Moving out of parents house

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlos atrian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a dilemma. I've always lived in my parents house, but now that I got accepted into dental school I was thinking about moving out. I would be moving out (and getting married) with my fiancé. The reason I want to move out is because I am dependent on my parents for most things around the house (I even work for them in their business). My parents are difficult to deal with most of the time, they treat me like a teenager and I'm sure it's because i'm dependent on them. I want to become independent now that I will be starting dental school this upcoming fall. Any suggestions? By the way I am a 23 year old male.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
...Just find an apartment and move out! :)

Reactions: 1 user
If finances aren't an issue I would do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Start looking for places, i dunno which school you got into, but i would look for easy public transportation areas near your school. Time is a precious commodity in dental school and if you move further away from the dental school to save cash, you'll be paying for it with travel time. In minneapolis we have some awesome express busses in the burbs that go straight to the dental school, and park and ride stations as well, hopefully you've got a good public transportation system. If your school has easy parking and is in a low traffic suburb then its up to you :) just remember that loans you take out for rent are going to be accruing interest (if that is your plan), so the lower the rent the better.

Start looking for places, i dunno which school you got into, but i would look for easy public transportation areas near your school. Time is a precious commodity in dental school and if you move further away from the dental school to save cash, you'll be paying for it with travel time. In minneapolis we have some awesome express busses in the burbs that go straight to the dental school, and park and ride stations as well, hopefully you've got a good public transportation system. If your school has easy parking and is in a low traffic suburb then its up to you :) just remember that loans you take out for rent are going to be accruing interest (if that is your plan), so the lower the rent the better.

Thanks for the suggestion. I live in Las Vegas and got accepted into the dental school in Las Vegas. Rent in Las Vegas is reasonable compared to other cities. I've been looking around and a nice small home is around $1000/month. I'm going to really look into moving out. Also, traffic in Las Vegas isn't too bad.