Other OT-Related Information Moving across the country?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cal12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently found out that I was accepted to a program in Chicago.

Super exciting, but I haven't decided whether I will attend or not because I would have to figure out moving from California to Chicago in less than 2 months!!

Has anyone else had to make (or will anyone be making) such a big move in such a short amount of time? I'm afraid I will not have the time to find a place to live/roommates and to get adjusted to such a new setting. Should I do it? Any tips or advice are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would go to the one closer to your home. Will the total cost be lower if you stayed at home instead of going to Rush?

Remember debt.

There are a lot of things to consider. Have you ever moved to another city? Are you breaking your current lease, and what's the penalty? (Or are you a student living at home?) Can you afford the move? Have you figured out cost/financial aid for the summer? If I were you, I would be less worried about getting to Chicago (I think finding housing/roommates is definitely a *thing* but totally doable in the time you have), and more concerned about how much this school and program costs as a whole. Moving is a pain, but moving will always be a pain anytime. If you're organized with getting all your ducks in a row, it should be fine.

I'll be moving later this summer, probably right before my program starts. I've moved cross country once before when I was younger, and it was a big expense and kind of a hassle for me at the time. But starting anew is always kinda worth it, in my opinion. But I was working (sorta not working/underemployed at the time, ha), and not doing school. So it's somewhat different maybe since your OT program will consume most of your energy no matter where you are. So.. lots of stuff to keep in mind.

Edit: If you decide to move to Chicago.. you could probably shoot an email to the other students admitted to the program and see if they're looking for a roommate. Or maybe email Rush and see if they have advice on living arrangements or can pass along your question to other students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I agree with what others have said. Start crunching numbers and making a pro/con list for each school. You'll find your answer. Good luck!