Moving to California for Undergrad ?

camiloco89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am Currently a New York High School Student that will be applying to college this fall. I was wondering if it is a good idea to move to California to a college like pepperdine, UCLA, Berkeley, or something like that so that I can build my future there.
Main reason is because I really don't like the cold. I can handle it but I rather not. Do you think it is a good idea to do it at this point. Should I do it for graduate school. I plan on becoming a sports medicine physician or a physical therapist.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ignoring things like cost, independence. Its up to you whether you think its a good idea for you. In terms of medical school admission it makes no difference.
I plan to go from Florida to Alaska for undergrad soo yea :p

Depends how highly you value saving money as Cali would definitely cost more tuition wise

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the insight. I value saving money a lot at least for now. So I will probably do it for grad school. Florida to Alaska ? That's interesting. How so ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight. I value saving money a lot at least for now. So I will probably do it for grad school. Florida to Alaska ? That's interesting. How so ?
Fairbanks seems like a nice place to go to school, need some change in my life. so i'm just taking the leap
Also, has a great bio/engineering programs. Its the ivy of the north pole :p

Keep in mind that for medical school, California is probably the most competitive state there is.
Try Florida or Texas if you're looking for that kinda thing..

You aren't getting into Berkeley or UCLA as an out of state student. You aren't getting into a public Cali med school as an out of state resident. You probably won't get in as an in state resident.

Sure you could be an outlier but this is the trend so don't get your hopes up.

Apply to private Cali schools if you have the money for UCs. I assume that by considering UCLA and Berkeley your parents can swing $60,000 a year with a total of $0 in aid, otherwise it isn't happening. If they can pay $60k for you to go there from across the country then they can pay the $67k or however much it would cost to go to USC or Loyola Marymount type schools.

Look into more OOS-friendly schools in other warm states. Consider if weather is worth living 2,000 miles from family. You can live anywhere if you become a Doc.

Thanks a lot for the insight guys. Probably wont move to California but will consider other warm states. Good luck in Alaska EvenStevens.

Keep in mind that for medical school, California is probably the most competitive state there is.
Try Florida or Texas if you're looking for that kinda thing..
Took the words right out of my mouth. The MD - and even the DO programs - are some of the most competitive programs in the nation. If I were u I'd go where I could be a big fish in a small pond. Going to a fancy undergrad is not the end goal. Med school is the end goal.

Ive seen way too many ppl burnout in undergrad.

Alumni of Cal Berkeley-LOVED it.

My cousin (last year) finished HS in NYC. Got into Columbia, NYU, Cornell, but UCLA was her dream school (don't ask me why).

Came here from NYC and is loving it! Lives next door to us :)