Moving from CA to OH: What do I have to do to my car?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingImpatiently

Long Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten my car yet, and I'm not certain that I'm going to Ohio, but I thought I'd plan ahead.

What do I have to do to my car? I know it snows in Columbus, so tire chains might be necessary. Anything else? How about smog emission regulations and things like that? Anybody else ever make a similar move?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the smog emission thing should not be a problem if you get your car in CA, since CA has the toughest regulations of any other state.

I'm not too familiar with the tire chain though since I'm from Miami, but it is something I will need to know about as well.

umm.... what are tire chains? I don't know anyone who carries those around with them. it really doesn't snow THAT much here. I mean, it snows in the winter, but infrequently. and the roads get salted pretty quick.

Columbus is sort of miserable in the winter. lots of dirty gray/brown slush on the roads and stuck to your car. but you'll be able to get around fine.

and emission standards? that something only a californian would ask about. :)

bring some comfy a** coushins for football games in the shoe!! :) GO BUCKS!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i did the same thing last year: drove my car from cali to ohio

since i have an SUV, i didn't get any new tires or chains -- apparently nobody uses chains out here, though it was a light winter this past year.
i don't think snow tires are necessary. if you were goign to cleveland, perhaps, but the snow in columbus isn't nearly as bad.

and don't worry bout emissions -- cali is the strictest, so our cars will pass anywhere else in the united states =) in any case, i didn't have to get a smog check here when i registered by car

hope this helps

harry

Tire chains?!?! I don't know much about colombus, however have lived in canada, chicago, and soon to be vermont. Everywhere i have lived tire chains are absolutely unnecessary. The only people with tire chains are some of the salt/plow trucks.
That said i will be going to uvm (burlington---small place), and i am unsure about how quickly the streets are cleared/salted....am considering a vechicle with four wheel drive. Up until know my civic coupe has done just fine.

If you're gonna buy your car in Cali and drive it to Ohio, you should make sure to get the underbody coated to protect it from salt in the winter time.

As for the tire chains, there is no reason. In any decent sized city and on all highways the snow is cleared and the road is salted. In fact, using tire chains is illegal in most cities.

Its always funny to hear Cali people (including a lot of my friends from college) talk about cold and snow. I had a friend who canceled all of her residency interviews in colder climates because she heard a TV report about carrying a blanket and other stuff in your car in winter and imagined the worst. Snow in cities is a minor nuisance most of the time and shouldn't affect your driving too much.

What kind of car do you have? I moved from W. Texas to Ohio 3 years ago with a snow-hating Mustang! The best advice I have to you is to load up the trunk, if it's a sporty car or a pick up truck, with rock salt or kitty litter. It helps weigh down the back tires to keep you from skidding out. Also, by November, buy a window scraper with a brush on one end to hack the ice off in the mornings.

When I moved back to the Southwest, I actually threw my scraper in the Ohio River out the window of my car. Sorry for the environmental lapse, but it felt so good to know I would never have to use it again...unless I get into Ohio State for med school!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Whisker Barrel Cortex:
•If you're gonna buy your car in Cali and drive it to Ohio, you should make sure to get the underbody coated to protect it from salt in the winter time.

As for the tire chains, there is no reason. In any decent sized city and on all highways the snow is cleared and the road is salted. In fact, using tire chains is illegal in most cities.

Its always funny to hear Cali people (including a lot of my friends from college) talk about cold and snow. I had a friend who canceled all of her residency interviews in colder climates because she heard a TV report about carrying a blanket and other stuff in your car in winter and imagined the worst. Snow in cities is a minor nuisance most of the time and shouldn't affect your driving too much.•••••Is there anything to do if the car isn't so new? My boyfriend has a 2000 Honda Accord, and is actually considering leaving it here and taking another car cause he's worried about the damage from the salt. Any advice or ideas? :confused:

Thanks everybody! As you can see, I'm only a sheltered CA boy!

Salsadoc, in case you didn't see it in the OSU thread in the Allo forum, I sent you a PM!

chains are only for mountain areas where you have snow and steep roads.

the chains actually will destroy asphalt, so don't use it unless you really need it.

I think they can do undercarriage treatment on cars even if they are used. I'm not sure how it works though. I'll let you know if I find out.

I thought I would chime in here...I don't currently live in Ohio, but I grew up there, and I spent 4 years at Ohio State. I hope this input helps:

1. Snow chains? You Californians crack me up! The only things you need to know about driving in snow is to make sure you COMPLETELY clear your windshield of snow, ice, and condensation; leave a few car-lengths between you and the next car; if you start to spin out, don't panic--turn the steering wheel in the direction your are sliding (it sounds counter-intuitive, but trust me, it works).

2. Watch your speed in Ohio--they love to give tickets, especially to folks with out-of-state plates. So be careful your first few weeks until you get the plates switched over.

3. Most of Ohio has an emissions requirement test called "E-check." However, Franklin County does not have this requirement (Franklin County is where the Columbus--the capital--is located; is this a coincidence that the state representatives also live there? I don't think so.) You will need to go to the license bureau to change your plates. If you have trouble finding one, send me a message. I can give you directions.

4. Columbus has lots of great restaurants, so you should never be wanting for food. In fact, Columbus is one of the most obese cities in the US. It shouldn't take you long to pack on some "insulation."

Enjoy OSU! Go Buckeyes!

Tire chains??? What the ......

Tire chains are illegal in Ohio, however you may drive with studded snow tires between 11/1 and 4/15. I had studded snow tires in Cleveland but have a small car with small tires that doesn't do that well in the snow. It sounds from other posters that snow fall is less of an issue in Columbus.

I think cars sold in snowy places have different tires than those sold in Cali... All these people are laughing about chains, but I think it's because they have special tires that come standard on cars. Right???

Hmm, I had the exact same concern about chains! Okay, now that issue has been cleared, (will be going CA-IL) what about

1. smog check regulations?
2. is it necessary to switch licence plate?
3. I have AAA auto insurance. Anyone know if I need to transfer auto insurance when I go to IL?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by trying2becomeMD:
•3. I have AAA auto insurance. Anyone know if I need to transfer auto insurance when I go to IL?•••••Only if you want to register your car in IL. I've been on the east coast for 5+ years and kept my CA plates, registration and insurance. That being said, if you're someplace where the city controls parking permits (e.g. Boston), you'll need state registration to get such a permit. However, i've always had parking in my building (and the like) and as such, it hasn't been a problem.