MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on BU guys!! I think I must not be getting in:(, I applied back in October for Epi...blast.

Did you apply to the MPH or PhD? I think only the MPH people have heard back so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats everyone on BU!! Great school!

Members don't see this ad :)
I go into Minnesota today! pretty shocked with my low GRE's and GPA woo!

Reactions: 11 users
MPH, oh weeeeeell. Not sure I am cut out for the Boston winter anyhow :).

Well I know BU is really big on fit, so they look for that a lot in your SoP. I also think this was only the first round of acceptances. My guess is that they will send out another round in January when they had originally planned to notify people :nod:.

I'll second oceanhue. It depends on the season; I took the GRE on November 5 and my scores were in in exactly 1 week. I think their website says up to 2 weeks. Everything was thus into SOPHAS by the 12th and verfied on the 19th, so one week. They say up to 4 weeks in peak periods. I think it's reasonable to expect within 2 weeks from what I'm seeing, bhr obviously I have no way of confirming that. Good luck!! I know the wait is excruciating.
Hi!
My account is COMPLETE. As of 12/17/14. However, it is not verified. Needless to say I'm really glad it will be verified by the end of December! I am very excited to see how I fair this go around. I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks for the replies!

***UPDATE: my SOPHAS application was verified Dec. 24, 2014***
(Quick turnaround for the holiday period)

So I'm thinking I will hear back from my programs in January. Wish me luck

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Undergrad School: Non-US School (India)
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor: Engineering
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.6
Grad Studies (if applicable): MBA (India), MSc - Health Economics (UK)
GRE (24/Nov/2014, V159, Q158, W5) or Other Test (TOEFL 113):
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

6 Years for a Global Healthcare Company as a Manager in Corporate Strategy
1 Year as an engineer for IBM
1 Year setting-up and running a start-up
2 years (parallel) of Health Policy and Lobbying experience.
4 years (parallel) various volunteering services

Applied: Harvard MPH
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

did any of y'all (when applying to emory) click the box that says you're applying for financial aid? it's on my to-do list on opus but cannot be done until the new year. not sure if that has to be done before receiving acceptance

did any of y'all (when applying to emory) click the box that says you're applying for financial aid? it's on my to-do list on opus but cannot be done until the new year. not sure if that has to be done before receiving acceptance
I think it says that for everyone. While they haven't explicitly said, I'm pretty confident that doesn't have to be done before a decision because, like you said, we can't even do it until 2015 and also because it would be a waste of time if we're not going there. It is weird that they put it on the to do list before issuing a decision

Well I know BU is really big on fit, so they look for that a lot in your SoP. I also think this was only the first round of acceptances. My guess is that they will send out another round in January when they had originally planned to notify people :nod:.
Very true. Thanks for the encouragement! I actually decided to withdraw yesterday after thinking it through, realized it was not the right fit anyway!

I'm not sure who asked about scholarships but I called BU and Columbia this morning and BU said that they send merit decisions with acceptance packages in January and that need based aid will be sent later in February maybe. Columbia said you would find out about merit scholarships separate from your admissions decisions but that it would be a similar time frame but that need based aid would be sent around March. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I have that too. I think they will still be sending out decisions before it is complete.

Very true. Thanks for the encouragement! I actually decided to withdraw yesterday after thinking it through, realized it was not the right fit anyway!

I understand! Location was a big factor for me when deciding where to apply, so that helped direct me a bit. Although I love it up there, the New England area is not for everybody!

I go into Minnesota today! pretty shocked with my low GRE's and GPA woo!
Nice! Thats my top choice school so I'm pretty anxious about hearing back from them. I haven't heard anything back yet, but I didn't get my application fully submitted until right before their priority deadline (11/30 for me), since I had to motivate my references to write their letters as they procrastinated a lot. When did you get everything in? I hope I don't have to wait much longer/

Undergrad School: Tulane University
Undergrad GPA: 3.8
Major/Minor: BS in Public Health and French Minor
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 153 Verbal, 153 Math, 4.5 Writing (Taken 10/12/2012)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): CDC fellow (started in Sept), worked for a pharma consulting company for a year, participant in undergraduate public health summer program at University of Michigan SPH, studied abroad in Switzerland and China in public health programs

Applied: Emory U (GLEPI, GH, GEH), Boston U (Global Health), U of Michigan (Global Epi, HMP), Georgia State U (Epi)
Accepted: Boston U (Global Health MPH), U of Michigan (Global Epi MPH)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Boston was first to confirm my application. University of Michigan emailed me twice - once to "recommend me for admission" to their Global Epi program and the second email was the official offer. They had some errors saying I was accepted into the HMP program on their Wolverine Access site...I had to ask them to verify which program I had actually gotten into. Boston emailed me yesterday about my admission, but official package will come in mail after the new year.

According to the University of Michigan's admitted student's FB page, they will send out separate communication about merit scholarships/financial aid in January.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just got my letter from Pittsburgh in the mail. It just provides more details on matriculation date and the enrollment deposit to secure a spot. It states, "Please note that Epidemiology MPH and MS students must provide their own sources of financial support. However, some student jobs might be available." So no funding. :(

That's kind of a bummer because I really liked their program and some of the research opportunities, but if Wash U is effectively giving me almost a year of free tuition, this might help to narrow down my choices...

Congrats!! What were your GPA and GRE, if you don't mind?

I had a 3.0 GPA, and low 150's for GRE scores. I sent in my application the night of the deadline!

I had a 3.0 GPA, and low 150's for GRE scores. I sent in my application the night of the deadline!
Ahhhhh that makes me nervous since my application was completed the night before the deadline, I have a 3.8 GPA and 160/154 GREs and I still haven't heard anything from them besides the email letting me know I got it in by the deadline. It could be due to department though, since I applied for the EHS program to concentrate in environmental epi, which department did you apply for?

I'm sure you'll hear some good news soon! And I applied to the PHAP program.

I have a feeling that due to the holidays we're not going to hear anything else until 2015. I'm gonna stop obsessing for a couple weeks and then I'll be back in full swing. See you all next year!

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations to all of you accepted up to this point, and much luck to those still waiting to hear!

Undergrad School:
Wichita State University
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Major/Minor: Communication Sciences and Disorders
GradGPA: N/A
Grad Studies: N/A
GRE: 01/2012, 157V, 148Q, 4.5
Experience/Research: 1 yr. assistant in medical research lab (publication), 1 yr. clinical research resulting in the top award for undergrad research at my university, and a regional poster presentation. 2 yrs. at an executive level of administration with a health clinic that provided care to underserved populations.

Applied: University of Kansas SOM and GWU--The correspondence with both was via email and phone.
Accepted: University of Kansas SOM and GWU
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A

I accepted the offer at GWU.

Last edited:
Congratulations to all of you accepted up to this point, and much luck to those still waiting to hear!

Undergrad School:
Wichita State University
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Major/Minor: Communication Sciences and Disorders
GradGPA: N/A
Grad Studies: N/A
GRE: 01/2012, 157V, 148Q, 4.5
Experience/Research: 1 yr. assistant in medical research lab (publication), 1 yr. clinical research resulting in the top award for undergrad research at my university, and a regional poster presentation. 2 yrs. at an executive level of administration with a health clinic that provided care to underserved populations.

Applied: University of Kansas SOM and GWU--The correspondence with both was via email and phone.
Accepted: University of Kansas SOM and GWU
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A

I accepted the offer at GWU.

Congratulations! D.C. is an interesting place to live. I lived there briefly last year and they really are fixing up some of the not so "great" areas. I also applied to GWU and I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I have a weird love/hate relationship with D.C.--lots to do and lots of opportunity if you overlook the crime.

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster. I basically only applied to GWU (long story), and I'm freaking out about acceptance. Then, I just got an email today from a student thanking me for my interest in the school and asking me if I had any questions regarding the program from a student perspective. Did that happen to anyone else? My sophas application is still in complete/not verified status and I don't want to get my hopes up if it means nothing... :)

Does NYU send out confirmation emails? Haven't heard anything from them yet.

Congratulations! D.C. is an interesting place to live. I lived there briefly last year and they really are fixing up some of the not so "great" areas. I also applied to GWU and I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I have a weird love/hate relationship with D.C.--lots to do and lots of opportunity if you overlook the crime.

Thanks for the input! I've been browsing the D.C. Craigslist and Trulia to get a better picture of the rental market out there. Have you had much communication with them to date?

Thanks for the input! I've been browsing the D.C. Craigslist and Trulia to get a better picture of the rental market out there. Have you had much communication with them to date?

If you're going to rent instead of participating in grad housing, try to stay out of SE and NE D.C. area. Actually, if I were you I would live in Virginia. It's only a short train ride from D.C. :)

No, I haven't had much communication with them. Just that they got my application. Kind of nervous now.

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster. I basically only applied to GWU (long story), and I'm freaking out about acceptance. Then, I just got an email today from a student thanking me for my interest in the school and asking me if I had any questions regarding the program from a student perspective. Did that happen to anyone else? My sophas application is still in complete/not verified status and I don't want to get my hopes up if it means nothing... :)
I got the same email a while back before I had even submitted my SOPHAS app

Just got my acceptance email from OSU! No word on fellowships, though.

Reactions: 9 users
I got into Tulane! I wasn't expecting any more school news until next month but I'm excited :)

Reactions: 5 users
Received official letter from GWU and it was addressed to the wrong person...
Also saw on Facebook that someone I knew had been accepted into Yale's MPH program and I assumed it was for next Fall? So maybe Yale is sending out decisions this semester? I could be wrong and they could have been accepted for Spring but still thought I'd let you all know.

Don't know if this was mentioned later on (I see I've missed a lot since I've been here last!!) but mine had the right name...but the wrong date to accept the offer. As in April 15, 2014, wrong - it's all OMG I MISSED THE DEADLINE BEFORE I EVEN APPLIED :zombie::zombie:. They sent out a corrected one, but in the corrected attachment file name, my last name was spelled wrong. :(

I love, love, love DC! Just a minor item regarding housing location. I wouldn't say avoid NE or SE entirely. I've lived in 3/4 quadrants (SW is the only one I haven't lived in - and it's the smallest), and I've lived mostly in NE or SE. Unfortunately, the demarcation for a lot of the high levels of poverty in DC is the Anacostia River. I have not lived east of the river. The only quadrants that extend east past the Anacostia River are NE and SE; sadly east of the river is considered more dangerous. I don't have any statistics to back that up. Indeed, you will certainly also find crime in areas with lots of nightlife.

I personally live in a quiet part of SE DC with lots of families and have done so for a year and a half - it's a pretty safe area. Prior to that, I lived in NE DC in an "up-and-coming" (read: gentrifying) area. It was not near a metro, though, so I wouldn't recommend that particular area. Definitely be aware of the distance to public transportation - even if you don't think you'll need it! I was near several buses, but that meant it took much longer to get everywhere. The area in NE used to have a very poor reputation but due to some heavy police presence years before I moved to DC, it became safer. Prior to that, I lived in area of NW DC that is also "up-and-coming", but I don't think it was any more or less safe than the area in NE. Sorry for being vague; I didn't want to give out too many identifying details about neighborhoods, but feel free to PM me if you want to hear my completely subjective take on areas!

Overall, I do agree that living in VA is a great choice; I work in VA and the commute to GW area is VERY, VERY short. Shorter than the commute from work to my house or my house to GW! Of course it depends how far out into Virginia you go...

Last edited:
Just got my first rejection from UPENN. Wasn't a top choice though so it's alright

I love, love, love DC! Just a minor item regarding housing location.....

Overall, I do agree that living in VA is a great choice; I work in VA and the commute to GW area is VERY, VERY short. Shorter than the commute from work to my house or my house to GW! Of course it depends how far out into Virginia you go...

Thank you so much for sharing your perspective. I may PM you soon to get more info.

I was accepted to Tulane today! They told me earlier that they will be sending out some other decisions before Christmas. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Undergrad School: UCSD
Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Major/Minor: Biochemistry and Cell Biology
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):V160, Q159, W4.5
- intern at a hospital for 1 year (270 hrs) where I had patient contact and aided RNs and NPs
- an officer for an anti-sex trafficking org on campus for 2 years
- intern at a food provider site for 4 months where I did surveys
- aid international students in improving their conversational Eng

SOPHAS verified 12/05
Applied: Emory 12/22 (Global Health), GWU 12/06 (Health Promotion), UC Berkeley 11/30 (IDV), Yale 01/14 (Epi of Microbial Diseases) , Columbia 01/14 (Epi, infect. disease concentration), U Pittsburgh 01/14 (Infectious Diseases & Microbiology), BU 1/30 (Global Health)
Accepted: Berkeley (1/10), GWU (1/13), Columbia (2/6), Emory (for my second choice), U Pittsburgh, BU
Rejected: Yale
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
I hope that all of y'all have a pleasant holiday season. I'm going to take a break from obsessively checking my email and this site to keep my sanity (haha). We should all be hearing from Yale in January, though. That seems like the typical time that folks start hearing back. Although, it seems like Yale is merciless with their rejections :lame:

Good luck to everyone!

Here goes nothing :(

Undergrad School: HYPSM
Undergrad GPA: 3.0 (ouch, I know...), but with my post-bacc (which got me an associate's degree) it goes up to 3.2
Major/Minor: Economics / Business
GradGPA (if applicable): 4.0
Grad Studies (if applicable): Started a Masters in Finance, dropped out because I was very much DONE with finance >__<
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 06/2013, 164V (93%) / 163Q (86%) / 5.0 AW
- internships in product marketing and investment banking x3
- 2 years research with Harvard Business School (name wasn't on paper though, sobsob)
- 1 year work experience in M&A consulting
- 1 year work experience in public relations / business development
- have run several of my own companies ("entrepreneurial ventures") since I was 16
- volunteer at local hospital in med/surg
- used to be a professional dancer (not health-related, but related to what I want to focus on - eating disorders, body dysmorphia, etc.)

Applied: UT School of Public Health - Houston, Tufts University, UMass Amherst, University of North Texas, Boston University
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Mainly terrified at my GPA and lack of health-related work experience :( The Tufts MS Nutrition/MPH dual degree program is my #1 choice, but I don't think I have the credentials to get in at all.

Last edited:

Undergrad GPA: 3.0 (ouch, I know...), but with my post-bacc (which got me an associate's degree) it goes up to 3.2
Grad Studies (if applicable): Started a Masters in Finance, dropped out because I was very much DONE with finance >__<
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 06/2013, 164V (93%) / 163Q (86%) / 5.0 AW
- 2 years research with Harvard Business School (name wasn't on paper though, sobsob)
- have run several of my own companies ("entrepreneurial ventures") since I was 16
- used to be a professional dancer (not health-related, but related to what I want to focus on - eating disorders, body dysmorphia, etc.)

Applied: UT School of Public Health - Houston, Tufts University, UMass Amherst, University of North Texas
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Mainly terrified at my GPA and lack of health-related work experience :( The Tufts MS Nutrition/MPH dual degree program is my #1 choice, but I don't think I have the credentials to get in at all.

You may find yourself pleasantly surprised! MPH programs are notorious for accepting people with a wide range of stats and qualifications. They really do look at the big picture. If you wrote a compelling SoP, you could have a very good shot! Plus you have pretty good GRE scores, so that balances out the average (but definitely not bad) GPA. My GPA was only slightly higher than yours and my GRE was a bit lower. I've been accepted to a couple of places already! Good luck as you go through this process!

I hope that all of y'all have a pleasant holiday season. I'm going to take a break from obsessively checking my email and this site to keep my sanity (haha). We should all be hearing from Yale in January, though. That seems like the typical time that folks start hearing back. Although, it seems like Yale is merciless with their rejections :lame:

Good luck to everyone!

Hahaha, I just got an email from them letting me know their office will be closed and wishing me happy holidays - nice and all, but don't scare me like that!!

Undergrad School: Northwestern University (1991)
Undergrad GPA: 3.5 butwill be higher if they use my study abroad grades
Major/Minor: History
GradGPA
(if applicable): 3.5
Grad Studies (if applicable): MBA
GRE 155 Q - 166 - V still waiting on rest 12/15 or Other Test (if applicable):
Experience/Research Marketing and brand management, community work in health and wellness with multiple organizations. Community work while stay at home mom for 10 years (gulp). 46 years old so a non traditional student.

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Applied: Emory - that's it - all the eggs in one basket as live in ATL. If rejected might consider GSU
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

You may find yourself pleasantly surprised! MPH programs are notorious for accepting people with a wide range of stats and qualifications. They really do look at the big picture. If you wrote a compelling SoP, you could have a very good shot! Plus you have pretty good GRE scores, so that balances out the average (but definitely not bad) GPA. My GPA was only slightly higher than yours and my GRE was a bit lower. I've been accepted to a couple of places already! Good luck as you go through this process!

I agree with this! You have some awesome credentials!! It also sounds like (to me, anyways) that from the correlation between your dancing background alone and what you mentioned about wanting to study eating disorders and body dysmorphia, you have a passion for the field of study you're looking to pursue. Not that GRE scores are the end-all of ability, but I can guess that you're a pretty strong writer and very probably had a compelling SOP.

Applied: UT School of Public Health - Houston, Tufts University, UMass Amherst, University of North Texas
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I'll echo what others are saying. I went to a public undergrad and majored in finance; most of my experience is in business. I do have a few science classes, but no significant health experience. I've gotten into Pitt and WashU so far, with a scholarship to WashU. As long as your SOP clearly outlines your fit for the programs you're applying to and how you can transfer your skill set, as well as your motivation, you should be more than fine. I wouldn't be surprised if you got into all of these!

GradGPA
Experience/Research Marketing and brand management, community work in health and wellness with multiple organizations. Community work while stay at home mom for 10 years (gulp). 46 years old so a non traditional student.

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Applied: Emory - that's it - all the eggs in one basket as live in ATL. If rejected might consider GSU
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Yay for non-traditional students! I wish you the best of luck!

GradGPA

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Oooh, which MPH concentration at Emory? I decided not to apply to Emory for a really dumb, possibly not even true reason; I doubt there will there be enough snow to make me happy. Anyways...the point of that was to say that I'm not too familiar with the specific programs.

In general, however, I am seriously in awe of all the awesomeness I'm seeing from everyone's profiles. I am appreciative that MPH programs seem committed to building a really diverse class in terms of pre-program experiences. It's pretty cool that we'll have classmates who've just finished undergrad bringing science and research backgrounds, as well as classmates who've spent many years out in the field working. Both groups certainly have experiences that make me envious.

I'm only a few years out of undergrad myself, with little public health experience, but will have three years of full-time work experience before starting - though in an unrelated field. I think this was more of a help to me than I realized in applying since it gave me a way to express a similar determination and doggedness as others with a strong research background.

This is why I think you have a great shot. Subjective assessment of course, but I think you have a lot of experience and qualities that schools are interested in. Your academic background is pretty darn good, too!

Okay, I'm going to cool it now. < /soapbox >

I wish you the best of luck and definitely hope to hear good news from you!

GradGPA

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Out of curiosity, why didn't you go ahead and apply to GSU since you're only looking at schools in Atlanta? They are on their way to becoming an official school (CEPH accredited as a program, but have applied to become a school I believe). Plus, the cost is not bad at all. Although Emory is an excellent program and may be my #1 choice, I ended up just applying to both since staying in the area would be ideal.

Oooh, which MPH concentration at Emory? I decided not to apply to Emory for a really dumb, possibly not even true reason; I doubt there will there be enough snow to make me happy. Anyways...the point of that was to say that I'm not too familiar with the specific programs.

In general, however, I am seriously in awe of all the awesomeness I'm seeing from everyone's profiles. I am appreciative that MPH programs seem committed to building a really diverse class in terms of pre-program experiences. It's pretty cool that we'll have classmates who've just finished undergrad bringing science and research backgrounds, as well as classmates who've spent many years out in the field working. Both groups certainly have experiences that make me envious.

I'm only a few years out of undergrad myself, with little public health experience, but will have three years of full-time work experience before starting - though in an unrelated field. I think this was more of a help to me than I realized in applying since it gave me a way to express a similar determination and doggedness as others with a strong research background.

This is why I think you have a great shot. Subjective assessment of course, but I think you have a lot of experience and qualities that schools are interested in. Your academic background is pretty darn good, too!

Okay, I'm going to cool it now. < /soapbox >

I wish you the best of luck and definitely hope to hear good news from you!

If you need snow, Atlanta is not the place to come! I've lived up here for about five years and we have only had snow two of those years. Last year we got about three inches and the entire city shut down. It was actually a pretty big mess. Snow does not mix well with people down here in the South!

OH, THIS JUST OCCURRED TO ME - I feel like this may have been mentioned elsewhere, but I wanted to go all PSA on you guys who are applying to GW. You've probably seen this in your dealings with them as well.

If you are under the age of 26, DC law requires students in the district to have an up-to-date immunization record with proof of the following vaccinations (pulled this list off American U website, but it's the same throughout the district): http://www.american.edu/ocl/healthcenter/Immunization-FAQs.cfm

This does count for private and public higher education institutions. Definitely do not neglect staying on top of this if you are choosing GW. This summer I wanted to take ONE community college class in DC and this was a major pain in my backside. I ended up not needing to take the class, but I probably wouldn't have been able to anyways considering all the delays I had in locating my records, actually getting them from previous out-of-state physicians, finding out they were incomplete or poorly kept, oh - and getting the actual immunizations. My small solace is that I've just turned 26 and am freeeeeeeeee. Oh well, I'm up-to-date on my immunizations now. :p:D