MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an email from Columbia about a future "informal interview" for the Health Policy Program...anyone else got this or know about this? I'm so nervous!!!
Just received the same email!!! Exciting times!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got a two sentence email of acceptance from Pitt for Epi. Excited about it of course, but I read on an earlier post that they don't give funding to masters students and Pitt is expensive (would be out of state student) :( I really do like their program though. Waiting for admission decisions is excruciating, but making a decision is just as bad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I received the same email! Has anyone done the interview??? Tips please??
Thanks!

Not sure if this is the case, but my friend is a second year in Columbia's health management and policy program and she said she's conducting some interviews. I guess it's informal because you will be speaking with students? But this might be for something else!

Just got a two sentence email of acceptance from Pitt for Epi. Excited about it of course, but I read on an earlier post that they don't give funding to masters students and Pitt is expensive (would be out of state student) :( I really do like their program though. Waiting for admission decisions is excruciating, but making a decision is just as bad.

I'm actually really shocked at how expensive it is. I would be considered an In-state student and even instate, it's not that much different from Emory which is private.

finally putting an end to my lurker status.

congrats UCB folk!
when did y'all apply? jw to see if i can hopefully get admitted soon too

i logged in but it doesn't say i was accepted, just that they received my application :/ but i have an acceptance email!
Same here! I'm considering whether to call the admissions office or not

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats everyone! Sounds like it was a big day for decisions!

I'm so glad everyone is starting to hear from more schools. I, on the other hand, purchased a furminator for my Dachshund. She thinks she's being massaged and my OCD brain is so happy to get these stray hairs out of her coat. I wonder if she'll be bald before I get another e-mail. Oh well, I blame the blizzard. Congrats, everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
I received the same email! Has anyone done the interview??? Tips please??
Thanks!
Could I ask which program you applied to? I havent heard anything and getting nervous... Good luck on the interviews!

Finally heard back from a school today!! Got accepted into University of Minnesota's Environmental Health program :)

Reactions: 10 users
Just got an email from Maryland College Park that I've been recommended for admission! So hopefully everyone else will start hearing from them as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from Maryland College Park that I've been recommended for admission! So hopefully everyone else will start hearing from them as well!
Thats awesome! When did you have the supplemental app done?

Undergrad School: International
Undergrad GPA: 3.43
Major/Minor: Pharmacy
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 155 V, 152 Q (29/08/2014) SOPHAS verified: 10/9/2014
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
2 years of hospital practice plus another 2 years of community pharmacy practice. Then a couple of volunteer activities, first at a HIV prevalent community, then working with another community to monitor middle-aged and elderly blood pressure increase.
***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Applied: University of Texas (MPH-Epi), North Texas (MPH-Epi), UAB (MSPH), Boston(MPH-Epi), University of South Carolina(MSPH), Texas A&M(MPH), Georgia State (MPH), University of Illinois (MPH-Epi).
Accepted: University of Texas (22/1), North Texas (12/11), UAB- MSPH (31/10/2014) and Boston - MPH (15/1)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congratulations!!!!

Now I'm a #nervouswreck I think my BP just skyrocketed.

I cant even breathe omg, now im getting nervous. but on the bright side at least someone has heard

I am also in the same boat for the UTHSC people. I'm not sure what the e-mail means, but maybe once they send the login info, we can see our acceptance letters?
I got my log in info this morning, and there is literally NOTHING on the page. No "To Do List" or anything. I tried refreshing it but nothing's working o_O

Yeah I didnt apply via SOPHAS, i applied directly to Bloomberg.. I still highly doubt I got in tho lol. And i applied to their MHA program. But I have seen that they can take a while to send out decisions.. thanks ! are u there now?

Yup! I am a first year MHS student in the epidemiology program so I applied through the Bloomberg application as well. They take a while to send out decisions, but I'm not sure about the specifics of the MHA degree program.

Just got into Pitt's Health Policy and Management program!! I'm really leaning towards it because my relative is a doctor at their hospital~ it's a nice boost after yesterday's UPenn rejection lol

Reactions: 5 users
finally putting an end to my lurker status.

congrats UCB folk!
when did y'all apply? jw to see if i can hopefully get admitted soon too

I applied 11/24. I got an e-mail with my acceptance from the school of public health, then I got an email about an hour later from the Graduate school department at Berkeley that told me there was an update to the status of my application and to login to view it...after I logged in the official letter was there!

For anyone who applied to UIllinois at Chicago - they called me today to let me know they're recommending me for admission. He said that they've been experiencing technical difficulties but hope to send out a round of official decisions by the end of next week!
can i ask when you submitted your application there?

I just got the infamous "it is the determination of the committee that your application is not sufficiently competitive for this program" email from Pitt. I'm not surprised at all since they emphasize GRE scores so heavily. Plus, no funding for epidemiology is a no go, but it still isn't fun to read. Now, if only BU, Tufts, or Emory would admit me!

Rejected by Yale's epi of microbial diseases program. Good luck to those still waiting to hear!

Yup! I am a first year MHS student in the epidemiology program so I applied through the Bloomberg application as well. They take a while to send out decisions, but I'm not sure about the specifics of the MHA degree program.
Given your user name, are you focusing on neuroepidemiology?

Just got into UNC's MCH program! Omg, I'm 5 for 5 and I have no idea what I'm going to decide. Berkeley was a reach school because of avg GPA and experience, but personal circumstances have changed and now I have the opportunity to just pack up and leave the east coast for a while.

I was under the impression that yale didn't conduct interviews for mph applicants. Did I miss something?

I had never heard of MPH interviews for Yale. Then I got to this forum and everyone was talking about Yale and interviews and I got super worried/self conscious. So, if they are doing interviews for MPH candidates, we can not be selected together. In fact, from your screen name, I think we should just skip them and do some Pure Barre together. Seems like way more fun.

Reactions: 3 users
I had never heard of MPH interviews for Yale. Then I got to this forum and everyone was talking about Yale and interviews and I got super worried/self conscious. So, if they are doing interviews for MPH candidates, we can not be selected together. In fact, from your screen name, I think we should just skip them and do some Pure Barre together. Seems like way more fun.

Can I also not be interviewed?

Undergrad School: Public University in Midwest
Undergrad GPA: 3.98

Major/Minor: Biomedical Science w/ Nutrition Emphasis, Honors College
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE: 165 V (95%) 161 Q (80%) 4.5 W (80%)
- Research Assistant for 1.5 years on USDA-funded Food Access project. Under the grant I conducted an independent public health & nutrition project to fulfill my senior project. I presented my poster at two local conferences and will present at my state's dietetic conference this year.
- Research Assistant for 5 months on another public health/nutrition project.
- Founder and President of the on-campus Nutrition Club (2 years)
- Various volunteer activities at hospitals, local food/community centers, etc. I have presented at some of them.

Applied: UWash MPH Nutrition Sciences/GCPD
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I only applied to UW, so I really reallyyyyy hope I get in. I had my interview with the GCPD last week and getting in is all I've been able to think about since then. I hate this waiting!! Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those who have already received their acceptance letters!

Congrats to everybody who has received acceptances today! It's been another silent week for me. Hoping that February brings good news for everybody still waiting!

how do u like it there? ive been around the campus briefly but never stuck to hang around much. & the biggest attraction about the MHA programs is the 2nd year is essentially tuition free because you are working the entire time, so its a super accelerated first year. Also love the fact you are a neuroscience major, I am too !! Why did u not pursue neuro research or med school, if u dont mind my asking?

Given your user name, are you focusing on neuroepidemiology?

Nope, I was a neuroscience major in undergrad. I'm interested in chronic disease Epidemiology.

Nope, I was a neuroscience major in undergrad. I'm interested in chronic disease Epidemiology.
Ah, I see, cool. I want to do psych epi and I'm having trouble figuring out what the "best school for that" is.

how do u like it there? ive been around the campus briefly but never stuck to hang around much. & the biggest attraction about the MHA programs is the 2nd year is essentially tuition free because you are working the entire time, so its a super accelerated first year. Also love the fact you are a neuroscience major, I am too !! Why did u not pursue neuro research or med school, if u dont mind my asking?

I like it here a lot. The professors are very cool and approachable (generalization) from the ones that I have encountered. I feel like I can really accomplish a lot here just due to the extensive research focus that the school has in general but particularly the department of epidemiology. Baltimore is not bad, but I haven't really explored it since I'm always studying (quarter system is pretty fast paced). I think each new incoming class bonds with individuals in their respective degree program and track which makes a big school seem small and manageable. The amount of world renown experts and researchers here is amazing. There is a strong sense of collaboration at Hopkins. For the second year I'll be doing mainly research and teaching so the 75% bonus is a huge plus.

I will apply to medical school in a few years. I want to get more research experience under my belt. I am interested in applying clinical knowledge to population based health disparities research (i.e. becoming a cardiologist and conducting cardiovascular epidemiological research studies). I'm on the fence though whether I should pursue a PhD or MD or both, but I'll just keep focusing on school/research and let me interests evolve before I decide.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll throw a new school into the mix. I applied to the MPH/MA program at San Diego State, and my application status has been "DEPARTMENT REVIEWING FILE FOR PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY" since December 10th. Called enrollment services, where they told me the graduate program has a May 15 deadline to get back to me. I was forwarded directly to epidemiology admissions, but they were out of the office.

Congrats to all those who got acceptances this week, and I'm sorry to hear Pittsburgh is still being mean to people!

Another week of silence.. Congrats everyone on your acceptances!!! :) Fingers crossed we have lots of news next week

Oh- and GO HAWKS <3

Reactions: 4 users
Just discovered this forum so thought I'd join the party!

Undergrad School:
International Public Research University
Undergrad GPA: 3.75
Major/Minor: Business
GRE: 165 V (95%) 166 Q (92%) 5.0 W (93%)
Experience/Research:
- Student executive on numerous public health related groups on campus
- Research assistant & teaching assistant
- Volunteer work with local public health agencies and hospital

Applied:
UCLA (12/1/14), Columbia (12/1/2014), Michigan (12/15/2014) , Hopkins (12/16/2014), Yale (12/23/2014), UPenn (12/23/2014) all in Health Policy and Management
Accepted: Yale (1/15/2015) , UPenn (1/27/2015)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Ah, I see, cool. I want to do psych epi and I'm having trouble figuring out what the "best school for that" is.

That's a more specific focus and I couldn't tell you the best school for that. They don't have a specific track for psych epidemiology, but I know there are professors in the mental health department that have joint appointments in the department of epidemiology that focus on psychiatric epidemiological research. I believe there are courses for psychiatric epidemiology as well.

Congrats to everyone with good news today! For those who've applied to Columbia and applied for financial aid - are we really required to fill out the parental section of the FAFSA? My fault for not realizing I had to do that section (only Columbia seems to require it of the four places I applied); I just want to be sure I definitely have to do it...and that's all that's required right now, right? The FAFSA?

Congrats to everyone with good news today! For those who've applied to Columbia and applied for financial aid - are we really required to fill out the parental section of the FAFSA? My fault for not realizing I had to do that section (only Columbia seems to require it of the four places I applied); I just want to be sure I definitely have to do it...and that's all that's required right now, right? The FAFSA?
I'm wondering about this too. I'm in my 30s. Am I really supposed to ask my one living parent to share this information? Everything about this process is so... mysterious.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm wondering about this too. I'm in my 30s. Am I really supposed to ask my one living parent to share this information? Everything about this process is so... mysterious.

YES. It seems super invasive for me to ask for this info.

Last edited:
Got an email from UCLA tonight that I'm "recommended for admission":soexcited: but that the Graduate Division makes the "final decision". :eyebrow: I'm kind of thrown by the language to be honest; "we are hopeful the [Graduate Division] will agree with our decision".

I guess that's an acceptance . . .?:shrug: I really hope so, because UCLA would be very near if not the top of my list, but I still haven't applied to SDSU (and now I don't know if I should).

I'm also really surprised to be hearing anything so early, because my GRE quant score was okay but not great. I thought UCLA might be a stretch because of that. So, hey, maybe a little hope for fellow mid-50th percentile folk out there. Anyway, congrats to everyone who's been accepted.

Oh, and as far as the FAFSA for Columbia is concerned, I read those instructions but didn't personally follow them. I'm almost 30 years old and have been living on my own since I was 19. I wouldn't even be comfortable asking my parents these questions. Not to get on a rant, but my parents' income has exactly zero relevance to my being able to afford graduate school. I don't know why this bugged me so much, but it felt like this whole Columbia financial aid process was very . . . untoward, for lack of a better word. It just really turned me off to what is otherwise a very enticing program.

Last edited:
Got an email from UCLA tonight that I'm "recommended for admission":soexcited: but that the Graduate Division makes the "final decision". :eyebrow: I'm kind of thrown by the language to be honest; "we are hopeful the [Graduate Division] will agree with our decision".

I guess that's an acceptance . . .?:shrug:
I think you can rest easy. That's basically a formality; a nod to the authority of the university's senior leadership.

While technically the university's graduate school has the power to review and reverse any subordinate school's/department's admissions decision, that's hardly ever an issue. If it was, the university president would be looking for a new dean or department head.

As long as the subordinate leadership (i.e. dean/department head) enjoys the confidence of the senior leadership, the selections made by their admissions committees are rarely, if ever, questioned by the university graduate school. Congrats on your selection.

I guess that's an acceptance . . .?:shrug: I really hope so, because UCLA would be very near if not the top of my list, but I still haven't applied to SDSU (and now I don't know if I should).

I'm also really surprised to be hearing anything so early, because my GRE quant score was okay but not great. I thought UCLA might be a stretch because of that. So, hey, maybe a little hope for fellow mid-50th percentile folk out there. Anyway, congrats to everyone who's been accepted.

Oh, and as far as the FAFSA for Columbia is concerned, I read those instructions but didn't personally follow them. I'm almost 30 years old and have been living on my own since I was 19. I wouldn't even be comfortable asking my parents these questions. Not to get on a rant, but my parents' income has exactly zero relevance to my being able to afford graduate school. I don't know why this bugged me so much, but it felt like this whole Columbia financial aid process was very . . . untoward, for lack of a better word. It just really turned me off to what is otherwise a very enticing program.

The same thing happened to me with Berkeley...the official letter from the graduate division came like an hour later for me so yes you are accepted to UCLA congratulations!!

Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt? My last correspondence was a generic email that said i would be notified of a decision no later than February 1st. So...big batch of emails out tomorrow?

Yah, also the time in which they require the info. I'm probably gonna have to send in a correction, because both my parents and I can only estimate the vast majority of our income information. I haven't even received all of my W-2s yet.

Undergrad School: Large State School (but not super well known)
Undergrad GPA: 3.77
Major/Minor: Global Health and Conflict Studies
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken): Jan 2015, 144 Q, 156 V, awaiting Writing

Undergrad Research Grant. Published paper in Int'l journal as first author.
4 months in a PT Office
Prior military, with a lot of overseas experience, not particularly important, but relevant.

Applied (30Jan15): UIC-Epi/MCH, GW-MCH, USF-MCH, GMU-EPI
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted: