Moving to Australia with a status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaail0240

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a unique problem for which I could not find a relevant thread, so I am posting new one hoping to get atleast some genuine replies, if anyone out there has information regarding the specific problem please feel free to share. I have been contemplating a career in Australia for a long time but recently I have been faced with a hurdle in my journey forcing me to have second thoughts. I'm a practicing medical doctor and I am diagnosed with HIV (on treatment and virally undetectable) my question is that is there any scope for a person with my status to practice medicine in Australia. I know Australian visa rules are stringent and I should get a health waiver to obtain a visa, however my concern is whether given my status, do I stand any chance to move to Australia even though I am eligible in other aspects. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For registration with AMC, I don't know. As for the visa, I know several people tested HIV positive have been granted PR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I just went through the AU visa application and all the Australian health requirements to work as a doctor. There are most definitely places to state your status but it was stated throughout that accommodations can be made. I honestly don't think they would rule you out. Most people in healthcare test positive for TB. I can ask my professors tomorrow.

Hi! I just went through the AU visa application and all the Australian health requirements to work as a doctor. There are most definitely places to state your status but it was stated throughout that accommodations can be made. I honestly don't think they would rule you out. Most people in healthcare test positive for TB. I can ask my professors tomorrow.

thank you so much. please do enlighten me with any input you get. Even i read the Australian healthcare regulation and rules for medical personnel with a health status. According to the rules its not impossible, but not allowed to perform exposure prone procedures and there are specialties considered which does not require to perform exposure prone procedures. But my concern is the ground scenario can be quite different from what the rule states. And according to my understanding one must rotate in major specialties such as surgery (which is considered a specialty with exposure prone procedures to perform) to get full registration in AMC. So i am at a dead end looking for answers about whether i should give it a try. One immigration agent told me its not impossible to work as a doctor with my status in Australia.