MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my first rejection from Pitt for epi. Definitely feels like crap, but at least I know I'm going somewhere. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that! I just went back to review your stats...I'm honestly taken back! Princeton, great GPA, and definitely competitive GRE scores.

Still, both Tulane and Michigan are AWESOME programs. Tulane is just as good as Emory in GH, and equally respected internationally.

At least that's better than a flat out rejection! And as others stated, Tulane has an excellent GH program so you have some great options open to you. Looking at your stats though, I'm actually very surprised you have two waitlists.

Aw, thanks guys! Reading your comments made me feel better about being waitlisted. Forwarded the news to my mom and she replied: "I don't get it - you should just do a PhD or go to med school" #nothelpful But yea, waitlisted is definitely better than a flat-out rejection so I guess it's good that I would happily go to any of the six schools that I applied to.

A hunch that I have about why I wasn't accepted is that I don't have any direct public health experience and I know these MPH programs are big on that. Who knows..

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got waitlisted, then there's no hope for me!

Haha! Don't lose hope. As mentioned, I don't have any direct public health experience so that's probably part of the reason why I'm getting waitlisted. I'm not too surprised that I'm not the ideal MPH candidate either, considering how little real work experience I have lol.

Hi,
The impression I got was that UMD's program catered more towards doctors in the area who wanted an Mph to boost their resume and allow them to enter new fields of research. I worked with a few of these people and even they recommended that I search for other options bc I wanted to pursue infectious disease epi. If you are looking for injury prevention I would strongly recommend the program bc there is a lot of that kind of research through UMMC's shock trauma center. There program is also split between the two campuses, Baltimore and college Park. I believe Baltimore has the greater opportunities but compared to other schools that are discussed here often, Emory, Tulane, JHU it just doesn't compare. Also I heard from coworkers and relatives that the the Masters in nursing program (public health focus) and mph program are similar/share classes. The medical system is incredible but does have a strong push for the shock trauma center and any related public health and inner city community health work related. They also have one of the lowest acceptance rates, the lowest in one chart that I read, which is kinda odd. I asked them why during a sophas virtual fair and they gave me some vague reply and urged me to apply.
I'm not sure if any of this helps haha.

Hmmm...that's very helpful, thanks! I probably should have specified that I'm applying for social/behavioral or community health programs (though I would like to take it as far as they'll allow me into the epi direction), so some of what you said is heartening - a lot isn't, which is good to know! This is definitely not info that's on their website, haha.

I'm thinking that Emory had a lot of applicants this year

Well, I'm wondering if I misheard them or something. May have to call again. I don't want to specify because I'm wondering if I just misunderstood them, you know? I don't want to repeat something that may have been false.

Ahhhhh now I'm dying to know too what it was, but that makes sense. If you hear anything confirming your recollection from them, please put me out of my morbid, masochistic, curiosity-driven misery!

Reactions: 1 users
Got my first rejection from Pitt for epi. Definitely feels like crap, but at least I know I'm going somewhere. :(

I was also rejected from Pitt for Epi earlier today.
My rejection email consisted of the line: "It is the determination of the committee that your application is not sufficiently competitive for this program."
Ouch. That one stings.

Reactions: 1 user
My rejection email consisted of the line: "It is the determination of the committee that your application is not sufficiently competitive for this program."
Ouch. That one stings.

Oh no, sorry to hear that! :( Ahh that letter language. My third thought just now would be that they should really be writing it in the style of a Taylor Swift song. This is what I would like whichever schools to do should I hear the same; maybe I should ask. Will be going back to bed in the meantime. Wait, maybe a Nicholas Sparks book?

Ouch. That one stings.

Right? I chuckled a bit at that line. I'm anticipating more rejections. I think the first might hurt the most.

Right? I chuckled a bit at that line. I'm anticipating more rejections. I think the first might hurt the most.
For what it's worth, I know Pitt puts a lot of weight on scores while other schools put more weight on experience. They said they really want 75%+ for quant scores for epi, and told me not to feel too bad about my 71%. It looks like you have a lot of great experience, which a lot of schools will see as competitive.

I was accepted to Epi at Emory!!!!

But I am kind of confused because I applied Global Epi first choice and haven't heard about glepi! But still so so so thrilled!!

Congrats! That's odd that you didn't hear anything about glepi before receiving an admissions to the epi department. Did you put epi as your second choice? It's been five weeks since my application was forwarded to the glepi department and I still haven't heard anything.

Congrats! That's odd that you didn't hear anything about glepi before receiving an admissions to the epi department. Did you put epi as your second choice? It's been five weeks since my application was forwarded to the glepi department and I still haven't heard anything.
I would think you should hear something any day now then! Fingers crossed!

My guess regarding the acceptance to epi and not yet glepi is that the application has to go through both the epi and global health departments for admission to glepi, so maybe it was approved by epi already as part of that process so they just gave me that acceptance before global health go to review it? I don't know. Because I looked all over the website and past emails they send me and my understanding was that they would tell me if I was denied from my first choice before sending it to my second choice, but I think it must be different for the combined departments.

Anyone else attending the RSPH "You've Applied, Now What?" webinar? I registered for it but I'm hoping I will hear a decision before February 3rd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else attending the RSPH "You've Applied, Now What?" webinar? I registered for it but I'm hoping I will hear a decision before February 3rd.
I'm thinking about it... I have some very specific questions about a certificate and I can't get anyone to respond to me, but it sounds like this webinar is more about the application process

I would think you should hear something any day now then! Fingers crossed!

My guess regarding the acceptance to epi and not yet glepi is that the application has to go through both the epi and global health departments for admission to glepi, so maybe it was approved by epi already as part of that process so they just gave me that acceptance before global health go to review it? I don't know. Because I looked all over the website and past emails they send me and my understanding was that they would tell me if I was denied from my first choice before sending it to my second choice, but I think it must be different for the combined departments.

I hope I do!

That's definitely a possibility. I was also under the impression that they notify you if your application is sent to your second or third option. I also think that with the concentrations that go through multiple departments, it's possible to get denied by one and accepted by the other. Have you called or e-mailed them to inquire about this?

I thought about it, but I'll be working during that time.

UMD decisions seem to be moving along...sorta. On 1/9 it said this when I logged in:

• APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED
    PRINT VOUCHER
    • UNDER DEPARTMENTAL/PROGRAM REVIEW
    Your application is incomplete
  • Application Fee: Not Received
  • Recommendations: Not Received
  • Test Scores:
    • GRE: Not Received
Recently it changed to this:

PRINT VOUCHER
    Your application was completed on 1/15/2015
  • Application Fee: Received
  • Recommendations: Complete
  • Test Scores:
I guess it's moving along? I saw that someone in the PhD thread found their decision online about a week before they were notified their decision was posted online...so now I can really justify refreshing this thing...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

UMD decisions seem to be moving along...sorta. On 1/9 it said this when I logged in:

PRINT VOUCHER
  • Test Scores:

PRINT VOUCHER
  • Test Scores:
I guess it's moving along? I saw that someone in the PhD thread found their decision online about a week before they were notified their decision was posted online...so now I can really justify refreshing this thing...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had the same status change. My application was complete in mid-December, but didn't change to 'Under Departmental Review' until 1/15. I'm guessing they review applications in monthly waves?

PRINT VOUCHER
  • Test Scores:

PRINT VOUCHER
  • Test Scores:

I had the same status change. My application was complete in mid-December, but didn't change to 'Under Departmental Review' until 1/15. I'm guessing they review applications in monthly waves?

Same here. Based on prior years it seems they notify late February. early March. I just want to know already.

Ouch. That one stings.

That wording is...quite blunt. :( I heard kinder rejections when I was applying for jobs.

Just heard back from Emory in an email. Was waitlisted for their Epidemiology department. The GLEPI program was my top choice so I wonder how that works out.

So I got an e-mail from Emory saying my application has been forwarded to my second choice department.
My first choice was the MSPH Environmental Health/Epidemiology program and my second choice was MSPH Global Epidemiology. Since the epi department had to review my app for my first choice and rejected it, I'm going to assume GLEPI is going to reject it, too. Emory was my top choice but it was also a long shot. Guess I'll be saving a bit of money, though? :(

So I got an e-mail from Emory saying my application has been forwarded to my second choice department.
My first choice was the MSPH Environmental Health/Epidemiology program and my second choice was MSPH Global Epidemiology. Since, the epi department had to review my app for my first choice and rejected it, I'm going to assume GLEPI is going to reject it, too. Emory was my top choice but it was also a long shot. Guess I'll be saving a bit of money, though? :(

That doesn't necessarily mean that the epi department rejected you for your first choice. If the environmental health department rejected you but the epi department accepted you, you would still be forwarded to your second choice. Did you add a third choice department?

That doesn't necessarily mean that the epi department rejected you for your first choice. If the environmental health department rejected you but the epi department accepted you, you would still be forwarded to your second choice. Did you add a third choice department?

Well, I think I remember reading in an e-mail that if EH rejected me and EPI accepted or vice versa then I would be notified of that. My third choice is MSPH Epidemiology, so it doesn't really matter because if GLEPI rejects me then so does EPI. I actually read after applying that you're not supposed to add both GLEPI and EPI to your choices because the same department reviews them. Oh well. Kinda stings a bit, but I don't really want to get my hopes up anymore. Just gotta accept it and focus on the other great programs I was accepted to! And on the bright side... I HAVE DECISIONS FROM EVERY SCHOOL I APPLIED TO!! The waiting game is OVER! :clap:

Reactions: 5 users
Well, I think I remember reading in an e-mail that if EH rejected me and EPI accepted or vice versa then I would be notified of that. My third choice is MSPH Epidemiology, so it doesn't really matter because if GLEPI rejects me then so does EPI. I actually read after applying that you're not supposed to add both GLEPI and EPI to your choices because the same department reviews them. Oh well. Kinda stings a bit, but I don't really want to get my hopes up anymore. Just gotta accept it and focus on the other great programs I was accepted to! And on the bright side... I HAVE DECISIONS FROM EVERY SCHOOL I APPLIED TO!! The waiting game is OVER! :clap:

Well congrats on having all of your decisions in! Do you have a strong leaning toward any of your schools?

Well congrats on having all of your decisions in! Do you have a strong leaning toward any of your schools?

Thanks! And I have a strong leaning towards all of them. I'm literally torn. It was going to be so easy if I had gotten into Emory but now I really need to sit down and consider my options. I have to finish writing my formula so I can see my options more clearly. I also used the "gun to your head make a decision right now" technique and came up with Ohio State based on location (closer to my parents) and overall financial safety. It's the safest option, but I think all of the programs I applied to are wonderful and I'd be happy to study in any of them.

Last edited:
Ouch. That one stings.
Don't sweat it, and don't take it personally.

Good programs and leaders know exactly what they want, and they tend to be very clear about conveying it. They're also very comfortable letting others know if they don't fit within their construct or aren't up to their standards.

The wording and methodology may vary slightly, but any institution, team, company, etc. that's worth being a part of operates that way. The good ones are keenly aware of their reputation, and they're pretty methodical about maintaining it. You can bet that if UMich's MHA (they call it MHSA) program ever gets usurped by Minnie or UNC, their dean's going to be posing a lot of tough questions to the department heads.

As a fellow applicant, I know your pain, but that's just the way it is. We truly are on the outside looking in. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I hope I do!

That's definitely a possibility. I was also under the impression that they notify you if your application is sent to your second or third option. I also think that with the concentrations that go through multiple departments, it's possible to get denied by one and accepted by the other. Have you called or e-mailed them to inquire about this?

I thought about it, but I'll be working during that time.
That's the impression I was under but no I haven't called or e-mailed maybe I will do that today before they close for the weekend.

Same here. Based on prior years it seems they notify late February. early March. I just want to know already.

It's kind of like watching sausage being made...on one hand, it's nice to know the specific stage they seem to be at; on the other, watching it makes me anxious...

UMD decision date pool, guys? :D Just kidding...:rolleyes:

Thanks! And I have a strong leaning towards all of them. I'm literally torn. It was going to be so easy if I had gotten into Emory but now I really need to sit down and consider my options. I have to finish writing my formula so I can see my options more clearly. I also used the "gun to your head make a decision right now" technique and came up with Ohio State based on location (closer to my parents) and overall financial safety. It's the safest option, but I think all of the programs I applied to are wonderful and I'd be happy to study in any of them. The problem is that each of the programs are so different (Veterinary Public Health, Infectious Diseases & Microbiology, Epidemiology, and Tropical Medicine/Parasitology). Whatever I choose will lead to a different career path so I kind of have to decide what I want to do after I graduate before I even begin the program.

I understand that! Making a decision is going to be difficult when it comes time for me to have to do it. As you mentioned, there are so many factors to consider (tuition, location, job prospects, research, career path, etc.). Good luck on making your decision!
That's the impression I was under but no I haven't called or e-mailed maybe I will do that today before they close for the weekend.

There seems to be some varying experiences being posted on here, so I'm interested to hear what they tell you.

I'm excited for everyone hearing and finally able to start making some decisions. That's so exciting! Everyone is hearing from the same places I've applied to, and I've heard not a single word (aside from GW). Not even the curt letter from Pitt! Hearing how heavily they weigh GRE's, it's just a matter of time before I, too, get it. Now, if only OPUS would update. God knows I check it often enough.

As for Epi - I read in an e-mail from Emory not to apply to Glepi and Epi, pick one of them and then pick a whole different department for your second and third choices as appropriate.

I'm excited for everyone hearing and finally able to start making some decisions. That's so exciting! Everyone is hearing from the same places I've applied to, and I've heard not a single word (aside from GW). Not even the curt letter from Pitt! Hearing how heavily they weigh GRE's, it's just a matter of time before I, too, get it. Now, if only OPUS would update. God knows I check it often enough.

As for Epi - I read in an e-mail from Emory not to apply to Glepi and Epi, pick one of them and then pick a whole different department for your second and third choices as appropriate.

I haven't heard a peep from any of my schools in about two weeks now. I also read that at some point, but I ended up applying to both. Probably wasn't the best decision, but Epi is the field I'm interested in.

Don't sweat it, and don't take it personally.

Good programs and leaders know exactly what they want, and they tend to be very clear about conveying it. They're also very comfortable letting others know if they don't fit within their construct or aren't up to their standards. The wording and methodology may vary slightly, but any institution, team, company, etc. that's worth being a part of operates that way. The good ones are keenly aware of their reputation, and they're pretty methodical about maintaining it.

As a fellow applicant, I know your pain, but that's just the way it is. We truly are on the outside looking in. Best of luck to you.

That's a good way to frame it. I'll have to remember that down the line. I guess thinking about it like a job interview - where both sides should really be interviewing the other helps. Plenty of qualified people apply for one job (or a few slots at a school) so they have to narrow it down somehow - even sometimes for arbitrary reasons. I've read a blog post where hiring managers (or those working with them) (or was it the Reddit thread about admissions officers...) talk about choosing people based on font choices. Granted, that's probably not what these admissions committees are doing - but maybe they saw something in your profile that told them that their program would not be a good match for your interests.

I haven't heard a peep from any of my schools in about two weeks now. I also read that at some point, but I ended up applying to both. Probably wasn't the best decision, but Epi is the field I'm interested in.

I did Epi first and behavioral sciences second. When I applied, my application was written before they did their new website. It would have been very helpful had this new site been live months ahead of the deadline. Did anyone else use this? http://www.sph.emory.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/mph-msph-applicants/index.html

I didn't take calculus for sure. I'm taking stats now as a post-bacc with a bunch of 18 year olds who make fart jokes at my community college. I get to class on time in scrubs looking like death, but I'm there to learn. Thursday's class was 75 minutes of going over the mean, median, and mode. I just couldn't deal with it.

I did Epi first and behavioral sciences second. When I applied, my application was written before they did their new website. It would have been very helpful had this new site been live months ahead of the deadline. Did anyone else use this? http://www.sph.emory.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/mph-msph-applicants/index.html

I didn't take calculus for sure. I'm taking stats now as a post-bacc with a bunch of 18 year olds who make fart jokes at my community college. I get to class on time in scrubs looking like death, but I'm there to learn. Thursday's class was 75 minutes of going over the mean, median, and mode. I just couldn't deal with it.

Yeah, mine was submitted before the new website as well. They had something similar on their website before, but it wasn't as detailed. I had taken the required courses already though, so it didn't make a big difference for me. I really do like the new website layout. Makes things very easy to understand.

I don't know about Emory, but some grad programs will let you take prereqs after matriculation before you begin your core courses. Have you sent them an update with the post-bacc courses that you're taking?

Hey guys, so today I decided to be that super annoying kid that calls the admissions peeps but it was informative. For anyone applying to michigan that hasn't heard yet: the guy on the line was super nice and said that since they've had so many apps it'll be 4-8 weeks from when you were complete for a decision to be made. Apparently they mostly send decision emails on Mondays and Thursdays, too.

Also, the yale peeps said my application was under review and I would hear sometime by the end of February. That's so long ahhhhhh

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, mine was submitted before the new website as well. They had something similar on their website before, but it wasn't as detailed. I had taken the required courses already though, so it didn't make a big difference for me. I really do like the new website layout. Makes things very easy to understand.

I don't know about Emory, but some grad programs will let you take prereqs after matriculation before you begin your core courses. Have you sent them an update with the post-bacc courses that you're taking?

I talked about them in my SOP, thankfully. I also included them in my course reporting on SOPHAS.

Hey guys, so today I decided to be that super annoying kid that calls the admissions peeps but it was informative. For anyone applying to michigan that hasn't heard yet: the guy on the line was super nice and said that since they've had so many apps it'll be 4-8 weeks from when you were complete for a decision to be made. Apparently they mostly send decision emails on Mondays and Thursdays, too.

Also, the yale peeps said my application was under review and I would hear sometime by the end of February. That's so long ahhhhhh

Thanks for reporting this info! It looks like Yale releases a few decisions each Thursday/Friday. I figured I would have heard by now!

Thanks for reporting this info! It looks like Yale releases a few decisions each Thursday/Friday. I figured I would have heard by now!
Yeah me too! Maybe they don't release decisions in mass, but rather as they are made? I should probably stop trying to analyze it so much!

How did you ask? I wanted to call my interviewer to ask my status but I'm afraid that it sounds like I'm rushing or annoying them. They said I'll hear back within two weeks and next Tuesday is my two weeks mark. Should I give a call?

How did you ask? I wanted to call my interviewer to ask my status but I'm afraid that it sounds like I'm rushing or annoying them. They said I'll hear back within two weeks and next Tuesday is my two weeks mark. Should I give a call?
I asked whether my application was complete or not. Probably sounded lame, but it sounded better in my head than straight up asking when I would get a decision. Then I tried to joke about how much they have people calling. Waiting sucks, but I would call after Tuesday.

Has anyone heard anything from UC Irvine? I know they said that it would come out around late January to mid February, but the lack of communication and updates is killing me...

Undergrad School: University of South Florida
Undergrad GPA: SOPHAS GPA 3.38 (calculated w/o Fall '14, Spring '15)
Major/Minor: Public Health/Infection Control
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE (1/15/15)- 161V/149Q
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- 1 year as RA in cardiovascular/psych research lab.
- 1 year as CPR/First Aid instructor, disaster response American Red Cross
- Co-author 2 published papers (3rd-4th author, nothing too spectacular) in field of hypertension/cardiovascular physiology.
- Co-presenter on 4 conference posters (psych and hypertension/cardiovascular).

Accepted: Temple University (MPH Epi), Mercer University (MPH), USF (MPH Epi & Global Communicable Disease), Tulane (MPH Epi.)
Rejected:University of Florida (MPH Epi)
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Do not call. Not even at/after the two week point.

If you want to follow up, wait until next Wednesday, then send a very low key and measured e-mail asking if a decision has been reached regarding your application. Be sure to reference the date you came in for the interview so they know it's beyond two weeks.

Remember we have no leverage in this endeavor. I know it's difficult but we have to respect their process. Our timelines, stress levels or need to be recognized, reassured, validated etc. do not matter to them. Nor should they.

I've been on the other side of this thing with other types of selection boards and when people got pushy or impatient, I always had a ready answer for them: 'No.' Don't shoot yourself in the foot with this one. Not this late in the game.

GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE (1/15/15)- 161V/149Q
- Co-author 2 published papers (3rd-4th author, nothing too spectacular) in field of hypertension/cardiovascular physiology.

Applied: USF ( MPH Epi & Communicable Disease), Tulane (MPH Epi, MSPH Tropical Med), University of Florida (MPH Epi)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Based on your list, it looks like you applied to infectious disease oriented concentrations. However, looking at your ECs, why did you not apply for chronic disease epi programs? Good luck during your admissions process! It looks like you should have no problem getting some acceptances.

Do not call. Not even at/after the two week point.

If you want to follow up, wait until next Wednesday, then send a very low key and measured e-mail asking if a decision has been reached regarding your application. Be sure to reference the date you came in for the interview so they know it's beyond two weeks.

Remember we have no leverage in this endeavor. I know it's difficult but we have to respect their process. Our timelines, stress levels or need to be recognized, reassured, validated etc. do not matter to them. Nor should they.

I've been on the other side of this thing with other types of selection boards and when people got pushy or impatient, I always had a ready answer for them: 'No.' Don't shoot yourself in the foot with this one. Not this late in the game.

Haha, thanks for the advice, You are right!!

Yeah me too! Maybe they don't release decisions in mass, but rather as they are made? I should probably stop trying to analyze it so much!

Right there with ya! The trickle of news from them is somewhat painful...!

Applied: USF ( MPH Epi & Communicable Disease), Tulane (MPH Epi, MSPH Tropical Med), University of Florida (MPH Epi)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Go Bulls!

Based on your list, it looks like you applied to infectious disease oriented concentrations. However, looking at your ECs, why did you not apply for chronic disease epi programs? Good luck during your admissions process! It looks like you should have no problem getting some acceptances.

After spending a year doing CV related research I strongly considered a career in cardiovascular/chronic disease epidemiology, but couldn't really find any chronic disease epi programs in my GRE/GPA range.

That being said I've had an interest in infectious disease epidemiology since childhood. During grade school I did an epi assignment for science class based on the Broad Street cholera outbreak and also learned about the Black Death in history class that same year- I've been interested in infectious disease epi ever since. I wouldn't mind ultimately doing chronic/CV related research again though.

And thanks for the good words and positivity!

Go Bulls!
Agreed! Would love to get my masters from USF too.

Last edited:
Heard from my adviser from Tulane, ahhh. It is going to be so difficult to make a decision. Even if I am rejected from the four I am currently waiting for, I am ecstatic about my acceptances at GWU and Tulane. Both are great schools. I may plan on visiting Tulane in a month since Louisiana is closer to me--and I've always wanted to visit New Orleans!

You can try calling them. I was told I would hear back in late February. But I kind of assumed that meant a rejection because from what I've seen, most of the acceptances are past out in January.