MPH (Epidemiology) without the PH background?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vbeau75

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm hoping to get some advice as I'm applying to MPH - Epidemiology programs without a background nor any experience in public health. I got my BS in Psychology a few years ago and worked as a business analyst afterwards until the company I was at folded in June. I knew I didn't want to go back into the business world and that I wanted to put my analytical background to good use to improve peoples' lives, which lead me to epidemiology. I'd like to work in a city/state health department upon graduation. I'm having trouble figuring out how to convey my background in my application because I know there will be so many applicants with research or work experience in public health.

I spent 2.5 years as an undergrad research assistant in college but that was in social psychology lab - running computer-based tests on freshmen. Had a 3.5 GPA. I did take a graduate statistics course and got an A and will have two solid letters of recommendation (professor I researched under and my former boss who will speak to my analytical background) but I'm worried it won't be enough? I'm NOT applying to top Epi programs...applying SUNY Albany, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, CUNY Hunter, NY Medical College, and Rutgers. Three of them say nothing about PH experience while the other two give preference to those with 1-2 years experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no admissions counselor, but I think you should still be fine. Lots of people apply straight out of undergrad w/o much public health experience and still get into good programs, so if you're applying w/ some sort of work experience (even if not related to public health), it won't hurt you.

Like Solara said, there are a lot of people that go into public health (especially Epi or Biostats) with no prior experience. You should be fine as long as you have a strong SoP. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You may have started getting responses at this point, but for anyone frantically checking these boards with the same question next year, I'm happy to say that you should have no problem with a different background. I got into several good schools already with a background pretty much unrelated entirely. I have a degree in Finance and am a business analyst, so I do have a lot of experience with statistics and project management. I also took a few science classes. I think as long as you can connect what your current skill set is and how you intend to apply that to what you're studying, and what your motivation is for the degree, there's nothing to worry about. I was very anxious about this when I was applying, and now I am very relieved!

I scoured the internet looking for evidence that someone with my background had successfully navigated a career change to public health. To anyone out there wondering and worrying: it's totally possible. If someone with a BS in Graphic Design and almost no college-level coursework in math and science can get accepted to schools like Emory and Tulane, there is hope for just about anybody.

If I could give anyone advice, it would be to start getting involved in the specialty you'd like to work in right away. Make phone calls, talk to people, volunteer. I also absolutely second what KPZ said about thinking of the connections between your past training and what your goals are. I think it's good to demonstrate in your SOP that you have a defined vision for what you're going to do and how you mean to accomplish it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

I'm hoping to get some advice as I'm applying to MPH - Epidemiology programs without a background nor any experience in public health. I got my BS in Psychology a few years ago and worked as a business analyst afterwards until the company I was at folded in June. I knew I didn't want to go back into the business world and that I wanted to put my analytical background to good use to improve peoples' lives, which lead me to epidemiology. I'd like to work in a city/state health department upon graduation. I'm having trouble figuring out how to convey my background in my application because I know there will be so many applicants with research or work experience in public health.

I spent 2.5 years as an undergrad research assistant in college but that was in social psychology lab - running computer-based tests on freshmen. Had a 3.5 GPA. I did take a graduate statistics course and got an A and will have two solid letters of recommendation (professor I researched under and my former boss who will speak to my analytical background) but I'm worried it won't be enough? I'm NOT applying to top Epi programs...applying SUNY Albany, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, CUNY Hunter, NY Medical College, and Rutgers. Three of them say nothing about PH experience while the other two give preference to those with 1-2 years experience.
I think experience is interpreted very broadly. It sounds like you do have analytical experience and I am pretty sure that counts, especially for epi. You might consider getting involved in some volunteer work. Pretty much all my "experience" is from volunteer gigs such as volunteering at a free clinic.