MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
While you guys are in the mood of helping ppl lol... Im still stuck between Georgetown and University of Maryland for the MHA. Both programs are small so I'd get attention. However, GTown is ~50K a year while me being in state at UMD would result at about ~15K per year. A HUGE DIFFERENCE. Obviously GTown has the name and is ranked, but its not high enough for me to really justify paying that much. UMD is ranked in public health overall but not for the MHA, however, its still a really great state research school. The faculty at both have areas of interest that align with my goals and Im sure I could get the experience I want at each institution. But Georgetown just has that prestige that is so hard for me to ignore, not to mention the connection to 7+ hospitals in the DC area. Locations are different, but I could easily get into the city from UMD in about 20 minutes or less. After I graduate, I plan on doing some work in consulting, I'd be open to a C suite (management) position later on but I'm really concerned with health disparities/quality improvement efforts. Also considering potentially going back for a doctorate later on. UMD has the exact type of doctoral program I would apply for while Georgetown doesn't. In all honesty, I didnt think GTown would accept me and had planned on attending UMD but now that they did accept me Im having a hard time saying no. A little back story I was waitlisted for GTown applying to undergrad and later accepted, but I had already committed to attending Temple and wanted a change of scenery (from DC metro area) so I was like screw it.. Looking back on it Im kind of regretting not attending Georgetown, but also super stoked to be graduating undergrad with 0 debt in part to my partial scholarship and my cash cow dad lmao.

HELP ME SOMEONE PLEASE !!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally would go where the money is and get really involved with the faculty and research if applicable to what you want to do. If you are confident that you will receive a great education I would go for it.
Yeah I truly think that in upcoming years after the program has been around for a while it will get more recognition because of the quality of education and the faculty (I went to stony for undergrad and I've worked with faculty and have taken classes within the public health school). So with that being said, I think that building relationships with the faculty can still open doors for me. Your suggestion makes complete sense. Thank you so much! You guys really are amazing.

What are you guys' thoughts on emailing about your application status more than once? GW and USF(Ca) are WAYYY past their designated dates, and I am really scared I'm lost in a pile. For both schools it's been 12+ weeks. USF originally said 6 weeks and GW 8-10. I emailed both end of January (about the 26th, if I recall correctly) and both made it seem like it would be one more week. I'm frustrated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Im currently a Stony brook undergrad and I know a little about the program. I applied out to other schools because I was sure I could gain a better education for an mph elsewhere along with better research/practicums. The mph is very new and many of the students in it come from Stony brook undergrad and this might sound mean but they are students who didn't know what they wanted to do so they just applied into the mph. Or are doing the mph until they get into Stony brook med. Truthfully, I don't think the program is worth the time. A full ride is hard to argue against anywhere really haha. The program is small and if your interests match with the work going on/professors projects then that's a definitive plus. The school isn't really close enough to NYC to be useful for internships or part time jobs with public health work in the city. Columbia would offer more in regards to that.

I'm hope some of this helps!
Thank you! I went to stony brook for undergrad too. I happened to like the faculty for public health in particular a lot. However, you are right in regards to the students who enter the program. I know a couple of people who entered for those same reasons lol. You are also completely right about its location. However, like you said I have to do my research to see if any of the faculty are doing research that matches my interests. That's probably going to be the biggest deciding factor. If there aren't really any, I'll definitely have to turn it down because it definitely won't be worth it. Thank you! You definitely helped.

Hey everyone! I've been lurking this thread since I submitted my applications in December, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight or opinions about Pitt's MPH program and it's reputation (specifically their Behavioral and Community Health Sciences concentration).
Pitt in general has an excellent MPH program and reputation (though I have specifically been researching epi programs). However, they give no masters scholarships which is a huge drawback for me. They have a long standing program with lots of connections all over the US and seem to really care about finding their students opportunities. I visited Pitt and really liked the program (though the building is very old and kind of dark). It was one of my top choices until they said no funding, and now it's been knocked out of the running for me. If funding isn't an issue for you, it definitely is a great program and will open up lots of opportunities for you.

While you guys are in the mood of helping ppl lol... Im still stuck between Georgetown and University of Maryland for the MHA. Both programs are small so I'd get attention. However, GTown is ~50K a year while me being in state at UMD would result at about ~15K per year. A HUGE DIFFERENCE. Obviously GTown has the name and is ranked, but its not high enough for me to really justify paying that much. UMD is ranked in public health overall but not for the MHA, however, its still a really great state research school. The faculty at both have areas of interest that align with my goals and Im sure I could get the experience I want at each institution. But Georgetown just has that prestige that is so hard for me to ignore, not to mention the connection to 7+ hospitals in the DC area. Locations are different, but I could easily get into the city from UMD in about 20 minutes or less. After I graduate, I plan on doing some work in consulting, I'd be open to a C suite (management) position later on but I'm really concerned with health disparities/quality improvement efforts. Also considering potentially going back for a doctorate later on. UMD has the exact type of doctoral program I would apply for while Georgetown doesn't. In all honesty, I didnt think GTown would accept me and had planned on attending UMD but now that they did accept me Im having a hard time saying no. A little back story I was waitlisted for GTown applying to undergrad and later accepted, but I had already committed to attending Temple and wanted a change of scenery (from DC metro area) so I was like screw it.. Looking back on it Im kind of regretting not attending Georgetown, but also super stoked to be graduating undergrad with 0 debt in part to my partial scholarship and my cash cow dad lmao.

With anything, but especially something like MHA, I think what is going to be helpful in making a decision will be to ask for employment data of recent grads along with information on internships/practicum opportunities (examples of exact employers and positions). If Georgetown is that much more expensive but will get you the job you want, to me that's worth it. But if you're relatively equally likely to get the job you want at both schools, obviously having less debt is ideal.

Personally, I would go with the institution that would provide me with the greatest opportunities. If it's equal then go with Maryland because of the money aspect. However, if it's Georgetown go there because opportunities along with the name will land you a great job and will also help you to get into a great PhD program. It will be so worth it in the end. Good luck! ☺️

With anything, but especially something like MHA, I think what is going to be helpful in making a decision will be to ask for employment data of recent grads along with information on internships/practicum opportunities (examples of exact employers and positions). If Georgetown is that much more expensive but will get you the job you want, to me that's worth it. But if you're relatively equally likely to get the job you want at both schools, obviously having less debt is ideal.
see Georgetown publishes the average salary and sector of employment post grad for all students which is super helpful, but UMD doesnt. that's definitely worth me asking them. thanks for that.
Personally, I would go with the institution that would provide me with the greatest opportunities. If it's equal then go with Maryland because of the money aspect. However, if it's Georgetown go there because opportunities along with the name will land you a great job and will also help you to get into a great PhD program. It will be so worth it in the end. Good luck! ☺️
good luck to you as well and thank u !!

Anyone know if BU has a visit day scheduled for accepted students?

Yup! I posted the link in the BU 2015 thread so head over there for the link. Recap: March 27 and April 24. I'm going March 27 and, assuming I am the 99% at Harvard, I'll be hoping to sign a lease in South End for BU that weekend!

Yup! I posted the link in the BU 2015 thread so head over there for the link. Recap: March 27 and April 24. I'm going March 27 and, assuming I am the 99% at Harvard, I'll be hoping to sign a lease in South End for BU that weekend!

Thank you! It would have been nice to meet but I'm going for the Yale visit day also on the 27th! And yeah, I'm waiting on Harvard too. I think I went a bit crazy today refreshing my email and logging into the portal although it is a long shot for me as well :heckyeah:

Thank you! It would have been nice to meet but I'm going for the Yale visit day also on the 27th! And yeah, I'm waiting on Harvard too. I think I went a bit crazy today refreshing my email and logging into the portal although it is a long shot for me as well :heckyeah:

It's gonna be like the Red Wedding all over again when they send out their decisions :scared:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stopped reading obsessively once I got admission to Emory.... now wondering when we'll hear about any merit scholarships... I think any day.

Reactions: 2 users
Harvard released on the 27th last year... Let's all hope today's the day and the wait is over!!

And I agree, I am waiting anxiously for aid packages from Emory and Columbia as well (and technically Florida, too).

Reactions: 3 users
Stopped reading obsessively once I got admission to Emory.... now wondering when we'll hear about any merit scholarships... I think any day.

As far as I know, the Epi department at Emory has given out merit scholarships because I contacted them and asked. But I am not sure about other departments. You can definitely email them about it. They are really nice people in my opinion.

Received this eMail this morning:

"Congratulations! Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine (SPHTM) has accepted you to study for the Master of Public Health (MPH) degree in Epidemiology in the Department of Epidemiology for Fall 2015."

Woohoo!

Reactions: 12 users
Congrats to that luck one! Now I am even more nervous ... :sick:
I wish I had applied to Brown. I didn't out of laziness - I didn't want to ask my recommenders to submit to a 4th place :-/ But it looks like they give out funding, which is very nice, and Providence sounds wonderful. Good luck!!

Yes, I believe it's March 27. They sent me an email about it about a month ago, so I'm sure they'll let you know soon.

Received an 18k scholarship from Boston and financial aid info from GWU...like $55k in all loans and that's just the first year sooooo that's probably a no.

Anyone have any insight into Berkeley's public health school? So far I know that the MCH average cohort size is 8-10 people which is super small but would definitely mean one-on-one time with faculty.

Reactions: 2 users
Received an 18k scholarship from Boston and financial aid info from GWU...like $55k in all loans and that's just the first year sooooo that's probably a no.

Anyone have any insight into Berkeley's public health school? So far I know that the MCH average cohort size is 8-10 people which is super small but would definitely mean one-on-one time with faculty.

I received the same information. BU takes half the time, and both schools are ranked about the same. I'd rather live in DC, but I'm leaning towards BU.

What is the appropriate attire for accepted student open house events?

Reactions: 1 users
As far as I know, the Epi department at Emory has given out merit scholarships because I contacted them and asked. But I am not sure about other departments. You can definitely email them about it. They are really nice people in my opinion.
That's correct, I also asked. All of their scholarships have been given out. If you were awarded one, you would know by now.

That's correct, I also asked. All of their scholarships have been given out. If you were awarded one, you would know by now.
Damn. Did they send emails or is it updated on opus somewhere?

What is the appropriate attire for accepted student open house events?

I always wear dress pants, simple leather belt, tuck in a nice blouse and medium-sized heels (or flats, but I'm short so I have to go with heels otherwise my pants will drag), hair: down, in a bun, or pulled back...

Same goes for Columbia...

Columbia said they haven't packaged anything yet...

This was in my email, I'm assuming we still have another week to find out. Since the first day is next week Friday.

"If you are a recipient, you will be notified prior to admitted students day if you have been accepted."

This was in my email, I'm assuming we still have another week to find out. Since the first day is next week Friday.

"If you are a recipient, you will be notified prior to admitted students day if you have been accepted."
The merit scholarships have been sent out already according to a financial aid officer. The need-based packages haven't gone out yet though

That's a bummer. Do you mean all merit scholarships or just epi and When were people notified?

I guess I'm going to e-mail both Emory and Columbia just to double check. I have my NYC trip already planned and paid for but if Emory is not giving me any funding I probably will count them out. Kind of bummed but it might help to narrow decisions.

The merit scholarships have been sent out already according to a financial aid officer. The need-based packages haven't gone out yet though

Lol tbh at this point I'm just still waiting to hear back about my interview...

&My SOPHAS application still hasn't verified :/ they said today it should be verified! Sigh, so I am assuming all the other schools I've applied for won't look at me until its verified

Financial aid officer said all merit awards have gone out... They also said you needed 3.70 GPA and 90th+ percentile in all sections of GRE to qualify.

That's a bummer. Do you mean all merit scholarships or just epi and When were people notified?

Here is what Emory told me about a week ago:
"Unfortunately, regarding the MPH or MSPH programs, we have very few scholarships and the ones that we do have were awarded already."

I'm pretty sure the only other aid you can get is loans from the government and private loans. Their website specifically says no tuition assistance is provided. However, a lot of people do work at the CDC while attending school. Job opportunities related to public health are copious in Atlanta. (CDC, AHA, American Cancer Society)

Financial aid officer said all merit awards have gone out... They also said you needed 3.70 GPA and 90th+ percentile in all sections of GRE to qualify.

Hmmmm not according to the email I got a couple of days ago... but ya I got the 3.70/90th% GRE.

What did your email say?

Email I received from Columbia's Financial Aid Office 4 days ago so things could have changed; but I was told they are still awarding Merit based scholarship and I will find out before March 6th (student-admit day) but they cannot tell me at the moment if I personally have been awarded since a decision has not been made about my application at the moment.

Like others, I'm having a tough time deciding what is my best option next year, and I would love some advice! Of the programs I was accepted to thus far, I have narrowed my decision down to Yale and Emory (MS/MSPH Biostatstics). Tulane remains in the back of my mind, likely only because I completed my undergraduate degree there last fall. I have not recieved awards from any of the programs I have applied to, and tuition for the two is about the same. However, I grew up in New Haven and have since moved back after graduating. Therefore, the living expenses attending Yale would be next to nothing as compared to those at Emory. Atlanta has great opportunities in the field of biostatistics, and I'm nervous that I'll be stuck working in pharma (least desirable field for me) if I remain in Connecticut. Ranking is pretty important to me, as well, and Emory is the highest ranked (Us News 2011) school that I applied to. If anyone has any advice or experience at either school, please let me know!!

Like others, I'm having a tough time deciding what is my best option next year, and I would love some advice! Of the programs I was accepted to thus far, I have narrowed my decision down to Yale and Emory (MS/MSPH Biostatstics). Tulane remains in the back of my mind, likely only because I completed my undergraduate degree there last fall. I have not recieved awards from any of the programs I have applied to, and tuition for the two is about the same. However, I grew up in New Haven and have since moved back after graduating. Therefore, the living expenses attending Yale would be next to nothing as compared to those at Emory. Atlanta has great opportunities in the field of biostatistics, and I'm nervous that I'll be stuck working in pharma (least desirable field for me) if I remain in Connecticut. Ranking is pretty important to me, as well, and Emory is the highest ranked (Us News 2011) school that I applied to. If anyone has any advice or experience at either school, please let me know!!

This is just my two cents; but if you plan on completing an MPH/MHA/MSPH etc... and this is your end goal and you are NOT using this as a stepping-stone for a professional programs (MD, DDS/DDM, JD, etc...) with top ranking schools you get the money back that you put in; employment rates should be higher/easier. Industries will recgonize the name, not just because its a fancy name but schools like JH, UMich, Columbia, etc... they didn't just get their names pulled out of a magic hat lol the ranking says a lot about the University, Culture, Opportunities you will gain as a student, Student Body, Faculty that will be your mentors, the connections the school has with the outside world, the Guest Lecturers you will have the opportunity of mingling with etc...

But if you plan on using the degree as a stepping-stone your focus would shift more towards: 1) GPA 2) How the instituitions view your stepping-stone degree.

I already have 1 MS degree, and I used it as a stepping-stone, but while I kept my GPA high I didn't realize that because of the name of my degree schools didn't recognize the hard work I put in. My degree was basically Molecular Biology but my MS had a misleading name and no matter how many times I explained it to people or even that they see my Publication is in Molecular Biology/Oncology I still get the stink face lool; so this is just my friendly advice to everyone using this degree as a stepping-stone I wish I knew this earlier.

Last edited:
I was talking about Emory. I'm not sure about Columbia, I never asked them.

Accepted into Harvard MD/MPH Global Health!

Reactions: 15 users
In at Harvard!!! Global Health.:soexcited:

Reactions: 16 users