MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow! Thanks for the info. Now time to start obsessively refreshing my email...
Haha, I'm glad I am not the only one who has been doing that since they saw this post

Members don't see this ad.

Have you received yours yet? I'm anxious to hear something from them!
Nope, haven't gotten anything. I know they said they had some system issues which is I guess why these emails are coming out so late. Looking at past years it seems like login info has gone out in November.

Eeeeek Emory is my top choice!! I can't wait to hear something!
I think this is just info to login to their system (similar to Michigan). They said actual decisions will be 4-6 weeks so I'm thinking end of January maybe? Not sure how fast they are with turnaround time but I guess it's department specific.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is just info to login to their system (similar to Michigan). They said actual decisions will be 4-6 weeks so I'm thinking end of January maybe? Not sure how fast they are with turnaround time but I guess it's department specific.

Based on past years, their decisions usually come out in late January. I'm just glad we are finally hearing something!

For anyone who applied to Emory, I called this morning and they said they started sending emails with logins to their system last night.
Ahhh!!! I can't wait!!! Even if it's just for a log in to a system that I can start refreshing. I need to add things to my refresh list, ha. I think you freaked us all out, but in a good way. Thanks for the update!

Reactions: 1 users
Ahhh!!! I can't wait!!! Even if it's just for a log in to a system that I can start refreshing. I need to add things to my refresh list, ha. I think you freaked us all out, but in a good way. Thanks for the update!
Haha at least it was in a good way lol. And I sort of feel like we won't get emails till next week, just because today is Friday ...but keeping my fingers crossed!

Eeeeek Emory is my top choice!! I can't wait to hear something!
Me too! Hopefully we will all hear something soon! Going to Atlanta this weekend for a half marathon. I may go wander around campus.

Haha at least it was in a good way lol. And I sort of feel like we won't get emails till next week, just because today is Friday ...but keeping my fingers crossed!

That's what I'm thinking too, unfortunately. Although like @KPZ said, it would just be one more thing that I'm constantly refreshing! On second thought, maybe it's better that I don't have my login yet... :thinking:

Reactions: 1 user
Me too! Hopefully we will all hear something soon! Going to Atlanta this weekend for a half marathon. I may go wander around campus.

If we both end up there I'll be your running buddy haha

Just got accepted into Tulane! So good knowing I'll be somewhere. :D

Reactions: 7 users
well accepted by Tulane but rejected by Ohio State. Guess ill take the good with the bad.

Reactions: 6 users
I did a stint in hedge fun marketing and if they're using a similar system it could take hours between the time they press send and it actually sends if their base is large enough. Not like it matters. 3pm on a Friday...

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a question that has already been asked, so I apologize if that is the case! But I was wondering, does anyone know when universities alert you of any merit scholarships/aid that you may have been awarded? Do those usually get sent with an admission letter or do they come later?

Hello everyone! Finally getting around to post this. Good luck to all of us!

Undergrad School:
St. John's University
Undergrad GPA: 3.95
Major/Minor: Clinical Laboratory Sciences/Chemistry
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): July 2011: V 600 (84%), Q 780 (86%), W 5.0 (93%)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
2+ yrs as FT Clinical Laboratory Scientist in the Transfusion Medicine laboratory of a tertiary care hospital (rec'd Hon. Mention for paper submitted to NY Blood Center), 1 yr volunteer for inner city food pantry, 1 week service plunge in Philadelphia, Secretary of campus Medical Technology Club, and other university honors/awards

SOPHAS Verified 11/19/14

Applied: Columbia (Epi/Applied Biostatistics cert.), NYU (Epi), CUNY (Epi), Johns Hopkins (Epi)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Rec'd application confirmation emails from Johns Hopkins (11/21), Columbia (12/5), & CUNY (12/5). Haven't heard from NYU yet.

Undergrad school: Gonzaga
Undergrad GPA: 3.52
Major/Minor: Italian Studies/pre med and a dynamic transcript because I couldn't choose a damn major. In the end, the major chose me
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): MCAT
no public health experience. currently doing clinical research with UTHSCSA medical school on autism, and separately, prostate cancer.

some other stuff that can be found on my CV

Applied: Global Health @ Saint Louis, Global Health @ Emory, Tropical medicine @ Tulane

Accepted: Tulane, Saint Louis. Waiting on Emory

This might be a question that has already been asked, so I apologize if that is the case! But I was wondering, does anyone know when universities alert you of any merit scholarships/aid that you may have been awarded? Do those usually get sent with an admission letter or do they come later?
I believe those come either with your admissions decision or very soon after, they definitely arrive before you have to give your decision to the universities

Undergrad School: California State University
Undergrad GPA: 3.7 Overall / 4.0 Major
Major/Minor: Health Administration
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V:165; Q:154; A:4.5 (Taken 11/10/14)

6 months Research Assistant for Behavioral Health at USC; 6 years EMT for ambulance service (promoted to Quality Improvement Coordinator position for 3 years); assisted in writing biostatistics lab manual (with focus on SPSS software and large data sets); Biostats tutor for Cal State. Hoping the quantitative experience offsets the less than stellar GRE quant score . . . Applying to health policy and management (HPM) concentrations.

Applied: UC Berkeley(12/1), UCLA(12/1), Emory (12/23), Columbia (1/14)
Accepted: UCLA(1/30), Emory(2/4), Berkeley(2/9), Columbia (2/25)
Rejected: None
Waitlisted: None

Attending: BERKELEY!

Last edited:
Did you guys also get a second email from Emory regarding applying for financial aid?

Got a personalized follow up to my application review from WUSTL with a note that I should be hearing from admissions soon... On edge today!!!

Finally got that Emory opus log in info last night.

Drexel sent me an email addressed to someone that isn't me. It wasn't an admissions decision or anything but I'm hoping it was just a one time glitch.

Got an email from Columbia over the weekend saying my application was complete and sent to my department for review, but I won't know about a decision until mid-February.

Did you guys also get a second email from Emory regarding applying for financial aid?
No :( only got the login one. Maybe I'll get the second after I actually login?

No :( only got the login one. Maybe I'll get the second after I actually login?
You will. You have to create the account and log in first then you will get notification e-mails.

This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone know how to change the OPUS password? There's no way I'm remembering the stock one they gave me

This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone know how to change the OPUS password? There's no way I'm remembering the stock one they gave me
You're not able to change it until you're admitted.

Hey Everyone,

I have been MIA lately due to having a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy this past Thursday (keepin' strong- Day 5) but I have been reading everyone's posts and keeping track of all the acceptances so congratulations to all you lucky folks!

Boston, NYU, George Washington, Yale have all responded to me with confirmation of my application and it's completion. The only one I didn't receive an email of confirmation was Columbia which is odd.

As for my Canadian MPH programs, I am waiting for some transcripts to be sent to each respective school and some referees to hand in references.

Hopefully I will let you know my decisions for some of the American universities by Mid-Jan because I am confident they will be first to send out decisions. Have a happy holiday everyone!

Hey everyone,
Submitted SOPHAS 12/1, verified 12/15. Two weeks isn't too bad in the midst of the application season. Also, thank you SOPHAS for increasing my junior/senior level GPA :)

In my experience from last year, the schools where I didn't make the first cut rejected me within 2-3 weeks, while the schools that accepted me responded in about 4-5 weeks. Don't be discouraged from a rejection!

Re-accepted to Tulane from deferment from last year. Didn't apply and wasn't considering Tulane, but now I may have to rethink. Also applied on a whim to Maastricht University in the Netherlands and was accepted fairly quickly. Now the thought of being an international student is thrown into the mix...

Exciting times! Happy holidays, and good luck to all!

Just got an acceptance email from Pittsburgh!!!!! Short and sweet, said I would receive more info in the mail. Now I can take a freakin breath.

UPDATE: Just got an official acceptance letter from WUSTL with $25k in funding!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Just received my first acceptance to the M.S. Epidemiology program at Pitt!! That was my second choice next to the M.S. Infectious Disease and Microbiology (IDM) program and the e-mail says that the IDM program has not reached a decision yet, but at least I have an acceptance somewhere!

Update: Just received an e-mail saying that I was accepted into the IDM program at Pitt, too!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Received official letter from GWU and it was addressed to the wrong person...
Also saw on Facebook that someone I knew had been accepted into Yale's MPH program and I assumed it was for next Fall? So maybe Yale is sending out decisions this semester? I could be wrong and they could have been accepted for Spring but still thought I'd let you all know.

Undergrad School: California State University
Undergrad GPA: 3.699 Overall / 4.0 Major
Major/Minor: Health Administration
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V:165; Q:154; A:4.5 (Taken 11/10/14)

6 months Research Assistant for Behavioral Health at USC; 6 years EMT for ambulance service (promoted to Quality Improvement Coordinator position for 3 years); assisted in writing biostatistics lab manual (with focus on SPSS software and large data sets); Biostats tutor for Cal State. Hoping the quantitative experience offsets the less than stellar GRE quant score . . .

Applied: UC Berkeley, UCLA
Planning to Apply: Columbia, BU, Emory, SDSU (all HPM)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Hey, your experience is very competitive! Can I ask which tracks you applied for at UCLA and UCB?

First time posting. Here we go!
Undergrad School: State school in southern US
Undergrad GPA: 3.48 (graduate May 2015)
Major/Minor: Anthropology/Biology (Some elective courses in higher maths)
GRE (including date taken): 158V- 78% / 163Q- 83% / 3.5W- 38% ouch
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 8 Week Anthropology/Nutrition Project (did not publish), Almost 2 years volunteer work for local department of health (Mostly in TB and Epidemiology), A couple other less pertinent experiences
Interest: Social Epidemiology (more interested in numbers)

Applied to: UC Berkeley (Epidemiology/Biostatistics MPH), GWU (Community Oriented Primary Care MPH), University of San Francisco (MPH), UCLA (MPH), U Colorado Denver, Anschutz (MPH, Epidemiology), BU (MPH, Epidemiology), VCU (MPH),
SOPHAS submitted 11/1, but last recommendation did not come in until 12/1. Got confirmation by email from all programs (USFCa and VCU Not Applicable) by 12/5.

Applying to: USC
(MPH), UM Baltimore (MPH, Epidemiology Concentration)

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Hey! I was wondering which track did you choose for UCLA and USC?

Also saw on Facebook that someone I knew had been accepted into Yale's MPH program and I assumed it was for next Fall? So maybe Yale is sending out decisions this semester? I could be wrong and they could have been accepted for Spring but still thought I'd let you all know.
Really? Like an error name or a totally different person?

Same thing happened to me re: GWU acceptance letter addressed to the wrong name. #AWKWARD

Really? Like an error name or a totally different person?
Yes it was addressed to a totally different person. The email is generic and doesn't say department.
Same thing happened to me re: GWU acceptance letter addressed to the wrong name. #AWKWARD
I KNOW right?? Also unprofessional and definitely a poor impression. I mean I spent a lot of time filling out applications and they can't get their emails straight?
But anyway, a professor from GWU had emailed me before I got this email and I'm talking to her tomorrow so it's all good.

The same thing happened to me with Drexel. It wasn't an admissions decision but it was still awkward. Now I have to make sure all emails from schools are addressed to me before I start to freak out.

Wow! That is crazy! Just yesterday, a friend who is in a PsyD program received an email inviting her to interview for an internship placement, which is a really big deal. Ten minutes later she got an email saying that letter was mistakenly sent to ALL applicants and, Sorry, but she was actually not being offered an interview. She was disappointed by the rejection anyway, but it made it so much worse because she'd thought she did have an interview with them... so unprofessional.

Last edited:

That is nuts! So cruel. As if we didn't have enough to be anxious about, now we have to worry that our acceptances are legit and weren't sent by mistake!

That actually happened to me when I applied to undergrad, hopefully it won't happen again!

I just received an email from U of Maryland, College Park with the wrong name.