MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an email from the director of the HPM master programs at Emory stating that I'm accepted to the MPH program and that they want me to also consider the MSPH program:). Acceptance from GWU earlier this month. Still waiting on Hopkins, Columbia and Michigan. Good luck everyone!!! Stay warm!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
I'm losing my mind at this point, February can't come soon enough!! Only thing I'm worried about is that schools will wait till March to send out decisions for certain departments.

I know this is the case for UWashington Epi applicants. The expected decision date is early March. D:<

Got an email from UIC saying my app was recommended for admission and that it's going to be forwarded for an official decision. If I remember correctly, this is the first time they've contacted me at all.

That's great! I'm glad to hear that there is some movement over there. I haven't heard anything from them since my application was submitted two and a half months ago. What department did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called last week. They said 5-6 weeks for priority deadline applicants.

So, horribly dumb question - does that mean 5-6 weeks from when you spoke to them, 5-6 weeks after 12/15, or 5-6 weeks after acceptance? #thingsiobsessover

Reactions: 1 user
So, horribly dumb question - does that mean 5-6 weeks from when you spoke to them, 5-6 weeks after 12/15, or 5-6 weeks after acceptance? #thingsiobsessover

Pretty sure it'll be late February/early March before we get our offers. However, she did say they are working to get it done so it could, could be sooner. I just don't believe that.

That's great! I'm glad to hear that there is some movement over there. I haven't heard anything from them since my application was submitted two and a half months ago. What department did you apply to?

Epidemiology. The email was from a student coordinator and said I would receive an official admissions notification from the Dean.

I had the same frustration with hearing from them and I noticed their website isn't updated frequently so maybe keep a heads up for an email instead.

Hi! For those who applied to UCLA, I saw on their website that they will release decisions no later than March 1st but on their calendar of events there is an admitted student day on Feb 27th. Do you think we will hear back from them before Feb 27th then?

The wait is unbearable!

Hi! For those who applied to UCLA, I saw on their website that they will release decisions no later than March 1st but on their calendar of events there is an admitted student day on Feb 27th. Do you think we will hear back from them before Feb 27th then?

The wait is unbearable!
Do you know if they post the admissions results on the grad school app website? I read in previous years that people got their admissions decision from a website so I am guessing that is the one they are referring to.

Do you know if they post the admissions results on the grad school app website? I read in previous years that people got their admissions decision from a website so I am guessing that is the one they are referring to.

Yeah I believe you will receive an email saying to log into a website to then see the decision. But it depends on your concentration because on grad cafe I saw that someone got accepted through phone call too!

College: SEC public university
GPA: 3.5
Major: Biology & Spanish
GRE: 162V, 158Q
Work: 2 years full time post-grad in a cancer research lab, 1 year in lobbying/government affairs for medical device and pharmaceutical companies

SOPHAS submitted 11/20 and confirmed a few days later. Received by schools in early December.
(all HPM programs)
Applied: JHU, Emory, Wash U, Yale, GWU, Vandy
Accepted: Wash U ($25,000 scholarship), GWU
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I've enjoyed tapping in to the admissions hive mind on SDN. I'm checking OPUS every day or so for Emory's decision. I'm thinking that OPUS is the only external site I need to be checking as every other school will contact me when a decision is reached. I could be totally off with that, though.

Pretty sure it'll be late February/early March before we get our offers. However, she did say they are working to get it done so it could, could be sooner. I just don't believe that.

Yeah, I'm with ya on the last bit. I'm just a bit antsy because it has been 8 weeks for me...

College: a good public university
GPA: 3.6
Major: French & International Studies/Global Health
GRE: 147Q, 150V, 4.5 AWA (not the best unfortunately!)

Experience:
1 year working in a non profit geared toward helping vulnerable women and children
1.5 years of experience working with infants and young children in various child care/teaching positions
5 months as an intern for an international nonprofit with a health focus
5 months as an intern at a nonprofit working with diverse groups
A few months volunteering at global health/community outreach events for educational programs on infant mortality and I also helped with cooking programs to teach homeless and recently homeless populations about nutrition

SOPHAS submitted 11/28 - applied to MCH for all
Applied: UW, GWU, UM, UNC, BU, Tulane
Accepted: UM, GWU
Rejected: BU
Waitlisted:

Does anyone have any insight on the UNC interview for MCH? I have mine coming up very soon. Any advice helps, thanks!

Epidemiology. The email was from a student coordinator and said I would receive an official admissions notification from the Dean.

I had the same frustration with hearing from them and I noticed their website isn't updated frequently so maybe keep a heads up for an email instead.
Yeah, I've heard in past years that their website is not a reliable source to track your admissions status. It still doesn't stop me from checking it about once a day!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've enjoyed tapping in to the admissions hive mind on SDN. I'm checking OPUS every day or so for Emory's decision. I'm thinking that OPUS is the only external site I need to be checking as every other school will contact me when a decision is reached. I could be totally off with that, though.

Out of the ones you haven't heard from, I applied to Emory and JHU. If you applied to JHU through SOPHAS, you don't need to check anything.

Update on Emory - I just got an e-mail from them, roughly 20 days after my acceptance, notifying me of my acceptance. They indicated there will be a letter and gift delivered via FedEx.

This is way off topic but does anyone else have to sell their house/condo? How soon are you getting it on the market? I feel like I'm way behind on this step... Ugh this whole process is way stressful :scared::barf::bang::arghh::mad:

Reactions: 1 users
I received an email from the biostat department at JHU asking for unofficial transcripts so they could review my application. Initially I thought it was a fake email because there was no salutation or signature. I called and confirmed it was an email from JHU. Glad to know they're in the reviewing stage, my application was just listed as complete on 1/15. This isnt a sophas app tho cus I applied for ScM.

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected by Emory today for my first choice in Global Health. My application was then forwarded to Global Epi as my second choice... I don't think there is much hope there either since it is generally much harder to get into Global Epi than Global Health. Good luck to everyone who are still waiting for decisions!

Last edited:
There seems to be some varying experiences being posted on here, so I'm interested to hear what they tell you.

I emailed them about the EPI/GLEPI thing and this is the response I got:

"Your decision for the Global Epidemiology program has been posted on OPUS. It is advised for you to click the link to see your decision for your first choice department. We hope this information was helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions."

I went back on OPUS and all I have is the original acceptance to the Epidemiology department so I would be interested to know if anyone who applied to GLEPI got a latter specifically saying they were accepted to Global Epidemiology...

"Your decision for the Global Epidemiology program has been posted on OPUS. It is advised for you to click the link to see your decision for your first choice department. We hope this information was helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions."

I went back on OPUS and all I have is the original acceptance to the Epidemiology department so I would be interested to know if anyone who applied to GLEPI got a latter specifically saying they were accepted to Global Epidemiology...
That's an odd response. They didn't really answer your question. Almost seems like an automated response to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does sound like an automated response, but I would guess that that means that your final acceptance is into epi. That's one thing that's starting to bug me about Emory. I know they are busy and have a lot of applicants, but I have some fairly straightforward questions about a certificate that no one is answering. It really bugs me when you're about to drop tens of thousands of dollars on something and can't get your questions answered.

Reactions: 4 users
Ive been stalking this thread for long enough... I guess its time for me to post

Undergrad School: McGill University
Undergrad GPA: 3.62
Major/Minor: Major Microbiology and Immunology, minor Management
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): MCAT: 13, 9, 12, Q
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 1 year in TB diagnostic analysis in India (3 months working in India, the rest from McGill), including a systematic review of chest x ray technique and a market analysis of diagnostics in India (both yet to be published...)
2 summers at the McGill AIDS center focusing on brazils HIV/AIDS policies as well as working on experimental protocols
No publications :( (3 near review)
5 years running my own tutoring business

Applied: HPM at Yale, Columbia, UPenn, will be applying to BU in health services research
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Has anyone heard from UPenn? Would you consider me as experienced enough? I am only one year out of my bachelor

Undergrad School: University of Pittsburgh-Greensburg
Undergrad GPA: SOPHAS GPA 3.66(calculated w/o Fall '14)
Major/Minor: Biological Science
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):MCAT: 21
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- volunteer work since freshman year in various aspects of the community from animal shelters, nursing homes, and HeadStart to heading fundraisers for on campus Junior Diabetes Research Foundation Walk.
-Speaker at Campus Wide Leadership Conference-Topic: Collaboration among campus groups
-Community assistant for 2 years
-1 year full-time work in local emergency department as a medical scribe
-Summer study abroad with Vira I Heinz Scholarship
-7 scholarships in addition to my merit scholarship
-Independent capstone research on the risks of health care employees caring harmful pathogens home on footwear
-Capstone Presentation at ABASM conference

Applied: U of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health-Epidemiology with a focus in prevention, lifestyle and physical activity
Accepted: U of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health-Epidemiology with a focus in prevention, lifestyle and physical activity
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Juno brought me some good luck today. Got into NYU for Epi! Wasn't expecting to hear from anyone today.:soexcited:

Reactions: 12 users
Finally got a decision on the books, accepted to GWU Epi! Honestly just so relieved to have gotten in somewhere. Still no rejections either, so I'll take it!

Reactions: 11 users
That's one thing that's starting to bug me about Emory. I know they are busy and have a lot of applicants, but I have some fairly straightforward questions about a certificate that no one is answering. It really bugs me when you're about to drop tens of thousands of dollars on something and can't get your questions answered.
You bring up an excellent point.

While we as applicants have 'zero' leverage in this process, we do indeed have a choice, and that's worth remembering. Even if only one school extends an offer, you still have a choice as to whether or not you want to lay down your hard earned money or go into debt for that school's program. If they come off as unresponsive, disorganized, or uninformed, that's worth noting. It's not unfair or unreasonable to look at that as a possible indicator of the culture/ethos that prevails throughout the department.

Or maybe admissions is simply undermanned... If that's the case, in what other areas/ways might the school be cutting corners?

As much as 'they' are evaluating 'us,' we need to do the same. I have applied to only two schools, and one has clearly impressed me more than the other; their respective admissions departments aren't even in the same galaxy performance/motivation-wise. I just hope the school that has impressed me will see fit to admit me. If it does, my decision will be an easy one. For what it's worth...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Soooo, who else is going to the financial aid at Emory webinar party? I know it has no bearing on whether or not we've been accepted, but rather if we've been removed from the email list. I just can't help be be that person that must go or else. Who is going to learn about debt and borrowing money with me? As I've mentioned no less than 100 times, I did my undergrad in Atlanta, so I know all the best/cheap places to eat!

Soooo, who else is going to the financial aid at Emory webinar party? I know it has no bearing on whether or not we've been accepted, but rather if we've been removed from the email list. I just can't help be be that person that must go or else. Who is going to learn about debt and borrowing money with me? As I've mentioned no less than 100 times, I did my undergrad in Atlanta, so I know all the best/cheap places to eat!

I didn't get the email about the webinar, but I saw it on their admissions website and registered anyway...

I want to attend, but it's in the middle of the day so I'll be working. I wish they offered one in the evening as well.

Waiting to hear back from JHU is killing me. Got an email back in mid-November saying that my app was forwarded to my department for review and that I should hear back in 8-10 weeks. This is week 11... COME ON! Anyone else hear anything from them yet?

I really would like to, but my new job starts that day and I don't know I'll get home by then.

So... Has anyone heard from GWU's community health departments? I applied to COPC on 12/1 and haven't heard anything.

On another note, though-- If anyone has applied to the University of San Francisco, I emailed yesterday and was told results come out on a rolling basis within 4-6 weeks of receipt. Because of the holidays, some people will be a little behind, but they are kicking back up next week. Cheers!

So... Has anyone heard from GWU's community health departments? I applied to COPC on 12/1 and haven't heard anything.

On another note, though-- If anyone has applied to the University of San Francisco, I emailed yesterday and was told results come out on a rolling basis within 4-6 weeks of receipt. Because of the holidays, some people will be a little behind, but they are kicking back up next week. Cheers!

I applied to GW's COPC program in early November and heard back 11/26. I know they've been utterly slammed with apps from people applying before the 12/15 priority deadline because they said so. It has caused a definite backlog for them in all aspects (for example, I still haven't gotten my acceptance packet after 8 weeks - sounds like they may not have gone out yet - though I was told at the beginning of the month that they aim for a 1-2 week turnaround usually). Generally they seem to be quick with decisions, so here's hoping this is a good week for you!

Can I ask what school is everyone's top 1 or 2 preferences? From what I've seen most people are applying to multiple schools so I was curious :) You all are making me nervous over here seeing how early you turned your apps in! I finished my Peace Corps service right before the deadline so for me it was a rush to get everything done and trying to coordinate everything from another continent was crazy!

Reactions: 2 users
Can I ask what school is everyone's top 1 or 2 preferences? From what I've seen most people are applying to multiple schools so I was curious :) You all are making me nervous over here seeing how early you turned your apps in! I finished my Peace Corps service right before the deadline so for me it was a rush to get everything done and trying to coordinate everything from another continent was crazy!

Emory is my first choice. Yale and Columbia are probably tied for second. However, it all depends on financial aid. I may end up going with UAB because it is significantly cheaper.

Congrats on your COS! Where did you serve? I served in Swaziland followed by an extension in Rwanda.

Columbia and Yale. I applied for the accelerated/advanced professional programs and both are great matches for my interests. If I'm admitted to both, much will depend on funding.

I also applied later than the norm on this board, but my excuse isn't as exciting! I just come from a corner of academia where there's no such thing as rolling admission so it didn't occur to me that there would be any reason to put an application together earlier. Plus, well, I'm an academic. We're a deadline-oriented people!

I would have to say that my number one " I'd be living a crazy amazing dream" school is Harvard but next choice is Berkeley and I've already secured a research position so if I don't get into Harvard I'll be waaaay more than happy to go to Cal Berkeley

Reactions: 5 users
Dream world - Harvard and Johns Hopkins. Very unlikely I will get into either of those.

Tied for next place are Emory and Columbia. I haven't heard from Columbia yet and I got into Emory but haven't heard about financial aid. I got into WashU with a $25k scholarship and I might take that, depending on where else I get in and what type of funding I get. In an ideal world I would get into Harvard with full funding and go there. That's a big reason I applied to a variety of schools; in the end, Florida could sneak up with a full tuition scholarship (also obviously unlikely) and I could end up there. Like all decisions, it's a cost/benefit analysis.

John Hopkins and UWashington are tied for No. 1. I only heard from 3 of the schools and remaining anxious until March. Besides from those schools, I'm waiting on Emory, Columbia, and UIC.

A girl can dream, right?

Columbia slightly ahead of Yale. I've already heard from Yale and the more I learn about it the closer it edges towards Columbia. However, working with Columbia graduates and a better feel of my research/practicum options from the school keeps it in first.

Though if Rutgers gives me any extra support (Super unlikely) it might keep me from picking either of those schools.

Columbia slightly ahead of Yale. I've already heard from Yale and the more I learn about it the closer it edges towards Columbia. However, working with Columbia graduates and a better feel of my research/practicum options from the school keeps it in first.

Though if Rutgers gives me any extra support (Super unlikely) it might keep me from picking either of those schools.

Could you share a little bit why you prefer Columbia over Yale?

Could you share a little bit why you prefer Columbia over Yale?

Well first I'd like to mention that they are very close on my list.

However, with Columbia's size/location comes more diverse opportunities. The school has concrete relationships with institutions I personally would like to work with i.e NYCDOHMH. It has a wider breadth of research topics in the event I would want to go down that route. The school also doesn't separate Infectious Disease epi and Chronic Disease epi (Though I don't see myself changing my area of study I'd still don't want to feel constrained either at school or when applying for jobs).

From what I have heard about Yale the programs are like very tight communities and the profs are extremely accessible. Something I fear Columbia in its size lacks. The school also has less competition for research opportunities due to the small size of the program.

Again, location plays a big part. I've lived in NYC know it well enough to be comfortable right off the bat. But, I have yet to see New Haven and fear it would let me down professionally and socially.

Dream schools- JHU and Harvard. Though I've gotten into Hopkins, their tuition fee has me sweating. Still waiting on Harvard, though I doubt there will be any scholarship even if (by some miracle) I do get in.
Other schools where I got accepted - Boston University (15k$ scholarship) and Yale.

Has anyone else applied and/or accepted into Hopkins online/part-time MPH program? If so, what feedback have you received from alumni about the program, if any? Other info/thoughts about it is welcome. I'm leaning towards Hopkins right now as I'm waiting to hear from Columbia.

I keep going through this in my head. I think Emory is my first choice, then BU/GW. Which sounds odd, because if you look below you'll see Harvard and Yale. I'd do a lot to get into Harvard and Yale; however, I'm "locked" into what kind of epi there. I'm reproductive or chronic disease in each program, respectively. While I can't imagine I'd change that, there is something freeing about just being epi at Emory/BU/GW. Plus, the odds are that I'd get more, if any, money from those three.

But right now I have no decisions to make, so GW it is :)

I suddenly got really paranoid - like what if admissions goes on here and is all judgey?? :eek::eek:

This is the state I've been reduced to.

Reactions: 6 users
I suddenly got really paranoid - like what if admissions goes on here and is all judgey?? :eek::eek:

This is the state I've been reduced to.

That's been through my mind too ha! We're all paranoid. Emory is my first choice also. I've visited with RPCVs that are current students in the MPH program and pretty much fell in love with it & Atlanta!

Reactions: 1 users

I would go to Johns Hopkins in a heartbeat if I get accepted!

Next would be Emory, although my boyfriend has said the only place he'd be willing to relocate to is NYC, which makes Columbia a tempting second choice as well...

I'm trying not to give it too much thought as it all depends on acceptances and financial aid packages... I'm hoping those inputs will help make the decision process easier.

Guys, the wait is KILLING ME.

I got verifications from UMass Amherst, UT Southwestern, and UNT saying my applications had been received and are being reviewed. I'm actually going up to UT Southwestern later today to do interviews for their MS in Clinical Nutrition program (not MPH related, but my goal is a joint MPH/MS Nutrition so it's relevant). Haven't heard so much as a peep yet from Tufts, which is killing me because they're my first choice. Also nothing from UTSPH, but from what I understand they tend to do decisions a little later than other programs?

Ahhh!

Can I ask what school is everyone's top 1 or 2 preferences? From what I've seen most people are applying to multiple schools so I was curious :)

Ranked, because I'm OCD like that :)

1. Tufts University
2. UTSPH
3. UMass Amherst
4. UNT

My top two are pretty much tied between Emory and Columbia right now. Harvard would be up there as well if I thought I had a chance of being accepted :laugh:. I really love the programs at both Emory and Columbia, so if I happened to get accepted to both making a decision would be very difficult. On one hand, I'm already here in Atlanta and Emory has its connections to the CDC. On the other, I love Columbia's location and there are plenty of great organizations to work with in the surrounding area.

Emory was my first choice and I already confirmed my offer with them :)

Reactions: 3 users

I recently moved to Atlanta to start a fellowship at the CDC so my first choice had been Emory for a while. I've visited many times for different events and I also participated in their Global Health Case Competition when I was in undergrad and I fell in love with the public health program at Rollins. There's also a chance that I can continue my fellowship (and make some money) while I'm at school and possibly contribute to a publication. However, I have not heard back from Emory yet.

My second top choice is the University of Michigan. I participated in their summer program so I know the school well and some professors. I've been accepted to their epi/Intl health program with 50% off tuition, which makes it cheaper to attend than Emory at this point (unless Emory gives me money, but I highly doubt it). I am going to interview for their global health management program, which I heard is a very small class, so we'll see if I might even have to make a decision between the two programs if I get accepted at both!