Moving from Australia to USA for few years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SydneyGP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just finished my RACGP training, and my partner is moving to California, USA for a few years (non medical). I would like to continue to work in medicine, but I don't want to re-do the entire residency.

Is there anyway I can convert my Australian medical licence and GP licence into an US one? If not, how can I find internal medicine/family medicine fellowship in California?

Any help or nudge in the right direction will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

https://www.theabfm.org/moc/reciprocityagreements.aspx

just a google. You do need to take your usmles step 1,2 and 3 + an EFCGM ( similar to AMC exams for IMGS coming to australia) to get the the equivalent of general registration in the states. Thereafter sit for their board exams and u are good to go.

Thanks for your quick reply cosycatus, but I was under the impression I still need to have a California licence to practice medicine there? Please let me know if I am misinformed.

Members don't see this ad :)
California is literally the most difficult place to get a medical license and practice in the entire world. You'd be lucky to even get part time casual work

Thanks for your quick reply cosycatus, but I was under the impression I still need to have a California licence to practice medicine there? Please let me know if I am misinformed.

Unfortunately you are correct. In addition to the aforementioned requirements, you'll need 2 years of residency training to be eligible for a California medical license. The USMLEs should not be taken lightly, they require a significant time commitment for revision. This time for residency training varies with state, some require 3 years, some 1 year.

"How much training must I complete before I am eligible for licensure?A US/Can must complete 12 continuous months of training in a single program to be eligible for licensure. Further, a US/Can must be licensed by the end of the 24th month of training. In calculating these months, the Board counts all approved training in the US (ACGME) or Canada (RCPSC), whether or not credit was granted.

An IMG must complete 24 months of training to be eligible for licensure; the final 12 months used towards eligibility must be continuous and in a single program. Further, an IMG must be licensed by the end of the 36th month of training. In calculating these months, the Board counts all approved training in the US (ACGME) or Canada (RCPSC), whether or not credit was granted."

Sorry dude California or any US state is a closed shop without US residency. California is the most difficult of all to get a licence. You can't get a Fellowship either without getting a medical licence in fact you can't touch or see a patient, even shadowing another physician, volunteer free of charge without getting some kind of approval from the Medical Board of California.
Just have to hang out being a beach bum surfing and smoking weed.

Sorry dude California or any US state is a closed shop without US residency.
I don't think that's right, MontereyMD -- California is a pain in the ass, but other states aren't closed to those with an RACGP.

There's people with Harvard MDs and pages full of publications just hoping to get part time work in So. Cal. No one in Los Angeles is going to care about a freaking Australian RACGP.

I don't think that's right, MontereyMD -- California is a pain in the ass, but other states aren't closed to those with an RACGP.

Every state in the US requires postgraduate training in a residency program for an initial US medical license. The extent (or number of years with or without completion of the program) varies with each state. This variation is listed on the FSMB site:

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

California requires a valid medical license from another US state.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, so not necessarily full residency, but 1-3 years. I stand corrected. Kinda like the old Australian requirement of IMGs doing a year of supervision and/or training in order to get full registration before their specialization could be assessed.

Hi
I am in same situation. I am doing my GP training (RACGP) and will be completing in 2017. I am planning to move to San Francisco due to family relocation and want to continue with my practice. I am aware of USMLE steps and how its tough to get residency in States leave alone California. I just happen to come across something called reciprocal program between RACGP and ABFM. Is this something that will help me to avoid the tedious path of USMLE. Will the E3 visa helps anyway in this process. I have almost 10 years experience in Geriatrics medicine within Australian Health System and if possible will not prefer to go USMLE path. Any advice will be appreciated.

Hi
I am in same situation. I am doing my GP training (RACGP) and will be completing in 2017. I am planning to move to San Francisco due to family relocation and want to continue with my practice. I am aware of USMLE steps and how its tough to get residency in States leave alone California. I just happen to come across something called reciprocal program between RACGP and ABFM. Is this something that will help me to avoid the tedious path of USMLE. Will the E3 visa helps anyway in this process. I have almost 10 years experience in Geriatrics medicine within Australian Health System and if possible will not prefer to go USMLE path. Any advice will be appreciated.

Get ready to relearn the specific differences between cystinuria and homocystinuria!

Hi

Bro two separate issues involved: state medical license issued by the state and board certification issued by ABFM or royal college. Sure you may be able to get reciprocal recognition through the ABFM but you still need a state licence. California is strict and you need the USMLE and US residency. On top of that a U.S. Visa E3 can only be obtained if you have a state medical licence and USMLE: Classic catch-22

Hi

Hi, i am wondering if you have any luck finding a job in San Francisco.

USMLE isn't the hard part, the hard part is getting the medical licence.

Hi.I've recently completed AMC part 1.Now I would like to move to US due to family.Could someone please tell me whether I can take part in usmle step2/3? Or I've to start from the beginning?

Which beginning? The US exam requirements have nothing to do with the Australian exam for IMGs -- in other words, taking the AMC does not get you out of any of the USMLE requirements, which are a universal for all* doctors in the US.

* The extremely rare exception is not worth mentioning as it does not apply to us plebes.

Hi, i am wondering if you have any luck finding a job in San Francisco.

USMLE isn't the hard part, the hard part is getting the medical licence.

Curious to know if you have finally managed to get a medical license in Cali after 2 years of FM residency or did you go with another state like Oregon for instance, where you only need one year?