Moving to Texas to Apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aggie95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I'm going into my 4th year of undergrad at a UC. My GPA is pretty average (3.7ish) and my ECs are decent. I have spent this last summer stuying for the MCAT, but the test is in a few weeks and I definitely won't be ready in time, so I've decided to delay it and take a 2nd gap year so I have plenty of time to study and take it.

I will be able to graduate one quarter early, in March of next year, so I will have about 15 months off before I apply. I've always wanted to try living somewhere else (since I've lived in CA my entire life), so I was thinking moving to Texas would allow me to try something new, while also vastly increasing my chances of getting into med school.

Has anyone had experience doing this? Is it possible, or will I still be treated as an OOS student at Texas med schools after living and working there for a little over a year?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

So I'm going into my 4th year of undergrad at a UC. My GPA is pretty average (3.7ish) and my ECs are decent. I have spent this last summer stuying for the MCAT, but the test is in a few weeks and I definitely won't be ready in time, so I've decided to delay it and take a 2nd gap year so I have plenty of time to study and take it.

I will be able to graduate one quarter early, in March of next year, so I will have about 15 months off before I apply. I've always wanted to try living somewhere else (since I've lived in CA my entire life), so I was thinking moving to Texas would allow me to try something new, while also vastly increasing my chances of getting into med school.

Has anyone had experience doing this? Is it possible, or will I still be treated as an OOS student at Texas med schools after living and working there for a little over a year?

Thanks

I have no clue. But I know a someone that tried to do this in Florida, because apparently they said if you live and work for one year you are a resident. But they pretty much saw right through him- he wanted to have an easier shot at a state with a bunch of medical schools. I'm also pretty sure they ask how long you lived there, and they might wonder if you were just moving there for school and then leaving.
If this works, why not move to Mississippi or Arkansas, where there you have a much higher chance of getting in to med school?

Reactions: 1 users
According to this, https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/residency.html it says you are a resident when you live and work there for year. I don't see how they can reject you if you do this? It's clearly stated in the rules…so if an applicant were to follow that, he/she would be a TX resident right? I believe you have to stay from Oct 1 of the previous year to Oct 1 of the application year to be called TX in-state for med school purposes

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, great plan given that in state Texas acceptance rate for TMDSAS is equal to the national average -42%, and that Texas med school seats only accommodate for 35-40% of in state Texas applicants. There is not a great improvement in chances if you move to Texas. You can search for TMDSAS statistics on your own.

Reactions: 2 users
According to this, https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/residency.html it says you are a resident when you live and work there for year. I don't see how they can reject you if you do this? It's clearly stated in the rules…so if an applicant were to follow that, he/she would be a TX resident right? I believe you have to stay from Oct 1 of the previous year to Oct 1 of the application year to be called TX in-state for med school purposes

This was the case in Florida, and the schools were like " we have so many applicants who have lived here and probably will live here after graduation to serve Florida, why would we give it to someone who came and lived here for 1 year bc of the rules". I know the rules say that, but when he went and asked why he was rejected that was one of the reasons they gave.
Of course it could work, who knows. But these are mainly state schools that have a goal of producing physicians for their state. They might just see through it.

Yeah, great plan given that in state Texas acceptance rate for TMDSAS is equal to the national average -42%, and that Texas med school seats only accommodate for 35-40% of in state Texas applicants. There is not a great improvement in chances if you move to Texas. You can search for TMDSAS statistics on your own.

If he's going to do this, he should move to MS or AR, don't they have a high in state acceptance rate?

We don't have to give a reason for non-interviews.
Even if the minimum requirement is met, an applicant may not be viewed the same as a long-term resident.

This was the case in Florida, and the schools were like " we have so many applicants who have lived here and probably will live here after graduation to serve Florida, why would we give it to someone who came and lived here for 1 year bc of the rules". I know the rules say that, but when he went and asked why he was rejected that was one of the reasons they gave.
Of course it could work, who knows. But these are mainly state schools that have a goal of producing physicians for their state. They might just see through it.

Hmm, that seems unfair. If an applicant does everything by the rules, then TX or FL residency should be undeniable. I don't see how the govt can just say no…I'm sure plenty of people move for school purposes, and TMDSAS must be aware that many come for med school. I still think OP would be fine with this plan. I confirmed with TMDSAS about this sometime back and they stated clearly that Oct 1 - Oct 1 is what matters to them. There's also a very simple form on TMDSAS that confirms this residency. Couldn't hurt to try :shrug:

If he's going to do this, he should move to MS or AR, don't they have a high in state acceptance rate?
West Virginia too, but no matter what he's going to have to prove he cares about the state. They're going to see through him. He should focus on being the best applicant, not trying to weasel his way through life.

We don't have to give a reason for non-interviews.
Even if the minimum requirement is met, an applicant may not be viewed the same as a long-term resident.

Yes, but the thing is, I don't think TX schools will see how long you lived in TX etc. TMDSAS classifies an applicant as a resident/non-resident and that info. directly goes to all TX schools, where they are electronically sorted into piles. Then, the TX schools just II from each pile. I assume, if this is the case, TX schools will not necessarily have time to re-confirm everything TMDSAS sends them right? TMDSAS does the sorting for them already, and TX explicitly follows that

West Virginia too, but no matter what he's going to have to prove he cares about the state. They're going to see through him. He should focus on being the best applicant, not trying to weasel his way through life.
It is my impression that W VA would consider a year-long move to their state as a significant commitment.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, but the thing is, I don't think TX schools will see how long you lived in TX etc. TMDSAS classifies an applicant as a resident/non-resident and that info. directly goes to all TX schools, where they are electronically sorted into piles. Then, the TX schools just II from each pile. I assume, if this is the case, TX schools will not necessarily have time to re-confirm everything TMDSAS sends them right? TMDSAS does the sorting for them already, and TX explicitly follows that
When the birthplace, and all recorded education and experience is in another state, we can draw reasonable conclusions.
How this is interpreted is not mandated by law, even if the residency designation is.

Last edited by a moderator:

A very true statistic that many overlook -- The odds of an In State TX applicant being accepted to a TX school are very close to the national average. But there are many other good reasons to move to TX and for why attending a TX medical school is beneficial -- the Match, LOW tuition, very good schools with a wide range of average scores (meaning moderate-stat applicants have a decent shot), plus a great place to live and work.

But yeah - there are other states where being a resident increases your odds more.

Hmm, that seems unfair. If an applicant does everything by the rules, then TX or FL residency should be undeniable. I don't see how the govt can just say no…I'm sure plenty of people move for school purposes, and TMDSAS must be aware that many come for med school. I still think OP would be fine with this plan. I confirmed with TMDSAS about this sometime back and they stated clearly that Oct 1 - Oct 1 is what matters to them. There's also a very simple form on TMDSAS that confirms this residency. Couldn't hurt to try :shrug:

If you meet the IS definition, you qualify as an IS resident, will get evaluated as part of the IS pool, will fall within the 90% bracket and will pay low IS tuition. But it doesn't necessarily mean that the AdCom will buy your "I just luv Texas and want to devote my life to making this great state even greater" line of BS.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Nope they do. I applied to TMDAS and there were questions about my length/ties in TX. I think Texas schools can see this, as one of their goals are to keep students in state.
Also: Just because there is a rule stating the Oct 1- Oct 1, it doesn't mean they will think you will stay. If OP had amazing stats I would say go for it, as TX does interview some good LizzyM OOS. But there are a lot of IS applicants with a 3.7. I'm not an adcom, but I'm speaking from what I've heard.
Texas averages around a 3.7 gpa for all schools total. There is no reason why the adcom would choose someone who moved to the state for the sole purpose of easier admission than someone who has shown dedication to Texas that have similar gpas.

That is a myth. Despite what applicants may think, on an applicant to seat basis, Texas for residents is even more competitive (37% matriculated in 2015) than AMCAS is nationwide (41% matriculated in 2015). That includes over half of matriculants having 3.75 or better GPA

https://www.tmdsas.com/Final Statistics Report- EY15-Medical.pdf

Why do so many people think it's easier to get into? Is it just favored because of the low tuition and the fact that there are a lot of schools?

Because of the mandate to seat 90% of the classes with Texans. This doesn't help you if your stats are sub-par.

MS, NM, IA, KS, NE, LA, MO, OK, TN, the Dakotas, OR, AL and GA are vastly more IS friendly than TX. these are states that essentially do not seat OOSers. SIU is another one.

Why do so many people think it's easier to get into? Is it just favored because of the low tuition and the fact that there are a lot of schools?

You are not guaranteed a seat in med school. that has to be earned. There is nothing wrong with a state preferring residents over non-residents, either. The taxpayers are, after all, subsidizing your tuition.

Reactions: 2 users
It definitely asks how long you've been a resident on TMDSAS. My parents moved and bought a house in TX a few years ago and the app asked me when they acquired the deed to their house. Even though I'm technically a TX resident I'm sure it's not as strong of a case for the schools as someone who's grown up in the state.

Because of the mandate to seat 90% of the classes with Texans. This doesn't help you if your stats are sub-par.

MS, NM, IA, KS, NE, LA, MO, OK, TN, the Dakotas, OR, AL and GA are vastly more IS friendly than TX. these are states that essentially do not seat OOSers. SIU is another one.

Sometimes wish I was a Mississippi resident- only IS and a high chance of getting in haha

Unfair how? The goal is to train physicians who will practice in that state. Imagine a clueless IS applicant who had lived in Texas all their life, but express in their PS that they can't wait to leave the lone star state after graduation or residency. You think that person is going to get accepted? No, because it goes against the mission of those schools. Putting up a fairly easy to see through ruse, and being evaluated on an honest basis is fair. Of course they'll get their coveted IS status, but it really won't mean anything to the real life people who make up an admissions council (so many applicants seem to forget that there are independent people with thoughts of their own on an adcom).

Just to make clear to the readers, even with the 90% Texas Resident law (historically they take 92%), the Texas residents who apply have a 37% matriculation rate and over half of the Texas resident matriculants have 3.75 GPA or better. They also have very strict and specific statutory tests for residency
Where did you get the stats for TX matriculants? They are not included in Table A-20.

Just want to point out that several of the schools in those places state very clearly that simply establishing residency is NOT considered evidence for willingness to serve a community.

Just want to point out that several of the schools in those places state very clearly that simply establishing residency is NOT considered evidence for willingness to serve a community.
NM has an unwritten rule that (years of residency X number of times applying) has to equal 12, despite residency requirements. I know many smaller, rural states are similar in that regard.

Should have done this years ago bonita. Doesn't hurt to try tho!

UC system sucks testicles.

Apply to the DO programs there too. Those are super legit.

Thanks for all the replies guys... I guess Texans don't have it quite as good as I thought when it comes to med school admissions. Luckily I still have quite a bit of time before I graduate to decide what to do.

Sent from my XT1063 using SDN mobile

Thanks for all the replies guys... I guess Texans don't have it quite as good as I thought when it comes to med school admissions. Luckily I still have quite a bit of time before I graduate to decide what to do.

Sent from my XT1063 using SDN mobile

If you want an "easy" time getting into med school... go fullfront and all-in for a DO program.... if you keep up your GPA, and do okayish on the MCAT, you will do great in obtaining a seat on California (especially at Touro-CA) which isn't too far from UC Davis, which I believe is your undergrad.

I would definitely bust my butt even more and try to contact the new MD program that opened up in Stockton (or near there) and weasel your way into that program. That school has a lot going for it.

You will have no problem getting into a DO program with those stats so far, if everything else is in order. For now though... keep upping your GPA, keep padding your resume, and try for that Cali MD program (and ANY MD program for that matter).

Good luck champ.

If you want an "easy" time getting into med school... go fullfront and all-in for a DO program.... if you keep up your GPA, and do okayish on the MCAT, you will do great in obtaining a seat on California (especially at Touro-CA) which isn't too far from UC Davis, which I believe is your undergrad.

I would definitely bust my butt even more and try to contact the new MD program that opened up in Stockton (or near there) and weasel your way into that program. That school has a lot going for it.

You will have no problem getting into a DO program with those stats so far, if everything else is in order. For now though... keep upping your GPA, keep padding your resume, and try for that Cali MD program (and ANY MD program for that matter).

Good luck champ.

Lol how do you weasel your way into a program?

Lol how do you weasel your way into a program?

Lol...

Go talk to the school you are interested in, set up a meeting with the president, talk to faculty... network. It's gonna be a big part of your future (hopefully).

One thing is that a lot of pre-meds aren't good at that part at all. So if OP is the talkative and charming type, it could work out in his/her favor.

Lol...

Go talk to the school you are interested in, set up a meeting with the president, talk to faculty... network. It's gonna be a big part of your future (hopefully).

One thing is that a lot of pre-meds aren't good at that part at all. So if OP is the talkative and charming type, it could work out in his/her favor.

I mean....just because you meet with faculty doesn't mean you'll get in?
If this were the case, every pre-med would be setting up meetings left and right. Networking is a big part, you're right. But the networking that will get you in med school is not charming the faculty into letting him in. Remember, he needs the stats to get the interview, there's no weaseling his way into that.
Networking helps when let's say your dad is a faculty member at XYZ med school. He is friends with a few people on the admissions committee, and they put in favorable recs, and as long as you have decent stats, you have a higher chance of interviewing, because it separates you from the thousands of applicants.

I mean....just because you meet with faculty doesn't mean you'll get in?
If this were the case, every pre-med would be setting up meetings left and right. Networking is a big part, you're right. But the networking that will get you in med school is not charming the faculty into letting him in. Remember, he needs the stats to get the interview, there's no weaseling his way into that.
Networking helps when let's say your dad is a faculty member at XYZ med school. He is friends with a few people on the admissions committee, and they put in favorable recs, and as long as you have decent stats, you have a higher chance of interviewing, because it separates you from the thousands of applicants.

Lol one thing pre-meds forget is that the matriculant GPAs and MCATs are AVERAGES. There were people below and above those numbers.

Not every pre-med will try to go all out because they share the same exact thoughts you are expressing currently. I personally know folks who have done exactly so and it paid off.. and come interview time... who did they remember the most? Yupp.. the dude who actually came to the school and expressed interest in being there and even tried setting up a meeting with the damn president of the program lol

But hey man, if you don't wanna put yourself out there then by all means do you, because there are thousands of other pre-meds looking for an advantage to take that spot from you and I would do the same exact thing if I were pre-med.

Just saying though... If you never ask for something, the answer will always be no. Gotta put yourself out there. Some people will call it "gunning", some will call it "kissing ass", some will call it "desperation".

Haters gonna hate man.

Haters gonna hate.

Lol one thing pre-meds forget is that the matriculant GPAs and MCATs are AVERAGES. There were people below and above those numbers.

Not every pre-med will try to go all out because they share the same exact thoughts you are expressing currently. I personally know folks who have done exactly so and it paid off.. and come interview time... who did they remember the most? Yupp.. the dude who actually came to the school and expressed interest in being there and even tried setting up a meeting with the damn president of the program lol

But hey man, if you don't wanna put yourself out there then by all means do you, because there are thousands of other pre-meds looking for an advantage to take that spot from you and I would do the same exact thing if I were pre-med.

Just saying though... If you never ask for something, the answer will always be no. Gotta put yourself out there. Some people will call it "gunning", some will call it "kissing ass", some will call it "desperation".

Haters gonna hate man.

Haters gonna hate.

I think repeatedly coming to the school to try and talk to busy faculty and of course the busiest person- the dean, can come across as kissing ass. But hey, if that's what you have to do. I decided to let my stats do the talking, and have 1 IS II and 1 OOS II, including one school where my stats are below the average. @gyngyn is this something that works at your school? The schmoozing? Cause I will totally take back my statement.

I think repeatedly coming to the school to try and talk to busy faculty and of course the busiest person- the dean, can come across as kissing ass. But hey, if that's what you have to do. I decided to let my stats do the talking, and have 1 IS II and 1 OOS II, including one school where my stats are below the average. @gyngyn is this something that works at your school? The schmoozing? Cause I will totally take back my statement.
Our admissions dean detests it.
It seems to identify students with characteristics we'd rather avoid.

Sorry, this still fits my paradigm.
The very best candidates from TX (215 matriculated OOS last year), will be considered.

No I get that, just wanted to let you know.

Make sure to consult your state's actual laws (read them yourself, look up the name of the actual legislative body)

Nope they do. I applied to TMDAS and there were questions about my length/ties in TX. I think Texas schools can see this, as one of their goals are to keep students in state.
Also: Just because there is a rule stating the Oct 1- Oct 1, it doesn't mean they will think you will stay. If OP had amazing stats I would say go for it, as TX does interview some good LizzyM OOS. But there are a lot of IS applicants with a 3.7. I'm not an adcom, but I'm speaking from what I've heard.
Texas averages around a 3.7 gpa for all schools total. There is no reason why the adcom would choose someone who moved to the state for the sole purpose of easier admission than someone who has shown dedication to Texas that have similar gpas.

It definitely asks how long you've been a resident on TMDSAS. My parents moved and bought a house in TX a few years ago and the app asked me when they acquired the deed to their house. Even though I'm technically a TX resident I'm sure it's not as strong of a case for the schools as someone who's grown up in the state.

Do you mean there were questions on TMDSAS about this? Or did they send you a request for documents afterwards and forms with new questions to confirm residency?

I just took the TMDSAS proof of residency "quiz" as an aspiring TX resident (someone who is gainfully employed and working there from Oct 1, 2015 to at least Oct 1, 2016 with hopes of being classified as TX resident for 2017 matriculation purposes). The form didn't ask me anything about my length/ties or how long I've been a resident. It just said "How long have you been in TX?" and I answered "more than or equal to 12 months."

When it asked my main purpose for being in TX, I said "Work assignment." At the end of it all though, it classified me as a TX resident. TMDSAS says that they usually don't ask for documentation unless they deem it necessary based on the TMDSAS app info…so this is a case-by-case basis I guess? Did you guys have to submit or answer additional info. to confirm residency?

I'm confused because the form clearly classifies me as a TX resident…it seems pretty simple too, so not sure why OP can't attempt the same :/

Do you mean there were questions on TMDSAS about this? Or did they send you a request for documents afterwards and forms with new questions to confirm residency?

I just took the TMDSAS proof of residency "quiz" as an aspiring TX resident (someone who is gainfully employed and working there from Oct 1, 2015 to at least Oct 1, 2016 with hopes of being classified as TX resident for 2017 matriculation purposes). The form didn't ask me anything about my length/ties or how long I've been a resident. It just said "How long have you been in TX?" and I answered "more than or equal to 12 months."

When it asked my main purpose for being in TX, I said "Work assignment." At the end of it all though, it classified me as a TX resident. TMDSAS says that they usually don't ask for documentation unless they deem it necessary based on the TMDSAS app info…so this is a case-by-case basis I guess? Did you guys have to submit or answer additional info. to confirm residency?

I'm confused because the form clearly classifies me as a TX resident…it seems pretty simple too, so not sure why OP can't attempt the same :/

Okay this is the problem. Moving to MOST states for one year to get an "easier" chance at med school is pretty obvious to the adcoms. This is my main point. They will most likely choose someone who has been serving the state for longer, as taxpayers are the ones helping pay for the medical schools.
There were questions on my TMDAS, even though I graduated from high school there. I've heard from other people who didn't graduate from high school that there were questions about their family ties etc.

I get that it classifies you as a TX resident, but that's the same thing as a school saying we look at all applications with a minimum of 3.0/500. They may say that, but the admissions committee may have a different point. TX schools do accept OOS, so I'm not saying you can't get an interview. I'm just saying it makes more sense to accept a person that will be more likely to live in the state after. Also, Texas does look at length of time spent in TX as one of the factors when considering an interview/acceptance, just like many schools do.

LOL and kissing ass can certainly get you far IF you have the stats and everything else to back it up bro. I'm not saying this will work for folks with a 3.2... but it does work for those who have 3.7s and above. It can certainly add to an app and I have seen it firsthand which is why I'm mentioning it.

You need every advantage you can get. Put the face to the name but hey good luck to you!

Okay this is the problem. Moving to MOST states for one year to get an "easier" chance at med school is pretty obvious to the adcoms. This is my main point. They will most likely choose someone who has been serving the state for longer, as taxpayers are the ones helping pay for the medical schools.
There were questions on my TMDAS, even though I graduated from high school there. I've heard from other people who didn't graduate from high school that there were questions about their family ties etc.

I get that it classifies you as a TX resident, but that's the same thing as a school saying we look at all applications with a minimum of 3.0/500. They may say that, but the admissions committee may have a different point. TX schools do accept OOS, so I'm not saying you can't get an interview. I'm just saying it makes more sense to accept a person that will be more likely to live in the state after. Also, Texas does look at length of time spent in TX as one of the factors when considering an interview/acceptance, just like many schools do.

Thanks for the reply! After you submitted TMDSAS with the claim that you were a TX resident, did they ask for additional documentation to back it? Did you have to also submit pay stubs, electricity bills, car documents, etc?

Also, what if my entire family lives in the state. Do you think that would be a more compelling case for adcoms to believe that I will eventually stay in the state?

Quick question: I grew up in NM. Late elementary to a bit after HS. Then moved away due to my husband's military orders. Will they still consider me? I mean, will I now be viewed as a regular OOS applicant and should not really evem try to apply?

Quick question: I grew up in NM. Late elementary to a bit after HS. Then moved away due to my husband's military orders. Will they still consider me? I mean, will I now be viewed as a regular OOS applicant and should not really evem try to apply?
NM has an unwritten rule that (years of residency X number of times applying) has to equal 12, despite residency requirements. I know many smaller, rural states are similar in that regard.

Thanks for the reply! After you submitted TMDSAS with the claim that you were a TX resident, did they ask for additional documentation to back it? Did you have to also submit pay stubs, electricity bills, car documents, etc?

Also, what if my entire family lives in the state. Do you think that would be a more compelling case for adcoms to believe that I will eventually stay in the state?

No, because I put down my high school information- I actually had to get my HS transcript, bc there was some stuff I couldn't even remember. They asked me the amount of years I was in TX, and they even ask about leaving for college. The point is though- pay stubs, electricity bills etc are great if you want to prove you live in TX. But it does nothing to convince the admissions committee that you are not just here for medical school.

By whole family, do you mean mother/father? Or cousins/aunts/uncles etc? It also depends on how long they lived there, and if you are still dependent on them.

Last edited:
Thanks @ZedsDed, I admit that I skipped through a lot of the rest of the thread to ask my question. My apologies!

No, because I put down my high school information- I actually had to get my HS transcript, bc there was some stuff I couldn't even remember. They asked me the amount of years I was in TX, and they even ask about leaving for college. The point is though- pay stubs, electricity bills etc are great if you want to prove you live in TX. But it does nothing to convince the admissions committee that you are not just here for medical school.

By whole family, do you mean mother/father? Or cousins/aunts/uncles etc? It also depends on how long they lived there, and if you are still dependent on them.

No, my situation is different (I'm not the OP lol). I recently graduated and my parents live on the East coast but are moving to TX for my sister's college (in another year). My entire extended family has been living there for awhile now. Basically, my parents are shifting base, and I'd like to be closer to family for med school and residency. I've visited TX a lot and want to practice there. I didn't have time before to become IS since I was attending college, but now I have two years to establish residency. By the rules, I'll become a TX resident but now I'm worried it wouldn't make a difference to adcoms. I don't want to lose my East Coast residency too if there's no advantage in me moving to TX.