MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted to Emory! Global Health: Sexual and Reproductive Health & Population Studies YAY!! :) I am sure many of you will see your acceptances soon too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 17 users
I think they're just waiting for people like me lol. My sophas is not verified so they won't send me the supplemental application. It says online as long as your sophas is complete by 1/15/15 you'll be considered. Seems like they review them all at the same time and not as they come in.

Understandable. I think they do them in two pools because on grad cafe I see that about 3 people already received their admissions decisions. One was for an MPH an the other two were for PhD...those decisions went out right before Christmas so Im assuming those people probably had their applications in prior to October. I didnt complete my supplemental until the first week of December. Also, word of advice, they are gonna ask you to mail an official transcript to them (EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE IT AS PART OF SOPHAS APP AHHHHHH!!!!!). Thats what took me so long to get my supplemental in. are u still waiting on recommendations?

Reactions: 1 users
They say by mid-march. Grad cafe has historical data. I just did the finaid app and it was really simple. The fafsa has to go to everyone, so might as well get it out of the way.

thats kind of absurd when we had to apply by December 15th and have to make a decision by April 15th.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thats kind of absurd when we had to apply by December 15th and have to make a decision by April 15th.

Yep... The earliest HSPH I see is late Feb. You have to consider that Harvard, Columbia, and Johns Hopkins probably get the highest volume of applicants. Emory probably gets a lot of applicants, too, though, and they've started sending out a lot of decisions, so I don't know.

Understandable. I think they do them in two pools because on grad cafe I see that about 3 people already received their admissions decisions. One was for an MPH an the other two were for PhD...those decisions went out right before Christmas so Im assuming those people probably had their applications in prior to October. I didnt complete my supplemental until the first week of December. Also, word of advice, they are gonna ask you to mail an official transcript to them (EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE IT AS PART OF SOPHAS APP AHHHHHH!!!!!). Thats what took me so long to get my supplemental in. are u still waiting on recommendations?
my recommendations were just put in last week. That's crazy that you had to send transcripts. On the epi/biostat FAQ page it specifically says you do not have to send them transcripts directly.

Congrats!! For both your sake and my (selfish) sake, I really hope Maryland doesn't actually wait until mid-March!
OH MY GOD maryland CANNOT wait that long. (I mean, they can...but they shouldn't.) I will go crazy. Though, to be fair, I'm anxious waiting for Emory to mail me my acceptance packet because I'm convinced OPUS is playing some cruel and horrible joke on me.

That's also what held me up! Except, it said for mine to not mail in the official transcript; it said to SCAN it in. I had to request an official transcript be sent to me from my undergrad, and then had to scan it in and upload it...why??? Then I had to pay $75.

my recommendations were just put in last week. That's crazy that you had to send transcripts. On the epi/biostat FAQ page it specifically says you do not have to send them transcripts directly.
yeah well. i worded it wrong, U have to upload an official transcript, so i had to order one and send it to myself and then upload it. it just made no sense because transcripts are apart of your SOPHAS application so i was pretty pissed I didnt know I needed to have a copy of an official one because I could have ordered it way earlier.
That's also what held me up! Except, it said for mine to not mail in the official transcript; it said to SCAN it in. I had to request an official transcript be sent to me from my undergrad, and then had to scan it in and upload it...why??? Then I had to pay $75.
yea. I clarified in my above post that I had to scan one. that $75 hurt me so bad lol omg. If i would have done my research tho it does state on their website that there is a $75 fee.

For those of you who have been through interviews for your programs, what sort of questions were asked? I am going to have a phone interview with the University of Washington and I am wondering what I should prepare for.

Thanks!

Accepted to BU! Just waiting on Emory now.

Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone who applied to BU for Social and Behavioral Sciences heard back yet?

yeah well. i worded it wrong, U have to upload an official transcript, so i had to order one and send it to myself and then upload it. it just made no sense because transcripts are apart of your SOPHAS application so i was pretty pissed I didnt know I needed to have a copy of an official one because I could have ordered it way earlier.

yea. I clarified in my above post that I had to scan one. that $75 hurt me so bad lol omg. If i would have done my research tho it does state on their website that there is a $75 fee.

Ugh, I did know about the $75 but I am grumbling on principle! Grrrr

Finally... my Emory application has been sent to my 1st departmental choice for review. Wish me luck...I know it's a long shot (for me), but I'm hoping lady luck is on my side! I'm going to be checking Opus nonstop:nailbiting:...3-6 weeks feels so far away from now, haha.

On another note, has anyone recently heard from UGA? I know a couple of people on this thread heard back in the fall, but I haven't heard a peep from the admissions since the confirmation email they sent me in November.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally... my Emory application has been sent to my 1st departmental choice for review. Wish me luck...I know it's a long shot (for me), but I'm hoping lady luck is on my side! I'm going to be checking Opus nonstop:nailbiting:...3-6 weeks feels so far away from now, haha.

On another note, has anyone recently heard from UGA? I know a couple of people on this thread heard back in the fall, but I haven't heard a peep from the admissions since the confirmation email they sent me in November.

Wait, I submitted my application in November and I still haven't received notification that my application has been routed to my 1st departmental choice...

Maybe yours will be routed sometime this week/soon? Maybe the timing may also have to do with the departments you chose, not just the date of verification. My ranking was (1) Global Environmental Health, (2) Environmental Health, and (3) Global Health.

Maybe yours will be routed sometime this week/soon? Maybe the timing may also have to do with the departments you chose, not just the date of verification. My ranking was (1) Global Environmental Health, (2) Environmental Health, and (3) Global Health.

Hmm, didn't think of that. My rankings were 1) glepi, 2) global health, and 3) global enviro health.

Hmm, didn't think of that. My rankings were 1) glepi, 2) global health, and 3) global enviro health.

I submitted everything in mid december and my first choice was glepi. I heard about a week later that it was sent to the department, so you might want to look back through your emails or think about contacting the school.

When you fill out the application, there's two or three that specify "sons" or "males" in the "descendants" categories. I wasn't eligible for any of them, but I know the HSPH has their own scholarships as well, and I also am not expecting to get in.

People keep saying "Oh, what's your first choice?" When I don't answer with Harvard, these MDs, my father's colleagues, are almost agast. It's not that it isn't my first choice, it's that I try to live within the realm of, you know, reality. -- Also, that was the most poorly constructed sentence I've written in about a decade. Sorry about that.

Reactions: 2 users
I applied late, Dec. 15 for Harvard and GW, Jan 4 for Emory, Pitt, Yale, Tufts, BU. My dad's birthday is on Friday, I just hope I can give him some good news as a gift, because his Medicare Part A is the only other thing he's getting.

People keep saying "Oh, what's your first choice?" When I don't answer with Harvard, these MDs, my father's colleagues, are almost agast. It's not that it isn't my first choice, it's that I try to live within the realm of, you know, reality. -- Also, that was the most poorly constructed sentence I've written in about a decade. Sorry about that.

That's exactly how I feel! I just try and think about what is actually possible and have another first choice besides Harvard and hope for the best lol of course it's my dream school but then again it's most people's dream school. Here's to hoping

Yep, exactly. Of course I would love to get into Johns Hopkins or Harvard and I would definitely go there if I got in... but I'm really not expecting to, so I'm not going to get myself worked up over it. I was more anxious about Emory and Pittsburgh because I knew those were really good schools that I could possibly get into, but it wasn't for certain. I'm nervous about Columbia, but I know the decision won't come until at least mid-Feb and I'd rather go to Emory due to cost of living, unless Columbia has a sweet financial aid package. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting into Harvard or Johns Hopkins, so I'm just not putting as much weight on either of those (though I do fantasize about living in Boston and going to Harvard every now and again...).

Yep, exactly. Of course I would love to get into Johns Hopkins or Harvard and I would definitely go there if I got in... but I'm really not expecting to, so I'm not going to get myself worked up over it. I was more anxious about Emory and Pittsburgh because I knew those were really good schools that I could possibly get into, but it wasn't for certain. I'm nervous about Columbia, but I know the decision won't come until at least mid-Feb and I'd rather go to Emory due to cost of living, unless Columbia has a sweet financial aid package. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting into Harvard or Johns Hopkins, so I'm just not putting as much weight on either of those (though I do fantasize about living in Boston and going to Harvard every now and again...).

Half of my family is from Boston, though they don't live there any more. So, thanks to my grandparents, I was born into Boston sports fandom. I was given no choice, it is how it is. I am currently watching the Bruins instead of studying, because Boston. All I've ever wanted was to live in Boston and date all of the Pats/Bruins/Red Sox. Nope, I don't even care what that makes me, because the only answer is a liberated woman.

Reactions: 6 users
Half of my family is from Boston, though they don't live there any more. So, thanks to my grandparents, I was born into Boston sports fandom. I was given no choice, it is how it is. I am currently watching the Bruins instead of studying, because Boston. All I've ever wanted was to live in Boston and date all of the Pats/Bruins/Red Sox. Nope, I don't even care what that makes me, because the only answer is a liberated woman.

Hahahaha!! Not big on sports but that last sentance made me laugh!:laugh:

Well, here's to hoping... :xf:

For those of you who have been through interviews for your programs, what sort of questions were asked? I am going to have a phone interview with the University of Washington and I am wondering what I should prepare for.

Thanks!
What did you apply for at UWash?

Has anyone applied to/heard from Oregon State University? I saw that two people heard back from the Epi program on grad cafe and it's making anxious to hear back from heir global health program!

Hey. Hi. How is everyone? I haven't posted in so long...

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows if Emory sends out a welcome packet or has an accepted students day? I will definitely want to visit and want to plan my vacation schedule.

Did I mention I'm a compulsive planner?

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows if Emory sends out a welcome packet or has an accepted students day? I will definitely want to visit and want to plan my vacation schedule.

Yeah! They have an accepted students day (or two days) called Visit Emory. It's March 26 and 27th this year. Now all I need is to actually get in haha

Just got my acceptance to Boston University! Pretty sure my heart is set on moving to Texas though.

Reactions: 5 users
Undergrad School: big ten
Undergrad GPA: 3.0
Major/Minor: psychology
GRE 152Q 156V 5 AW
Experience/Research
-research assistant in lab 1 year
-internship with suicide prevention 1 year
-lots of volunteering and leadership through student organizations
-peer lecturer

Applied: Boston, Minnesota, OSU, UPenn, UT health sciences houston, Wash U, George Washington, Kentucky, Oregon (all for health management)
Accepted: Boston, OSU, UT health sciences houston, Wash U, Kentucky, Minnesota, Dartmouth, Oregon
Rejected: U Penn
Waitlisted:

Last edited:

My Emory timeline

SOPHAS app completed = 11/30/14
SOPHAS app verified = 12/3/14
Emory app e-submitted = 12/8/14
"Emory app received and OPUS login" email = 12/14/14
"Emory app completed and forwarded to GH" email = 12/16/14
Found out my decision = 1/7/14

There's no date on the acceptance letter so I really don't know when I was actually accepted

The "completed and forwarded to dept" email does say:

"Your final decision status will be updated in OPUS. Only "admit" and "deny" decisions can be viewed on this portal. Waitlisted students will be contacted separately. An official acceptance letter will be mailed to all admitted students. This could take a few days or up to several weeks (depending upon location) after an online decision has been posted."

Still haven't received an actual acceptance letter. It could have been mailed to either my parents' or me, but we all live in NC which isn't that far from GA. And I haven't received an email about any visits or scholarship info or financial aid or anything after that "completed and forwarded" email.

Undergrad School: Large state school
Undergrad GPA: 3.13
Major/Minor: Geography and Environmental Studies with a specialization in Sustainable Development
GRE 151Q 143V 4 AW
Experience/Research
- over one year experience as a research assistant at a national data center
- six month internship as health coordinator for international refugee center
- six month study abroad work experience
- over one year community resource manager at non-profit
- over six years experience working as a hospital volunteer

Applied: Boston, Minnesota, CU-Denver, Columbia, and University of Alaska (mostly all Environmental Health) SOPHAS verified on 12/24
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I know my GPA and my quant score are on the lower side, but really hopeful my references and experience will help me out! Good luck to everyone :) anxious to hear something back!!

Undergrad School: big ten
Undergrad GPA: 3.0
Major/Minor: psychology
GRE 152Q 156V 5 AW
Experience/Research
-research assistant in lab 1 year
-internship with suicide prevention 1 year
-lots of volunteering and leadership through student organizations
-peer lecturer

Applied: Boston, Minnesota, OSU, UPenn, UT health sciences houston, Wash U, George Washington, Kentucky (all for health management)
Accepted: Boston, OSU, UT health sciences houston, Wash U, Kentucky, Minnesota
Rejected: U Penn
Waitlisted:

Congrats on hearing back from so many different schools!! I'm anxious to hear back from Boston and Minnesota...about how long did it take from your application being complete to hearing back? Thanks!!!

My Emory timeline

SOPHAS app completed = 11/30/14
SOPHAS app verified = 12/3/14
Emory app e-submitted = 12/8/14
"Emory app received and OPUS login" email = 12/14/14
"Emory app completed and forwarded to GH" email = 12/16/14
Found out my decision = 1/7/14

There's no date on the acceptance letter so I really don't know when I was actually accepted

The "completed and forwarded to dept" email does say:

"Your final decision status will be updated in OPUS. Only "admit" and "deny" decisions can be viewed on this portal. Waitlisted students will be contacted separately. An official acceptance letter will be mailed to all admitted students. This could take a few days or up to several weeks (depending upon location) after an online decision has been posted."

Still haven't received an actual acceptance letter. It could have been mailed to either my parents' or me, but we all live in NC which isn't that far from GA. And I haven't received an email about any visits or scholarship info or financial aid or anything after that "completed and forwarded" email.

Thanks! I should've gone back and re-read that e-mail. That's comforting.

Yeah! They have an accepted students day (or two days) called Visit Emory. It's March 26 and 27th this year. Now all I need is to actually get in haha

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I did verify that on the website as well last night after doing some digging. Hope to see you there!! :) I am going to schedule some vacation time now, ha. Then maybe drive down and see my friends in Savannah.

I applied for the MPH Nutrition and Dietetics program! I think I'm just interviewing for the dietetics portion. What did you apply for?
Hi there! I applied for MPH in Epidemiology (general track). When did you hear back from them?
Also, did they contact you via email for a phone interview?
UWash is the only one I have applied to and the wait is just killing me!

Congrats on hearing back from so many different schools!! I'm anxious to hear back from Boston and Minnesota...about how long did it take from your application being complete to hearing back? Thanks!!!

I submitted boston 12/04 and minnesota 11/30. I heard back from minnesota december 18th and boston today!

Hi there! I applied for MPH in Epidemiology (general track). When did you hear back from them?
Also, did they contact you via email for a phone interview?
UWash is the only one I have applied to and the wait is just killing me!

Hey! I heard from the yesterday via email. I really think it's just for the dietetics internship I applied for and that we won't be hearing from them before mid-February at the absolute earliest. But they're my top choice and I know how you feel I just want to know!!

Hey! I heard from the yesterday via email. I really think it's just for the dietetics internship I applied for and that we won't be hearing from them before mid-February at the absolute earliest. But they're my top choice and I know how you feel I just want to know!!
Oh I see. I too have heard they usually do not contact before mid-feb. There are so many applicants for other schools- easier to find out information but UWash, not sure why there aren't nearly as many applicants or information.

Oh I feel you, I'm Boston girl myself (born there and lived there until I moved to California) and I'm dying to get into one of the New England schools I applied to partly because I need to justify my love of the Patriots (YESSS SUPERBOWL 49). Obviously I applied to all the schools on my list because I love their programs, but other reasons are a major plus. :D

Hi & congrats to everyone who has gotten an acceptance already!

I haven't seen much information on this thread about west coast schools and was wondering if anyone had heard back from the following?

UCSF - Global Health
USC - MSGM
UW - MPH in Global Health
Georgetown - MSGH
U of Hawaii - MPH

Any feedback is appreciated!

Hi all,

I was accepted into a few schools for Mph in Epi of infectious disease/microbial disease and I'm looking for opinions concerning a few of them (good or bad). I plan on visiting most of these schools.

First is UPitt: I hear great things about the school and people falling in love with the city. The class offerings at the school are tremendous and the school has a great background in math and science. I'm drawn to the fact that it is a city bc in theory cities should offer more in the way for public health. The name doesn't seem as prominent as the others that I'm looking at. And I don't to want be the person to make a judgement on name but I'm realizing it can be a factor.

GWU: a great school and located in DC which I love and is close to home. If I was doing policy or health administration I wouldn't think twice about going there. There is obviously a lot of internship opportunities and Foggy bottom is a very nice area of DC living wise. I visited and they have just constructed a new building for the soph. To me, it felt middle of the road when I was visiting. Cost of living is high which is a negative. It seemed that a decent amount of research is dedicated to HIV/AIDS (understably) but that's not a research area that I am interested in at the moment.

Yale: Yale has a small program which I am very interested in. I come from a large research school (>50% premed kids)and I'm a bit tired of the competition and large classes. I would do the global health certificate and I read in other forums that an internship abroad is easy to access. The student faculty ratio is low making research seem easier and my research interests align with many of the faculty's. My only concerns are the fact that it's not in a major city and how many internships/related part time work I could do during my schooling.

I still haven't heard back from Emory which is killing me bc they are a very important school to consider.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I have read through much of this forum and learned a lot from it. I'm sure my post is repetitive in some aspects. Sorry :/

Thank you! And congrats on everyone's acceptances!

Hi all,

I was accepted into a few schools for Mph in Epi of infectious disease/microbial disease and I'm looking for opinions concerning a few of them (good or bad). I plan on visiting most of these schools.

First is UPitt: I hear great things about the school and people falling in love with the city. The class offerings at the school are tremendous and the school has a great background in math and science. I'm drawn to the fact that it is a city bc in theory cities should offer more in the way for public health. The name doesn't seem as prominent as the others that I'm looking at. And I don't to want be the person to make a judgement on name but I'm realizing it can be a factor.

GWU: a great school and located in DC which I love and is close to home. If I was doing policy or health administration I wouldn't think twice about going there. There is obviously a lot of internship opportunities and Foggy bottom is a very nice area of DC living wise. I visited and they have just constructed a new building for the soph. To me, it felt middle of the road when I was visiting. Cost of living is high which is a negative. It seemed that a decent amount of research is dedicated to HIV/AIDS (understably) but that's not a research area that I am interested in at the moment.

Yale: Yale has a small program which I am very interested in. I come from a large research school (<50% premed kids)and I'm a bit tired of the competition and large classes. I would do the global health certificate and I read in other forums that an internship abroad is easy to access. The student faculty ratio is low making research seem easier and my research interests align with many of the faculty's. My only concerns are the fact that it's not in a major city and how many internships/related part time work I could do during my schooling.

I still haven't heard back from Emory which is killing me bc they are a very important school to consider.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I have read through much of this forum and learned a lot from it. I'm sure my post is repetitive in some aspects. Sorry :/

Wow those are all wonderful schools. I can't offer much insight, but I have a probably annoying question. When did you hear back from yale?

Hi all,

Yale: Yale has a small program which I am very interested in. I come from a large research school (>50% premed kids)and I'm a bit tired of the competition and large classes. I would do the global health certificate and I read in other forums that an internship abroad is easy to access. The student faculty ratio is low making research seem easier and my research interests align with many of the faculty's. My only concerns are the fact that it's not in a major city and how many internships/related part time work I could do during my schooling.

Regarding Yale, I know they have a list of places where past students have interned. These are all great schools and I personally don't think you could go wrong with any of them. For me what it would come down to is where I think I would fit in the best, and finances. I know Pitt does not offer any funding for masters students so that is something to consider. I don't know what the policy is at GWU or Yale. What kind of infectious disease research are you interested in? I too am interested in infectious disease so my decision is going to be based a lot on who my advisor is and what research is being done in the area that I want to get into. Good luck making your decision!

Wow those are all wonderful schools. I can't offer much insight, but I have a probably annoying question. When did you hear back from yale?

I heard back Jan 8th. I don't understand the acceptance announcement process really lol

Regarding Yale, I know they have a list of places where past students have interned. These are all great schools and I personally don't think you could go wrong with any of them. For me what it would come down to is where I think I would fit in the best, and finances. I know Pitt does not offer any funding for masters students so that is something to consider. I don't know what the policy is at GWU or Yale. What kind of infectious disease research are you interested in? I too am interested in infectious disease so my decision is going to be based a lot on who my advisor is and what research is being done in the area that I want to get into. Good luck making your decision!
HI! I was mostly looking for research in tropical disease. (I probably should have applied to Tulane but I just didnt) I'm also interested in Yale research in vector borne disease. They have a lot of work with Lyme disease obviously lol. I just didn't want to get trapped in STD research bc I worry that it could easily turn into community health which while extremely important, I'm just not interest in. I UPitt has a nice research center for pharmaceutical epi which is interesting.

Hi all,

Good considerations. I'd be interested to know your opinion on Emory, as well.

It's a very hard decision to make because your choice will have a huge impact on your life and your future and it's not possible to predict 100% which school will give you the best outcomes. But I think it can be estimated. I'm actually working on a formula now to determine which school will be the best option based on finances, prestige, faculty, interest level, recreation, student organizations, opportunities, city/region data, estimated happiness, etc. I'll post the formula once I get it more refined and maybe it can help you and others with your decision. It obviously wont' be the deciding factor in anything, but I'm just trying to see my options more clearly and carefully consider all aspects. And that means I need numbers. I'll try to have it posted by the end of February.

And congrats on your acceptances!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi all,

The only one I applied to on this list was Pitt. I talked to several people on the phone and through e-mail and visited the school. Below is my bullet pointed pro/con list:

Pros:
    • The city has a lot of great resources, including UPMC. Also, there are several other universities in the area and they have a reciprocal agreement with at least Carnegie Mellon where you can take classes there as part of your Pitt tuition.
    • A lot of people say they love Pittsburgh. I wasn't there for long enough to know, but it seems to be a diverse, younger population and people seem to be nicer than other areas.
    • Excellent cost of living.
  • One of the older programs with long-standing relationships both in the area and across the country; this makes for great practicum opportunities. It seems like they work hard at trying to match you up with solid opportunities in your area of concentration.
  • Staff seems student focused, helpful, and very friendly.
  • Wide array of course options and specialization opportunities for epi.
  • You can go directly from the masters to the PhD program if you choose to apply while you are there.
Cons:
  • 0 funding for masters students in epi.
  • City is cold, gray, rainy, snowy. I'm not sure where you're from, but I'm from Cincinnati, and that's the only school on my list with worse weather (and that includes Boston and Baltimore; for me "worse" incorporates amount of gray hours vs. sunshine hours).
  • Building is really old and crappy. They're going to start remodeling soon. I know this seems trivial, but if you're spending so many hours there, environment does become a factor.
My take on Pitt is that it is an excellent school and I was very excited to get in. However, given that they give no master's scholarships and WashU gave me $25k, and I got into Emory, they've been knocked off my list. If I get no scholarships, I'd rather pay full price for Emory than Pitt, and WashU has an excellent overall reputation and would be $40k less total.

I don't know much about Yale or GWU's programs because I did not apply to them. It ultimately depends what you want to do. If you want to go immediately into the field, any of those schools will work. You will get a job. Your main concern should be available internship/research opportunities in your area of interest and curbing debt. If you want to go on to further schooling (PhD, MD, etc.), you'll want to consider brand name a bit more, but all of those will still be solid.

Reactions: 3 users
The only one I applied to on this list was Pitt. I talked to several people on the phone and through e-mail and visited the school. Below is my bullet pointed pro/con list:

Pros:
    • The city has a lot of great resources, including UPMC. Also, there are several other universities in the area and they have a reciprocal agreement with at least Carnegie Mellon where you can take classes there as part of your Pitt tuition.
    • A lot of people say they love Pittsburgh. I wasn't there for long enough to know, but it seems to be a diverse, younger population and people seem to be nicer than other areas.
    • Excellent cost of living.
  • One of the older programs with long-standing relationships both in the area and across the country; this makes for great practicum opportunities. It seems like they work hard at trying to match you up with solid opportunities in your area of concentration.
  • Staff seems student focused, helpful, and very friendly.
  • Wide array of course options and specialization opportunities for epi.
  • You can go directly from the masters to the PhD program if you choose to apply while you are there.
Cons:
  • 0 funding for masters students in epi.
  • City is cold, gray, rainy, snowy. I'm not sure where you're from, but I'm from Cincinnati, and that's the only school on my list with worse weather (and that includes Boston and Baltimore; for me "worse" incorporates amount of gray hours vs. sunshine hours).
  • Building is really old and crappy. They're going to start remodeling soon. I know this seems trivial, but if you're spending so many hours there, environment does become a factor.
My take on Pitt is that it is an excellent school and I was very excited to get in. However, given that they give no master's scholarships and WashU gave me $25k, and I got into Emory, they've been knocked off my list. If I get no scholarships, I'd rather pay full price for Emory than Pitt, and WashU has an excellent overall reputation and would be $40k less total.

I don't know much about Yale or GWU's programs because I did not apply to them. It ultimately depends what you want to do. If you want to go immediately into the field, any of those schools will work. You will get a job. Your main concern should be available internship/research opportunities in your area of interest and curbing debt. If you want to go on to further schooling (PhD, MD, etc.), you'll want to consider brand name a bit more, but all of those will still be solid.
Thank you for that list! I agree, if you're paying full then Emory is more for your money. I didn't know that UPitt allows you to go into the PhD, that's great to know. Along with the Carnegie mellon class options.
Also I noticed that you had Baltimore on your list. I live md and have interned at UMMC. Baltimore as a city, is not my favorite. The trashy areas are larger than the nice ones (the inner Harbor) . If you're looking at Johns Hopkins then the education is well worth it but I don't believe that UMDs public health program is worth it. It's just too small at the moment. This is just my opinion (always weigh your own opinion the most lol) and I do know many people who love Baltimore to death.