MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They said I'll hear in the next week or so. -_-

I called and left a message. so yeah i just sealed my fate. lol

Members don't see this ad.

So 33 is all you can get total? Including with the grad plus loans? Maybe you can look into private loans? It does suck how expensive this whole thing is :(

No, 33 is in unsubsidized loans. I believe grad plus is separate.

I called and left a message. so yeah i just sealed my fate. lol

At this point I assume it's a rejection. We need to make a decision in about 2 weeks. Most schools have open houses...It's just frustrating to leave us waiting this long. My birthday is next week. I'm hoping I find out before then. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you taking the unsub? I already have 30,000 from Emory undergrad I really don't want another 66,0000! Please someone tell me that having 100,000 in loans and an MPH is doable. I just want to make sure I can pay this debt off when I graduate!
I'm taking the full unsub for this year, but I hope to not have to take it my 2nd year. I also have roughly 30k in loans from undergrad and definitely do not want to be in an unmanageable amount of debt when I graduate. However, as mentioned by others, there are loan forgiveness programs that many of us will hopefully be able to utilize in the future.

Do we have to accept aid for the entire year at one time or just for the upcoming semester? I'll probably take out the plus loan just to be on the safe side but save whatever I might have left.

Thinking financially... WashU is 100% doable. Not sure about Emory. In order to cover living expenses, in addition to my REAL job I would need another job that pays me about $9k/semester... There is a professor I would really like to work with but I doubt he'll pay me that much. Sigh...

This is what I remember from undergrad, so not sure if it applies to grad school, but they're all federal loans anyway so I'm assuming it's the same...
You don't have to accept aid for the entire year. You can reject as much as you want, but since that amount has already been calculated and "set aside" for you, you can go back later on in the semester and ask for some of it back. Not sure if that makes sense, but basically at the start of one semester I rejected all of my loans and then later on in the semester went to my FA office and asked for aid and received some of the loan money that I rejected previously.

Reactions: 1 user
So 33 is all you can get total? Including with the grad plus loans? Maybe you can look into private loans? It does suck how expensive this whole thing is :(
No. 33k is the max that you are allowed to take out per year in Stafford (fed unsub) loans. Grad Plus loans are separate and are designed to allow you to take out up to the full cost of attendance as published by your school.

I have officially accepted the offer from Colorado School of Public Health MPH in Global Health- Environmental and Occupational Health. This morning I declined Environmental Health at Minnesota and took my name off the waitlist at BU. Hope this opens up a spot for someone who really wants to go there!! Unfortunately I'll be missing CSPH admitted students day on April 6th...anyone else going?

Reactions: 3 users
question: how are you all hearing about financial aid packages yet? Is that something that comes after you accept your acceptance? I did the FAFSA and designated all my schools but I read that it was ultimately up to the school to decide for me. (just anxious I'm missing something; there's no way I can do this without loans :()

Any thoughts from anyone who attended preview day at GWU. Apparently my acceptance came post the last preview day. I'm going to make a trip out there with a 1 on 1 tour in the coming weeks.

I'm very anti-making a decision without visiting the school & being able to get an overall vibe!

I've got until April 15th to make a decision

I got a 10,000 grant from Yale but it's about 10,000 more than Emory so it's a wash. Would it make sense to go to the Ivy for the name since I will have high debt with either school? I'm freaking out here. Plus Hartfood COL is higher than Atlanta. Help!

question: how are you all hearing about financial aid packages yet? Is that something that comes after you accept your acceptance? I did the FAFSA and designated all my schools but I read that it was ultimately up to the school to decide for me. (just anxious I'm missing something; there's no way I can do this without loans :()
I just got 2 of mine this week and was accepted a long time ago. I read anyone can get the 33,000 loan regardless of income.

I got a 10,000 grant from Yale but it's about 10,000 more than Emory so it's a wash. Would it make sense to go to the Ivy for the name since I will have high debt with either school? I'm freaking out here. Plus Hartfood COL is higher than Atlanta. Help!
I would consider what your interest are + which school they line up with best. i.e., if you're really interested in research, go with Yale.

Rankings-wise, it's tricky because Yale isn't ranked as high for pub health but depending on which field you're choosing, you won't be solely working in the public health arena and Yale is more prestigious in that sense. When it comes down to debt not being too different between the schools, it makes the most sense to just focus on which school fits you best.

Forgot to address this!

The COL comparison should be done between Atlanta + New Haven, not Hartford.

This link compares the two and it seems like they're fairly equal. Atlanta being more expensive in some areas and New Haven being more expensive in others.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...+States&city1=Atlanta,+GA&city2=New+Haven,+CT

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts from anyone who attended preview day at GWU. Apparently my acceptance came post the last preview day. I'm going to make a trip out there with a 1 on 1 tour in the coming weeks.

I'm very anti-making a decision without visiting the school & being able to get an overall vibe!

I am planning to visit GW the April 2nd weekend and go on a tour April 3rd. What about you?

Columbia HPM department is reviewing their waitlisted students at the end of this month (I guess that would mean this week and next week) and then again at the end of April. Crossing my fingers and hoping some spots have opened up!

Reactions: 1 users
Columbia HPM department is reviewing their waitlisted students at the end of this month (I guess that would mean this week and next week) and then again at the end of April. Crossing my fingers and hoping some spots have opened up!

They still haven't given me an answer lol; I'm now currently under review! Eeek so nerve wrecking there was a bit of a hiccup with me though ---I had a feeling :(

And for GWU I haven't decided what day tbh, but it looks like the last Monday in March or April 10th is available as well on the link they gave me. My only concern with my acceptance to GWU is Health Policy lacks a management component. I'm really more interested in the management business aspect of the MPH more than Health Policy itself. so I'm going to have to wait and see...

GWU! I finally get to move my first school out of 'applied' and into 'accepeted'.

This is so amazing because it's been a long road. Although I was confident, I was a little hesitant! So happy to have my first acceptance.

Congrats!! When did you apply, if you don't mind me asking? I applied really late (February) and am still waiting to hear back from GW.

Congrats!! When did you apply, if you don't mind me asking? I applied really late (February) and am still waiting to hear back from GW.

I applied Jan 30. I had a couple apps due Feb 1st, so I submitted them altogether. I think it was about 6 weeks between their message that they received my app, and the decision.

I emailed Betsey at Columbia and she told me my application was still under review. She apologized and said she would ask them to speed up the process!
They can take their time as long as I get accepted (well not too much time)

reached out to Dartmouth this morning and my application is still under review (guess that's better than an immediate no?) crossing fingers! Looks like a lot of exciting news for the lot of you though--congrats!!!!

I emailed Betsey at Columbia and she told me my application was still under review. She apologized and said she would ask them to speed up the process!
They can take their time as long as I get accepted (well not too much time)

Ditto! lol

I went and loved it. The students and professors are really into networking, which is a skill I personally need to develop and I felt was lacking in some other programs I applied to (cough Colorado cough). I really dig the Foggy Bottom vibe as well. If you have any specific questions, just PM me. I'm doing COPC but can give you my 2 cents for my overall experience.

Accepted at UConn! Woo hoo! But still waiting on NYU?! :boom:They told me 4 weeks, 4 weeks ago!

Reactions: 2 users
So are you taking the unsub? I already have 30,000 from Emory undergrad I really don't want another 66,0000! Please someone tell me that having 100,000 in loans and an MPH is doable. I just want to make sure I can pay this debt off when I graduate!

I'm taking the full unsub for this year, but I hope to not have to take it my 2nd year. I also have roughly 30k in loans from undergrad and definitely do not want to be in an unmanageable amount of debt when I graduate. However, as mentioned by others, there are loan forgiveness programs that many of us will hopefully be able to utilize in the future.

$100k is doable, not ideal, but doable. I'll probably have about $90-$110k with undergrad and a masters.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service

I went and loved it. The students and professors are really into networking, which is a skill I personally need to develop and I felt was lacking in some other programs I applied to (cough Colorado cough). I really dig the Foggy Bottom vibe as well. If you have any specific questions, just PM me. I'm doing COPC but can give you my 2 cents for my overall experience.

Yes I'd love that! I'll PM you as soon as I can! Thank You

$100k is doable, not ideal, but doable. I'll probably have about $90-$110k with undergrad and a masters.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service

Keep in mind that any amount forgiven is taxable income, so you could wind up owing the IRS quite a bit.

I think PSLF is a great option, but I worry about the long-term stability of the program. It just seems like a program that would be easy to cut/modify in future federal government deficits. I wouldn't be surprised to see the terms modified so that you're expected to make payments for 15 years, a cap on the max amount that can be forgiven, etc.

Keep in mind that any amount forgiven is taxable income, so you could wind up owing the IRS quite a bit.

I think PSLF is a great option, but I worry about the long-term stability of the program. It just seems like a program that would be easy to cut/modify in future federal government deficits. I wouldn't be surprised to see the terms modified so that you're expected to make payments for 15 years, a cap on the max amount that can be forgiven, etc.

Public service loan forgiveness and a few other loan forgiveness programs are not taxable.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/public-service-loan-forgiveness-common-questions.pdf

Interesting, I was not aware of that. Good info.

Part of me still thinks it's "too good to be true" as a sustainable, long term program.

Me too. I believe the program was started in 2007 so no one has qualified yet but I'm hoping it will end up being a viable way to encourage public service.

At this point it doesn't matter except to my ego, BUT: I just got into UCLA and am unnecessarily super stoked!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted at UConn! Woo hoo! But still waiting on NYU?! :boom:They told me 4 weeks, 4 weeks ago!

Called NYU yesterday and was told that it will take 1-2 weeks till they release decisions. :shrug:

Got waitlisted for Yale which to be honest is kind of a big thing because somehow I feel like better applicants at least in terms of GPA, GRE scores, and experience were rejected.

I wonder how they came to decision. Guess I'll never know. :)

Just made an account! Would really appreciate any feedback to help with choosing schools!

Undergrad School:
UC Berkeley
Undergrad GPA: 3.75
Major/Minor: Molecular & Environmental Biology
GRE (including date taken): Sep 13, Verbal: 159, Quantitative: 166, Writing: 5.5
Experience/Research:
--Biology tutor - 3 years, including teaching a large group
--Research - 1.5 years plant-derived chemicals to control agricultural crop pests
--Volunteer - 2 years at local food collective

Applied: Nutrition/Dietetics Programs (didactic and coordinated)
Johns Hopkins (MSPH-RD), UT Southwestern (MCN-RD), UMichigan (MPH), UNC-Chapel Hill (MPH-RD), Hunter College-CUNY (MS/DPD), Cal State LA (MS), Drexel (MS/DPD)
Accepted: Johns Hopkins, UT Southwestern, Univ Michigan, Hunter
Rejected: UNC - Chapel Hill
Waitlisted:

Narrowed it down to 3: JHU, UT Southwestern, and Michigan. JHU and UTSW are coordinated, so they include the dietetic internship. Michigan does not have the dietetic internship but they said they'll cover 100% of tuition. I'm also considering the general atmosphere of the cities/schools, what people think of the courses (fulfilling, too fast, too slow, not worthwhile, etc.), how well students get along, and more. So if anyone knows about the specific programs in these schools please let me know what you think. I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Last edited:
Just made an account! Would really appreciate any feedback to help with choosing schools!

Undergrad School:
UC Berkeley
Undergrad GPA: 3.75
Major/Minor: Molecular Environmental Biology
GRE (including date taken): Sep 13, Verbal: 159, Quantitative: 166, Writing: 5.5
Experience/Research:
--Biology tutor - 3 years, including teaching a large group
--Research - 1.5 years plant-derived chemicals to control agricultural crop pests
--Volunteer - 2 years at local food collective

Applied: Nutrition/Dietetics Programs (didactic and coordinated)
Johns Hopkins (MSPH-RD), UT Southwestern (MCN-RD), UMichigan (MPH), UNC-Chapel Hill (MPH-RD, Hunter College-CUNY (MS/DPD), Cal State LA (MS), Drexel (MS/DPD)
Accepted: Johns Hopkins, UT Southwestern, Univ Michigan, Hunter
Rejected: UNC - Chapel Hill
Waitlisted:

Narrowed it down to 3: JHU, UT Southwestern, and Michigan. JHU and UTSW are coordinated, so they include the dietetic internship. Michigan does not have the dietetic internship but they said they'll cover 100% of tuition. I'm also considering the general atmosphere of the cities/schools, what people think of the courses (fulfilling, too fast, too slow, not worthwhile, etc.), how well students get along, and more. So if anyone knows about the specific programs in these schools please let me know what you think. I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Michigan sponsors a dietetics internship! While it's not guaranteed you'll be accepted they have accepted 100% of their students who have applied so far. So it's essentially coordinated you just have to go through an application process.

Has anyone considered asking for an extension to pay the enrollment deposit? I'm really having a hard time making a decision by April 15...

Unfortunately, I'll probably end up in a very similar situation in terms of debt load after my masters. PSLF seems like it'll be the best option. Let's just hope it sticks around.

Even if they ended up at least capping it, which IIRC was on the table a few months ago, loans taken out before the effective date might be grandfathered in. Though you are right no one should base all their loan decisions on one program lol.

Has anyone considered asking for an extension to pay the enrollment deposit? I'm really having a hard time making a decision by April 15...

I think for some programs you may still be able to pay your deposit after the deadline, but you are just not guaranteed with a spot anymore.

Most wont allow it considering they have to have time to let people on waitlist know...

At admitted students day, Columbia said that they would only under certain circumstances, and they would need to know in advance. I'm not sure about other schools though...

Yah! Just got my second acceptance, GMU. 2 down, 2 to go!

Sophas GPA: 3.69 (3.94 SocSci), GRE: 156v/144q/4.0w
Applied (30Jan15): UIC-Epi/MCH, USF-MCH,
Accepted: GW-MCH, GMU-EPI
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Reactions: 4 users
At admitted students day, Columbia said that they would only under certain circumstances, and they would need to know in advance. I'm not sure about other schools though...

Did they mention anything about deferral?

Did they mention anything about deferral?

This is what I got off their website (http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/aca...prospective-students/faqs-all-degree-programs) about deferral for Columbia:

Can I defer?
Admitted applicants may request to defer enrollment for one year. Each requested is considered on a case-by-case basis and is not guaranteed.

Funding offers made in one admissions cycle are contingent upon matriculation in that cycle; they are not deferrable. Students who are admitted may defer, but there is no guarantee that funding will be available in a subsequent year.

Dual degree MPH applicants who have been admitted to both programs are permitted to defer.

Sooo ... just got another email from Harvard financial aid - only loans. Apparently scholarship info has gone out and I haven't received that email. Boo.
I got more from Yale which has almost next to nothing in endowments as opposed to the 300 millionK$ that Harvard got a few months ago!

Has anyone received there Financial Aid Provisional Award Letter from UCLA? The wait is slowly getting to me

Hi all! This is not entirely related, so I'm not sure where or if I should share it, but I received a job posting from a friend at UIUC about an open lab manager position. For anyone who will be in the area for their MPH and is hoping to work full time, it's a lab manager position in the Brain and Cognitive Development Lab. Feel free to PM me if you'd like details and I can forward you what he sent me.

Accepted my offer to Columbia. So glad the application process is over. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 8 users