feelings. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't seen it, but this review piques my curiosity. My favorite Pixar movie was Ratatouille, and I'm not as big into the rest of them as other people (I honestly am amazed that children have such attention spans that they can sit through Pixar films—although I don't know how I sat through a lot of the things I did as a kid). But I'll check this one out.

I loved this movie!!! I took my 2 year old daughter to see this movie and she basically made it through the whole movie save for the last like 5-10 minutes :) It was such a great movie that both my hubby and I enjoyed along with my kid. Highly recommend everyone to go see it!

My son loved it. Milk through the nose a couple times. Always a good thing. :)

It was great, I loved the creativity of the whole approach. It was the kind of movie where afterwards you think "this was such a great idea, why hasn't it been done already?"

Everybody go see this movie, again and again and again.
Why?

Cause my brother worked on it. He's an artist at Disney

Give him mad props for me. Seriously, it was great, great work.

Brilliant movie, the bit with the cats at the end had me in stitches (also liked the slipped in reference to 'bears' in San Francisco, nicely played), and the over arching theme of different emotions being necessary and integral for growth, even emotions that might seem in opposition, was a stroke of genius. I have a feeling this film will become a true generational classic.

Having said that, let's just say that watching the film as a mental health patient, with a history of childhood trauma, was interesting to say the least. I did have to keep reminding myself every so often that this was a Pixar movie, and Pixar movies aren't really meant to traumatise their child audience with tales of 'let's see how messed up a childhood can get'.

Reactions: 2 users

People keep saying this. I remember Herman's head, and aside from the obvious "characters in someone's head" trope (which has been done MANY times before...remember the devil and angel on the cartoon characters' shoulders?), it really didn't have anything in common with the themes or message conveyed by Inside Out.

The cat bit was great. As was the teenage boy. And the bus driver. In fact, they nailed the end. They were all great.

Members don't see this ad :)
me too! the cat bit was one of my favorites!

My husband and I used to have 5 cats at one time (all sadly now passed on), and that scene reminded me so much of their different personalities. :joyful:

Loved the concept, I think it would have been better if the resolution of the movie lasted longer instead of only a couple quick scenes, I walked out of there feeling down because I hadn't recovered from the emotional inertia of the prior hour's death spiral. I'm not particularly artistic so this could very well have been the creators intention, but I was hoping to leave with a more hopeful overall feeling

Also very much looking forward to the inevitable sequel

Adolescent patients of mine have been responding to this movie in very positive manner. From Digitnoize's synopsis, I can see why. Will have to put this on the must-see list. I could probably turn in the receipts as an educational expense. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Some of my thoughts whilst watching this movie...

Oh great, Riley's adorable, her parent's love her, and her childhood is filled with sunshine and frickin' rainbows. Whoop de doo dah day. :rolleyes:

So we've got friendship island, and family island, and yeah okay I like goofball island, but where are all the trauma related islands, her mind is so damn happy. o_O (okay, okay, this is a Disney Pixar film, it's aimed at children, let's just try and keep that in mind).

Ooh, hang on, they're moving to a new city and it looks like this wonderful new adventure is turning into a crushing disappointment, okay now this is getting way more interesting.

Oh for the love of, seriously these are the challenges this child has to face? Boohoo I don't like the new house I have to live in, I have to sleep on a mattress on the floor because the removalist van was late, I'm having trouble making friends at my new school, they sell slices of pizza with broccoli on it. Cry me a river. :rolleyes:

Wow, way to not pick up on your child's feelings of forced happiness, Mum. Okay, now I'm feeling some sympathy, clearly this child is trying to bolster her own parent's happiness by suppressing her own negative feelings, and her Mother is actually encouraging this. Doesn't the child have the right to her own emotional response? Geez, poor little mite.

Okay, that's more like it, kiddo. Sure your situation isn't exactly that bad if we're grading on a curve here, but good on you for no longer giving into your parent's demands that you suppress your own emotional needs for the sake of propping up theirs - so you go girl, rage against that machine! :woot:

Oh-kay, Joy's going to make sure that Riley remembers Bing Bong, her imaginary friend? Wait, is she going to send her into a psychotic episode by mistake? Ooh, now this *is* getting interesting. :corny:

Wait, she's running away? Okay I'm all for the healthy expression of emotions here, but running away? OMFG her life is not.that.bad. :bang:

Ohhhh, wow, she's completely emotionally shut down now, guess to her life *was* that bad in her mind, or maybe she had a predisposition towards clinical depression and even what seemed like minor stresses were enough to push her over the edge. I'm just going to crawl under my desk and feel bad now. :sorry:

Aww, sadness has a purpose after all, happy memories tinged with a touch of poignancy because sadness was the one that created moments of empathy and connection and now Riley is finally able to truly express her emotions about everything and get the sort of parental nurturing she actually needs. Oh eff off I am so not crying, I just having something in my eye *sniffle sniffle...BAAAWWWLLLL* Yeah okay, I'm crying. :rolleyes: :cryi:

And wow, what an amazing film. *thunderous round of applause* :clap:

I loved it. Loved it. I felt like the central theme (it's normal and healthy to have a full range of emotions and you can't force yourself to be happy all the time) was wonderful to see play out. And I was taken aback by it as well, especially when the mom was like "be happy" I thought that was where the movie was going and was prepping myself for disappointment - nope!

My only negative is - do children get it? We are talking about abstract themes here, it's not like there is a villian or "bad guy" narrative like the vast majority of children's films, and a lot of the references were more high brow than I was expecting. Although I pretty much never interact with kids so I could be way off base

Also I was dying over the cat bit at the end.

Reactions: 1 users
I loved it. Loved it. I felt like the central theme (it's normal and healthy to have a full range of emotions and you can't force yourself to be happy all the time) was wonderful to see play out. And I was taken aback by it as well, especially when the mom was like "be happy" I thought that was where the movie was going and was prepping myself for disappointment - nope!

My only negative is - do children get it? We are talking about abstract themes here, it's not like there is a villian or "bad guy" narrative like the vast majority of children's films, and a lot of the references were more high brow than I was expecting. Although I pretty much never interact with kids so I could be way off base

I think children are more cognisant and aware of their emotions and experiences that what we, as adults, might give them credit for (or even remember from when we were children).

I'm also seriously considering using the basis of this film to write an op-ed or blog piece (that may or may not actually get blogged) on how something like BPD can develop when a child experiences a more traumatic up bringing and the effect that can have on things like emotional regulation and core memories.

I work with kids quite a bit and they loved the film and it appears to be helpful to them as they are learning to label and express their emotional states.

I saw this movie with my psychiatry co-intern group. I can't say more than what has already been said. We all loved it!

I know very little about psych but the movie was quite enjoyable.....I did want to send a note to my neurology professor and ask him why we didn't dissect the train of thought in class

Inside Out is a masterpiece. All the actors were perfectly cast, almost every joke hit, the animation was stunning, and the dialogue was smart. The world-building was also extremely impressive. Not since Monsters Inc. has a Pixar film constructed a new, foreign, complex world that was so easy to fall into. I've never cried in a Pixar film before, but this one got me twice the first time, and twice the second in different parts. My only complaint was that it was way too short! Must have more!

Update: So, I got the Fathead Inside Out gigantic wall decals for my office. They're huge and take up a whole wall. Everyone loves them.

Patient #1 (after I hung them up) comes in. 7yo, ADHD/ODD. He looks at them and says, "I saw that movie." The appointment continues and we talk about how he's been doing. About 5-10 minutes he, he spontaneously points at them and says, "I have that one and THAT one" (anger and sadness). Then he says, "I don't have those" (fear, joy, or disgust).

Whoa.

Edit: Also, I present for discussion, the single worst review of any movie I've ever read:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-curse-of-the-pixar-universe

This guy is kinda scary. My favorite quotes:
- "I emerged from the theatre feeling like W. C. Fields, hating children, all children, even my children..."
- "for no particular reason at all, beside the fact that doing dumb or nasty things is sometimes the only way to feel alive."
- "misrepresent the way we form social relationships: through performances and masks that one tries on, as much for oneself as for others."

I'll say it again. Whoa.

Going to spin off a tangential topic, but if anyone has gotten through both seasons of Bojack Horseman (hence my avatar), it's one of the best depictions of the self-destructive behavior that can occur in depression/dysthymia I've seen in the media in a long time.

Once it got past its growing pains early in the first season it may have become Netflix's best series to date as well.

Last edited: