MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received an email from South Carolina? I got a very vague email and am a little confused
I got a "we have your application" email last week. I believe they take 4-6 weeks to let you know.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm submitting my SOPHAS application next week to be verified! I also applied to UT-Austin Campus, UNT, Texas A&M, UAB & Tulane! Good luck! I would love to see an update on when you hear back from the programs. I'm hoping for UT-Austin Campus or Tulane!

You should try to submit your SOPHAS ASAP since it takes them some time to verify it. I'm assuming that a lot of applicants will be submitting this month, so it can take up to four weeks for them to verify your application. The earlier you submit, the quicker it'll be verified. Just thought you should know!

Guys, make sure that you're updating your initial post (your profile) for other posters. I've found it sometimes difficult to navigate older threads due to individuals not updating the schools they were accepted and rejected to. It helps to sometimes try to match your profile to others so you can get a clear idea if your application is weak or strong. However, there are always exceptions, but I think y'all get the point :p

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry this is a bit late but I only found this thread today. Congrats to those who have been accepted!! I hope to be as fortunate =)

Undergrad School:
Big 10 University
Undergrad GPA: 3.73
Major/Minor: Sociology major/Nutritional Sciences minor
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE October 2014 V:161 Q:159 W:4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Six months working in two nutritional laboratories as a volunteer assistant, various experience in the food industry, one year as Vice President of a ski and snowboard school, ten plus years as a coach

I am applying for coordinated MPH Nutrition and Dietetics programs

Applied: The University of Washington, the University of Minnesota, the University of North Carolina and the University of Michigan.
Accepted: The University of Minnesota's Public Health Nutrition and coordinated dietetics program, the University of Michigan's Nutrition Dietetics program, the University of North Carolina's MPH Nutrition-Dietetics program, The University of Washington Coordinated Nutritional Sciences program
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Any thoughts on New York University's MPH nutrition program?! Also, should I apply to more programs than I am? They are all very competitive (no more than a 30% acceptance rate) and I'm nervous about my chances of getting in.

Also, for those of you who have been accepted already, what is your deadline for making a decision about whether you will attend?

Thanks guys!!

Last edited:
Constantly checking this thread for new posts and reading last years thread is definitely handicapping me for Finals lol Why can't I stop this madness!!! haha

Reactions: 1 users
I'm submitting my SOPHAS application next week to be verified! I also applied to UT-Austin Campus, UNT, Texas A&M, UAB & Tulane! Good luck! I would love to see an update on when you hear back from the programs. I'm hoping for UT-Austin Campus or Tulane!
Thanks! My app was verified 11/13, but I didn't receive a notification from UT until a week later. I'll let you know when I get my decision!

Undergrad School: University of Georgia
Undergrad GPA: 3.87/4.0
Major/Minor: Psychology
GRE
: Q: 159 V:161 AW: 5.0 taken 10/6/2014
Experience/Research: Not much really public health related, just a few month volunteering at a hospital in Athens and involvement in Relay for Life and Hero (raised money for kids with AIDS). Otherwise I spent most of my college career trying to pay for it, working two jobs (60 hrs a week) in food service.

Applied: (all are MPH: Epidemiology) Yale, University of Georgia, Tulane, Georgia State, Columbia, UC Denver, Emory, BU, UCLA, and Harvard (for the MS in Epi). Sent in SOPHAS app 10/15.
Accepted: Tulane (10/28), UGA (11/30), BU (12/18), Emory (1/07), Yale (1/08), UCLA (2/03), Columbia (2/06), UC Denver (2/26), Harvard (02/27), Georgia State (3/12)

Attending: Harvard :soexcited:

Last edited:
Constantly checking this thread for new posts and reading last years thread is definitely handicapping me for Finals lol Why can't I stop this madness!!! haha
Haha, I am doing the exact same thing! And there are so many interesting threads to look through too!

Haha, I am doing the exact same thing! And there are so many interesting threads to look through too!

Ugh almost too many interesting threads lol I am just so obsessed haha

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry this is a bit late but I only found this thread today. Congrats to those who have been accepted!! I hope to be as fortunate =)

Undergrad School:
Big 10 University
GradGPA (if applicable):
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Six months working in two nutritional laboratories as a volunteer assistant, various experience in the food industry, one year as Vice President of a ski and snowboard school, ten plus years as a coach

Applied: The University of Washington, the University of Minnesota, the University of North Carolina and the University of Michigan.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Any thoughts on New York University's MPH nutrition program?! Also, should I apply to more programs than I am? They are all very competitive (no more than a 30% acceptance rate) and I'm nervous about my chances of getting in.

Also, for those of you who have been accepted already, what is your deadline for making a decision about whether you will attend?

Thanks guys!!
Obviously you have to watch app fees, but I've always gone by at least 6: 2 schools you probably won't get into ("reach"), 2 schools you have a good shot at getting into, and 2 schools you definitely will get into ("safety"). Of course you can weight it however you want; I weighted reaches pretty heavily because they coincidentally had the best opportunities in the specific research I'm interested in, but I made sure to apply to a couple I was pretty confident in. I they say 5-10 is an appropriate range. That being said, you have pretty strong stats so I think schools with 30%ish acceptance rates would be fine.

Undergrad School:
Big 10 University
GradGPA (if applicable):

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Thanks guys!!
I couldn't really tell from your experience/reserach section but do you have post grad experience? Because from my research it seems like Washington and UNC both really prefer post grad full time experience (it's generally not mandatory of course, but those two seemed the most invested in work exp). I would add 1-2 more but again depends on how much you can spend on app fees because SOPHAS is hella expensive. One thing that I found helpful for me in my research of deciding where/which schools to apply to was class sizes for the program. If the class size was small 35-40 people I guessed they would only accept about 150 students or so, maybe even less and weigh my chances. Regardless your stats are good so I wouldn't worry too much!

Thank you so much KPZ and mphwannabe! I really appreciate your help.

mphwannabe I do not have any post-grad public health work experience. I have been working since I graduated (August 2014), but it hasn't been in a relevant sector unfortunately. Hopefully that won't be a huge problem!

I would love to apply to a safety school or two, but I'm having trouble even finding Coordinated MPH in Human Nutrition and Dietetics programs. I'm pretty much applying to all of them! If anyone else is on my same track, what schools are you applying to?

Also, sorry to ask so many questions, but how long do you typically have to accept or reject a school's offer of admittance?

Hi, I'm new here. Just registered my account so that I can join the discussion

Undergrad School: International
Undergrad GPA: 3.75 (WES)
Major/Minor: Bioengineering
GradGPA (if applicable):
GRE October 2014 V:160 Q:161 W:3.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief): two years bench-work cancer research at a hospital, 1 year clinical research at a large CRO (Contract Research Organization), 3 months internship in stem cell research which resulted in publication, 3 months part-time work on a data analysis research project in university

Applied (all are MPH-Epidemiology): Johns Hopkins University (11/18), University of Michigan (11/18), Emory (11/18), UT-Houston (11/9), BU (12/5)
Accepted: Michigan (recommended for admission on 12/4), UT-Houston (email acceptance on 12/6)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Anyone know normally when will Michigan and UT release their Dean's Award and New student scholarships result? I'm really worried about how to fund my MPH degree :-s.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

mphwannabe I do not have any post-grad public health work experience. I have been working since I graduated (August 2014), but it hasn't been in a relevant sector unfortunately. Hopefully that won't be a huge problem!

I would love to apply to a safety school or two, but I'm having trouble even finding Coordinated MPH in Human Nutrition and Dietetics programs. I'm pretty much applying to all of them! If anyone else is on my same track, what schools are you applying to?

Also, sorry to ask so many questions, but how long do you typically have to accept or reject a school's offer of admittance?

Every school is different when it comes to replying to their offers, most of them expect you to give a decison by May. Overall it depends on the school and when they actually sent you your admissions offer.

Every school is different when it comes to replying to their offers, most of them expect you to give a decison by May. Overall it depends on the school and when they actually sent you your admissions offer.

Thank you that's very helpful! I was just worried a school that offered an acceptance might expect a decision before all the schools have made their decisions.

Thank you that's very helpful! I was just worried a school that offered an acceptance might expect a decision before all the schools have made their decisions.

That can sometimes be a problem since some schools don't even give decisions till the beginning of the summer! But I think that's more the case if you're waitlisted. The majority of schools do give out decisions and expect replies from applicants around the same time as each other

It could be worth e-mailing the schools you've applied to and asking when admissions decisions are released and how long after that they want you to get back to them

Guys, make sure that you're updating your initial post (your profile) for other posters. I've found it sometimes difficult to navigate older threads due to individuals not updating the schools they were accepted and rejected to. It helps to sometimes try to match your profile to others so you can get a clear idea if your application is weak or strong. However, there are always exceptions, but I think y'all get the point :p

Yah, nothing more frustrating than seeing someone with the exact same stats, applying to the exact same schools, and have their Accepted/Rejected sections left blank. Well now that I think about it probably the universe trying to tell me something.

That can sometimes be a problem since some schools don't even give decisions till the beginning of the summer! But I think that's more the case if you're waitlisted. The majority of schools do give out decisions and expect replies from applicants around the same time as each other

It could be worth e-mailing the schools you've applied to and asking when admissions decisions are released and how long after that they want you to get back to them

That's great thank you! I figure I'll wait to see where I get in before dealing with it. One thing to worry about at a time haha

UT Health Science Center just sent me an e-mail saying that they are going to begin reviewing my application, and it's been almost 1 month since SOPHAS verified my app. Just letting everyone know in case you guys were wondering!

That's great thank you! I figure I'll wait to see where I get in before dealing with it. One thing to worry about at a time haha
Good luck! Hopefully you'll get some good news soon!

I am not sure if this has been said, but I just got a letter from Columbia that said they'll be handing out admission decisions in mid-February and again in mid-March (which sounds about right based off the older threads). Well, they've started reviewing my application. That's 3 out of 6.

Does anyone know if all schools e-mail their decisions as opposed to just mailing them?

Does anyone know if all schools e-mail their decisions as opposed to just mailing them?

While lurking on GradCafe, I noticed acceptances were typically done via email and rejections were sent via snail mail.

What does anyone know about the programs at WUSTL and VCU? I applied to both, but neither are ranked since neither are in a public health school. I'm assuming both have a decent reputation (especially WUSTL), but I'm curious as to what others know about them. I stumbled onto both while searching for psychiatric epidemiology.

Heyyyyy anyone applying for upenn MPH program? I haven't hear anything from them at all...

Accepted to UT Health Science Center-Austin campus! They e-mailed me the decision

Reactions: 5 users
What does anyone know about the programs at WUSTL and VCU? I applied to both, but neither are ranked since neither are in a public health school. I'm assuming both have a decent reputation (especially WUSTL), but I'm curious as to what others know about them. I stumbled onto both while searching for psychiatric epidemiology.

WUSTL has a partnership with local medical centers and organizations like the CDC, mph candidates seems to have good prospects after graduation based on the profiles. I visited and there are a lot of internship opportunities and service programs affilated.

This is super nerve wracking. Tufts university update if anyone applied.

Tufts sends an email saying an admission decision has been made (I received one today) with the following text:

"Within the next few days, you will receive an email from "Tufts University Admissions" at [email protected] with the subject line "Tufts Username and Password." That email will contain log-in information to our Application Management website. Through this site, you may view your admissions decision letter and move forward in the admissions process."

T_T

Completed my application on 12/1 and wait in agony since. Seems to be late for the party :)

Undergrad School:
California State University, Chico
Undergrad GPA: 3.1
Major/Minor: BS in Biochemistry
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 149, Q 162, W 3.0 (11/16/14)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): student assistant in international health care issues (1.5 year), National Park Service- Agency Safety and Health department assistant (6 months), ProfH healthcare management and consulting company in Shanghai, China (1 year)

Applied: SDSU, Harvard, Columbia,UCLA, Yale, UCI, UPEEN, USC, Cornell
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Play a waiting game now :) Good luck to everyone!

Heyyyyy anyone applying for upenn MPH program? I haven't hear anything from them at all...
I applied to UPenn! My application was sent a month ago and I still haven't heard anything, not even a confirmation email that they received my application

SOPHAS has hands down THE WORST system for dealing with study abroad transcripts! I probably would have been verified by now, but I just got an email saying my application was undelivered. I am so frustrated and worried.

SOPHAS has hands down THE WORST system for dealing with study abroad transcripts! I probably would have been verified by now, but I just got an email saying my application was undelivered. I am so frustrated and worried.
I agree, they're pretty useless.

What was the problem exactly? Did you have to get your study abroad transcripts verified by WES? I would call SOPHAS constantly and keep nagging them on it.

Michigan reached out to me again today with my official acceptance e-mail. Has anyone else heard from them yet?

I received a usb flash drive (shaped like a key) in the mail from Michigan. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Anyone else get one?

WUSTL has a partnership with local medical centers and organizations like the CDC, mph candidates seems to have good prospects after graduation based on the profiles. I visited and there are a lot of internship opportunities and service programs affilated.

Thank you! I really like them so far. They seem to be invested in making sure students have opportunities in their areas of interest.

I applied to UPenn! My application was sent a month ago and I still haven't heard anything, not even a confirmation email that they received my application
I got into UPenn on 12/1. I submitted my application in september and they emailed me on 10/15 saying they had received it.

I got into UPenn on 12/1. I submitted my application in september and they emailed me on 10/15 saying they had received it.

Congratulations! At least they didn't take too long to give you a decision.

Was it an early application scheme that you applied for or was it just general admission?

Congratulations! At least they didn't take too long to give you a decision.

Was it an early application scheme that you applied for or was it just general admission?
I'm pretty sure it was just general admission. They only gave me until 1/15 to make a decision though.

I'm pretty sure it was just general admission. They only gave me until 1/15 to make a decision though.

That's insane! Most schools won't have even given out decisions by then. Plus, you won't even have received a financial aid package yet.

I agree, they're pretty useless.

What was the problem exactly? Did you have to get your study abroad transcripts verified by WES? I would call SOPHAS constantly and keep nagging them on it.

I didn't list my study abroad school as a foreign institution and my transcript only showed credit not grades but I changed it and my application was immediately verified! I was shocked but super happy!

That's insane! Most schools won't have even given out decisions by then. Plus, you won't even have received a financial aid package yet.
I didn't sign up for financial aid but yeah it will still be annoying because I won't hear from some schools until late Feb/March.

I've just got to echo everyone else and say that that's crazy. Have you talked to anyone in admissions or the departmental leadership? Where does UPenn rank on your school wishlist?

P.S.- Congratulations on your acceptance!

I've just got to echo everyone else and say that that's crazy. Have you talked to anyone in admissions or the departmental leadership? Where does UPenn rank on your school wishlist?

P.S.- Congratulations on your acceptance!
Thanks! I haven't spoken to anyone about it yet. I'm really happy with the acceptance and as of now its my #1 choice but I've only heard back from three other schools. I'm not living in the US at the moment and would really like the opportunity to visit some of the programs before making a decision. I don't think I'll be able to do that until the spring though. Do you think when you make a decision they just ask for a deposit?

Thanks! I haven't spoken to anyone about it yet. I'm really happy with the acceptance and as of now its my #1 choice but I've only heard back from three other schools. I'm not living in the US at the moment and would really like the opportunity to visit some of the programs before making a decision. I don't think I'll be able to do that until the spring though. Do you think when you make a decision they just ask for a deposit?

I believe it's usually just a non-refundable deposit to indicate that you are going to intend.

That's great you've been accepted to your #1!

What accepting an offer entails depends on the school. I'm not familiar with UPenn, but I'm surprised they didn't give you that information along with the deadline.

Last edited:
A little late on this, too, but crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Good luck to everyone else as well!

Undergrad School:
Small Private College (took 2 years of classes in high school)/UNC-Chapel Hill
Undergrad GPA: 3.72/3.28
Major/Minor: BS in Psychology/Spanish Minor
GRE: V 154, Q 158, W 4.5 (08/2014)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): since 2010, research assistant with mother and infant stress and health research- maternal drug use and effects on infants, post-partum depression, cardiovascular health of women (submitted a couple abstracts to women's health conferences); for 2 semesters, research assistant with developmental psych administrating memory assessments to elem. school kids

Yet to apply: Boston (MCH), Colorado (MCH)
Applied: UC-Berkeley (MCH 11/29), Columbia (Pop & Fam Studies 12/1), Emory (GH 12/8), George Washington (MCH 12/1), Tulane (Global MCH 12/8), UNC (MCH 12/2)
(SOPHAS verified 12/1)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Career interests are maternal, child health and global health, so I applied to schools/programs that combined both. Also expressed interest in the Master's International program though Peace Corps (if anyone has any more info on that, that'll be great!). I know Berkeley and UNC really stress MCH experience, so I hope that my research experience helps with that. Although I don't work specifically in public health, I've worked with mothers and infants since I was a freshman. I'm also trying to figure out if I should apply to Yale for SBS with a Global Health concentration.

GW has given me until April 15 (?) to let them know. Wow, that January one is super early!! That's the deadline date for a bunch of programs... For applying!

Also completely anecdotal, but for GW they're asking for a $300 one.

This is super nerve wracking. Tufts university update if anyone applied.

Tufts sends an email saying an admission decision has been made (I received one today) with the following text:

"Within the next few days, you will receive an email from "Tufts University Admissions" at [email protected] with the subject line "Tufts Username and Password." That email will contain log-in information to our Application Management website. Through this site, you may view your admissions decision letter and move forward in the admissions process."

T_T
I just got this email too. So frustrating! I wish they had just emailed out the decisions!

Accepted to Tulane this morning while at the airport about to board a flight! Pretty happy right now :)

(SOPHAS verified 11/20)

Reactions: 11 users