MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone give advice on this?

I personally think that you are a very strong applicant!!! You have plenty of experience and you are a NURSE :) which is something most people, including myself could not say. You have a great GPA especially from graduating with a difficult major such as nursing because science classes are definitely not easy, I know lol So just keep your head up and know that you have a unique and amazing application :) We are all in this together !!!

Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

Where else are you thinking of applying? If you don't mind me asking.
Glad I could be some help to you. I may also apply to UMD at Baltimore, I would apply more places but I really want to stay in the DMV. If it doesnt work out for me this year I'll just take some more math courses, get my gre up and apply to GWU.

For anyone applying to Hopkins Epi/Biostat a professor there suggested I take the Data Scientists Toolbox courses online through Coursera. Its taught by biostat professors at JHSPH and he said it would be good preparation especially if you do not have experience programming.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone applying to Hopkins Epi/Biostat a professor there suggested I take the Data Scientists Toolbox courses online through Coursera. Its taught by biostat professors at JHSPH and he said it would be good preparation especially if you do not have experience programming.

I had never heard of this course before, but after quickly looking at it, it looks like it will be useful for any of us interested in Epi/Biostats. Thank you for the suggestion!

Reactions: 1 user

Yah Coursera is so easy to use. I wish the online courses I took for my undergrad were like it.

Also, sent in my SOPHAS app with my PSs for Columbia and Rutgers. Thanks to those who helped with those! Not excited by how SOPHAS may change my Rutgers GPA though. x)

Undergrad School: Rutgers University
Undergrad GPA: 3.83 (It will change depending on how they average my first school GPA of 3.35)
Major/Minor: BS Public Health
GRE : Q 155, V 161, W 4.5 (Previous attempt was Q 154, V 160, W 3.5)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): -Study abroad through a Danish public health program
-Data Management Internship at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene
-AmeriCorps' HealthCorps Member
Applied: Plan on applying to - Columbia (MPH- Epi), Emory (MPH- Epi), Rutgers (MPH- Epi), Hunter College (MPH- Epi), GW (MPH- Epi)

My GPA should average out to a 3.6ish.

Undergrad School: The University of Edinburgh
Undergrad GPA:

Major/Minor: Social Policy
GRE: October 2014, V(150), Q(142), W(4.0)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): - Volunteered as a math and English teacher at an orphanage.
- Worked with a local organization in a third world country and lectured young school girls on basic healthcare and the importance of education.
-Freelance research for a start up that teaches business skills.

SOPHAS Verified: 05/11

Applied: NYU, UC Berkeley, Columbia, Yale, Dartmouth, University of Pennsylvania, Boston University
Accepted:
Rejected:
UPenn (12/22), Dartmouth (01/05), Yale (02/06), Columbia (02/11)
Waitlisted: NYU (2/2)

Last edited:
Anyone else having trouble dealing with SOPHAS? Their instructions are so outdated and inconsistent!

Has anyone here already applied for Fall 2015 and had any decisions yet?

Undergrad School: GWU, University of Miami (transferred to UM)
Undergrad GPA: 3.15

Major/Minor: Psychology/biology (premed track)
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE 158/152/4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
3 Papers Published
Research Study - HIV/PTSD adolescent sexual abuse
Research Study - HIV Quality of Life + integration of routine exercise
Several other studies pertaining to HIV/AIDs
Physician Shadowing
Unite for Sight Volunteer, good amount of volunteering.

Low GPA attributed to one bad year of grades due to extenuating circumstances. Other than that one year I had solid grades. Would have had ended up with a 3.6-7 or so if it wasn't for that year.

I applied to Spring 2015 programs, but may defer to fall. I am currently deciding if I want to attend a school in the spring or apply to other schools (Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, UWashington, Berkeley). I haven't found much info on Mount Sinai at all, but it is significantly cheaper than any of the other schools.

Applied: Boston University (SB), GWU (Epi), Mount Sinai (Epi), Tufts, UMiami
Accepted: BU ($15k Merit scholarship), GWU, Mount Sinai
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone replied to my post with this: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=public health&t=a&pp=250&o=&p=1

It seems Tulane gets back to their applicants relatively early, I really hope it doesn't take the other schools too long

It appears that most of the top schools, except for Tulane for some reason, don't get back to you until later (Columbia doesn't start giving out acceptances until late Feb at the earliest). However, many of the smaller programs and schools seem to begin giving out acceptances earlier in the game. This is what I've seen from looking at old threads, at least.

Undergrad School: "Public Ivy"
Undergrad GPA: 3.72

Major/Minor: Neuroscience and Spanish (Double Major)
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 158 V, 156 Q, 4.5 AW
Research assistant in a neuropsychology laboratory researching Parkinson's disease.
Research assistant in a microbiology/genetics laboratory.
Summers spent working in an environmental chemistry lab working to identify health hazards in soil/water samples.
Health-related study abroad

Applied: UC Berkeley (Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology MPH), Emory (Epi MPH), UMich (Epi MPH), Yale (EMD MPH), Minnesota (Epi MPH)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Just submitted all my apps the other day! A little worried about my lack of direct public health experience, but hoping for the best! Good luck everyone!

Has anyone here already applied for Fall 2015 and had any decisions yet?

My application was completed on November 1 and verified November 9. I've only heard from two of the four schools I applied to:
Ohio State (I think this is similar to most state schools) will send their supplemental application two weeks after an application is verified.
Columbia said they would send decisions in the middle of February and again in the middle of March.

Last edited:
Undergrad School: "Public Ivy"
Undergrad GPA: 3.72
Major/Minor: Neuroscience and Spanish (Double Major)
GradGPA
(if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 158 V, 156 Q, 4.5 AW
Research assistant in a neuropsychology laboratory researching Parkinson's disease.
Research assistant in a microbiology/genetics laboratory.
Summers spent working in an environmental chemistry lab working to identify health hazards in soil/water samples.
Health-related study abroad

Applied: UC Berkeley (Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology MPH), Emory (Epi MPH), UMich (Epi MPH), Yale (EMD MPH), Minnesota (Epi MPH)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Just submitted all my apps the other day! A little worried about my lack of direct public health experience, but hoping for the best! Good luck everyone!

You have strong research experience, which i think is very highly valued at public health schools, regardless of whether it's directly related to public health! Good luck!

Undergrad School: Boston College
Undergrad GPA: 3.11
Major/Minor: Philosophy/American Studies (pre-med)
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE V 158 Q 151 AW waiting for score (Nov 2014), V 150 Q 152 AW: 4.0 (Mar 2014) or Other Test (if applicable):
Experience/Research:
- 2 years AmeriCorps program
-3 years working as pharmacy technician
-Licensed EMT (worked on student run EMS organization throughout college)

Applied: Columbia EPI, BU Global Health, Emory Global Health (infectious disease), GWU (Global Policy), NYU (community & international health), Tufts (Global Health), UPenn
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I am nervous about my GPA and low quant scores! Emory is my dream school :(

Last edited:
My application was completed on November 1 and verified November 9. I've only heard from two of the four schools I applied to:
Ohio State (I think this is similar to most state schools) will send their supplemental application two weeks after an application is verified.
Columbia said they would send decisions in the middle of February and again in the middle of March.

Mine was verified by Sophas on 11/9 also but haven't yet heard from any of the schools. Fingers crossed for everyone!

Mine was verified by Sophas on 11/9 also but haven't yet heard from any of the schools. Fingers crossed for everyone!

Some schools take their time with sending confirmation e-mails, my application was verified a week ago and I've only heard back from one school, I've read previous posts from last year's MPH forum and some don't even send any confirmations till mid-December.

Good luck! Hope you get your e-mails soon!

I received confirmation from NYU today that my application is complete and under consideration.

Also, they mentioned that they e-mail decisions and don't send any mail regarding their decision.

I received confirmation from NYU today that my application is complete and under consideration.

Also, they mentioned that they e-mail decisions and don't send any mail regarding their decision.

It's so exciting when you start hearing back from schools! Tulane sent me an email to say they're reviewing my application and it's all I can think about.

Good luck to you!

It's so exciting when you start hearing back from schools! Tulane sent me an email to say they're reviewing my application and it's all I can think about.

Good luck to you!
I just got my first reply from UAB that they have my applications and I should hear something in 2-3 weeks.

Good luck to you!
I know it really is exciting! I was getting a little nervous that I hadn't heard back yet.

Good luck to you too! Tulane seems to get back to its applicants relatively early so fingers crossed you'll get your acceptance soon!

Undergrad School: University of Florida
Undergrad GPA: 3.51
Major/Minor: Anthropology and Sociology
GRE: Took on 8/6; V-166 (96th percentile), Q-157 (68th percentile), W-5.0 (93rd percentile)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1 year undergraduate memory and aging research, >1.5 years health outcome research (employed full time), 1.5 years Planned Parenthood student outreach volunteer experience

SOPHAS submitted 10/17, verified 10/30

Applied: University of Michigan (HMP, HBHE), University of Pittsburgh (HMP), Emory (HMP, BSHE, GH), Portland State University (HMP), University of Washington (HMP), Columbia (HMP), NYU (CIH)
Accepted (7/7): University of Pittsburgh (11/11), University of Michigan (HBHE, 12/3), Portland State University (12/12), Emory (HMP in both MPH and MSPH, 1/13), NYU (CIH, 1/29 with scholarship), UW (2/19), Columbia (2/27)
Rejected: 0/7
Waitlisted: 0/7

I just heard from Pitt today! Super excited to have an acceptance!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
GRE: Took on 8/6; V-166 (96th percentile), Q-157 (68th percentile), W-5.0 (93rd percentile)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1 year undergraduate memory and aging research, >1.5 years health outcome research (employed full time), 1.5 years Planned Parenthood student outreach volunteer experience

SOPHAS submitted 10/14, verified 10/30

Applied: University of Michigan (HMP, HBHE), University of Pittsburgh (HMP), Emory (HMP, BSHE, GH), Portland State University (HMP), University of Washington (HMP), Columbia (HMP), NYU (CIH)
Accepted: University of Pittsburgh (11/11)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congratulations! Good luck with the rest!

Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congrats on your acceptance!

Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congratulations! So exciting!

Undergrad School: Rutgers University
Major/Minor: BS Public Health
GRE : Q 155, V 161, W 4.5 (Previous attempt was Q 154, V 160, W 3.5)
-Study abroad through a Danish public health program
-Data Management Internship at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene
-AmeriCorps' HealthCorps Member
Applied: Columbia (MPH- Epi), Rutgers (MPH- Epi), and Yale (MPH- Chronic Disease Epi)
Plan on applying to - Emory (MPH- Epi), Hunter College (MPH- Epi), GW (MPH- Epi)

SOPHAS verified grade was lowered than expected :(. However, It is a relief to have it done.

I'm really struggling writing the other PSs. Writing letters for schools other than your main choices is tough lol.

Last edited:
Undergrad GPA: 3.84
Major/Minor: Political Science and Anthropology minor in African Studies
GRE:
7/11/11 (old scoring) Verbal: 490 (54th percentile) Quant: 730 (68 percentile) AW: 4.5 (80th percentile)
9/28/14 Verbal: 155 (67th percentile) Quant: 157 (68th percentile) AW: 4.0 (56th percentile)
Experience/Research:
3 years in Alpha Phi Omega co-ed service fraternity
6 months with Alachua County (Florida) Health Department as a volunteer with their minority AIDS program
2 years as a Peace Corps health education volunteer in Kyrgyzstan. I will be finished in the Summer.

SOPHAS Verified 11/13

Applied: Columbia MPH - PFH Harvard SM2 - GHP, GWU MPH-Global Health PDME, Emory MPH -Global Health CHD, BU MPH - Global Health and Johns Hopkins MSPH.
Accepted: Boston University 12/19, Emory 1/8, GWU 1/14, Columbia 2/6, Johns Hopkins MSPH 3/5.
Rejected: Harvard 3/14

Attending: JHSPH

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
I don't mean to call you out or belittle you in anyway, however I think that if you're willing to invest time and money into your education, then a slight inconvenience like an extra application (non-SOPHAS) should not deter you from applying to one of the best public health programs in the country, especially if you want to focus on global health.

Everything looks good, your GPA, GRES and work/volunteer experience. If you write some solid personal statements and have good recommendation letters, then I do not see why you would not get accepted to more than one of the top programs, if not all of them.

In terms of choosing between Tulane, NYU and Johns Hopkins, I would say that you should apply to a program that is located in the geographic area that you would like to be stationed out of, that is if you have a preference. You should also consider applying to UNC or Washington (UW..not Wash-U).

Best of luck!

QUOTE="aself, post: 15885759, member: 648290"]Undergrad School: University of Florida
GRE:
7/11/11 (old scoring) Verbal: 490 (54th percentile) Quant: 730 (68 percentile) AW: 4.5 (80th percentile)
9/28/14 Verbal: 155 (67th percentile) Quant: 157 (68th percentile) AW: 4.0 (56th percentile)
Experience/Research:
6 months with Alachua County (Florida) Health Department as a volunteer with their minority AIDS program
2 years as a Peace Corps health education volunteer in Kyrgyzstan. I will be finished in the Summer.

SOPHAS Verified 11/13

Applied: Columbia MPH - PFH Harvard SM2 - GHP
Applying to: GWU MPH-Global Health PDME, Emory MPH -Global Health CHD, BU MPH - Global Health and one more but still debating between NYU, Tulane, and Johns Hopkins MSPH (I really don’t won’t to do an application outside of SOPHAS)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Good luck everyone![/QUOTE]

I don't mean to call you out or belittle you in anyway, however I think that if you're willing to invest time and money into your education, then a slight inconvenience like an extra application (non-SOPHAS) should not deter you from applying to one of the best public health programs in the country, especially if you want to focus on global health.

Everything looks good, your GPA, GRES and work/volunteer experience. If you write some solid personal statements and have good recommendation letters, then I do not see why you would not get accepted to more than one of the top programs, if not all of them.

In terms of choosing between Tulane, NYU and Johns Hopkins, I would say that you should apply to a program that is located in the geographic area that you would like to be stationed out of, that is if you have a preference. You should also consider applying to UNC or Washington (UW..not Wash-U).

Best of luck!
No offense taken. I agree with you. I'm leaning towards Hopkins both for location and program. UW and UNC have great programs but are not in locations I want to be.

If you want to be in DC, then you might also want to check out Georgetown's MSc. Global Health program. It's a fairly new program, however Georgetown is a renowned institution known for its undergraduate international health program; not to mention that the professors are all connected to the World Bank and in other capacities in the global health realm.

If you have any questions about Tulane, I'd be happy to answer those as well. Seems I picked Tulane at a good time, this weekend is APHA.

No offense taken. I agree with you. I'm leaning towards Hopkins both for location and program. UW and UNC have great programs but are not in locations I want to be.

Best of luck!

QUOTE="aself, post: 15885759, member: 648290"]Undergrad School: University of Florida
GRE:
Experience/Research:

SOPHAS Verified 11/13

Applied: Columbia MPH - PFH Harvard SM2 - GHP
Applying to: GWU MPH-Global Health PDME, Emory MPH -Global Health CHD, BU MPH - Global Health and one more but still debating between NYU, Tulane, and Johns Hopkins MSPH (I really don’t won’t to do an application outside of SOPHAS)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Good luck everyone!

There are public health schools which traditionally have strong global health programs, or whom have built such programs, and then there are many schools who might have strengths in other areas, but kind of jumped on the global health bandwagon a couple decades or so ago when it was en vogue to do so, and as such don't have quite the reputation and are kinda second tier global health schools.

I'd say that the top tier global health players are:

JHU, Emory, UNC, Tulane, Berkley, Columbia and Harvard from a policy standpoint, LSHTM, and Brown has a very strong global health tradition, though only recently begun the work of becoming an official 'school' of public health. Uni. of Wash is an all around terrific school, and have heard some good things about global health there.

I got an acceptance letter from Tulane! Woohoo!!

Reactions: 9 users
I got an email from Rollins SPH stating they have my application but they have not started the application process. Does anyone know when they usually start looking at apps?

I got an email from Rollins SPH stating they have my application but they have not started the application process. Does anyone know when they usually start looking at apps?

I got the same e-mail a couple of days ago. From what I've seen in previous years' threads, they start giving out acceptances in January. So my guess is that they will start reviewing in December.

Reactions: 4 users
Undergrad School: UT-Austin
Undergrad GPA: 3.20
Major/Minor: B.S. Public Health
GradGPA
Grad Studies
(if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 155 V, 164 Q, 5.0 AW. Taken October 2014
Interned at a public health organization for a summer
Part of the Public Health organization at UT for a semester
Volunteered at a hospital for a summer
Working as a Career Mentor for 1.5 years

SOPHAS Verified 11/13

Applied: Columbia MPH - Sociomedical Sciences with concentration in maternal and child health UC-Irvine MPH-Sociocultural Diversity Notre Dame MS in Global Health UT (Austin Campus) MPH-Customized in health promotion and behavioral sciences with a concentration in maternal and child health
Applying to:
Accepted:
UT (Austin Campus), Notre Dame, Columbia, UCI
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Attending Columbia!

Last edited:
Hi everyone - I am career-changing and I was pretty confident in my application, but now I am pretty nervous because it looks like everyone has a definitive health background. A lot of schools say they will take any undergrad major. I am applying to epidemiology programs with either concentrations in psychiatric epidemiology or strong research in those areas. Does anyone know of at least anecdotal evidence of someone who was a business major who got into a decent MPH program?

Undergrad School:
U of Cincinnati
Undergrad GPA: 3.749
Major/Minor: Finance, and some pre-med (1st year bio and chem, A&P 2)
GradGPA (if applicable):
Took some creative writing grad classes for fun; 4.0
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 11/14; 165 V 158 Q 5.5 AWA
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years full time senior business analyst at large, reputable financial company; 6 months investment analyst; 6 months writing intern at cancer research lab while in school; in school was president of Finance Club and managed a $400k student-run fund; serve on committees at work; volunteered for about a month at a hospital; various volunteer experiences not directly related to health

Applied: Columbia (11/12), Emory (11/17), U of Florida (11/16), U of Pittsburgh (11/20), Washington University (11/21), Johns Hopkins (11/23), Virginia Commonwealth (11/25) (All MPH Epidemiology), Harvard (12/3) (SM 80)
SOPHAS Validated 11/19
Accepted: U of Pittsburgh (12/15), Washington University St. Louis (12/15; $25k scholarship), U of Florida (12/23; notified of $8k scholarship 2/27), Emory (1/8), Columbia (2/6), VCU (3/2)
Rejected: Johns Hopkins (2/16), Harvard (3/13)
Waitlisted:
Attending:
Washington University St. Louis

TIPS For future people: Try to get your GRE scores as high as possible. I know I could've gotten at least a 160 in quant but thought 71% was good enough. It was good enough to get in to a lot of good schools, but not for funding. I think I would have gotten into Harvard if I would have taken more science classes in undergrad and done some undergrad research. Coming from a business background, I don't have that. And I probably would've gotten into JHU if I applied to the MSPH, but I didn't want to make my recommenders put in the extra effort to submit another separate letter when I didn't think I'd get in. Definitely write a good essay and visit before if you can; I think that's what got me in to some of the programs. Also, MPH programs aren't as competitive as you think they would be. You can make it easier on yourself by only applying to 3-4 instead of 8.

Last edited:
Hi everyone - I am career-changing and I was pretty confident in my application, but now I am pretty nervous because it looks like everyone has a definitive health background. A lot of schools say they will take any undergrad major. I am applying to epidemiology programs with either concentrations in psychiatric epidemiology or strong research in those areas. Does anyone know of at least anecdotal evidence of someone who was a business major who got into a decent MPH program?

Undergrad School:
U of Cincinnati
Undergrad GPA: 3.749
Major/Minor: Finance, and some pre-med (1st year bio and chem, A&P 2)
GradGPA (if applicable):
Took some creative writing grad classes for fun; 4.0
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 165 V 158 Q 5.5 AWA
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 3 years full time senior business analyst at large, reputable financial company; 6 months investment analyst; 6 months writing intern at cancer research lab while in school; in school was president of Finance Club and managed a $400k student-run fund; serve on committees at work; volunteered for about a month at a hospital; various volunteer experiences not directly related to health

Applied: Columbia, Emory, U of Florida
Plan on applying to: U of Pittsburgh, Virginia Commonwealth, U of Washington, might throw in an application to Johns Hopkins though I'm pretty sure I'm not eligible, will apply to various backup schools with later deadlines if I don't get into those
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Applicants to public health schools come from all different backgrounds! Some schools have information on their sites that show what industries admitted students previously worked in.

You seem like a strong candidate given your work and research experience, GPA, and GRE scores. Good luck!

Applicants to public health schools come from all different backgrounds! Some schools have information on their sites that show what industries admitted students previously worked in.

You seem like a strong candidate given your work and research experience, GPA, and GRE scores. Good luck!

Thank you for the reassurance!

It's only been two weeks since I've submitted my application, and the waiting is already killing me slowly. Anyone else in the same boat as I am?

It's only been two weeks since I've submitted my application, and the waiting is already killing me slowly. Anyone else in the same boat as I am?

I totally understand!! I submitted mine not even a week ago and I feel like I'm dying inside lol I just want to know now!!! I think I need an early vacation or something, if only I could afford it.... sigh

I totally understand!! I submitted mine not even a week ago and I feel like I'm dying inside lol I just want to know now!!! I think I need an early vacation or something, if only I could afford it.... sigh

Good to know that I'm not the only one! Definitely need a vacation to beat the stress of all of this and to take my mind off the deafening silence! Hopefully we'll start receiving good news sooner rather than later!!

Good to know that I'm not the only one! Definitely need a vacation to beat the stress of all of this and to take my mind off the deafening silence! Hopefully we'll start receiving good news sooner rather than later!!
I can't even count how many times a day I check my email.

Reactions: 2 users