Moving to become IS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovesAnimals

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone move to become In-State (IS)? Would you do it? Why/Why Not?

The cut in tuition and the higher chances of getting in are tempting.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm kind of contemplating doing that to go to University of Minnesota.... (I applied, interviewed and got rejected for this cycle) but I think you have to be living and working for a full year before you can gain residency status... so I'm not sure whether or not I'd be considered a resident for the next applicant cycle (C/O 2013) or the cycle after that (C/O 2014)??

If it was C/O 2013, I might seriously consider doing it... because I loved the school and the city that much... I'd be willing to wait a year. but if it was for C/O 2014... I probably will just go the schools I get accepted into for C/O 2012... this cycle. Because I think it may be "careless" of me to let go of 2 extra years... especially when I've already been accepted somewhere else...

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I actually emailed the school today to check the whole residency thing.. since you have a better chance of getting into your in-state school and all.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I don't get in this year, I'm moving to Georgia. I've applied 2 years in a row to my IS school with no luck. I really don't think I'll ever get in there. My chances at UGA would be a LOT better. Less applicants compared to my IS and they take the Bio GRE which helpes me.

I think you have to be living and working for a full year before you can gain residency status... .

You are correct. In addition I was told it was 12 months prior to application date NOT entrance date, so keep that in mind. Although there are some states that will allow residency with less time based on whether you +/- a spouse is working a full-time and paying state income taxes. Best to research each state to see what they require to determine residency. The common theme Ive noticed is the schools definately dont want you claiming residency just to get into the school. You may have to provide documentation such as DL, voter registration, vehicle registration, employment documentation ect. because these typically mean you are living in that state regardless of academic status.

If it was C/O 2013, I might seriously consider doing it... because I loved the school and the city that much... I'd be willing to wait a year. but if it was for C/O 2014... I probably will just go the schools I get accepted into for C/O 2012... this cycle. Because I think it may be "careless" of me to let go of 2 extra years... especially when I've already been accepted somewhere else...

Anyone else have thoughts on this? I actually emailed the school today to check the whole residency thing.. since you have a better chance of getting into your in-state school and all.

Are you crazy??? (spoken in jest..not being mean) Of course my opinion is completely jaded because Ive applied 6 times, but I wouldnt wait. While your stats may be great..keep in mind each year is different as you are compared to the other students applying that year. Competition may be more or less. Do you really want to take that chance?

Are you crazy??? (spoken in jest..not being mean) Of course my opinion is completely jaded because Ive applied 6 times, but I wouldnt wait. While your stats may be great..keep in mind each year is different as you are compared to the other students applying that year. Competition may be more or less. Do you really want to take that chance?

yeah... I figured it probably sounded crazy to a lot of people. I'm almost 99.9% sure I'll go to Kansas State (school I was accepted to) for C/O 2012. I think I just got so caught up about living in the city that it made me super excited about U of MN.. and when I didn't get in, I was really disappointed. I just need to scratch that from my brain and just be happy about getting into vet school PERIOD! :)

I moved my freshman year of undergrad to establish residency in NC for NCSU. The admissions counselor flat out told me that he was aware of people doing this to get an edge for getting accepted and also benefit from IS tuition. He said he'd defer a spot to a life-time resident over a 3-year resident (me), but that I still had a better chance of getting in.

I can hopefully clear up a few misconceptions.

1. Some states require you to be there 1 year before matriculation date. That's the date you START vet school. I imagine others set it before the application date.

2. Most states have a clause in their stuff saying that moving FOR SCHOOL is not allowed. Generally, you should move for another reason, like a job. If you move and are not gainfully employed, you may be denied in-state status.

3. Not all students who move are "gaming the system". Or, even if they are to an extent, they aren't all just jetting in for four years and jetting out. In my case, I applied to Cornell, didn't get in, and re-evaluated my life. I live in the south now because that's where I want to be, and where I want to stay after vet school. I'm proud to be able to apply to UGA, and have a chance of getting in, which would be pretty slim out-of-state.

I'm dismayed that the NCSU admissions counselor would have his own state residency rules that he applies on top of the ones actually agreed upon by his state in a democratic process. If he feels that his policy is better, he should lobby the state to change its policy. Otherwise, every resident should be treated equally.

I'm dismayed that the NCSU admissions counselor would have his own state residency rules that he applies on top of the ones actually agreed upon by his state in a democratic process. If he feels that his policy is better, he should lobby the state to change its policy. Otherwise, every resident should be treated equally.

Amen. I know they're people, too, but agree on rules and then try to leave your biases aside, please!

My friend moved to Colorado to get IS. I know it was 1 year prior to matriculation for her and it worked out, she got in 1st try after moving.

I got into Upenn C/0 2012 and the dean of admission (might have been assistant) told us that it is possible to defer admissions by 1 year in order to set up residency. That being said, I am an OOS and am contemplating doing this. Can any current student at Upenn tell me the true difference in cost between IS and OOS assuming you receive all the benefits (ie-in state grants) that are possible?

My friend moved to Colorado to get IS. I know it was 1 year prior to matriculation for her and it worked out, she got in 1st try after moving.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I was thinking about doing this, but I ended up not doing it when I found out that to be considered in state for purposes of tuition, yes, you have to be there for 1 year prior to matriculation. But whoever was at the residency and/or vet office told me that to be considered in state for application purposes, you needed to be there a year prior to application (i.e.-you needed to be there 2 years essentially). I was like, "alrighty, nevermind then..." Wish I woulda known! Oh well. :rolleyes: Personally, I would gladly be a lifelong Colorado resident to practice out there if they let me in as an in stater! :laugh:

I'm thinking of moving to Columbus and then applying to OSU. DH and I live in SoCal right now and he goes to Western, but it's soooo expensive that I'd like to go to a less expensive school. Plus, we'd both like to get back East (we're both from central PA). Logistically I don't know how it'll happen though. Since DH graduates in 2010, if I have to wait a year to establish residency before applying then I can't apply until the fall of 2011 to start in the fall of 2012 (faints :laugh:)