MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations! Very exciting! I actually accepted a spot in the MPH/RD program at the University of Washington so I'll be there in the fall. Yay for RD's to be! :)
Congrats!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got into Georgia State today which marks the end of my application cycle!
7/8 acceptances :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Long time no see.:hello:

I think I'm ready to pay the GW deposit. I'll email a student tomorrow about some minor questions but I'm mostly set in my mind on going there.

I would consider Columbia if I finally got off the waitlist within the next week. The disorganization is making me weary, though, and I don't want to deal with a school that just considers me as a paycheck, ivy league or not. I'm just so lost!

What program are you going to GW for? I accepted my offer and am on the waitlist for Columbia as well actually!

Well I have finally decided on Columbia. It's over! I will decline offers from other schools by Friday. Good luck to all waitlisted in Yale, UC Berkeley, UNC, UCLA, etc. Hopefully I will get to see you awesome folks in the field someday! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I'm 26 and one of the older students here, which is frustrating enough in itself. I'm not trying to get involved with undergraduate girls who are physically and emotionally immature. It's bad enough that Tulane's MPH program is mostly recent grads (Class of 2014). Other than the student body at Tulane, everything else is pretty stellar about the program.

Alright, I'll get off of my soapbox now, and let people get back to the conversation that matters.

there's always undergrad chicks!

Okay so the three month ordeal finally ends . Have chosen Yale Global Health over NYU Global Health leadership, hopefully not a bad decision . Would love to hear your opinions on the same. I am so in love with this forum , will miss the lengthy discussions and the waiting and speculating game . Good Luck everyone !

Reactions: 1 users
Just paid my deposit for Harvard. Will be declining Yale (AP/MPH), BU and Pitt. Good luck to everyone!

Just got notification that my application has been moved from waitlist to accept at Emory for Epidemiology. So close to the April 15th deadline.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got notification that my application has been moved from waitlist to accept at Emory for Epidemiology. So close to the April 15th deadline.
Congratz! and same. Though I have (practically) made my decision. So gonna send them the old no thanks, but thanks!

Just submitted my SIR to attend UCLA with a fellowship! Thank goodness this is all over and now time to hit the books again

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing the MSPH in International Health-SBI. How about you?
If they haven't started a FB group we probably could

I couldn't find a Facebook group for JHSPH MSPH class of 2017. From the Master's virtual session, it sounded like the school wasn't going to create one and was somewhat encouraging us to create our own.

I just made a Facebook group for the MSPH International Health program and would love for you to join me! Seems like the group has to be at least 10 members big before anyone could find us using Facebook search. Feel free to invite anyone else who is in the program! Cheers!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/989999657679751/#

Just declined Emory admission. Good luck waitlisters! Going to WashU

Congratulations! Did you send in anything to them after you got your waitlist notification?

Congratulations! Did you send in anything to them after you got your waitlist notification?
I did not. There was a little over a month between when I got my waitlist notification and when I actually got accepted, though.

What program are you going to GW for? I accepted my offer and am on the waitlist for Columbia as well actually!

Sorry for replying so late! I'm in the Global Health Program Design, Monitoring, and Evaluation program but I'm thinking about switching to Epi. How about you?

Help! Im trying to decide between Columbia MPH in SMS and Hopkins MPH (11 month). Ive been working in clinical research and want to switch tracks to healthcare consulting. Any advice? Was anyone deterred by Hopkins 11 months vs the traditional two-year?

Anyone know of a facebook group or something for students attending Drexel this fall? I'm trying to figure out where people plan to live.

Does anyone know how well GWU and BU are known in the public health community and with jobs? I am not sure if i am asking this question properly. Please let me know. I am still very confused between the two.

Is anyone attending UT (any campus not just in Houston) for his/her MPH?

Does anyone know how well GWU and BU are known in the public health community and with jobs? I am not sure if i am asking this question properly. Please let me know. I am still very confused between the two.

I have the same question as well!

Final decision made: JHSPH! It was tough to turn down Harvard's scholarship, but once I sat down and calculated living costs, tuition, fees, etc, it came out about even, and I believe JHU is a better fit for me. I look forward to seeing some of you in Baltimore this fall, and I hope my scholarship goes to one of you at Harvard instead!

Just received notification today that I got a scholarship from my second-choice program from my second-choice school. However, the wording of the scholarship is confusing: "I am pleased to inform you that we are awarding you a Dean’s Scholarship valued at 25% Tuition Only."

Does this mean I only have to pay 25% of the tuition or it just means I get 25% off the tuition?

Just received notification today that I got a scholarship from my second-choice program from my second-choice school. However, the wording of the scholarship is confusing: "I am pleased to inform you that we are awarding you a Dean’s Scholarship valued at 25% Tuition Only."

Does this mean I only have to pay 25% of the tuition or it just means I get 25% off the tuition?
Sounds like they are going to give you 25% off of your tuition.

Has anyone who got a travel grant to Emory for admitted student's day received any response about submitting the paperwork?

Has anyone who got a travel grant to Emory for admitted student's day received any response about submitting the paperwork?
I got an email from Emily Lakemaker on April 2nd about sending her documents and saying it would take 4-6 weeks to process.

The torment is over! I sent my deposit to Emory last week. Applying to grad school has been one of the most intense experiences I've encountered. Thank you to everyone who shared on this thread, it helped so much. Best of luck in your programs!

Other than declining offers online, is anyone sending a nice email to their declined schools to thank them for their time? What do you say? I really had a hard time making a decision, and I really connected to some wonderful professors, students, and staff.

I got an email from Emily Lakemaker on April 2nd about sending her documents and saying it would take 4-6 weeks to process.

was that just the original email saying your travel grant was approved? or did you get a follow up email asking for your paperwork?

So I'm super late to the game, was planning on taking a gap year and applied not expecting to get in since my app was a bit late due to hold ups with SOPHAS. I'm still waiting on decisions from the other schools I've applied to, but I got accepted into WashU. I think I can expect to get into my home state school of University of Arizona, also applied to U of Minn and GWU. I'm debating for the moment between UofA and WashU. WashU is probably the better school in general, but the issue I'm having is that the degree is through the social work school while UofA has a public health school. Does this matter? Also reputation/opportunity wise, is it better to choose WashU? And does uni matter in the public health field? I'm struggling with choosing since UofA would be way cheaper, but I did get a 20k scholarship from WashU. Any advice?

I also got an email from Emily Lakemaker after my visit to ask for copies of my receipt.

I just got in to UIC! Now, it's an impossible situation, and only one day to make it. Yikes.

Reactions: 3 users
Finally heard back from Columbia (after 6 months). Waitlisted for MPH in Epi. Confused as to why it took them so long to simply notify me that I'd been waitlisted!

Finally heard back from Columbia (after 6 months). Waitlisted for MPH in Epi. Confused as to why it took them so long to simply notify me that I'd been waitlisted!

Congrats ! Still good news do you think you'll go for it if you're off the list instead of UIC?

Congrats ! Still good news do you think you'll go for it if you're off the list instead of UIC?
Don't think so. It was originally at the top of my list, but cost of living is so high in NYC and I've been disappointed with every interaction I've had with Columbia. I feel like they lack organization and don't really provide much support for their students. Just wouldn't be the right fit for me.

Don't think so. It was originally at the top of my list, but cost of living is so high in NYC and I've been disappointed with every interaction I've had with Columbia. I feel like they lack organization and don't really provide much support for their students. Just wouldn't be the right fit for me.

Ya i feel the same in a lot of ways! I'm disappointed but at the same time the only two schools I've gotten into I will be declining lol beggars can't be choosers for me atm. Not sure why UIC is taking so long hoping there will be some movement before the end of this week, I'm stuck on my emails.

Yale for me! I declined all my remaining programs today and am apartment-hunting in New Haven this weekend.

Does anyone know the gender distribution at Emory, Columbia and Johns Hopkins? I'm eager to know. I'm at Tulane now and too far in my program to transfer, however I'm curious to know whether there's a better distribution at other colleges. I'm one of three guys in my specific program.

If you're a male like me, I would say don't undervalue the importance of choosing a program that has a good gender divide. That's one piece of research that I didn't consider when choosing Tulane, and all I can say is that it's been an incredibly tough transition for me. Luckily I only have one semester left, though it's been emotionally draining on me.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the gender distribution at Emory, Columbia and Johns Hopkins? I'm eager to know. I'm at Tulane now and too far in my program to transfer, however I'm curious to know whether there's a better distribution at other colleges. I'm one of three guys in my specific program.

If you're a male like me, I would say don't undervalue the importance of choosing a program that has a good gender divide. That's one piece of research that I didn't consider when choosing Tulane, and all I can say is that it's been an incredibly tough transition for me. Luckily I only have one semester left, though it's been emotionally draining on me.

I am very interested in this subject as I will soon join a cohort that is (like most schools of public health) heavily weighted towards one end of the gender continuum. In my case it is 75-25 or so. I am excited about the program but honestly a bit apprehensive about the dynamic that such a group might produce.

I will emphasize that this is not a product of any negative experience I have working with women; rather, simply basic unfamiliarity with such a milieu.

Would you be willing to share any more? How has it affected your social and/or academic experience?

Ya i feel the same in a lot of ways! I'm disappointed but at the same time the only two schools I've gotten into I will be declining lol beggars can't be choosers for me atm. Not sure why UIC is taking so long hoping there will be some movement before the end of this week, I'm stuck on my emails.
Have you received anymore updated from UIC? Last I remember, you were still trying to figure out from them if they would require an interview for your department?

I am very interested in this subject as I will soon join a cohort that is (like most schools of public health) heavily weighted towards one end of the gender continuum. In my case it is 75-25 or so. I am excited about the program but honestly a bit apprehensive about the dynamic that such a group might produce.

I will emphasize that this is not a product of any negative experience I have working with women; rather, simply basic unfamiliarity with such a milieu.

Would you be willing to share any more? How has it affected your social and/or academic experience?
I am a male that went to an undergrad that was roughly 75:25 (women:men) and was in a major that was even more female dominated. Even though undergrad is different than grad school, I don't feel like it had any affect at all on my academic experiences and had little/no affect on my social experiences. How it affects your social experiences is really going to be person-dependent, but I don't see it affecting your academic experiences at all.

Have you received anymore updated from UIC? Last I remember, you were still trying to figure out from them if they would require an interview for your department?

Nothing else other than an interview is apart of the interview component for HPA @ UIC but I haven't seen anyone who's been accepted mention anything on the thread.

I'm hoping for some movement before the end of this week

Women are equally as capable as men, so I don't think you need to be apprehensive of working with mostly women... Truly you will only notice a difference if you are intending to notice a difference.

Reactions: 5 users