MPH before MD when you are changing careers? Or just do MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antiagingdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing my PhD dissertation (not in a health-related field) while working full-time in a health-related field. (I switched careers without the benefit of the "right" degree and now want to learn things the right way.)

I'm very interested in public health and there are a number of part-time Master's programs that I could take while I work (Harvard, Johns Hopkins, etc.) I'm wondering if it makes sense to do this before I do the post-bacc as I can't quit this job (personal reasons) for another year or two.

I could earn the MPH while I work over the next couple of years, then quit and do a full-time post-bacc. This would allow me to explore health academia, see if I really want to do the MD (or just the MPH), and gain a credential in the health field before starting the MD (good for admissions, maybe?)

Or, I could stick to my original plan, of doing the post-bacc part-time while I work.

I'm nontraditional, totally unrelated undergrad (so no courses towards the postbacc), elite schools, older so eager to get started.

What factors should I consider in making this decision?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to do an MPH do an MPH. You don't NEED to do an MPH...

As someone doing an MPH before medical school, I tend to give the advice that if it's something you are interested in doing and think you will use, then get the degree. If you don't plan to actually use it, then don't get it.

In your case, however, and in most cases, I suggest you get it at a later point in your training. I don't know how much insight doing an MPH will give you into medicine or academic medicine as a career. Shadowing would probably be a better choice.

Its ok to take your time getting into medical school and through training to make sure you do it right, but it is nice to be time and cost efficient in your plan. The option to do an MPH will always be there and it's probably better to just get started on that post bac part time.

If you do the MPH later, sometimes your residency, fellowship program, or employer will kick in for some of the cost. You'll also have a better idea later what your focus in medicines will be giving you the chance to better tailor your courses, project, and experiences to what you need.

Reactions: 1 user