MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just accepted BU and declined the rest~ best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
You're welcome! When did you submit your application? I submitted my application to SOPHAS 1/31 and it was verified 2/26.
I submitted sometime in late December to CUNY, and it was verified by SOPHAS in early December because I had an early deadline for another school. I never received any confirmation email from CUNY, though, which I didn't think too much of at the time. But lately I've wondered since it's been dead silence from them...

thanks for the information, which cuny concentrations?
MPH Epi/Biostats for me. CUNY's probably the top of my list at the moment because of financial/location reasons, and it seems like a really solid program. I thought I tailored my statement of purpose well enough, but I'm worried my background (all internationally focused) will be seen as an anomaly for CUNY's more local focus and like I'm not serious about the school. Just hoping to hear back soon!

FYI RE Pitt's Financial Aid:

If you are applying for student loans -- in addition to the FAFSA form, you will also need to submit a supplemental form to the University. For more information on the FAFSA and to access Pitt’s supplemental form, please see https://oafa.pitt.edu/learn-about-aid/applying-for-aid/graduate-school-instructions/. (The form for the 2015-16 academic year is not yet on their Web site but should be added very soon.)

Your completed supplemental form will need to be submitted to our Student Affairs office for a signature. We will then forward to the Office of Financial Aid for their processing.

- Please note that the Office of Financial Aid does not release financial aid information until the summer semester. They usually wait until the new tuition rates are released, which typically takes place in July. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid directly with any questions – 412-624-7488.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I am an RN and I know most of you are med students but I thought I'd post here to see if you have any advice. I'm applying for my MPH in epidemiology. Nursing school was not what I expected. I was an RN at a major hospital in DC for almost 2 years but I found it's not what I want to do. I've realized my passion is for research, preventative care, and problem solving. That's why I want to get an MPH in epidemiology. Can someone tell me if I have any chance at getting into any school? I'm very worried about my GRE quantitative score and my lack of public health experience keeping me from getting in anywhere. I learned so much math and tried so hard- timed math is just not my thing!

Undergrad School: small private New England College
Undergrad GPA: 3.62
Major/Minor: Nursing
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V165 Q149 E4.5 taken for the second time on 11/1 to try to increase my Q score- but even with all the studying I did, it didn't improve.
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

Academic experience:
-public health nursing at a health dept.
-research nursing, bio, and microbiology classes
Work experience:
-1.5 yrs RN in major DC hospital
-2 yrs visiting nursing- family nursing
-2 months volunteering with Easter Seals

I've been applying to lots of jobs, internships, etc. for public health; it's just very hard to get anything right now. Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

Applied: Haven't applied anywhere yet. Finishing my essay now. Thinking about UMD, U of Pitts, and I need some more to add to my list. I need more "safe" schools to apply to.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

So I'm updating my post now (The only way I know how is by quoting it, if someone can tell me a better way, that'd be great)

Applied:
Emory-MPH Epi & Global health Epi
Yale- Epi
Pittsburgh- Epi & Infectious disease MIC
University of Arizona- Epi
University of Colorado- Epi
University of Maryland- Epi

Accepted:
University of Colorado
University of Arizona
U Pitts- Infectious disease MIC

Rejected:
Emory-Global Health Epi
Yale
Pitts- Epi

Still waiting:
Maryland
Emory- Epi

Has anyone else who applied to UMD heard anything yet? They seem to be taking much longer than other schools. I'm just waiting on them. I'm very excited about Arizona! I am most likely going there, just waiting to hear from UMD. Anyone else going to UA for their MPH?

Is anybody still waiting on Columbia Epi? At this point, they are the only school that I have not heard from.

Still no word from them. I talked to one of the admissions officers and she said two weeks ago that "your application is currently under review and we hope to have all decisions sent out in the next couple of weeks." They should notify us at the latest the end of the next week because that's two weeks before April 10th admitted student's day.

I see you accepted offer from UIC!!! Wohoo, Congrats!! =D I'm still waiting on them as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got into UMich's HMP program! Now to decide if I wanna go Epi or HMP and Michigan or Emory...

Reactions: 2 users
Update...

Predominantly applied to Health Policy and Management/Administration tracts; no scholarships so far, no grants, no correspondence prior to acceptance emails/letters.

Undergrad School:
University in the East [public school, not particularly high ranking]
Undergrad GPA: 3.447
Major/Minor: Biomedical Sciences
GradGPA (if applicable): No idea but probably 50% or lower class rank?
Grad Studies: Graduating Med School this Year [not AOA]
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Verbal 156 71 Quant. 159 74 Writin 4.0 56

Experience/Research (please, be brief):
No research at all

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Applied: Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Johns Hopkins
Accepted: Columbia, Yale, Johns Hopkins
Rejected: Harvard
Waitlisted:

Is anyone else going to Accepted Applicant Day at UMD-College Park on March 27?

So how can their Accepted Applicant Day be March 27th if I haven't even heard about an admission decision yet? That's really weird.

Still no word from them. I talked to one of the admissions officers and she said two weeks ago that "your application is currently under review and we hope to have all decisions sent out in the next couple of weeks." They should notify us at the latest the end of the next week because that's two weeks before April 10th admitted student's day.

I see you accepted offer from UIC!!! Wohoo, Congrats!! =D I'm still waiting on them as well.
Yeah, it kind of bothers me that we still haven't received any sort of notification from them yet. I submitted my application in the beginning of November and have heard from every other school on my list. Plus, the tuition and cost of living is so expensive.

Thanks! I'm very excited! I really love their program and everybody that I have spoken to over there has been super friendly.

Any information/advice on NYU as a school and the global health leadership concentration?? Not many people on this forum or anywhere for that matter applied to it , starting to freak me out now . Moreover the information on their website is no breather :( . All the program gloats of the multi disciplinary course with networking to get in the job market !!

Also Yale waiters, i spoke to the admission officer on Monday , she said the last lot of decisions are to be sent out positively by next week.

And UCLA wait is just killing me now , they keep saying next week , how many weeks will i survive this uncertainty. :bang:

Sighhhh, Yale has been telling me "Next week" every week for the past three. Last week, they said they planned on having all the decisions sent out by EOW this week. When did you submit your application? I submitted Feb 1st.

Me too still waiting on both Columbia and UIC (different department than yourself) **** this waiting game is no fun; but I am sure it will be worth it in the end :)

EDIT: BTW so my application was officially "completed" a little over a week ago, and I received an email from my department telling me so. I checked my application on the UIC Web-portal not long ago and it said my application was "incomplete". Just double check that and email them in case. I know for UIC its a bit early for me to hear back, but I still wanted to be on top of my game and make sure everything is crossed and dotted.

Last edited:
FINALLY heard from JHU. Accepted to the ScM in Epidemiology with a focus on General Epidemiology and Methods. For those keeping track at home, that was an 18 week wait. Lesson: don't listen to them when they say 8-10 weeks!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FINALLY heard from JHU. Accepted to the ScM in Epidemiology with a focus on General Epidemiology and Methods. For those keeping track at home, that was an 18 week wait. Lesson: don't listen to them when they say 8-10 weeks!

18 weeks seem to be a bit overwhelming to me. :eek::eek:

Congratulations!!! Hope you decide to come to Hopkins.

Congratulations!! I just got into the ScM in Infectious Disease Epidemiology at JH too!! Will you be going to JH?

Congratulations!! I just got into the ScM in Infectious Disease Epidemiology at JH too!! Will you be going to JH?

I don't know!! For a long time they were my number one choice, but now I'm seriously considering Harvard. I'm going to visit both and hopefully that will help me decide!

Reactions: 1 users
So how can their Accepted Applicant Day be March 27th if I haven't even heard about an admission decision yet? That's really weird.

Have you completed UMD's supplemental app? I was notified that I had been recommended for Fall 2015 admission by the Epi/Biostats department shortly after completing mine. I hope you hear from them soon!

Yeah, I'm sure I completed it. I just logged in today to make sure everything was alright and it said my application was complete and was under departmental review. Thanks! I'm wondering if it takes longer if you're in-state?

I don't know!! For a long time they were my number one choice, but now I'm seriously considering Harvard. I'm going to visit both and hopefully that will help me decide!
Which one will you be visiting? the March one or the April one? I'm leaning towards the April one.

Which one will you be visiting? the March one or the April one? I'm leaning towards the April one.

April! Why did all the schools choose March 27 as their visit day??

Well, I'm sending in my acceptance to BU tomorrow (EPI). I've been holding out for Tulane's financial aid information, but the heart wants what it wants. The pharmaceutical program really helped me to decide as well.

Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone for HPM call Columbia? ... Just want to know which day exactly I should keep refreshing my email!

I think you can decline Emory's offer via OPUS

Also I'm leaning more towards JHU's MSPH in the International Health Dept than Emory right now so we may be future classmates :)
:clap: best of luck!!

Which division in International Health are you guys going to? Any of you attending admitted students day on 10th?
I'm health policy concentration! I'm not in the States now, so I won't be able to come to the admitted students day event. Would you mind sharing your experience later if you do decide to make the trip to JHU? :happy:

I'm health policy concentration! I'm not in the States now, so I won't be able to come to the admitted students day event. Would you mind sharing your experience later if you do decide to make the trip to JHU? :happy:

If I attend, will definitely let you know :)

I will be attending JHU's Admitted Students Day on April 10th. I'll be taking notes and try to write something up.

Yeah, I'm sure I completed it. I just logged in today to make sure everything was alright and it said my application was complete and was under departmental review. Thanks! I'm wondering if it takes longer if you're in-state?
Oh, I'm a Maryland resident too. I don't believe residency affects the review process.

Admitted to Pitt today for MS in Epidemiology! Is the consensus that there is not generally funding at Pitt for master's level programs?

Finally heard from UNC's MPH Biostat - Accepted!
No word on funding though :p Heard from everyone, finally.

edit: Emory financial aid is suppose to come out today. Anyone have any update on OPUS yet? (mine didn't)

edit: Emory financial aid is suppose to come out today. Anyone have any update on OPUS yet? (mine didn't)

Haven't seen anything yet either for financial aid from Emory

Hi everyone! I'm currently deciding between GW Health Policy (I think they've added management to the department now as well) and Emory HPM - unless I get off Columbia's HPM waitlist. Pros and cons? Emory and GW are so different in their atmosphere. I know Emory has a better "name" so to say, but GW has such a central location. Any advice?

Hi everyone! I'm currently deciding between GW Health Policy (I think they've added management to the department now as well) and Emory HPM - unless I get off Columbia's HPM waitlist. Pros and cons? Emory and GW are so different in their atmosphere. I know Emory has a better "name" so to say, but GW has such a central location. Any advice?

I personally would choice GW because it is located in D.C.! I also think health policy might be their strongest department of all. There are so many opportunities and resources in D.C. that you can't possibly go wrong with GW.

The public health management (if that's what you're talking about) is for 10+ years of work experience

I applied to the program without realizing it, and then they asked me switch to another program so I went into the health policy but I was looking more courses in management

Just double check on that if that's what you're looking for as well

Still waiting on Emory. Hmph.

Still waiting on Emory. Hmph.

I visited the campus last week and spoke to MPH Admissions and financial aid. They do not release any financial aid packages until the week of April 1st. I know - very frustrating.

I visited the campus last week and spoke to MPH Admissions and financial aid. They do not release any financial aid packages until the week of April 1st. I know - very frustrating.

Ugh, if that's true, I will be incredibly annoyed. Emily Lakemaker on the Emory FB gave March 20th as the date of release on OPUs and I went home this week so that I could discuss FA stuff with my parents. Very frustrating since i'll be going back soon to attend Visit Emory and my dad is headed off on a trip soon after. Plus GSU wants to know by March 31st :uhno:

Ugh, if that's true, I will be incredibly annoyed. Emily Lakemaker on the Emory FB gave March 20th as the date of release on OPUs and I went home this week so that I could discuss FA stuff with my parents. Very frustrating since i'll be going back soon to attend Visit Emory and my dad is headed off on a trip soon after. Plus GSU wants to know by March 31st :uhno:

I feel you. This is making the decision making extremely hard and why does GSU have to know in a week!

WHAT?! They were telling everyone they'd start on 3/20. Sigh... Looks like they're pulling a Columbia and releasing after the admitted students day.

I feel you. This is making the decision making extremely hard and why does GSU have to know in a week!
I don't know about GSU's general acceptance date, but they want me to accent or decline the assistanceship+stipend by the 31st, which is ridiculous cause I only found out like 2 days ago. TF?

I don't know about GSU's general acceptance date, but they want me to accent or decline the assistanceship+stipend by the 31st, which is ridiculous cause I only found out like 2 days ago. TF?
Did you find out about the assistantship when you were accepted, or did it come later?

I got accepted to Harvard today! I'll probably go there provided I can swing it financially.

Buffalo (my hometown) also accepted me with an assistantship but I'd feel like a fool for the rest of my life if I took that over Harvard.

Reactions: 6 users