MPH admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enfield

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am an international student from India but a Canadian citizen. I am a medical graduate and want to pursue MPH. My GRE scores are V390 Q680 AW4.5. I have applied to a few MPH programs(Idaho state, UAB,USouthernMississippi,UMDNJ,SUNY Albany,San Diego SU). What are my chances of getting admission in these?My bigger problem is that since I am in Canada now, I can't get the official transcripts in time for the deadlines. And I have a similar problem with the financial documentation as my sponsor's bank would issue only one statement. How should I go about now? Shall i send notarized copies or just photo copies? Anyone who faced a similar problem ? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi enfield!

Congrats on your decision to pursue a MPH degree. I'll start backwards: as far as getting your documentation and transcripts in at these schools, call them first and ask if it's okay to fax the information to them and send originals later, or if it would be all right to mail it in late (some schools are flexible). Before you go through all the trouble, make sure it's worth your time and money to get the stuff to them as soon as humanly possible.

As far as your chances of getting into these schools, well, I'm not quite sure what to tell you. This is moreso a question for the admissions folks at the individual schools. I went to SUNYA undergrad, and know that since they are a state school, they take a wide variety of students with a wide variety of experience and scores on the GRE. Having said that, your quantitative score is certainly strong, but if there were one thing that might hurt you, it might be your verbal score. However, knowing that English is not your native language (assumption, please correct me if I am wrong), some schools may be cognizant of this and give you the benefit of the doubt. However, you might want to check into resources for students to see if you will receive the adequate support that you need to complete the Masters programs at these schools (e.g. language or writing labs, etc.).

Essentially, it all depends on the school, your personal characteristics (your total package, including your stats and motivation to apply to the MPH program), and the dynamics and demographics of other applicants. Each of these schools will look at you as an individual and assess your potential based on your background and experience. You should talk to someone from these schools to discuss your application further (I think that most schools would be genuinely interested in helping you). I wish you the very best of luck with your process.

Best,
H&T

thanks a lot H&T! well English isn't my first language, its Punjabi. however I have taken TOEFL and my score is 277 and am good at writing and speaking as well(its the vocab).anyways as you suggested i will get in touch with all the admission offices.

enfield