MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone give advice on this?
Hi KayCZero I'm an RN too and I have some of the same questions :) Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily related to admissions but I am curious... Is anyone considering going to medical school after their MPH? When are you finishing your pre reqs if so? I'm pretty sure I'm doing the PhD track, but I want to keep the med school option open and I have o chem, bio chem, and genetics left to take. I'm not in any rush though; I'm doing the MPH so I can start doing research sooner rather than later. Med school would only be if I find career options limited by not having an MD.

Also, does anyone have an idea of which schools tend to be more generous with funding/scholarships at the master's level?

Same here! I also consider either continuing the PhD/DrPH track or going to medical school after getting my MPH/MS degree.

Concerning the pre-med stuff, I am almost done with the pre-reqs. If time allows, I might take biochem and/or perhaps some social science courses for the new MCAT, while working and completing the master's program.

About MPH programs, I was fortunate to get accepted into UTSPH (11/21) and George Washington (11/12). UTSPH is one of my top choices, so I am very happy and satisfied! Now, I am just waiting to hear back from BU, Yale, and other reach schools.

I am glad to hear that there are others who have the same intentions or ambitions as myself. Please let me know if I can be any help.

I'm posting this late, but I was afraid of getting too neurotic until I heard some good news!

Undergrad School:
Smith College (right below ya on that list, @JewcyFruit! Obligatory high-five for another women's college alumna!)
Undergrad GPA: 3.47
Major/Minor: Sociology (major) / Chemistry (minor)
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken): V 161, Q 158, AWA 4.5 (taken July 2013)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
  • 3 month internship in Environmental Health department of my home state's health department
  • 4 month internship in DC office of one of my home state's senators
  • 2+ years (will be just under 3 by enrollment) full-time nonprofit trade association work - not in public health field
Applied: Columbia (MPH - Sociomedical Sciences), GWU (MPH - Community-Oriented Primary Care), Yale (MPH - Social and Behavioral Sciences), UMD (MPH - Behavioral and Community Health)
Accepted: GWU (11/26 via email), Columbia (2/6 via email), UMD (2/9 - recommended for admission via email; 2/14 - officially admitted through application portal)
Rejected: Yale (2/6 via email)
Waitlisted:

GWU is my top-choice because I currently live in DC (and love it) and want to work on federal initiatives someday...also, the specific program pretty much reads exactly like what I wanted to do with a MPH, so pretty stoked right now. :)

As you can see, I don't have very much public health (or health, for that matter) experience and no research experience - so hope this gives some reassurance on chances! GWU had a quick turnaround time too - about a month from submitting through SOPHAS to their unofficial email acceptance yesterday. I'm not done with the application process since I still want to apply elsewhere; sending out good vibes to all of you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same here! I also consider either continuing the PhD/DrPH track or going to medical school after getting my MPH/MS degree.

Concerning the pre-med stuff, I am almost done with the pre-reqs. If time allows, I might take biochem and/or perhaps some social science courses for the new MCAT, while working and completing the master's program.

About MPH programs, I was fortunate to get accepted into UTSPH (11/21) and George Washington (11/12). UTSPH is one of my top choices, so I am very happy and satisfied! Now, I am just waiting to hear back from BU, Yale, and other reach schools.

I am glad to hear that there are others who have the same intentions or ambitions as myself. Please let me know if I can be any help.
That's great! Congrats on your acceptances.

So you're finishing your pre-med during the MPH? I'm registered for o chem next semester but I'm wondering if it's a bad idea. I need to get my condo ready to sell and on the market and hopefully visit schools and money doesn't grow on trees... But on the other hand it's in state tuition...

Have you talked to anyone about how realistic pre-reqs are on top of the MPH curriculum? Some schools make it sound like it'd be hard to do; some make it sound like it'd be reasonable.

I guess I'll see what I feel like doing in January after I start hearing from schools, haha.

Undergrad School: Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Undergrad GPA: 2.8
Major/Minor: Biochemistry, Concentration Molecular Biology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE 153 V 150 Q 3.5 AW taken 6/14/2014. Taking again Nov 1st.
Experience/Research
4 months as a laboratory intern at a Gallo Winery in Napa.
1.5 years and running as a preclinical imaging lab manager at UCSF in the radiology and biomedical imaging department.
Got accepted to volunteer in India in public health and community medicine May 2015 through an SF-based NGO.

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Applied: Applying to Colorado State (Global Health), Boston University (Global Health), Vanderbilt (Global Health), Lund University in Sweden (MPH), and London School (MPH)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Anyone want to guess my odds as well (because of my low GPA)??

Hi!
I can relate! According to SOPHAS I had a 2.9 gpa when I completed my degree in Biology from Rutgers University. I busted my bum and did 34 credits of post bac work in the sciences and humanities finishing with a 3.88gpa. That brought my overall SOPHAS gpa to a 3.155. I scored a 151V 149Q 4 on the essays. My work history consists of about 10 years of healthcare experience. Majority of it was from volunteering at the same pediatric office since the age of 14. I have also been an EMT for 3 years. I was accepted to Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai's MPH program. Anything is possible! Just BELIEVE!

Reactions: 2 users
Speaking of confirmation, has anybody heard from Mt. Sinai or Georgia State? I've received confirmation from all of the other schools that I applied to, but neither of those have sent me any correspondence. They are both smaller programs, so they may not send out anything, but it would be nice to know that they have received my application.

Yes! I was accepted to Mt. Sinai's MPH program! Ironically the turn around for me was about a week after they received my GRE scores. This could also be because I applied for the Spring 2015 entry and not the fall.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm posting this late, but I was afraid of getting too neurotic until I heard some good news!

Undergrad School:
Smith College (right below ya on that list, @JewcyFruit! Obligatory high-five for another women's college alumna!)
  • 3 month internship in Environmental Health department of my home state's health department
  • 2 years full-time nonprofit (trade association) work - not in public health field
Applied: Columbia (Sociomedical Sciences), GWU (Community-Oriented Primary Care)
Will (Probably) Apply: Yale (Social and Behavioral Sciences), UMD (Behavioral and Community Health)
Accepted: GWU (11/26 via email)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

GWU is my top-choice because I currently live in DC (and love it) and want to work on federal initiatives someday...also, the specific program pretty much reads exactly like what I wanted to do with a MPH, so pretty stoked right now. :)

As you can see, I don't have very much public health (or health, for that matter) experience and no research experience - so hope this gives some reassurance on chances! GWU had a quick turnaround time too - about a month from submitting through SOPHAS to their unofficial email acceptance yesterday. I'm not done with the application process since I still want to apply elsewhere; sending out good vibes to all of you!

Congrats on your acceptance! I am applying for GWU too. Did GWU tell you anything about financial aid?

Congrats on your acceptance! I am applying for GWU too. Did GWU tell you anything about financial aid?

Thank you! They did not; this is all they included:

"As you make your decision, you may find our Financial Aid Office helpful, as well as our Office of Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships. GW is also proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program."

Although, since they said an official email would be coming this week, perhaps it will contain more info then...

Oh, and the most important part - good luck! :)

EDIT: Also should have added that I need to find out about the financial aid very much as well; since I currently have a job in DC, attending part-time is an option but I would love to study full-time instead if finances allow! I'm even more lost on this stuff than I was as a high school senior looking for undergrad aid. :eek:

Last edited:
I had no idea that SOPHAS gave out notices regarding individual applications to schools! Did you get a message of the same nature on SOPHAS regarding other schools?
Yes, I may not have been totally clear but some of the schools email through SOPHAS. So in your inbox it looks like a message from SOPHAS but it's actually from the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! They did not; this is all they included:

"As you make your decision, you may find our Financial Aid Office helpful, as well as our Office of Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships. GW is also proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program."

Although, since they said an official email would be coming this week, perhaps it will contain more info then...

Oh, and the most important part - good luck! :)

EDIT: Also should have added that I need to find out about the financial aid very much as well; since I currently have a job in DC, attending part-time is an option but I would love to study full-time instead if finances allow! I'm even more lost on this stuff than I was as a high school senior looking for undergrad aid. :eek:

I'm excited (and nervous) to see that GWU has began to give out acceptances. They are one of my top choices, so hopefully I hear from them soon. I submitted my SOPHAS on 11/3 and was verified 11/13.

Yes! I was accepted to Mt. Sinai's MPH program! Ironically the turn around for me was about a week after they received my GRE scores. This could also be because I applied for the Spring 2015 entry and not the fall.

I was accepted as well! I love both the location and the program. I was accepted into the Fall 2015 semester.

That's great! Congrats on your acceptances.

So you're finishing your pre-med during the MPH? I'm registered for o chem next semester but I'm wondering if it's a bad idea. I need to get my condo ready to sell and on the market and hopefully visit schools and money doesn't grow on trees... But on the other hand it's in state tuition...

Have you talked to anyone about how realistic pre-reqs are on top of the MPH curriculum? Some schools make it sound like it'd be hard to do; some make it sound like it'd be reasonable.

I guess I'll see what I feel like doing in January after I start hearing from schools, haha.

Thank you! And sorry for this late response. Finals are coming!

How realistic? I think this will depend on each individual's circumstances and/or abilities. I have seen people completing their pre-regs during their graduate study (for example, a good friend of mine is finishing up his pre-med stuff this semester along with other classes in his PhD program in chemistry). On the other hand, some prefer taking one step at a time. I believe that we will possibly get where we wanted to be; it is just the matter of time and quality, so do NOT rush!

From my personal experience with organic chemistry courses (especially orgo II), they were very interesting but time-consuming because we had to learn many mechanisms and reactions, including reagents, solvent systems, catalysts, possible intermediate species, and so on. However, when we knew them well, it was very straightforward like mathematics or... puzzles!

Good luck, and keep in touch! All the best.

Undergrad School: MBBS graduate from India
Undergrad GPA: 3.04(evaluated by wes)
Major/Minor: Medicine
GMAT: 640(72 %ile) V-32(66%) Q-45(63%) W- 4.5

applying only to the hopkins MHA, straight out of undergrad

WORK EX- 2 years volunteered at a local NGO as a healthcare provider during medschool
1 year clinical experience as a medical intern in the district hospital (will be complete at the time of matriculation)
1 year at the same NGO as an administrative intern

have explained my passion to follow management studies in my personal statement and explained what seems to be an average unedrgrad GPA( i was in the 80th percentile of our class)

Applied: Johns Hopkins (22/10)
application forwarded to department on 27th november

Yet to hear back, please put forward your opinion as to my chances of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)

WORK EX- 2 years volunteered at a local NGO as a healthcare provider during medschool
1 year clinical experience as a medical intern in the district hospital (will be complete at the time of matriculation)

have explained my passion to follow management studies in my personal statement and explained what seems to be an average unedrgrad GPA( i was in the 80th percentile of our class)

Yet to hear back, please put forward your opinion as to my chances of acceptance.

Contacting the school would be the best bet to get a gauge of your competitiveness. From their website:
What are the minimum test scores and undergraduate GPA?
The minimum standardized test scores are in the 55% range; however, the average scores in the quantitative and verbal sections are between 70-75%. The minimum undergraduate GPA is 3.0; however the average is closer to 3.45.

Obviously your experience and education as well as the quality of your statement of purpose and rec letters will be taken into consideration as well, but considering that Johns Hopkins is top notch and only selects 20-25 students per year, I would suggest considering applying to at least a couple more schools to enhance your changes of getting in to a program. Hopkins may not send your decisions for a couple of months, and that could be well past deadlines to apply to other quality programs.

I'm excited (and nervous) to see that GWU has began to give out acceptances. They are one of my top choices, so hopefully I hear from them soon. I submitted my SOPHAS on 11/3 and was verified 11/13.

Good luck!! What program did you apply to?

Also, you applied right around the time I did - except I was verified 10/28 and submitted to GW 11/11. So, they seem to have a quick turnaround time indeed!! Hopefully you hear good news soon!

Contacting the school would be the best bet to get a gauge of your competitiveness. From their website:
What are the minimum test scores and undergraduate GPA?
The minimum standardized test scores are in the 55% range; however, the average scores in the quantitative and verbal sections are between 70-75%. The minimum undergraduate GPA is 3.0; however the average is closer to 3.45.

Obviously your experience and education as well as the quality of your statement of purpose and rec letters will be taken into consideration as well, but considering that Johns Hopkins is top notch and only selects 20-25 students per year, I would suggest considering applying to at least a couple more schools to enhance your changes of getting in to a program. Hopkins may not send your decisions for a couple of months, and that could be well past deadlines to apply to other quality programs.

I second @KPZ; I'm not super well-read on Johns Hopkins admissions because I saw the public health experience req's and nope-d out of there before getting too sad. No matter the school, it is a good idea to apply to other ones as well! You may find one that suits you better or gives you more aid!

Good luck!! What program did you apply to?

Also, you applied right around the time I did - except I was verified 10/28 and submitted to GW 11/11. So, they seem to have a quick turnaround time indeed!! Hopefully you hear good news soon!

Thanks! I applied to their Epidemiology program. Their e-mail said that I should hear 8-10 weeks after I submitted, but hopefully I hear something sooner since it looks like they have been contacting people.

Thanks! I applied to their Epidemiology program. Their e-mail said that I should hear 8-10 weeks after I submitted, but hopefully I hear something sooner since it looks like they have been contacting people.

Woo - awesome! I don't know if there's any discrepancy based on the timetables for review by different programs as Epi is a larger program than the COPC one, but it still seems like notices are coming in before the 8-10 week mark! Wow, I just realized there was a two week turnaround time...o_O

Woo - awesome! I don't know if there's any discrepancy based on the timetables for review by different programs as Epi is a larger program than the COPC one, but it still seems like notices are coming in before the 8-10 week mark! Wow, I just realized there was a two week turnaround time...o_O

Yeah I figure Epi will take longer, as it tends to be a very large pool of applicants. I'm just hoping to hear before the new year!

I think it's definitely program dependent. I got a confirmation email from GW that everything in my application was complete on 10/23 but I still haven't heard and I think we're going into week 7 or so now.

Undergrad School: Small East coast private school plus postbac work at a state school
Undergrad GPA: SOPHAS GPA is 3.769, undergrad is 3.53, postbac is 4.0
Major/Minor: 1st degree Economics, working on a second degree in Microbiology
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V: 165, Q: 163, AWA: 3.5 (taken on 9/23)
Over 3 years of volunteer work in 2 free clinics, an emergency room, and a homeless shelter
1 month volunteer trip to the Dominican Republic
Alternative spring break in Honduras
Senior thesis on healthcare economics
7 months of infectious disease lab research
Currently working on an epidemiology research project (started in September)
2 years of tutoring in math and economics
1 year as TA for general chemistry
Currently a TA for microbiology

Applied: App verified by SOPHAS on 10/7, applied to all Epi --> want to do infectious disease epi: Tulane (MS), Emory (GLEPI MSPH), Yale (EMD MPH), BU (MPH - withdrawn 12/18), U Pitt (PhD), SUNY Albany (PhD), Rutgers (PhD), UCLA (PhD), GWU (PhD), UNC (MSPH --> PhD, applied 12/1)
Accepted: Tulane (10/31), U Pitt (1/15), Emory (MSPH Epi) (2/11)
Rejected: Yale (1/8), GWU (1/30), SUNY Albany (2/5), UCLA (2/10), UNC (2/18)
Waitlisted:

Decision: Emory!

Last edited:
Just got an email that Tulane and Yale have begun reviewing my application :xf:

Reactions: 7 users
Undergrad School: Community college & large public state college
Undergrad GPA: 3.58
Major/Minor: Biology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE 154 V 153 Q 4.0 W taken 11/04/2014.
Experience/Research
-1 year undergraduate honors research in Immunology/Parasitology lab including a thesis & defense
-1 semester independent chemistry research project
-summer internship with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and recently accepted a research fellowship with the CDC for the next year until I start grad school.
-1 year President of Science Club
-1 semester tutor & teaching assistant
-lots of volunteer stuff

I submitted my SOPHAS app on 11/19/2014 and it was verified on 11/21/2014 (super fast!).
One of my LOR didn't submit until 11/26/2014 so my application was not considered complete until then.

Applied:
Emory
(MSPH Epidemiology/Environmental Health) - confirmation e-mail (12/1), OPUS login info (12/14), application sent to 1st choice department (12/16)
University of Pittsburgh (MS Infectious Diseases/Microbiology & MS Epidemiology) - confirmation e-mail (12/1), confirmation from IDM department (12/11)
Tulane (MSPH Tropical Medicine/Parasitology & Epidemiology) -confirmation e-mail (11/24), confirmation e-mail from Tropical Medicine department (12/10)
Ohio State University (Veterinary Public Health) - confirmation e-mail (12/1), confirmation e-mail from department (12/3), invited to interview with the program director (1/7), interview (1/30)
Accepted: Pitt (M.S. EPI 12/15 & M.S. IDM 12/16), Tulane (1/13), Emory (MPH Environmental Health 1/28), OSU (2/5)
Rejected: Emory (MSPH Environmental Health/Epidemiology joint program)
Waitlisted: None

Attending:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: Cleveland State University
Undergrad GPA: 3.58
Major/Minor: Biology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
GRE 154 V 153 Q 4.0 W taken 11/04/2014.
Experience/Research
-1 year undergraduate honors research in Immunology/Parasitology lab including a thesis & defense
-1 semester independent chemistry research project
-summer internship with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and recently accepted a research fellowship with the CDC for the next year until I start grad school.
-1 year President of Science Club
-lots of volunteer stuff

I submitted by SOPHAS app on 11/19/2014 and it was verified on 11/21/2014 (super fast!).

Applied: Emory (MSPH Epidemiology/Environmental Health); University of Pittsburgh (Infectious Diseases/Microbiology); Tulane (Tropical Medicine/Parasitology); Ohio State University (Veterinary Public Health)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Is it just me, or does it seem like they are verifying way faster than in previous years?! How do you like the CDC? I would love to work there.

Anybody else applied to Yale and University of Illinois at Chicago and heard back from them? Those are the only two schools that haven't even acknowledged that I applied! Should I email them about it?

Anybody else applied to Yale and University of Illinois at Chicago and heard back from them? Those are the only two schools that haven't even acknowledged that I applied! Should I email them about it?

I just heard from Yale today. It was an email acknowledging they received my application.

I also heard from Yale today just letting me know that they received my application.

I just heard from Yale today. It was an email acknowledging they received my application.
I got the same email on Monday and I applied in October. I guess they are just starting to look through the applications.

I heard back from Yale instantly when SOPHAS verified my application, that was about a month ago. They said the application had been received and they had begun the initial process of reviewing it.

I heard back from UIC after submitting their supplemental application, but I never got e-mail confirmation that they received my SOPHAS. However, if you go to their website and check their application status, it should tell you whether or not they have received it. I don't think they actually send an e-mail confirmation.

Anyone heard from Dartmouth or UPenn yet? I haven't even received confirmation.

Is it just me, or does it seem like they are verifying way faster than in previous years?! How do you like the CDC? I would love to work there.

It's a great place to work, I love it here, but I'm not really passionate about the research I'm doing. The division I'm in isn't really the best fit for my interests. I would love to work for CDC's NCEZID (National Center for Emerging Zoonotic and Infectious Diseases) someday as a veterinary epidemiologist. That's why I decided to apply to infectious disease/EPI programs.

I recommend applying to the Pathways summer internships on USAJOBS.GOV. That's how I got the internship which turned into a fellowship. There are CDC locations all over the country, too.

It's a great place to work, I love it here, but I'm not really passionate about the research I'm doing. The division I'm in isn't really the best fit for my interests. I would love to work for CDC's NCEZID (National Center for Emerging Zoonotic and Infectious Diseases) someday as a veterinary epidemiologist. That's why I decided to apply to infectious disease/EPI programs.

I recommend applying to the Pathways summer internships on USAJOBS.GOV. That's how I got the internship which turned into a fellowship. There are CDC locations all over the country, too.

Are you a current student or do you already have a graduate degree? I've looked for CDC internships/fellowships but it seems that so many either want you to have a graduate degree already or be a current student. I'd love to get in with the NCEZID or the NCHHSTP one day!

I see that you want to be a veterinary epidemiologist. So are you planning to do a combined DVM/MPH? I was really interested in vet med during my undergrad, but have since become drawn towards ID work.

Not helpful information, but I've been checking this thread at all hours of the day and refreshing incessantly. I'm looking here even more than I am in my inbox!! :rolleyes:

So many things - all fascinating!

Not helpful information, but I've been checking this thread at all hours of the day and refreshing incessantly. I'm looking here even more than I am in my inbox!! :rolleyes:

So many things - all fascinating!

As anybody can probably tell from looking at my posting habits, I check this thread (and this forum) far too often!

As anybody can probably tell from looking at my posting habits, I check this thread (and this forum) far too often!

Aghhhh I can't stopppp!! I'm a little disappointed it took me nearly 30 minutes to see this, though. :(

Aghhhh I can't stopppp!! I'm a little disappointed it took me nearly 30 minutes to see this, though. :(

Same here. I'm not expecting news from schools anytime soon, so I check here more often than I check my email.

I logged into my Michigan Friend account this morning and there was a "View Admission Recommendation" link--I've been recommended for admission into the HBHE program! This is such a huge piece of news for me, I've always wanted to go to Michigan!

Reactions: 5 users
Same here. I'm not expecting news from schools anytime soon, so I check here more often than I check my email.

Yeah, I hate that we won't hear from a lot of the programs until Jan/Feb. The wait is torture!

Last edited:
I logged into my Michigan Friend account this morning and there was a "View Admission Recommendation" link--I've been recommended for admission into the HBHE program! This is such a huge piece of news for me, I've always wanted to go to Michigan!
Congratulations!

Heart dropped into my stomach as I refreshed my e-mail for the 5000th time today.

I got a message from Yale saying that my application is complete and that they will contact me again once a decision has been reached.

I can't wait any longer. The highlight of my day is refreshing my e-mail, it's kinda sad.

Are you a current student or do you already have a graduate degree? I've looked for CDC internships/fellowships but it seems that so many either want you to have a graduate degree already or be a current student. I'd love to get in with the NCEZID or the NCHHSTP one day!

I see that you want to be a veterinary epidemiologist. So are you planning to do a combined DVM/MPH? I was really interested in vet med during my undergrad, but have since become drawn towards ID work.

I have my B.S. and was planning to post-bacc this year but then I got the job offer so I took it. You do have to be a current student to get the Pathways internship, at least half-time and working towards a degree. You could do this during your graduate degree program in the summers (you don't have to be enrolled in classes). We had several students do that this past summer.

I'm planning on going for my PhD in EPI because I'm more interested in research, but I have thought about doing a DVM. I just don't think I would get accepted for a DVM program because I have zero clinical experience with animals and it's also super competitive. I might apply after getting my MPH/MSPH if I feel like my research can't progress into a PhD.

Heart dropped into my stomach as I refreshed my e-mail for the 5000th time today.

I got a message from Yale saying that my application is complete and that they will contact me again once a decision has been reached.

I can't wait any longer. The highlight of my day is refreshing my e-mail, it's kinda sad.

I'm right there with you. I feel like this is torture! I'm only about 3 weeks out since applying so it is completely unreasonable to expect a decision, but every time my phone makes the "e-mail" noise, I have a mini panic attack. They should have special considerations for neurosis, ha!

Yeah me too, more than I would like to admit.... I'm glad I'm not the only one

I'm right there with you. I feel like this is torture! I'm only about 3 weeks out since applying so it is completely unreasonable to expect a decision, but every time my phone makes the "e-mail" noise, I have a mini panic attack. They should have special considerations for neurosis, ha!
They really should! I don't think they realize how close applicants are to having nervous breakdowns during this application process!

Congratulations!!! That's so awesome!! :D

Undergrad School:
  • 2+ years (will be just under 3 by enrollment) full-time nonprofit trade association work - not in public health field
Applied: Columbia (MPH - Sociomedical Sciences), GWU (MPH - Community-Oriented Primary Care), Yale (MPH - Social and Behavioral Sciences), UMD (MPH - Behavioral and Community Health)
Accepted: GWU (11/26 via email)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Congrats!!!! How the heck did you study for your GRE? I can't seem to break 150!!

Congrats!!!! How the heck did you study for your GRE? I can't seem to break 150!!
I know you're not asking me, but I'm going to go ahead and butt in here because that's apparently my style these days.

For verbal, I used Kaplan's flashcards and vocabulary.com, where I put in all of Kaplan's words and also had been using for years so I have a bank of all of the vocab words from books I've read over the past couple of years on top of that. I also used Kaplan and ETS books and quizzes. I got a 165 (95%) on the verbal, which I was pretty happy with. If you're asking because you're planning on retaking, vocabulary.com is 100% free. Here are links to my public lists:
http://www.vocabulary.com/lists/475602
http://www.vocabulary.com/lists/482658

I got 158 (71%) on the quantitative because I didn't start early enough, but it was acceptable to me. I 100% recommend Manhattan prep; all of their quant books. The Quantitative Reasoning Bible is also good. Kaplan is a good place to start but those two get you beyond that. When I study for things like this where I have to remember facts and formulas, I put them on giant post-it notes around the house. My boyfriend hates it, but it works.

For AWA, I got Manhattan Prep's essays book. I also practiced several essays and reviewed the ETS topics online. I "followed" several publications online and looked out for main themes that were in the ETS topics. I also got a copy of the Intellectual Devotional, both biographies and the original one (I used biographies more heavily). I got a 5.5 (98%) on the AWA. Definitely get Manhattan Prep's book. The other books focus too much on grammar; it's all about writing as much as you possibly can. I finished both essays with about 10-30 seconds to review grammar, which I didn't even do and took a break instead. That being said, I'm naturally pretty good at grammar and style, so if you're not you'd want to brush up on that.

In summation:
Kaplan's book
All 3 ETS books
All Manhattan Prep quantitative books (or, more specifically, all of the subjects you need to brush up on)
Manhattan Prep's essay and reading comprehension book
Vocabulary.com
Kaplan's verbal flashcards

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

OK, I should start by saying that I'm generally pretty good with standardized tests, so I just used like a Kaplan book several months prior but didn't study too much or do a practice test. I have plenty of weaknesses elsewhere, though, haha. Unfortunately I can't really give much advice in this area as a result. :-/

I know you're not asking me, but I'm going to go ahead and butt in here because that's apparently my style these days.

For verbal, I used Kaplan's flashcards and vocabulary.com, where I put in all of Kaplan's words and also had been using for years so I have a bank of all of the vocab words from books I've read over the past couple of years on top of that. I also used Kaplan and ETS books and quizzes. I got a 165 (95%) on the verbal, which I was pretty happy with. If you're asking because you're planning on retaking, vocabulary.com is 100% free. Here are links to my public lists:
http://www.vocabulary.com/lists/475602
http://www.vocabulary.com/lists/482658

I got 158 (71%) on the quantitative because I didn't start early enough, but it was acceptable to me. I 100% recommend Manhattan prep; all of their quant books. The Quantitative Reasoning Bible is also good. Kaplan is a good place to start but those two get you beyond that.

For AWA, I got Manhattan prep's essays book. I also practiced several essays and reviewed the ETS topics online. I "followed" several publications online and looked out for main themes that were in the ETS topics. I also got a copy of the Intellectual Devotional, both biographies and the original one (I used biographies more heavily). I got a 5.5 (98%) on the AWA. Definitely get Manhattan Prep's book. The other books focus too much on grammar; it's all about writing as much as you possibly can. I finished both essays with about 10-30 seconds to review grammar, which I didn't even do and took a break instead. That being said, I'm naturally pretty good at grammar and style, so if you're not you'd want to bush up on that.

In summation:
Kaplan's book
All 3 ETS books
All Manhattan Prep quantitative books (or, more specifically, all of the subjects you need to brush up on)
Manhattan Prep's essay and reading comprehension book
Vocabulary.com
Kaplan's verbal flashcards

Thank you - this is awesome advice!

EDIT: Should have done that for the writing; I didn't prep for that all and choked on the first essay (legit left a sentence halfway done at the end) but did much better on the second one.

Last edited: